Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,314 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator (12717 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / What Kind Of Transmission Fluid (ATF) Should I Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by jking001(m): 8:20pm On Nov 20, 2012
Some please help me my bmw E36 radiator has either transmission fluid or gear oil mixed with water i want to know how i can solve the problem.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 20, 2012
jking001:
Some please help me my bmw E36 radiator has either transmission fluid or gear oil mixed with water i want to know how i can solve the problem.

More detail would help.

* What engine size?
* What model year?
* Automatic or manual?

What colour is the sludge in your radiator? And any reason why you've concluded it's oil / ATF from your transmission, and not oil from your engine?
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by jking001(m): 12:55am On Nov 21, 2012
Thanks in advance mr Siena my engine is 6 plugs or cylinder and the gear system is automatic,model bmw 320i
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Trac: 5:51am On Nov 21, 2012
I believe it is oil and not the transmission fluid. It is definitely not the differential oil because that is at the rear. The milky colour that is dark-chocolate is probably how his conclusion was drawn. A few things can be responsible but most likely, it is a worn head gasket.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by jking001(m): 8:53am On Nov 21, 2012
Thanks mr Trac i suspect its engine oil, cos normally after service the oil normally looks fresh like engine oil in the radiator and after sometime it would appear as milky colored oil or dark chocolate just as described. please i need to know the implications if its a serious problem and how to solve it. Thanks
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 21, 2012
jking001: Thanks mr Trac i suspect its engine oil, cos normally after service the oil normally looks fresh like engine oil in the radiator and after sometime it would appear as milky colored oil or dark chocolate just as described. please i need to know the implications if its a serious problem and how to solve it. Thanks

Get a reputable garage to remove your cylinder head, and inspect it. On an inline 6, the cylinder head would most likely require a skim. It should not just be slapped back onto the cylinder block with a new gasket. It will also need new cylinder head bolts. The old ones are useless, and should be thrown away, not reused, as they're stretch bolts.

Your engine will need a flush through, to remove all traces of sludge, and a new oil filter fitted. Note, NEW FILTER, not the old one washed. Your cooling system will also need a flush, to remove all traces of oil. It should be filled with a 50/50 water coolant mix, not plain water.

Continue driving the car with water in your oil, and you'll end up with a worn crank. An oil and water mix forms an emulsion, which is pretty useless in protecting the internals of an engine.

There are no shortcuts to get your car back ship shape. If you use a roadside mechanic, or some grease monkey who has no business working on an engine, be prepared to pay the ultimate price - the destruction of your engine.

1 Like

Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by jking001(m): 12:01pm On Nov 21, 2012
Thanks Mr Siena, i live in Abuja would look for a good mechanic which is hard to find, the main one,s like coscharis is very expensive but if by chance you know any in Abuja would be so grateful for you suggestion,thanks a lot and God bless you.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by cretin: 1:43pm On Nov 21, 2012
cudnt hv put it better!........
ur top gasket is the most likely culprit........seems u car overheated in the past?
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by jking001(m): 2:45pm On Nov 21, 2012
Yes Mr Cretin my top gasket did over heat after i did a journey from benin to abuja but i changed the ttop and solved the leakage problem which was caused by a worn out pipe .
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by cretin: 3:43pm On Nov 21, 2012
ok..i tot as much..being an alumuinm engine, the over heating caused it to warp or even the block to cract..thus changing the top cylinder gasket isnt enough as the warping makes the surface of the top not smooth, thus letting water flow into and mix with engine oil.
so chk for warpage first and then check the cylinder heads.....thats the pathway to solving ur problem

1 Like

Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 21, 2012
Comin for my post
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by baaleojo: 5:09pm On Nov 21, 2012
Transmission oil in the radiator, I have had the experience with my acura mdx. The gear filter was changed and the radiator.

1 Like

Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by salolo(m): 5:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
nice
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by cretin: 5:21pm On Nov 21, 2012
another tot occured to me..some cars like the 05 pathfinder and some volvo models use the radiator system to cool the transmission/gear fluid...n the two fluids are separated by a membrane, when this membrane somehow fails..the two fluids mix together..thus ruining ur gearbox/transmission......so pls chk and be sure
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by BabaOyee: 5:30pm On Nov 21, 2012
It is quite possible.
The power steering mechanism uses the same transmission fluid as the automatic transmission gear.
To cool it a pipe is run thruogh the radiator. In essense,power steering fluid passes thru the radiator in a special way. So,if the pipe is leaking or the path through which it will pass inside the radiator,it may mix with the radiator water thereby colouring it. The remedy is to ascertain which one is leaking,the radiator or the pipe and change it appropriately.
A good mechanic can detect and fix it.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by markus1133: 5:31pm On Nov 21, 2012
need new gear filter
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by CHIMSKY(m): 5:48pm On Nov 21, 2012
jking001: Thanks Mr Siena, i live in Abuja would look for a good mechanic which is hard to find, the main one,s like coscharis is very expensive but if by chance you know any in Abuja would be so grateful for you suggestion,thanks a lot and God bless you.
Check Autobrite along Kubwa Road,near Aso FM.Call Engr. Donald @ 0812 271 1058,0816 290 7680.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by smoothop1: 6:47pm On Nov 21, 2012
jking001:

Head gasket is gone mate
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Nobody: 7:28pm On Nov 21, 2012
@ Poster, hw much do u imagine coscharis charges? It takes 16k every 3months(or b4 that on attainment of 100k/hr whch i hardly reach b4 d expiration of d date) for them to service my car. So do d maths.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Archmed(m): 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2012
Siena:

Get a reputable garage to remove your cylinder head, and inspect it. On an inline 6, the cylinder head would most likely require a skim. It should not just be slapped back onto the cylinder block with a new gasket. It will also need new cylinder head bolts. The old ones are useless, and should be thrown away, not reused, as they're stretch bolts.

Your engine will need a flush through, to remove all traces of sludge, and a new oil filter fitted. Note, NEW FILTER, not the old one washed. Your cooling system will also need a flush, to remove all traces of oil. It should be filled with a 50/50 water coolant mix, not plain water.

Continue driving the car with water in your oil, and you'll end up with a worn crank. An oil and water mix forms an emulsion, which is pretty useless in protecting the internals of an engine.

There are no shortcuts to get your car back ship shape. If you use a roadside mechanic, or some grease monkey who has no business working on an engine, be prepared to pay the ultimate price - the destruction of your engine.
this time i give it to you...thumbs up!!
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Archmed(m): 7:35pm On Nov 21, 2012
[quote author=Archmed]Now this is educating..and das what Nairaland is all about..thumbs up bro!
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Archmed(m): 7:36pm On Nov 21, 2012
[quote author=Archmed]Now this is educative..and das what Nairaland is all about..thumbs up bro!
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by chyket(m): 7:38pm On Nov 21, 2012
Check your engine coolant because my colleague had the same issue with his x5 BMW.Each time the coolant has problem! It leaks into the gearbox
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Benzora(m): 7:41pm On Nov 21, 2012
@poster, try Engicost at Gudu a few blocks from the market. They have a Scottish and some Indians working with him who ll help fix this problem for you. There is another workshop off the new road that leads from Banex jnx to Gwarimpa, not sure the exact location as I haven't visited them since they left Utako. Some lebanese guys that work on late model autos. All the best.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by heman: 9:44pm On Nov 21, 2012
What you just observed is called ANTIFREEZE, which is chemical or coolant that is often diluted with water to maintain a balance, and then poured into your radiator to prevent engine freeze-up during winter. So If your car is relatively new or you bought it not too long ago, there is nothing to worry about that. As you rightly noted, the Chemical smells and feels like transmission fluid or "gear oil"; it is slightly reddish, or orange or blue depending on the manufacturer's specification. However, if your car is giving you problems, go see a mechanic otherwise this is very normal with European or North American cars because of wintery weather. Your problem, so far, only seems to be the strangeness of the mixture of trans oil and water as you have not indicated any secondary problem. Lets know how you fare.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Trac: 3:59am On Nov 22, 2012
jking001: Thanks mr Trac i suspect its engine oil, cos normally after service the oil normally looks fresh like engine oil in the radiator and after sometime it would appear as milky colored oil or dark chocolate just as described. please i need to know the implications if its a serious problem and how to solve it. Thanks

As Siena said: a reputable mechanic should be sought for. If it is the head gasket (which is most likely), the head might have to be remachined to offset any warps. It is a careful and meticulous job especially if the heads are don't have enough clearance (depending on how bad the warp can be). While this is going on, it is advisable to remachine all your valves. The extra cost is worth it. I am not sure about BMW but the bolts on the heads of MB's are expandable/elastic bolts (aerospace grade and it expands and contract) and they cannot be reusable. It'll will not be a bad idea to get new bolts (just in case).

All the best:
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Inova(m): 6:03am On Nov 22, 2012
Siena:

More detail would help.

* What engine size?
* What model year?
* Automatic or manual?

What colour is the sludge in your radiator? And any reason why you've concluded it's oil / ATF from your transmission, and not oil from your engine?

Seina haba. Wats with the profesionalism here. His question was plain direct. Is it so dificult to just Tell him the TOP HEAD GASKET HAS WORNED OUT creating enough clearance for the oil in circulation to seep into the coollant orifice.
Next you'll be asking for the PH level of the coolant abi. Over sabi
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 22, 2012
Inova:

Seina haba. Wats with the profesionalism here. His question was plain direct. Is it so dificult to just Tell him the TOP HEAD GASKET HAS WORNED OUT creating enough clearance for the oil in circulation to seep into the coollant orifice.

And is there anything wrong with being professional? It's folk like you that fall into the hands of rogue mechanics, then when your car's been partially destroyed, you'll come here whining.

Since your sluggish brain can't make any sense of what I posted (which was not for an enquiry YOU posted anyway) I would suggest you just read, and leave. If you use your brain, you'll realise auto and manual have different oil coolers, some manuals don't have oil coolers, some automatics have a separate oil cooler, or it's integrated into the radiator.

I asked what colour the sludge in his radiator was, so I could roughly determine if it was a coolant / oil mix, or a coolant / ATF mix. What part of that don't YOU understand?

I don't give false advice without knowing more about the issues, or even the engine installed in the car. I get as many details as possible, then give possible causes. So, put that in your pipe and smoke it!

2 Likes

Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by Trac: 5:16pm On Nov 22, 2012
Inova:

Truth told: Mercedes gas engines that were straight (and maybe diesel) does not subscribe to the symptoms and hypothesis you stated above. You will be wasting your time and that is guaranteed. Cars are different and a one-size-fits-all approach will not work on all engines when certain nature repairs are to be done.

The advise given is only an advise based on probability. There is a reason for his inquiry. Straight-engines are different by nature to what is commonly packaged today and one of it is the lower and upper block. There could be other things that can cause it and some cars can be notorious for certain issues or prone to. Mercedes Benz's with the straights will not loose compression and sip oil into the cooling system due to the way the engine is designed. One of the ways you will find out is that you have an oil light or after an extended journey, you can smell burnt oil or oil on the pathway. By default, you'd assume it is something else till a qualified mechanic tells you that it is a headgasket and not what 99% of advice will point to. The Subaru has a different way of manifesting this failure/failure-in-progress and it isn't by any chance an exciting experience.

The question about his assumptions asked was also legit: why? Oil may not change the colour of his fluid. The exhaust can and when this occurs, the colour changes.

There are many other things as well.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by nnamokenna(m): 7:04pm On Nov 22, 2012
jking001:

It has happened to me before. It's transmission fluid. Transmission fluid runs through the radiator via a pipe for cooling ( I don't know the full mechanism because I'm not that mech savvy). If there's a leakage, oil will definitely mix with water in the radiator.

How did I solve the problem? I simply bought a new radiator and it stopped. My mechanic told me it could be fixed sha but I didn't want to take chances.
No wonder he was so happy when I "dashed" it to him grin
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by baaleojo: 4:43pm On Nov 23, 2012
If the problem is top gaskets the motor will be overheating. Some radiators have thermostat which when defective lead to radiator water finding its ways to gearbox. Like I said earlier the solution is change the radiator, transmission filter and new transmission oil.
Re: Transmission Fluid Or Gear Oil In Radiator by lollyhay: 8:23pm On Nov 21, 2013
I have the same problem my bmw has the same problem it look like transmission oil that mix with my radater water and affects my gearbox. Can you please help me. As soon as my bmw reach temp. It won't select a gear it stuck.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is Peugoet 607 So Scarce Now On Nigerian Roads. / 22 Essential Tips For Uber, Oga-taxi & Taxify Drivers / 3 Ways To Avoid A Car Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.