Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,666 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal (13630 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by leo083: 11:15pm On Nov 20, 2012
Hello Nlanders,
My 2007/2008 mazda6 is about 5 monthss now, I got it from coutonou, @ the point of purchace, it was working perfeftly but when my mechanic brought it I realised the radiator was leaking wch I fixed with an adhesive, but on my way from lagos about 10 days ago, the gasket got burnt so I had to change the gasket as well has the radiator( a hyundai radiator was used, couldn't get a mazda 6 tokunbo radiator). The car is doing fine now but I still have to be putting water everyday, I top with with @ least 250 mls of water(1/2 pure water sachet) per day after a 3hrs journey...I called my mechanic to inform him cos I feel its not normal, but he said its normal, cos its an alumnium engine and dt the gasket has burnt before... Nairalander; pls is this happenings normal....topping water(radiator) in a car of low mileage( 48,000). Pls what should I do..pls expert opinion needed...thanks
Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by Nobody: 12:27am On Nov 21, 2012
leo083: Hello Nlanders,
My 2007/2008 mazda6 is about 5 monthss now, I got it from coutonou, @ the point of purchace, it was working perfeftly but when my mechanic brought it I realised the radiator was leaking wch I fixed with an adhesive, but on my way from lagos about 10 days ago, the gasket got burnt so I had to change the gasket as well has the radiator( a hyundai radiator was used, couldn't get a mazda 6 tokunbo radiator). The car is doing fine now but I still have to be putting water everyday, I top with with @ least 250 mls of water(1/2 pure water sachet) per day after a 3hrs journey...I called my mechanic to inform him cos I feel its not normal, but he said its normal, cos its an alumnium engine and dt the gasket has burnt before... Nairalander; pls is this happenings normal....topping water(radiator) in a car of low mileage( 48,000). Pls what should I do..pls expert opinion needed...thanks

Why would you attempt to repair a leak with adhesive tape??

If you're having to top up your cooling system that regularly, then you have a leak. The cooling system is a sealed one, and should not require periodic topping up between services. It should be the same level well over a year later.

Your mechanic saying it's normal deserves to be strung up from the nearest telegraph pole until he's dead. There's nothing normal about an engine using more water than gasoline. Saying it's due to aluminium construction is a load of garbage. I've replaced cylinder head gaskets on aluminium engines in the past, and the owner's haven't needed to tow a water tanker behind their cars on a trailer.

I suspect your water is leaking straight into your engine combustion chambers, and / or into your oil galleries. Check your oil level, and condition. I don't like to say this, but I believe your engine's fvcked. When an engine gets red hot, it's not just sufficient to replace the head gasket. The cylinder head needs to be checked for warping, and skimmed as required. The same goes for the block, though if the block's warped, the only purpose it could serve would be as a boat anchor, or door stop. Your cylinder head could be cracked too.

Your only option (as I see it) is to get a complete replacement engine, and get it fitted by a competent garage. And please, get the CORRECT radiator for a Mazda 6, not some cobbled together contraption. Radiator flow rates are matched to specific engines, and water pump capacity.

Topping up your cooling system with PLAIN WATER, no coolant is a no-no.

I'm not going to ask how much your "mechanic" has charged you, but I suspect he's bent you over good and proper, and given you the rough end of a pineapple.

3 Likes

Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by walelakun: 1:11am On Nov 21, 2012
Siena:

Why would you attempt to repair a leak with adhesive tape??

If you're having to top up your cooling system that regularly, then you have a leak. The cooling system is a sealed one, and should not require periodic topping up between services. It should be the same level well over a year later.

Your mechanic saying it's normal deserves to be strung up from the nearest telegraph pole until he's dead. There's nothing normal about an engine using more water than gasoline. Saying it's due to aluminium construction is a load of garbage. I've replaced cylinder head gaskets on aluminium engines in the past, and the owner's haven't needed to tow a water tanker behind their cars on a trailer.

I suspect your water is leaking straight into your engine combustion chambers, and / or into your oil galleries. Check your oil level, and condition. I don't like to say this, but I believe your engine's fvcked. When an engine gets red hot, it's not just sufficient to replace the head gasket. The cylinder head needs to be checked for warping, and skimmed as required. The same goes for the block, though if the block's warped, the only purpose it could serve would be as a boat anchor, or door stop. Your cylinder head could be cracked too.

Your only option (as I see it) is to get a complete replacement engine, and get it fitted by a competent garage. And please, get the CORRECT radiator for a Mazda 6, not some cobbled together contraption. Radiator flow rates are matched to specific engines, and water pump capacity.

Topping up your cooling system with PLAIN WATER, no coolant is a no-no.

I'm not going to ask how much your "mechanic" has charged you, but I suspect he's bent you over good and proper, and given you the rough end of a pineapple.

infact, you have took t word out of my mouth, you've done justice to it, how can dat be normal? it is very very abnormal, since u have changed d radiator, d water is going somewhere, check ur oil like my broda has said, if its showing u something like milk colour, go and buy another engine, truth is bitter but its better told, God will provide for you sir, PLS. CHANGE YOUR ENGINE, IT'S GONE.
Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by leo083: 7:23am On Nov 21, 2012
Thaanks guys...really appreciate, he said he had to line the cylinder head with something, dt the cylinder is not spoilt cos I asked specifically....and he removed the coolant reservoir too....
Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 21, 2012
leo083: Thaanks guys...really appreciate, he said he had to line the cylinder head with something, dt the cylinder is not spoilt cos I asked specifically....and he removed the coolant reservoir too....

In that case, since your "mechanic" said the cylinder is not "spoilt," you have no problem. Keep topping up with plain water daily, and good luck.
Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by pannyman(m): 11:00am On Nov 21, 2012
Beats me why someone would buy such a recent recent model car and proceed to wreck it.smh.
Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by cretin: 1:36pm On Nov 21, 2012
IGNORANCE IS BLISS!....lol

meen this ur story ehhen.....i dey shame for you sef.

u let a semi ignorant mechanic spoil ur 06/07 mazda...removed coolant resevoir?.........topping water everyday is normal?.....so he is smarter than the people that put the reservoir in the first place?.

i just hv 1 word for u......flleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee from that quack........did u chk the cars/types of cars in his shop b4 u let him touch ur car...methinks he is used to working on 404 n 504 and taxi cabs..he absof,uc.kinglutely has no experience on mordern cars.

this ur case tire person...i dont even know where to start giving advice from....cos so many things r sooooooooo wrong
Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by leo083: 3:18pm On Nov 21, 2012
@siena,
I'm kinda skeptical with ur response after telling u about the car's cylinder...
@ siena pls what will u do if u were in my shoes...thanks

[quote author=cretin]IGNORANCE IS BLISS!....lol
@ cretin..guess ure the perfect typr she...uve forgotten dt @ our best we're humans..so pls spare me...Constructive critisism welcome though
Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by cretin: 3:48pm On Nov 21, 2012
ok..i tot as much..being an alumuinm engine, the over heating caused it to warp or even the block to cract..thus changing the top cylinder gasket isnt enough as the warping makes the surface of the top not smooth, thus letting water flow into and mix with engine oil.
so chk for warpage first and then check the cylinder heads.....thats the pathway to solving ur problem

if u r sure the cylinder heads are good, then its most likely warpage....next time..pls dont use sealant or any adhesive to seal a leaking radiator, u r just delaying the evil day, no sealant can withstand the intense tempreture and pressure in a cars cooling system for long.

an 07/08 mazda!!...kai
Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by skyfall: 7:23pm On Nov 21, 2012
@OP

Sorry I really sympathize with you. You seem not to know much about cars, but we obviously learn everyday. After all the professional responses though, you still sound confused.

The 1st thing to do is NEVER go back to that mechanic. You're just an easy paycheck to him.

2ndly, look for a qualified auto workshop where the car will be properly diagnosed.

Tell us where you live (Lagos?). Are you on the Island or mainland? I know a very good workshop in Ajah if you live around there. There's also a thread on this site which lists good & modern auto workshops.
Re: Topping Radiator With Water Everyday!! Is It Normal by Jubreal19: 12:42pm On Nov 23, 2018
skyfall:
@OP

Sorry I really sympathize with you. You seem not to know much about cars, but we obviously learn everyday. After all the professional responses though, you still sound confused.

The 1st thing to do is NEVER go back to that mechanic. You're just an easy paycheck to him.

2ndly, look for a qualified auto workshop where the car will be properly diagnosed.

Tell us where you live (Lagos?). Are you on the Island or mainland? I know a very good workshop in Ajah if you live around there. There's also a thread on this site which lists good & modern auto workshops.

Drop the link to the thread

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians At Risk : Japanese Radioactive Cars In The Market / What Are The Signs Of A Faulty Brainbox In A Nissan / 5 Steps To Handle A Tire Burst While Driving

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.