Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,451 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:43 PM

Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! (8274 Views)

Buhari Withdraws Ibeto From Ministerial List - Vanguard / Sabo Mohammed-Nakudu Withdraws Vote Of Confidence On Saraki / Bravery: Naval Officer Sacrificed Himself After Discovering Boko Haram Landmine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by TechRev: 9:21am On Nov 20, 2012
Reuters, the International News Agency has withdrawn a violence video purported to be taken in Maiduguri last week after discovering that the video was a fake video. Reuters had previously alleged that the video was sent to it by a soldier who witnessed the killings, but when contacted, the Nigerian Army spokesman, Colonel Mohammed Yerima, had denied the video claiming it was a set up by Boko Haram for propaganda purposes.

He had said when contacted about the video that "How can they do that? It is not possible. This is the Boko Haram tactics," he said. "They will do the killing, say it's the military and then Amnesty International and so on will blame us. It's not possible for Nigerian troops to act in this way."

But after investigating the story and finding it to be false, Reuters released the following statement below;

(Reuters) - Please be advised that the Nigeria story issued on November 18, 2012, reporting that a video showed Nigerian troops shooting unarmed captives, is withdrawn.

The story is withdrawn because questions have been raised about the date and location of the video.

The following story has been withdrawn:

http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-violence-story-withdrawn-012117207.html

When will they tender apology to JTF? The link on their website gives you a dead end, it should not be a dead end rather an apology to JTF!

2 Likes

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by TechRev: 9:26am On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by wesley80(m): 9:35am On Nov 20, 2012
Oh dear! oh dear!! oh dear!!! This is one big humble pie to chew.
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Demdem(m): 11:03am On Nov 20, 2012
Excellent news. Evil BOKo must be flushed out and not negotiated with. however care must taken to avoid the killing of the innocent. The mistake of negotiating with Evil MEND must not be repeated.

4 Likes

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by sanchez4eva: 11:16am On Nov 20, 2012
When people ASSUME...They make an a55 out of you and me

1 Like

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Kx: 11:18am On Nov 20, 2012
Why publish a news item without first investigating its authenticity?
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by lankspex(m): 11:22am On Nov 20, 2012
Junk journalism,thought they would know better,what happened to investigative journalism?

1 Like

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by ACM10: 11:23am On Nov 20, 2012
What of the torture pictures? Is it staged too? undecided
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by jeffizy(m): 11:27am On Nov 20, 2012
I wish JTF can sue their white behind!
And people here were going on and on about jtf without remorse.
Shame on all these half baked foreign media and their penchant for sensational stories that puts us in bad light.
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by megxo(m): 11:27am On Nov 20, 2012
phuckin REUTERS!!!!!!!!! angry
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 20, 2012
Darkness can never stand in the presense of light.

1 Like

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by duality(m): 11:30am On Nov 20, 2012
I don't have problems with the report. I have big issues with the way Niralanders respond to issues without thinking for one sec.

Secondly, Seun loves to sensationalise issues hence, lost of front page crap.

2 Likes

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by salolo(m): 11:33am On Nov 20, 2012
this is not good.
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by mafiacent(m): 11:38am On Nov 20, 2012
Something is ...
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Ganys: 11:39am On Nov 20, 2012
Wetin you expect Naija Army to sayundecidedundecided
Na only for Naija you Go See Prick inside woman toto and she go deny say Na BANANA shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by mu2sa2: 11:41am On Nov 20, 2012
Even if d video is fake d fact remains that jtf men are involved in d most despicable killing of innocent people, and arson. These acts are done in public glare and do not require vdeo footage to be authenticated.

3 Likes

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Maxymilliano(m): 11:45am On Nov 20, 2012
Demdem: Excellent news. Evil BOKo must be flushed out and not negotiated with. however care must taken to avoid the killing of the innocent. The mistake of negotiating with Evil MEND must not be repeated.

What's excellent about the news if I may ask? Is this not the same type of conjectural laced news you like feasting on and coming up with flawed conclusions?

Anyway, Reuters only succeeded in exposing their follies and their evil intentions against the country, why in the name of every thing that is good will the purported video be published and allowed to go viral without authenticating its source?

It only shows that even foreign medias are susceptible to our home grown style of politics.

4 Likes

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Demdem(m): 11:52am On Nov 20, 2012
Maxymilliano:

What's excellent about the news if I may ask? Is this not the same type of conjectural laced news you like feasting on and coming up with flawed conclusions?

Substantiate ur claims and prove to all that u arent a liar. Show me where i ever referenced this alleged act by JTF? If this news is true, it would have been a huge moral burden on the neck of the JTF to proceed with flushing out evil BOKO. That explains why its an excellent news for me.
By the way, that doesnt mean the innocent hasnt been cut off between JTF and evil BOKO.

Anyway, Reuters only succeeded in exposing their follies and their evil intentions against the country, why in the name of every thing that is good will the purported video be published and allowed to go viral without authenticating its source?

Then i expect u to declare that the retardeen's chat only expose Abati's follies as regards some of his earlier statements. Journalists at times makes mistakes and only the courageous will re-trace their steps. Reuters correcting their mistakes suggests to me that the are indeed credible.

It only shows that even foreign medias are susceptible to our home grown style of politics.

The same foreign media that told us Patience is sick while those at home were stating otherwise grin grin grin Anyway, like i said, Reuters is in-line.

I have this feeling u seem to enjoy my back, u welkom grin
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by bory09(m): 12:06pm On Nov 20, 2012
Ganys: Wetin you expect Naija Army to sayundecidedundecided
Na only for Naija you Go See Prick inside woman toto and she go deny say Na BANANA shocked shocked
try and find good illustration not the ashawish and silly one that you write above
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by pappilo(m): 12:18pm On Nov 20, 2012
Nigerians are truly daft and with short memories. At no point in that statement has Reuters admitted that the video is fake, they have withdrawn the story (temporarily I would guess) because the Nigerian authorities have 'raised concerns' about it's date and location.

I don think any member of the public has seen the video but didnt Al Jazeera show several videos of these types of heinous acts being committed by the JTF during the capture and murder of Mohammed Yusuf, Baba Fugu Mohammed and several young men in the same Maiduguri.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2010/02/2010298114949112.html
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by begwong: 12:21pm On Nov 20, 2012
I have said it yesterday on that thread that boko Haram are in possession of Military camouflage,AK 47 and other military gadgets able to create that fake video.
Remain aljazeera!
tongue

1 Like

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by wesley80(m): 12:42pm On Nov 20, 2012
Demdem:

I have this feeling u seem to enjoy my back, u welkom grin

What happened? Your boldening key malfunctioned?

2 Likes

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Asiwaju9ja(m): 12:48pm On Nov 20, 2012
duality: I don't have problems with the report. I have big issues with the way Niralanders respond to issues without thinking for one sec.

Secondly, Seun loves to sensationalise issues hence, lost of front page crap.

The problem is most nairalanders are childish. They do not have any reasoning faculty. They just go with the news. They don't have critical thinking at all. I understand the way u feel bro.

Most of them are just kids(easily impressionable)
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by pekelepekele(m): 12:51pm On Nov 20, 2012
Forget it Nigerian Army must have done that . Are we fools We all know how this hoodlums beat civilians and also encourage civilians to do jungle justice on one another. Reuters are just so stupid to accept that the Nigerian Army won't deny that
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Noraokon: 12:51pm On Nov 20, 2012
i seriously buy the idea of the JTF suing the hell out of those bastards.aw can they be feeding the whole world with false news about Nigeria. The Federal government seriously needs to press charges against this Idiots.
jeffizy: I wish JTF can sue their white behind!
And people here were going on and on about jtf without remorse.
Shame on all these half baked foreign media and their penchant for sensational stories that puts us in bad light.
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Demdem(m): 12:56pm On Nov 20, 2012
wesley80: What happened? Your boldening key malfunctioned?

That was suppose to be a footnote specifically for that poster. I guess he has gotten the message.
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by Basic(m): 1:00pm On Nov 20, 2012
Nonsense! When I read that Reuters "discovered the video was fake", I thought they did a thorough investigation.
So Reuters simply accepted the words of the Army spokesman, and then claimed to have "discovered the video was fake".
What would the army claim before? Would the army claim that the video was original?
Reuters is simply senseless and acting unprofessionally.
It's like me saying "I've discovered OBJ didn't steal Nigeria's money, due to the fact that he denied it in a phone conversation." Nonsense media!
The army and the JTF have been ruthless all their lives, and we all know that. So, let Reuters make their stu.pid discovery using another source.
Reuters my foot!
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by fergusen: 1:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by nagoma(m): 1:32pm On Nov 20, 2012
Video or no Video the reality is that JTF round up and murder innocent citizens. This is seen by everybody in Maiduguri and Damaturu. This fact is not based on video and withdrawal of one video doesn't exonerate the mass murderers.
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by kabba7(m): 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2012
Hell I belive D video story to be true.
If reuters buckle under the Nigerian government presure they better say it.
Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by sluch333: 1:54pm On Nov 20, 2012
pekelepekele: Forget it Nigerian Army must have done that . Are we fools We all know how this hoodlums beat civilians and also encourage civilians to do jungle justice on one another. Reuters are just so stupid to accept that the Nigerian Army won't deny that

you are a FOOLISH FOOL, u really look like your name.

1 Like

Re: Reuters Withdraws Maiduguri Video After Discovering It Is Fake! by sluch333: 1:55pm On Nov 20, 2012
pekelepekele: Forget it Nigerian Army must have done that . Are we fools We all know how this hoodlums beat civilians and also encourage civilians to do jungle justice on one another. Reuters are just so stupid to accept that the Nigerian Army won't deny that

you are a FOOLISH FOOL, u really look like your name. shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Acknowledged His Wife Before Osibanjo! / Rivers Rerun: INEC Panel Indicts Security / Reps Move Against Medical Tourism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.