Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man (11658 Views)

Muslim Man Seen Praying In The Rain In Benin (Photo) / Seeking A Practising & Young Muslim Lady For Marriage / Church Members Save Muslim Man Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 5:05pm On Nov 20, 2012
Salam Alaykum, sometimes I get contacted by people on different issues privately and this is what has happened regarding the story you are about to read:

Brother X made contact with me and he has several problems. The first is that he is indigent as his parents are not capable of supporting him (the reasons are immaterial, just accept that they can't help him financially). He lives with friends here in Lagos and has been struggling to raise money to study an ICT professional course. He believes that once he finishes and passes the exams, he can use the money earned to sustain himself in terms of finance. He has his O-levels but is not thinking of University admission for now because he just can't afford to be a student at the moment, he has to pay his bills. To make matters worse, he cannot afford to pay for the professional course and exam as well. All of this stress has taken a toll on his faith as well- his salat aren't as frequent and timely as they used to be. His faith is waning.

Now, he is thinking of a solution to all his problems, the bolded are his words with a few grammatical corrections from me to make it comprehensible, he was typing on IM:

I want to ask a question that goes does (sic), its about me. I have some friends that are into yahoo are u following me? And they collect good pay most times and am a poor boy for now cos i dont have what i want or any one to help only Allah. So, I was thinking would it be good if i do a bit of yahoo just to raise money for my courses? It looks cool to me cos i wld stop as soon as i make some money for what i want to do but my question is: how smart is that and what does Allah say about such?

Questions:

1. Indeed, what does Allah say about such and how smart is this idea?

2. What are the alternatives open to this young man?

3. Is there anyone willing to help him? He has knowledge of computers and networking.

4. What can we do as Muslims and a society to help our young men and women in similar condition as Brother X?

Note: I have his approval to create this thread.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 20, 2012
First, I think this is a very weak excuse for someone to start losing eeman and affecting salat.

Now, your questions:

Clearly haram. In Islam, the methodology is as important as the intention. And this is not a matter of life and death, so dharur(very critical exception) doesnt come in here.

Find job. With his O'level, he still can find get jobs. Cleaners here collect up to N20k per month.

3. Is there anyone willing to help him? He has knowledge of computers and networking.
I hope we find. That will be fine. Javalove? Would contact him on Facebook

4. What can we do as Muslims and a society to help our young men and women in similar condition as Brother X?
Honestly, I don't think this is a very critical condition. Alhamdulilah, he is able bodied and in good health. There are people that are down with ill-health and on top of that very poor and even homeless. That, however, doesnt mean we cannot help people in such situation. Can our IT brothers work something out for him?

9 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by busar(m): 7:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
Jarus: First, I think this is a very weak excuse for someone to start losing eeman and affecting salat.

Now, your questions:

Clearly haram. In Islam, the methodology is as important as the intention. And this is not a matter of life and death, so dharur(very critical exception) doesnt come in here.

Find job. With his O'level, he still can find get jobs. Cleaners here collect up to N20k per month.

I hope we find. That will be fine. Javalove? Would contact him on Facebook

Honestly, I don't think this is a very critical condition. Alhamdulilah, he is able bodied and in good health. There are people that are down with ill-health and on top of that very poor and even homeless. That, however, doesnt mean we cannot help people in such situation. Can our IT brothers work something out for him?

Nice response,jazaakallahu khayr
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by BetaThings: 7:33pm On Nov 20, 2012
Moderators thread
So ordinary members should stay out
WCB
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by busar(m): 7:41pm On Nov 20, 2012
BetaThings: Moderators thread
So ordinary members should stay out
WCB
Itumo bro?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by BetaThings: 7:59pm On Nov 20, 2012
^^^^^^
Will come back. Just joking. Saw only 2 post by moderators when I started composing mine.

Here
Actually a lot of people don't earn N20k in Nigeria. Minimum wage is N18k and is not being paid by all (states and private companies)
There is huge unemployment in Nigeria. About a year or so ago, Airtel sacked some staff and replaced them with people they wanted to pay N30k
Some graduates had started the job at N30k before public outcry stopped it
O'level' is nothing. Most people will give jobs only to people with OND
A lot of people earn less than N10k in Nigeria
Let us forget the big very visible companies that comply with min wage. They are few

If this guy steps into yahoo, there is no assurance that he will leave. That is easy to say
Yahoo is not like collecting rain water. There is another human being at the other end being cheated
Even if he leaves yahoo business, he still have to make taubah for the money he fraudulently made. Taubah is not possible without returning what one took to the rightful owner. How does he seek to achieve that with Yahoo faceless contact

How much does he need that makes him so desperate to take to crime

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 10:36pm On Nov 20, 2012
^Very nice submissions and questions.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by LagosShia: 1:32am On Nov 21, 2012
Too bad that the Muslim youth in Nigeria hardly know the meaning of eman and the true teachings of Islam.and sad enough muslims in nigeria are no better than christians,yet we pride ourselves that islam is the complete and perfect religion of God and by God.but are we for God? in fact the condition of christians generally is better.islam has become to us in Nigeria just a set of praises and thanks to God-no different from what the christians exercise once a week on sundays.we got no leadership structure,no direction,no objectives to build a structure to better our lives and therefore no direction and no guidance.I would just stop short and not continue further in examining the root causes;otherwise someone would accuse me of going mad or being a freak or someone could threaten me with a ban.however I do feel very sad.I see a young man who goes to attend mosque program on sundays,prays and fasts, but doesn't know alcohol is haram because he only takes a "little".and you know its "cool" when he's among his "friends".

as for the topic,this yahoo thing is in my view the worse sin a nigerian can commit.you're simply depriving others of their livelihood.its like taking another person's life.I think we sometimes need to have that feeling that this our world is transient.think of where you would be in the next 50 or less years.is it worth it to inherit an everlasting curse of depriving another human being? Will that person ever forgive you? Do you know the misery the person would find himself in after you take away his hard earn money? We also need to know that it is God that provides sustenance.no one (at least in nigeria) dies of hunger.Alhamdulillah! And do we think we are in this world to have our own way and enjoy? Allah (swt) in the Quran asks us:"does man think he would say he believes and be left alone without been tested".definitely this is a world of struggle and tests.it is your chance to prove your patience and steadfastness to the cause of Allah (swt).it is not in paradise where you will prove you have faith.

When I attend Ashura lectures and the speaker/scholar narrates the masa'ib (catastrphes) and pain that the Ahlul-Bayt (as),including the Prophet (sa),and particularly Imam Hussain (as),went through,I thank Allah (swt) for all the suffering I have passed through.I tend to have the feeling that I should beg God to send me more suffering and test me harder to prove that I am really a follower of the Ahlul-Bayt (as),and I am a soldier of Karbala and a defender of Imam Hussain (as),even though I didn't have the honor to have lived in that time to sacrifice my life for the grandson of Muhammad Ibn Abdullah (sa)! With my little eman and knowledge I feel the thirst to prove myself and improve,because this is a very wicked world!When I listen to how Imam Hussain (as) refused to compromise on Islam and its principles when faced with the option of either dying or accepting submission to tyranny and materialistic life of humiliation,he chose death! He said death in honor is better than life in humiliation.when his staunch followers with the fear of Allah (swt) refused to flee and stood by the son of Allah's Prophet (sa),do you think it is easy to welcome death with open arms? Humiliation in this life is not when you can't feed yourself or when you beg.it is when you degrade your soul with wicked acts like taking and depriving someone of what doesn't belong to you.we all will leave this evil,poor and unjust world.sometimes smile when you see others riding big cars and you're suffering.that suffering is tomorrow's pleasure.it is sweet,enjoy it!leave the world and make sure it also leaves you;don't take indelible marks of sin with you into the hereafter.the payment there would be costlier.every pain you feel in this world,even within yourself (not physical) Allah (swt) will reward you for it.there is a hadith I read that even if a needle injures you,there's reward for that painful experience in this world.like I said earlier I tend to wish for God to please send me more suffering and pain,even though I'm too weak and the flesh is unwilling to endure.I want to also be proud in in front of Imam Hussain (as) and the Prophet (sa) in the hereafter that I followed their footsteps of sabr (patience) and I withstood the test of time in this world.more pain please! I need to store greater reward.the greater the pain the sweeter the victory.poverty too is a test just as bad health is.you're sometimes been allocated suffering so you pay for your sins in this world and not in the next.it is a better choice God made for you,so you inherit everlasting life in pleasure.unfortunately,many of us don't think about paradise.in fact when our youth see wizkid on tv,davido and D banj dancing with half naked girls,that is the paradise our youth are working to gain.that is why there is more desperation on how to get money.there is a race against time to "enjoy".and we all do realize time will defeat us all because life is indeed too short.

we forget that the Prophet of Allah used to stand in the battlefield to fight for this religion because his life was threatened.appreciating islam and being patient is part of appreciating what the Prophet (sa) did.you think it is easy when the Prophet (sa) suffered physical assault in Uhud? Or you think the Prophet (sa) didn't know the meaning of worldly pleasure when he rejected the material offers Quraysh made to him? Quraysh offered to give him the best women,money and comfort so as to give up on spreading islam.the Prophet's response was: "if you place the moon on one side and the sun on another,I will not abandon this task"! And the task was followed through struggle and pain.

My advice to the young man is to fear God and believe each kobo is from God.you don't believe God created everything and have provided man sustenance including the air we breath,while you think of how to steal from others.that is disbelief.follow the plan God wants for you.your poverty may be the map God have drawn for you to follow into paradise while your wealth may be the price you will pay for hell.and don't think I'm saying God wants us to suffer.not at all! The key word is patience.your patience of today will give you millions tomorrow.let the young man get a job and persevere and thank God for what he has that others lack.as for muslims,let him don't bank much on them.it is difficult to find a muslim, that can afford to help, who is willing to help.its a sad and shameful reality.the most or many who can afford would "patch" you up with two kobo to climb the next step in your struggle.our "yeye" leaders have turned into politicians who are worse than "ashewos".they sell the muslim ummah to fill their pockets and send their kids abroad.many,most and if not all of our "scholars" in nigeria who should talk in the spirit of Islam are like dogs,who are fed with the crumbs and leftovers from the politicians.Oritsejafor and the mega pastors with private jets who are milking their congregations,have become the stars they (many islamic leaders/scholars) admire and may want to be like.trust in Allah (swt) alone!

May Allah (swt) guide our youth and women!they are the torch bearers of Islam.

14 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 6:51am On Nov 21, 2012
^One of the elements of effective communication is "conciseness", "brevity is the soul of wit". You roped-in so much unnecessary material that you even misquoted the quranic verse- replace the word "with" with "without". You do have valid points in the midst of all that. tongue

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by LagosShia: 8:52am On Nov 21, 2012
Thanks-correction made where the verse was misquoted.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 21, 2012
How much are we talking about exactly? Let's know so that we will know how to raise the money for him, instead of him going into Yahoo

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 9:16am On Nov 21, 2012
Rukemi291: How much are we talking about exactly? Let's know so that we will know how to raise the money for him, instead of him going into Yahoo

I will have to ask him- I am beginning to fear administrative work. angry cheesy
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 21, 2012
Pls do.... May Allah be with us
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by deols(f): 3:14pm On Nov 21, 2012
I want d guy 2 see ds situation as a test from God. Is he one of those to pass or to fail?

Asking these questions in the 1st place denote some level of faith. I hope Allah keeps him strong.

And making contributions for him is a very good idea.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by ossyme(m): 8:54pm On Nov 21, 2012
May Allah forgive us all. Lagosshia is so filled with vim and he eventually renders his message dim. He beams with so much vigour but eventually falls into the abyss of rancour. Wallahul mustaan. @mac, the truth is there are many people in similar situations who have ...may Allah reward them... decided to face the economic challenges confronting them with unflagging resilience. I will sincerely advise that the brother take a job, however menial or soiling,save gradually and later proceed to further his education. This will, insha Allah, by virtue of his pursuing halaal means, open the door for greater heights. Yahoo is no option to consider.....wal aakhiratu khairun laka minal uula...

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
^It is an etiquette of writing to write God's name in initial caps.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 11:05pm On Nov 21, 2012
Brother X mailed me the courses he wants to do and places earlier on tonight. I will post it Insha Allah tomorrow.

Thank you.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by BahPulo(f): 3:30am On Nov 22, 2012
I think what I wanted to say has been said by almost everyone who posted so far. This is a test of his faith he should consider that before he does anything.
Let him look for something to do no matter how minial, shining shoes, cleaning houses, offices or washing cars. there is nothing as a degrading job as long as it helps keep your dignity. This is really sad some how I wish him luck and may Allah helps him get what he seeks without him resorting to crimes.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 8:19am On Nov 22, 2012
BahPulo: I think what I wanted to say has been said by almost everyone who posted so far. This is a test of his faith he should consider that before he does anything.
Let him look for something to do no matter how minial, shining shoes, cleaning houses, offices or washing cars. there is nothing as a degrading job as long as it helps keep your dignity. This is really sad some how I wish him luck and may Allah helps him get what he seeks without him resorting to crimes.

Ameeen, thank you for your kind words.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 8:22am On Nov 22, 2012
Like I said last night , Brother X sent me a mail detailing the courses he is interested in. What you are about to read next are the contents of that mail:

[b]Salamalaikum brother, sorry for the late response, my network was bad

this is a step by step list of the courses

would be done at Kits technologies, Palm avenue Mushin, Lagos
cctv/ip surveillance installation and maintenance= 7,500, a two days intensive training
vsat installation and maintenance= 7,500, a two days intensive training

would be done at affanti technologies, Ipaja Lagos
electric fence installation and maintenance=25,000 a two days intensive training

would be done at New Horizon, Ikeja Lagos
ccna full course= 45,000, a two months intensive training
ccnp full course=110,000, a five months intensive training

this are the list of courses i would like to take for now brother, note all the courses above excluding the ccna and ccnp are courses i can do first that would enable me raise money for the other expensive once, i have a good spirit of marketing online so i would be able to grow a quick and good client ones am done with the courses...please feel free to ask me questions where necessary because i believe am not perfect and i may not have put my words down clearly...

Jazakumllah khairan,[/b]
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by acidtalk: 4:02pm On Nov 22, 2012
Poster, with my knowledge of the Quran and Bible i will like to advice you from the Quranic point since thats what you seek for.

First and foremost if you go to Surat Bakarah, Allah has placed a great curse on people who are living from illegality i.e, sales of Alcohol, Prostitution, usury 9interest taking), Gambling and deceitful accusation of wealth.

What i will advice you is to be extremely patient. This is one great attributes of a true muslim. You must learnt to be very patient in life. No condition is permanent. Don\t ruine your future and God\s plans in your life just by temporary and wordly illegal gains.

PM your location and qualification. lets see how we can be of......
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by deols(f): 4:17pm On Nov 22, 2012
maclatunji: Like I said last night , Brother X sent me a mail detailing the courses he is interested in. What you are about to read next are the contents of that mail:

[b]Salamalaikum brother, sorry for the late response, my network was bad

this is a step by step list of the courses

would be done at Kits technologies, Palm avenue Mushin, Lagos
cctv/ip surveillance installation and maintenance= 7,500, a two days intensive training
vsat installation and maintenance= 7,500, a two days intensive training

would be done at affanti technologies, Ipaja Lagos
electric fence installation and maintenance=25,000 a two days intensive training

would be done at New Horizon, Ikeja Lagos
ccna full course= 45,000, a two months intensive training
ccnp full course=110,000, a five months intensive training

this are the list of courses i would like to take for now brother, note all the courses above excluding the ccna and ccnp are courses i can do first that would enable me raise money for the other expensive once, i have a good spirit of marketing online so i would be able to grow a quick and good client ones am done with the courses...please feel free to ask me questions where necessary because i believe am not perfect and i may not have put my words down clearly...

Jazakumllah khairan,[/b]

I think a means of money collection should be the next thing. 15k for the first two courses at least.

I doubt how sustainable those can be though. do many people install cctv? and electric fences with the challenges of electricity supply?
I hope there are many pple who would be willing to help this guy.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by ofala(m): 4:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
If I got this right; someone is claiming to seek justification for crime he is about to commit? Where has this country gone to?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 4:25pm On Nov 22, 2012
deols:

I think a means of money collection should be the next thing. 15k for the first two courses at least.

I doubt how sustainable those can be though. do many people install cctv? and electric fences with the challenges of electricity supply?
I hope there are many pple who would be willing to help this guy.

@bolded, will you organise it?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
ofala: If I got this right; someone is claiming to seek justification for crime he is about to commit? Where has this country gone to?

I don't know.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by Skywalker5(m): 4:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
CCTV/Ip surveillance is good for him to go with.I think there is a future in it in Nigeria
I think CCNA is enough for him, he should try and branch out to Microsoft server and Vmware.You said he already has networking skills
He should get video tutorials online and study server and Vmware. There are trial server softwares versions online for him to test with,also with Vmware. I wont advice him to go for CCNP. If you dont have devices and equipment for cisco,you will forget some as IT involves constant practice most but with Microsoft and Vmware, you can install them on your computer or laptop and practice at home

I will suggest he tries to set himself up a company and market his skills to small companies once he has learnt it well.There are lot of things he can do in IT. Since he has good marketing skills,it should not be a problem for him. There are some branches in IT that most people dont talk about but are good
Like backup data,e-mails , Linux,remote support( you'll need internet access). There are so many video and documents that can help him start.

N.B Any reason why this is in the Islam for Muslim section? I am a christian and i see the guy as my brother not a young Muslim man or is it just Muslims that are to contribute?

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by deols(f): 4:33pm On Nov 22, 2012
maclatunji:

@bolded, will you organise it?

No. I assume you would do that since you are the link of communication btween d guy and NL. You also started the thread, remember?
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by olawalebabs(m): 4:40pm On Nov 22, 2012
There is an hadith where the prophet was reported as saying "He who has the opportunity of eating haram but forgo it will be compensated with it in an halal way". Let him leave it
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 4:44pm On Nov 22, 2012
deols:

No. I assume you would do that since you are the link of communication btween d guy and NL. You also started the thread, remember?

New links can always be created, I really would rather avoid the work. Too many things on my hands.
Re: The Dilemma Of A Young Muslim Man by maclatunji: 4:46pm On Nov 22, 2012
Sky-walker:
CCTV/Ip surveillance is good for him to go with.I think there is a future in it in Nigeria
I think CCNA is enough for him, he should try and branch out to Microsoft server and Vmware.You said he already has networking skills
He should get video tutorials online and study server and Vmware. There are trial server softwares versions online for him to test with,also with Vmware. I wont advice him to go for CCNP. If you dont have devices and equipment for cisco,you will forget some as IT involves constant practice most but with Microsoft and Vmware, you can install them on your computer or laptop and practice at home

I will suggest he tries to set himself up a company and market his skills to small companies once he has learnt it well.There are lot of things he can do in IT. Since he has good marketing skills,it should not be a problem for him. There are some branches in IT that most people dont talk about but are good
Like backup data,e-mails , Linux,remote support( you'll need internet access). There are so many video and documents that can help him start.

N.B Any reason why this is in the Islam for Muslim section? I am a christian and i see the guy as my brother not a young Muslim man or is it just Muslims that are to contribute?

The guy is asking for religious advice on the concept called "Yahoo-Yahoo", he is a Muslim. However, should you be willing to help him, you are welcome.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Blackberry Messenger Group For Naija Muslims / Fasting On The Day Of Arafat: Sins Forgiven For Two Years / Share Your Eid Pictures.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.