Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,891 members, 7,806,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:49 PM

Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest (10940 Views)

OPINION: 8 Reasons Why Bsc Is Superior To HND / Bsc.economics/ed Vs Bsc.economics. / Hnd Vs Bsc, B. Eng, Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by Aliyasimam: 6:52am On Feb 07, 2008
Recently my friend got admission in polytechnic to enroll HND Computer Science, i told him to go ahead, he spent almost five years looking admission in University without getting it with all the necessary qualification he has, i have been advising over the past 5 years to consider going to school as only to acquire knowledge not certificate. Last 2 years i told him time is againts him, he should go and obtained diploma rather than wasting time looking for something that he dont know the time to get it. Now he completed his ND and he got admission to run HND Computer Science, he came to seek my advice and i told him to go ahead, i know all the descrimination that these HND holders are facing from their so-called university counterpart, i told to go and study well not only to get certificate, because your experience will determined who you are not a bunch of certificate that are sign by VC. I want all my brothers in this forum that are feeling pompous because they graduated from so-called Naija universities to know that, in todays Nigeria your qualification wont save you. How many dumb and Illiterate, looters politician you know in your vicinity that are enjoying your money without writing even alphabate A in nursery talkless of high institution. I want all my brothers here to understand that, you better learn to acquire knowledge rather than expecting to be rich after you graduate. Many of this so-called Naija University graduates now became conductors, some of them choose OKADA to earn their livelyhood while their certificate got dust, and no time for consideration. I believe polytechnics are producing student that are more reliable and more creative than university, if you look at the level of practical experiance they have, i think it is not fair to raise any sort of descrimination for HND holders. What i want all so-called university graduate to know is that: if you are engineer but you cant engineer any thing, you are computer scientist but you cant compute, computerised and program anything, you are electrical engineer but you cant carry-out even a Bungalow wiring that means you an empty vacuum, because all these things are made practical rather than on written paper. If Babbage make computer only on paper, you would have not seen it today, work with it and even come to this forum and air your opinion. If Macheal Faraday is like Naija so-called graduate that know nothing practical you would have not seen electricity. My last advice is that if you are so-called university graduate try to probe that you are real computer scientist, engineer, and so on, but remember all these things are not only on paper, try to make sure that you are real engineer, or computer scientist otherwise one day Practical Petition Tribunal (PPT) will nullify your so-called university election.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by princekay1(m): 7:25am On Feb 07, 2008
what you said is a thrash! how can you compare a university graduate with an HND holder? in engineering, Bsc holders are engineers while HND holders are "technicians"!

when you talk of standard, quality of delivery, all round knowledge then you will realise that university graduates have an edge over their polytechnic counterparts.

why do you think courses like LAW, MEDICINE, PHILOSOPHY, SOCIOLOGY, PHARMACY and CELL BIOLOGY AND GENETICS ENIGINEERING are not offered in polytechnics. besides, have you been to these polytechnics before to check their standard? try Laspotech, Mapoly, Ireepoly, Poly Esa-Oke, etc, you will know that it is better to wait at home taking professional courses than to waste precious times in these schools.

thanks.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by zebra(m): 6:11pm On Feb 07, 2008
princekay1:

what you said is a thrash! how can you compare a university graduate with an HND holder? in engineering, Bsc holders are engineers while HND holders are "technicians"!

when you talk of standard, quality of delivery, all round knowledge then you will realise that university graduates have an edge over their polytechnic counterparts.

why do you think courses like LAW, MEDICINE, PHILOSOPHY, SOCIOLOGY, PHARMACY and CELL BIOLOGY AND GENETICS ENIGINEERING are not offered in polytechnics. besides, have you been to these polytechnics before to check their standard? try Laspotech, Mapoly, Ireepoly, Poly Esa-Oke, etc, you will know that it is better to wait at home taking professional courses than to waste precious times in these schools.

thanks.

For you not to know that Technicians are people with only ND means you are ignorant of what a Technician is. HND graduates in Engineering Technology are called Technologists, and Technologists are more or less Engineers with practical skills.

HND in Nigeria can be very well compared with the Bsc certificate. It has been proven several times. HND accountancy graduates do better than Bsc Accounting graduates. HND Enginering graduates do better practically than BEng and Bsc Engineering graduates.

Stop looking down at those polytechnics you just listed; they have chunned out several guys that are doing well today. Don't we have universities that are sub-standard in Nigeria?? Many of the universities in Nigeria can not be compared to most polytechnics like kaduna poly, yaba tech, fedpoly Bauchi, Ibadan poly, Auchi poly etc.

Polytechnics chunn out Technological graduates which is what developing countries need to develop fully; but because of the discrimination even people that would have done better as Technological graduates all run to the universities where they end up knowing little or nothing about Technology.

4 Likes

Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by Aliyasimam: 11:24am On Feb 08, 2008

thanks.

I would' not be suprise with this statement, because you are typical Nigerian, that's why we remain where we are, if not set back. In all the developed countries we have today they totally relied on people that has practical experience rather than those with only bunch of papers. I believe if the opputunity is given to those polytechnics to run the courses you listed above they would produce good and talented student more than this so-called university graduate that most of them have now becomes OKADAS or Conductors in our large cities. And the remain reason why this people are always trying to create desrimination is that, when someone know better than you you dont want him to be near you, that is Nigerianism. In todays Nigeria going to university is like worshipping God if not better, we have to cease from this bad act otherwise we will remain a dumb country that cant produce anything for ourselves. No wonder it's all about corruption, you will either be a taker or a giver to survive in this Naija. Case rest.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by princekay1(m): 11:17pm On Feb 08, 2008
you are only saying this because you are a Nigerian. the difference between Uni and Poly is like that of Senate and House of Rep. lets not shy away from the fact that both are different. its the truth.

tell me why an HND grad is admitted into 300 level in University? are they still the same thing?
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by jmichael90: 4:03pm On Feb 09, 2008
Laughing my head off smiley) let forget discrimination in this stage of our country, we have good and bad products from both universities and polytechnics. It is a matter of yourself and what you want for yourself, many student are the achetech of their own failure or bad performance. I love the advice of Aliyasimam. Please no quarel and insult, just a peace of information, let stop nigerian mentality, any slightest thing we start fight. The fact is that our educational system is so hard, strict but yet no value that can guarantee us success in life after school, soit is good to educate yourself for your quality rather than aim at certificate to get employ in oil company or banking sector. If you build yourself well people we recognise you and you will achieve your dream asap. More advice pls.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by Aliyasimam: 4:17pm On Feb 09, 2008
You are refering to Senate and House of Rep? good, I know what you mean, senate are superior than Rep, if its, why the senate cant say no more House of Rep in Nigeria, and why the descrimination did'nt exist between them, as the so-called uni graduate showing descrimination and some of them even calling for the scrapping of HND in Nigeria. On the issue of admitting HND holder into 300 level in University is nothing but kind of corrupted universities we have in this country. Many student today scored 300 point, 250, 200 in their jamb and they have all the requirement in their O'level to be considered for admission into universities but still they could not make it, why? tell me why? and what this people want them to do? to go and stay at home with all the good qualification they have? Please man know the truth and believe in it. lets follow the advice jmichael90 and forget everything, dont deceive yourself with certificate only without job. that is Naija!!!!
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by zebra(m): 4:25pm On Feb 09, 2008
princekay1:

you are only saying this because you are a Nigerian. the difference between Uni and Poly is like that of Senate and House of Rep. lets not shy away from the fact that both are different. its the truth.

tell me why an HND grad is admitted into 300 level in University? are they still the same thing?

That is the discrimination we are talking about. Starting from 300 leavels or 200 levels does not mean that the HND certificate is inferior to the Bsc certificate. What matters most is the credit load of your course. To get a Degree in the UK and in Nigeria too, one requires a minimum of 120 credit hours. Before you can obtain HND in Nigeria you must have a minimum of 120 credit hours too; so what is the difference??
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by jmichael90: 4:40pm On Feb 09, 2008
I have been to polytechnic and universities and i must tell that there is no cause for discrimination between the two bodies. I believe in life that your capability will pave way for you in your endeavour. We have discipline in uni and poly more grin unless you are not serious student that's when you will come out woefully. I share the view Aliyasimam dont wait 2 or 3yrs if not ever to gain admission into university cos hoping there is good standard or advantage over polytechnic or profession training school. Make hail while the sun shine, time wait for no one. Take the opportunity that comes your way.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by princekay1(m): 7:09am On Feb 16, 2008
one of the greatest problems that cause underdevelopment in Africa is the inability of Africans to point out the truth when it matters most. Nigerian, most especially, do not like hitting the nail by the head, which is too bad!
when Ruggedman admitted that some MCs are not rapping, so they should switch to "Juju" most people kicked against it; now it is paying off. Nigerian artistes are enjoying the dividents.
Now, untill we dichotomise Uni and Poly, we may not experience proper development in our educational sector. we must be ready to call a spade a spade.
Even within the Uni circle, there is already a discrimination between Fed Uni and State Uni. Poly grads should see the discrimination as a challenge and rise up to it, with the aim of justifying the worth of their certificates. Thats it.
I still maintain my stand, you can never compare, for instance, a graduate of UNILAG and Oshun Poly, Iree or Lagos City Polytechnic, Ikeja. (Only a fool will do that!)

1 Like

Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by zebra(m): 7:59pm On Feb 16, 2008
@princekay1
What course did you read in the university??So all graduates of university of Lagos are excellent and all graduates of Iree polytechnic and Lagos city polytechnic are dull??

You must be a lunatic for reasoning that way.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by princekay1(m): 4:39am On Feb 18, 2008
@zebra

u must be that lunatic!
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by meshinoye(m): 4:10pm On May 22, 2009
@ Princekay1

So you have not had about Unilag graduates that are selling newspapers.
While the Esa -Oke technicains are working with Shell as a technician? According to UNISCO, we need one Engineer to 10 Technicians. Forget about the name UNILAG! Its the potientials u have that matters most. You forget that Esa-Oke is not just a Polytechnic but the only state College of Tchnology in Nigeria. we you really you get to the school engineering complex, u will have a rethink. Taking about University that are good at engineering in 9ja, you must count: OAU, UI, UNN, FUTA, FUTMINNA, and others. UNILAG is no place in engineering. just administrative courses only. Forgrt about certificate!
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by baron2000(m): 9:26am On May 23, 2009
can somebody tell me why the polytechnics in uk were converted to universities and then up-graded? cos i don't understand how a school without a single professor(like fed. poly ede)will be compared with a school like oau with an endless list of professors and world renowned academics. why do you compare sleep with death, no way cool cool cool
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by sofeo(m): 9:59am On May 23, 2009
I feel you ma guy never mind them, Though in some cases , you can't compare some POLY to UNI. And I think it really depends on how people were fully loaded from their specific schools that makes them to get job quickly and while it also makes some to be jobless, And that's why you see some people getting work immediately after the graduation and you see some people chilling around and that has not even get job till now.

Am talking from what I've seen, and if I should be stating what I have seen this page will fullllllllll

Yoruba proverbs says ( ORITATO SORI ) = head is different from head.

But really, you cannot compare UNI with POLY ok?, unless we want to deceive our selfs.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by zebra(m): 9:55am On May 25, 2009
sofeo:

I feel you ma guy never mind them, Though in some cases , you can't compare some POLY to UNI. And I think it really depends on how people were fully loaded from their specific schools that makes them to get job quickly and while it also makes some to be jobless, And that's why you see some people getting work immediately after the graduation and you see some people chilling around and that has not even get job till now.

Am talking from what I've seen, and if I should be stating what I have seen this page will fullllllllll

Yoruba proverbs says ( ORITATO SORI ) = head is different from head.

But really, you cannot compare UNI with POLY ok?, unless we want to deceive our selfs.

What makes you feel that way? Try and carry out a research and find out if at the end of the 4 or 5 years those taught by professors in universities become more intelligent and sound than those taught by probably Msc Degree holders in polytechnics.
do that and get back to nairaland to prove your point.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by sofeo(m): 12:44pm On May 25, 2009
zebra:

What makes you feel that way? Try and carry out a research and find out if at the end of the 4 or 5 years those taught by professors in universities become more intelligent and sound than those taught by probably Msc Degree holders in polytechnics.

Lol, Did you hear me saying that those who went to Universities were more intelligent than those who went to Poly?,

Did I ever say that?, I think you went to POLY right?, anyway, I've known what you mean and where you were going, it's just that you didn't get my point very well, And you didn't even understand what I mean, you were even asking me to carry out a research (research on what)?.

That's funny.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by baron2000(m): 1:06pm On May 25, 2009
zebra:

NO MIND AM NA POLY GRADUATE. WHY GETTING WORKED UP BRO? cool cool cool cool
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by zebra(m): 1:23pm On May 25, 2009
sofeo:

Lol, Did you hear me saying that those who went to Universities were more intelligent than those who went to Poly?,

Did I ever say that?, I think you went to POLY right?, anyway, I've known what you mean and where you were going, it's just that you didn't get my point very well, And you didn't even understand what I mean, you were even asking me to carry out a research (research on what)?.

That's funny.

do a research to find out if those that graduated with hnd from poly and those that graduated from uni with bsc are equally good or not. infact your null hypothesis should be that the uni bsc graduates are better than the poly hnd graduates. tank u.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by sofeo(m): 2:08pm On May 25, 2009
baron2000:

NO MIND AM NA POLY GRADUATE. WHY GETTING WORKED UP BRO? cool cool cool cool

Thanks my brother, That's why he's talking like that.

@zebra,

I told you already that head is different from head. Sometimes you will see a graduate of UNI that doesn't know anything and sometimes you will see a POLY graduates that can perform better even than UNI graduates. And sometimes you will see a UNI graduate that performs better than 3 graduates from POLY.

So it's really depends on how serious you really are, during your schooling. You know what? I have seen many, but I just don't want to be talking about them cos it would be like someone is messing them up in their absence and I pray that God won't let such a thing happen to me and my relatives.

I've seen alots before talking in public like this. So you don't even really have to be telling me to carry out another research. Cos It's like am doing research everyday, and am still even seeing alots in my place of work.

That is it.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by zebra(m): 5:32pm On May 25, 2009
sofeo:

Thanks my brother, That's why he's talking like that.

@zebra,

I told you already that head is different from head. Sometimes you will see a graduate of UNI that doesn't know anything and sometimes you will see a POLY graduates that can perform better even than UNI graduates. And sometimes you will see a UNI graduate that performs better than 3 graduates from POLY.

So it's really depends on how serious you really are, during your schooling. You know what? I have seen many, but I just don't want to be talking about them cos it would be like someone is messing them up in their absence and I pray that God won't let such a thing happen to me and my relatives.

I've seen alots before talking in public like this. So you don't even really have to be telling me to carry out another research. Cos It's like am doing research everyday, and am still even seeing alots in my place of work.

That is it.

you are coming home now. i thought some of you said that since uni graduates where taught by professors it makes them better than poly graduates who were not taught by professors? For your info poly and uni are two different schools, with 2 different purposes. We should only be comparing poly with poly, uni with uni and not poly with uni. the question we should be asking is if the engineers have lived up to expectation and if the technologist too have lived up to expectation, because at the moment nothing seems to be working well in nigeria, and we have engineers and technologists.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by sofeo(m): 6:20pm On May 25, 2009
Well, I pray that things will get better for Nigeria ooo. Cos all the faults were from Nigerian government.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by sofeo(m): 9:31am On May 26, 2009
pecheux:

NOTICE! NOTICE!! NOTICE!!!
WAHO! Something new has come to stay.
Guess what? With IJMB your prolong admission problem into the university with jamb has been solved.
IJMB(interim joint matriculation board) is an eight months 'A' level program which will qualify you automatically to be admitted into 200 level at university of ilorin, zaria and any other Nigerian federal universities without any stress and delay. Cost very affordable.
Don’t miss out these wonderful opportunity quickly contact 08063078904, 07066912043 for more information.

Bros Make una advertise well ooo, ok?

Una go see customers.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by zebra(m): 11:01am On May 26, 2009
sofeo:

Well, I pray that things will get better for Nigeria ooo. Cos all the faults were from Nigerian government.

honestly the government have failed us, and that is why both engineers and technologists can not recognize the role(s) they are to play in the society; instead engineer thinks he's a technologist and the technologist thinks he's an engineer. very funny.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by sofeo(m): 10:30am On May 27, 2009
Na so oooo.
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by elbulk(m): 1:32pm On Jun 19, 2009
People 1st in the UK a HND has less credit units but in nigeria its same with a BSC, it is because of this that south africa made all their polytechnics(technikons) universities of technology, plus people going to a university doesnt make you better, i'm an IT professional and to d best of knowledge nigerian qualifications in IT r useless cos they are out dated, our educational system is down, so its same thing my ppl be it university or polytechnic, we still dnt have up to date curriculums and facilities, but for technical stuff and accountin its poly all d way, plus as a whole school teaches you only a bit but teach urself d rest, if ure good @ what u do regardless of qualification you will excel
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by wizsultan: 4:08pm On Jun 19, 2009
immature thread!!!
pls close thread immediately
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by wizsultan: 4:09pm On Jun 19, 2009
immature thread!!!
pls close thread immediately
Re: Hnd Vs Bsc Is The Case Rest by JosephUdoh1(m): 4:59pm On Apr 28, 2013
There's no need for argument... The only truth is that a graduate with First class upper result in BSC will be respected any he/she goes...but HND holders will not always be recognised in a Hospital, Company etc esp if there are so many BSC grauduates seeking for the same job... Bsc holders are superior to HND graduates cos 1. BSC involves 5yrs Learnings like in Med Labs my course.
2. Bigger Hospitals n Companies are mostly looking for BSC holders, though some BSC holders are not better than HND holders in d same field. The truth of d matter is dat- itz not
all abt acquiring a BSC/HND upper(4.50-5.00) results is d case, but ur personal reading, studying, Practical n Quantitative learning/Research... A secondary school student can connect a simple circuit,...but some HND and BSC holders cannot do this becos some of dem may've been sorting Lecturers, Expo and dulging lectures. They wrote JAMB and pass using Expos...but the ''WHO IS WHO'' is always be determined during JOB interviews....
Pls Stop argueing! ..... It's wat u ve upstairs dat mattered, not Certificate pls...

I remain Joseph Udoh. 2013 Jamb CBT Candidate... I dont need runs/Expo pls...
Add me in Facebook- username... JOEpraise07.

(1) (Reply)

Novena University Gets NUC Approval For Law, Medical, Postgraduate Programmes / Change Of Institution Form Registration Problem / Top 10 Most Read Books In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.