Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! (4326 Views)

Se Versus Sw,good And Healthy Competition,no Bashing,please.-obamaofusa / Nigeria's Lame Duck CBN Governor Takes A Bashing / Saw This Online And Just Wanna Share, Waiting For So Many Bashing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by owo(m): 8:34am On Apr 21, 2006
It seems bashing the President of Nigeria is the latest thing in town. In the newspapers, nairaland, campus gists, villages, danfo, bank, okada, jand, yankee, farm, office, buka, in short everywhere.

Do you have any pent-up feelings/views about him? Please say it here.
lipsrsealed
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Akolawole(m): 1:44pm On Apr 21, 2006
Now i know your mission in Nairaland politics.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by owo(m): 7:10pm On Apr 21, 2006
Is that your view about him?
That's fantastic Keep it rolling.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by ababoy1(m): 10:03pm On Apr 21, 2006
I dont think its just about bashing. People are just expressing the way they feel. The man has his good and bad attributes. You just wonder which one stands out most.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Akolawole(m): 1:51am On Apr 22, 2006
ababoy1:

I don't think its just about bashing. People are just expressing the way they feel. The man has his good and bad attributes. You just wonder which one stands out most.

Thank you jare Ababoy1.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by owo(m): 4:20am On Apr 22, 2006
Thank you Ababoy1. This thread is all about giving everyone an opportunity to express their feelings about him (especially on areas that are not covered by other threads).
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Jakumo(m): 6:54am On Apr 22, 2006
Right up till the point at which the Nigerian constitution was ammended to facilitate a third term bid by President Obasanjo, many observers refused to accept the possibility that the third term agenda was real.  Now that the president himself was confirmed that he will run for that third term, the instinct to cry foul is only put in check by a sober assessment of the other contenders to the Nigerian presidency in 2007.

Currently, the three visible front-runners for Nigerias 2007 presidential contest are retired General Babangida, the multi-billionaire Evil Genius of Minna Rock,  retired Brigadier General Buba Marwa, former military administrator of Lagos State and of course current Vice President Atiku, Mr. Corruption personified, who has also thrown his hat into the ring in the hopes of exponentially increasing his rate of embezzlement and graft as the next president of Nigeria.

Ibrahim Babangida's 1980's tenure as Nigeria's president left the nation in the poor-house, thanks to the industrial-scale looting that took place at all levels of government.  Babangida also oversaw Nigeria's secret enlistment in the OIC (Organization of Islamic Countries), a fact that will not be lost on the West, who will be wary,  non-supportive and constructively opposed to another Babangida presidency in Nigeria.

Buba Marwa was much loved by residents of Lagos State during his stint as the state governor due to his aggressive crackdown on violent crime and substantial expenditure on road repairs in the state, yet questions linger over the source of the wealth that enabled Marwa to establish a private airline as soon as he left office.  With a graduate degree in engineering, Marwa is certainly the best educated out of all those intending to run for president. These positive attributes do not, however, dispell the widespread notion that Marwa is just another Babangida disciple in sheep's clothing, angling for a chance to do his master's bidding.

Tempting though it may be to dismiss Obasanjo as just another sit-tight African leader, many would vote for him in the context of his being the lesser of four evils.  If he does manage to succeed himself, President Obasanjo will need to fund and invest  MASSIVELY in the Niger Delta's infrastructure, education, health care facilities and employment-generating industries, and the president will also need to provide ELECTRICAL POWER to the entire nation of Nigeria to revive industry that now lies in ruins due to mains power starvation.  If ALL of the above urgent priorities are not handled expeditiously by whoever lands in the 2007 presidency, the current slide towards the abyss will continue unabated.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by ono(m): 1:00pm On Apr 22, 2006
Bros Jakumo,
I beg to disagree that OBJ is the lesser of the four evils. He's not, and indeed he's the greatest of them all. How?

1. It was OBJ who engineered the Land Use Act decree and other obnoxious laws during his tenure as Head of State in the late 70's

2.  He (OBJ) is fond of setting up committees, calling round table talk and other chat shows just for the sake of talking and wasting time. The recent pronouncement on the Niger Delta situation is one that stares us all in the face. He knew all along the problems bedevilling the area, he promised to address them when he came in as President in 1999. He even set up the NDDC to ''address'' the grievances of the area. Well, we all know that NDDC is just a tool in OBJs hands to pauperise the ND people the more.

3. He's the architect of gangsterism, the father or hooliganism. He's the creator of godfatherism and chaos. The Oyo, Bayelsa, Anambra and Plateau saga is a living testimony to this.

4. He flouts court orders, the police is a tool in his hands, and he wields so much influence on the instruments of state.

5. The Senate ''under'' him is actually a rubber stamp arm of the government.

6. And it was under OBJ that the nation witnessed the first ever Nigeria Police Strike in the history of the nation.

I think the good he's done so far should be taken witha pinch of salt. He should be investigated without delay and brought to justice. He also said he'll leave Aso Rock over his dead body, now what sort of leader is that other than a sit tight one? At least IBB was able to step aside during his time as military president, OBJ is greedy. He should learn from IBB the act of stepping aside.

This is my view of OBJ. He's evil personified, and IBB and others are his students in the art/act. They learnt whatever evil they practice from OBJ.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Akolawole(m): 3:42pm On Apr 22, 2006
@Ono

Much as i like reading your comment but faseful facts

ono:

I beg to disagree that OBJ is the lesser of the four evils. He's not, and indeed he's the greatest of them all. How?

The Senate ''under'' him is actually a rubber stamp arm of the government.

I think the good he's done so far should be taken witha pinch of salt. He should be investigated without delay and brought to justice.

OBJ is greedy.[/b]

This is my view of OBJ. He's evil personified, and IBB

It is indeed your view, even before 3rd term project starts, you've never see anything good in this government.

Anytime we mention good things he did, you will say Abacha has done better.

Senate under Him?, Maybe OBJ is now a Senator

He should be investigated for Stealing Billions abi?

I have nothing to add, enjoy your hatred sir!
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by owo(m): 12:52pm On Apr 23, 2006
Date: December 10th; 2005
Incident: Sosoliso plane crash, at Port Harcourt 'International Airport'.
Brief description (source: my friends brother,an airport taxi driver, who was present at the airport during the incident): Aircraft burst into flames at touch-down, but the airport fire department does not have water or adequate equipment to tackle flame.
Taxi drivers and other airport staff send distress calls to Shell (SPDC), NNPC, NPA seeking assistance. They arrive after driving through at least 25kms (in addition to traffic) from the town and were able to save seven (7) of which only one is alive today.
Those affected:At least 50 students of Loyola Jesuits college, and numerous others
Witnesses: Parents of the students that had come to the airport to receive their wards, but rather saw them burnt before their very eyes because there was fire fighting equipment or water (in the Niger Delta of all places).
Those affected: At least 50 students of Loyola Jesuits College, Abuja., Multitudes whose lives have been touched by Mrs Bimbo Odukoya's messages, The charismatic president of PENGASSAN (Oil industry workers union) comrade Okoro, and numerous others too grim to mention (among them my sister's first daughter, and a beloved colleague).

Cause: The airport lacks the facilities that airstrips in other climes can boast of.
Yet this government has been there for the past seven years.It has garnered a minimum of (an unprecedented) $120billion (I should know, if no other person does) through the Oil industry of which Port Harcourt is the capital.

Who is responsible? Chief Obj because the bucks stops at his table. The 'minister' is still there. Nothing new has been done to the airport because human life is of no 'value' to this team. Women engaging in peaceful protest on this case were beaten up before our very eyes.

Moral of this story:
1.Education is thoroughly underfunded (where there is funds) - because human life is not of much importance to this man. If the $214m(at least ) siphoned through the failed national identity card scheme or the billions lost in the last census was used to ensure that at least 3 secondary schools per state/region/area etc is world class, then those bright souls would not have been so cruelly killed. SEVEN YEARS IS ENOUGH TO THIS.

2.Public Infrastructure (except in his home town, maybe) have been forgotten by this man. If the money spent on gallivanting around the globe (for good and great purposes possibly) and that used to 'settle' members of the national assembly was used to fix up one airport per region/area/state etc, peradventure we would have saved some souls. THIS CAN BE DONE IN SEVEN YEARS. Unknown to him, no society can grow beyond the level of infrastructure that is available to its citizenry.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by lauryn(f): 4:01pm On Apr 23, 2006
What does the term BASHING mean?
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Greatpeter(m): 4:07pm On Apr 23, 2006
Ono and owo are just thesame.
If you go there today you'll fail woefully.
Do you think it's easy ruling millions of people?

Pls this man has performed creditably given the antecedent that brought them to power after Military regime.
Things heve really fallen apart and eigth years are not enough to correct those wrongs.
The decay will take many years before we can cleanse it.
Plz give honour to whom honour is due.
OBJ you have tried your best!
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Roscodaddy(m): 4:16pm On Apr 23, 2006
Jakumo,

Please what country are you in,do you know that this Govt of OBJ has increased the pump price of fuel over 5 times since 1999 never before has it been done ,I mean check out the Nepa situation,it has even gone down,just because we still rely on Hydro for generating power,is it roads or what,he has done nothing @ all for this great nation of ours and he is still looking for a third term,we are under a king,this is no more democracy,where anybody who dares to stand against him,he sends in EFCC,his dogs after the person,or is it the GSM that he has done,please tell me,and who says Atiku is corrupt,right now we have over 100bn unaccounted for under the ministry of petroleum headed by this same man and here you are,please point out a country where they have oil and they don't have a minister in charge of the .Is there any need for me to go on?

Jakumo:

Right up till the point at which the Nigerian constitution was ammended to facilitate a third term bid by President Obasanjo, many observers refused to accept the possibility that the third term agenda was real.  Now that the president himself was confirmed that he will run for that third term, the instinct to cry foul is only put in check by a sober assessment of the other contenders to the Nigerian presidency in 2007.

Currently, the three visible front-runners for Nigerias 2007 presidential contest are retired General Babangida, the multi-billionaire Evil Genius of Minna Rock,  retired Brigadier General Buba Marwa, former military administrator of Lagos State and of course current Vice President Atiku, Mr. Corruption personified, who has also thrown his hat into the ring in the hopes of exponentially increasing his rate of embezzlement and graft as the next president of Nigeria.

Ibrahim Babangida's 1980's tenure as Nigeria's president left the nation in the poor-house, thanks to the industrial-scale looting that took place at all levels of government.  Babangida also oversaw Nigeria's secret enlistment in the OIC (Organization of Islamic Countries), a fact that will not be lost on the West, who will be wary,  non-supportive and constructively opposed to another Babangida presidency in Nigeria.

Buba Marwa was much loved by residents of Lagos State during his stint as the state governor due to his aggressive crackdown on violent crime and substantial expenditure on road repairs in the state, yet questions linger over the source of the wealth that enabled Marwa to establish a private airline as soon as he left office.  With a graduate degree in engineering, Marwa is certainly the best educated out of all those intending to run for president. These positive attributes do not, however, dispell the widespread notion that Marwa is just another Babangida disciple in sheep's clothing, angling for a chance to do his master's bidding.

Tempting though it may be to dismiss Obasanjo as just another sit-tight African leader, many would vote for him in the context of his being the lesser of four evils.  If he does manage to succeed himself, President Obasanjo will need to fund and invest  MASSIVELY in the Niger Delta's infrastructure, education, health care facilities and employment-generating industries, and the president will also need to provide ELECTRICAL POWER to the entire nation of Nigeria to revive industry that now lies in ruins due to mains power starvation.  If ALL of the above urgent priorities are not handled expeditiously by whoever lands in the 2007 presidency, the current slide towards the abyss will continue unabated.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by omoifa(m): 4:45pm On Apr 23, 2006
This is a good topic especially when you want to see mediocacy at its best. I am yet to find anyone who can constructively defend the reason they are against 3rd term. All they stick to is that the constitution should not be amended because of one man. Or don't change the goal post in the middle of the game or they directly attack the person of the President. This are also so mediocre in their delivery that it sometimes makes one feel ashame.

The truth is that our constitution or any constitution for that matter is meant to achieve one aim. To bring good life to its subject. That is why the guarantee of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is an hallmark of the American constitution. Secondly there is an amendment clause in every constitution that allows us to keep amending it until we achieve that goal.

Majority of the people in Nations where underdevelopment is prevalent do not care about who rules them. If its an Obasanjo or me or you for that matter. All they care about is who will pull them out of their poverty. Maybe we will start to care when we have attained a level where poverty is extinct. So it is only when you can attack Obasanjo on grounds of achievement that is when you will be speaking for the people.

All of you that are sitting in well developed economies and enjoying all the good things that have already been laid down, don't you want us to enjoy same in our fatherland. You want us to live in perpetual poverty so you can come home and behave like kings. Our elites too who are spoiling to be in charge and loot  36 billion Dollars foreign reserve they were never able to save during their time,  stop claiming you speak for the people. We, the people, only care here about who makes life better for us and there should be no reason to change unless the person stops making life better for us. If the constitution that is meant to prescribe a good life for us is an impediment then we will change and redirect it to bring the good life. That is its purpose and that is why the ammendment clause is there in the first place.

Now you will say "There must be a Nigerian that is also good to replace OBJ". We should stop gambling. We did it in 1979. A bird in hand is more than two million in the bush. Since OBJ has given us a taste of good governance, notwithstanding his shortcomings and the complexity of governance, we should change the constitution to continue to enjoy that good governance that will lead us to the promised land until he also starts under-performing. We will then start to listen to those of you who want him out.

Yes, we will change the goal post in the middle of the game to achieve prosperity. This is not a game, it is the life of 120 million Nigerians. In fact we will remove that goal post completely if need be.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Mariory(m): 9:49pm On Apr 23, 2006
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by jibitoye(m): 3:53pm On Apr 24, 2006
My very dear omo ifa, ,

I read your post and marvelled. You have mentioned that there is a display of mediocrity in the comments of all other forumites here. I beg to disagree and I must also express my view that you seem the one most qualified to be labelled mediocre here. That is a personal opinion though.

Governance rightly is about the development, maintenance and protection of societal institutions and systems. These institutions include those that are responsible for creating a workable political system which is protected by the rule of law.
I have mentioned in many posts that it is of course foolhardy to imagine that OBJ has not contributed to our development even though most of those efforts are geared at tackling our macro-economic problems (which is partly why we are not having a trickled-down effect on the average Nigerian on the street). And that indeed should be the first step for any goal-oriented government. (I will refer you to an earlier commentary of mine here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=10703.msg305372#msg305372 ). But having said this, it does not mean that OBJ should continue by doctoring an amendment of the constitution especially in the midst of so much opposition to that effect (except as we can note that you live in Abuja, you are too close to Aso Rock to feel the opposition).
Whatever may have been his achievements in this republic, there would be an evident failure of judgement if he has not been able to have within his coterie of hangers-on been able to groom successors to his political empire. No politician worth his salt ever leaves the political stage without this. That will mean no one is clearly faithful enough to uphold his legacy!!! If that is the case, then he obviously either has no legacy to be protected or the people around him are as mediocre or are insincere……

We need strong institutions in Nigeria and not ad-hoc solutions to our problems. The quest for an amendment to the constitution is an ad-hoc solution and smacks of an unveiled insincerity by the OBJ administration to protecting even democracy itself. It is unimaginable that less than 12 months to what would have easily been another election, the incumbent government is not preparing for another election as would be expected in any democratic setting not even at the other tiers of governance…

I do not know why some people easily believe that if you are not living in Nigeria you should necessarily become unconcerned with her progress. That is a myopic stand especially when issues that border on our socio-political emancipation are being discussed. The Asian Tigers that have notably defined our nascent global economy have in no small ways had their countries been re-engineered and carved paths to their national rediscoveries owing in no small parts to the efforts of their diasporan nationals. We indeed should aspire to that. A lot of Nigerians living outside Nigeria are more concerned because they see their host countries and note that they are not as endowed as our dear Nigeria and yet we as I once mentioned scupper to these countries.

OBJ remains one of the architects of that great robbery (they stole our today ages ago and that is why we are not in Nigeria today seriously contributing to national development); we necessarily do not have to allow him and his cohorts to steal the future of our children…,

On a lighter note… mi o ro pe ifa a gbe  e o… (I do not think Ifa will sustain you if you continue to support a misadventure such as OBJ’s third term)…,
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by dude(m): 6:31pm On Apr 24, 2006
given the complexity of a country like nigeria that has a legendary history of corruption and indicispline, obj has tried. looking at all his economic\social reforms, the old man has performed fairly well. and derserves some credit. but is that enough grounds for tenure elongation as omoifa is "campaigning" for? no! if he's afraid of his reforms and programmes being discontinued, then why the hell doesn't he groom a loyal sucessor and charge him with the trust of continuing his reforms? his reforms if being done in sincererity should outlive him. but some folks(like my brother omoifa) will have us believe without OBJ, nigeria cannot of 0f 120 people produce a credible leader to govern us. any policy built around a single individual is very weak and is infact no policy at all
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Akolawole(m): 5:57am On Apr 25, 2006
jibitoye:

OBJ remains one of the architects of that great robbery (they stole our today ages ago and that is why we are not in Nigeria today seriously contributing to national development); we necessarily do not have to allow him and his cohorts to steal the future of our children…,

BASELESS ALLEGATION

dude:

given the complexity of a country like nigeria that has a legendary history of corruption and indicispline, obj has tried. looking at all his economic\social reforms, the old man has performed fairly well. and derserves some credit. but is that enough grounds for tenure elongation as omoifa is "campaigning" for? no! if he's afraid of his reforms and programmes being discontinued, then why the hell doesn't he groom a loyal sucessor and charge him with the trust of continuing his reforms? his reforms if being done in sincererity should outlive him. but some folks(like my brother omoifa) will have us believe without OBJ, nigeria cannot of 0f 120 people produce a credible leader to govern us. any policy built around a single individual is very weak and is infact no policy at all

Thank you.

He has done well but I personally dont want a 3rd term( for whatever reason)
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by jibitoye(m): 11:04am On Apr 25, 2006
Akolawole,

I believe if you have a good understanding of our political and economic history, you would not think that was a baseless fact, It is not an assumption. It is a fact that is known to a lot of Nigerians.
OBJ has only been given a rare opportunity by providence to redeem itself, and he should take that and run with it,
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Akolawole(m): 4:25pm On Apr 25, 2006
jibitoye:

Akolawole,

I believe if you have a good understanding of our political and economic history, you would not think that was a baseless fact, It is not an assumption. It is a fact that is known to a lot of Nigerians.
OBJ has only been given a rare opportunity by providence to redeem itself, and he should take that and run with it,

Its not a matter of "if i have understanding, "

Of course, i have full understanding from 1979 till date.

Ask me whatever you want to ask.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by jibitoye(m): 5:12pm On Apr 25, 2006
You just answered my question. 1979 till date. Do I need to ask any more?  Nigeria did not start into being in 1979!!!

Please,
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by owo(m): 6:25pm On Apr 25, 2006
Date:  Friday 6-9th December 2005

Event: Thousands on Nigerians resident in Eric Moore towers, Bar beach towers and 1004 Flats are forcefully evicted in disobedience to court orders and in defiance of simple moral justice.

Brief Description:  this is as captured by those that write history in 'hurry', Journalists) It all started  on March 16, 2003 when the former Housing and Urban Development Minister, Mrs. Mobolaji Osomo announced government’s decision to sell eight of its high-rise buildings in Lagos. The buildings included the burnt Federal Secretariat Complex in Ikoyi, 1004 Estate and Bar-beach Towers  on Victoria Island and Mulliner Towers, Ikoyi. Others were Ikoyi (Alagbon) Towers, Reeve Road Towers and Awolowo Road Towers in highbrow Ikoyi and Eric Moore Towers in Surulere . The decision to sell the properties, according to Mrs. Osomo, was a fallout of the monetization policy and government’s decision to free itself from the management of the houses. According to the monetization policy, the Federal Government occupants of the houses would be given the option in the sale.

But contrary to the provisions of the policy, the minister in April, 2003, announced the winners of the bids for five of the properties. Top on the list was UACN Development and Property Company Plc with a bid of N4.501billion for 1004.  Union Homes’ bid of N501 million and N575 million were enough to win the bids for Awolowo Road and Mulliner Towers Ikoyi. The Nigerian Social Insurance Trust Fund’s (NSITF) bid for Ikoyi (Alagbon) Towers was N1.2 billion while Dock Management Nigeria Ltd’s bid of N40,011,111 was good enough for a block of flats in Eric Moore Towers.
Following public outcry over the low prices, the government further negotiated with the preferred bidders and finally arrived at new prices for the properties. UACN’s offer for 1004 was upped to N7 billion while Union Homes coughed out N600 million and N520 million for Mulliner and Awolowo Road Towers respectively. NSITF’s N1.2 billion for Ikoyi Towers remained while Dock Mgt Services Ltd was made to pay N570 million for the six blocks in Eric Moore Towers.

The chairman of the 1004 Estate Residents Association, Mr. Sunny Baba told Vanguard Property & Environment that “the  police numbering in their hundreds came in a few minutes after 4:00am, supported by soldiers. They stormed various flats, smashing windows and doors and dragging people out, telling them to leave or they will be hurt.”
He decried the attitude of the Federal Government, accusing it of failure to obey court orders. According to him, Nigeria is gradually drifting to a state of anarchy where there is no respect for the rule of law. “Nigeria is gradually drifting into anarchy because some people want to hold onto power and play God”,
She lamented that the eviction was carried out in defiance of a Lagos High Court order of December 2, 2005 stopping the government from going ahead with the plan to eject the residents

Witnesses: Yours truly and fellow nairalanders https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-3605.0.html
In addition thousands of children and young adults whose parents had served their fatherland. Some were even lured back to the country by the same man (Chief obasanjo- in the seventies) and many served with all sincerity and forsook better opportunities in other climes all in the name of serving their fatherland.

Cause: There has not been any investment in housing. In short the few houses that were there have been sold to 'themselves'. The Ikoyi houses put up for sale with the names of Mr Obj's family members as beneficiaries, is still fresh in the mind.f

Who is responsible?: From the narrative above, it is clear that the blame lies squarely on Mr Obj. He has inspired the selling of all the government's properties (a good thing to do) but unfortunately cronies and the like are the beneficiaries while innocent Nigerians 'must sleep under Lagos bridges.' Whose fault?

What are the alternatives: More than any other government, the current one has had the best opportunity to positively affect the life of Nigerians.
With the cost of land (which the government owns by virtue of the land use act) in the high heavens, the provision of large scale affordable  accomodation should naturally be the pre-occuppation of the leadership.
1. the reputed 300bn washed down the drain through the ministry of works would have housed much more Nigerians than the number evicted.
2. Third term campaign budget  would have housed another set of thousands.

Housing is one of the basic necessities of levey human being. However, among all the 'wonderful' things this man has done, his gross disrespect for the human beings under his care clearly (morally)disqualifies him from leading ( or seeking to contnue leading) .
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by igwe4life(m): 7:28pm On Apr 25, 2006
Obansanjo's bashing has taken another dimension - with physical bashing the in thing now. see https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-11362.0.html
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by Akolawole(m): 7:52pm On Apr 25, 2006
jibitoye:

You just answered my question. 1979 till date. Do I need to ask any more? Nigeria did not start into being in 1979!!!

Please,

Sorry Sir o

I never know you were born in 1914.

Seun, Please, we need elderly people like Daddy Jibitoye here o grin
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by omoifa(m): 8:44pm On Apr 25, 2006
I think everyone is living true to the topic no matter how illogical the whole thing is. First of all Jibitoye I didn't say everyone was a mediocre neither did i say everyone is smart. Definitely some of the things said hear simply shows lack of depth in the knowledge of things as they are.  What has amazed you in what i wrote?. Let me lay it down in a simple equation and maybe it will be easier for you to understand.

1. The constitution's primary function is to give us a better life. As they say it should guarantee life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
2. As long as it is determined that some or all of it does not guarantee that then it should be quickly modified for it to continue to guarantee that.
3. Some people feel that by leaving the govt of OBJ for another four years we will continue to inch towards a structure that will guarantee a progressive move towards prosperity.
4. Shouldn't they try to amend the constitution to have the good life?. Don't forget that the sole purpose of any constitution is to guarantee a good life. The amendment clause in the constitution guarantees that we should continue to amend it until it gives us that good life. If they just want us to follow it like a zombie without questioning it now and then if it is leading us to the part of a good life then the amendment clause wouldn't be there in the first place.

Given 1-4 I think it is clear that the people should exercise their rights. They are in search of a good life. This shouldn't amaze you. Abi you no be democrat.

Now lets talk about the man OBJ himself.

1. The man (OBJ), despite all his short comings has shown that he can really be different from all our past leaders in terms of giving purposeful leadership. You yourself and many others acknowledge some of his feats.
2. We all know that you can never please everybody no matter how hard you try.
3. He might be guilty of not quickly identifying that his natural successor, whom he handpicked by himself against all odds was going to end up being whom he his. Nobody, neither you or me or him is a suitsayer. We cannot know these things.

Lets talk about Nigeria

1. Yes we need strong institutions in Nigeria. That is the only way we can guarantee sustainable and progressive development. The only way i believe this can be done is to put the right laws in place to streghnten this institutions. We have started to do that. First you put the right Chief Executive in place who thouroughly scrutinises the institution and then prescribe a bill to the parliament proposing measures to truly strenghten that institution. Institutions such as:NCC,NAFDAC, FIRS, Central Bank, Finance Ministry, FCT etc. We have not gotten there but we are moving.
2. What should bother us most is checking the power of a President. The constitution gives a President so much power that he is practically unchecked. We do not have institutions that will effectively check the President. Forget about the National Assembly. As one American said: Our constitution gives the President enormous power on the treasury. We all know that once you have money you will do and undo in Nigeria.
3. Yes there are so many Nigerians we believe can excel if giving the opportunity to govern but i dear say we also have an equal (if not more )number that will fail woefully if giving the opportunity.
4. The question is: What are the chances, given that there are no serious institutions to check the powers of a president,  that we will not put it on the lap of the wrong guy. The chances is definitely greater than  50%.
5. Should Nigeria take that gamble?.

Let me now re-explain my own conclusion:

Yes, OBJ is not a saint, he is not the only one that can govern us.  He is foolish not to have seen that Atiku is the successor he should have never picked. But as for gambling I will say it loud and clear. Its a capital NO. 1979-1983 is enough lesson to teach one.  Maybe you guys in the comfortable land there might want to gamble. Afterall it does not directly affect you. OBJ is doing much more than all our past leaders. He might have faulted in one or two things, even in several things. But remember he can never please everybody and he is only human.

The constitution says two terms. But we are not zombies. The constitution itself says "amend me if you think i need to be modify to give you or take you on the part of the good life".

Should OBJ become a life President: I say NO. It has been shown times without number that after sometime the performance of any chief executive starts declining. It peaks at a point.

So if we want to stick to term limit like zombies then we should be vigorously searching for a very good successor with a probability of 90% success. I don't think we have that time now and don't ask me how to do that. I am just expantiating on your suggestion. Maybe you will give us an insight into how it is achievable instead of just bashing someone who is as human as yourself.

I think i have made myself clear enough.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by jibitoye(m): 11:33am On Apr 26, 2006
Sorry Akolawole you didn't get the import of my response to you. I am personally inclined to “geriatricks”!

The point really is that OBJ did not just become a figure in our politics after 1979 (or in 1999!). And if the truth be told our national mess started in the 70s of which our dear OBJ was a major actor. Like I said earlier he is one of the luckiest leaders who incidentally have been given another opportunity by providence to redeem himself and he should just run with that.

Omoifa: yes, seemingly the proponents of “third term” have this same excuse that OBJ has given us some form of purposeful leadership since 1999 therefore he should just continue the good job. Unfortunately, save for any mischief being contemplated, this might be true especially in some instances and we do not necessarily need arguments about that. But having said that, reforms and economic blueprints and what have you can not be entrenched in a society where all the other ingredients of stability are lacking and one of such is a solid political culture (and this encompasses national political ideologies, a tested mode of succession, respect for the rule of law etc.).

We have tried so many things in Nigeria, Structural Adjustment, SFEM, NEEDS, pseudo-privatisation and you can name it, but the problem with all these policies is not that on paper they lack merits, but that they alone can not survive in a society where there is not the adequate socio-political structures for them. This is why OBJ will rightly be scared that his legacy will be squandered by his successor.
Privatisation (and likewise any other economic reform agenda) for instance is potentially going to create more problems for us because the rules (and where there are even rules, they are not religiously adhered to) are not essentially well-defined especially concerning who owns, how much you can own, who arbitrates distress, industrial relations etc.

My “beef” (if I am allowed to use that word) with OBJ essentially is that he is not addressing the political problem; “third term” is just an ad-hoc solution to that problem and it potentially has the capability of worsening it.
There are a few leaders who have the rare opportunities of having the kind of control OBJ has over his party, in which case I believe he should be using that as a platform for political reforms in Nigeria. Do I see another missed opportunity here?
OBJ’s platform remains the PDP (let’s face it he became the President of Nigeria as a representative of a particular political organisation) and if he wants his good programmes (which I also believe are essentially not OBJ’s programmes but that of the PDP) protected when he leaves in 2007 (or whenever as things are shaping up now) he should continue to make those political investments in the PDP in such a way that within its ranks there could be another credible representative to carry on the programmes. That is how democratic foundations are solidified. We should be wise enough to “smell the coffee” here. We can not build our society around personalities. It even smacks of some kind of political mischief, if the PDP were confident enough of their achievements (and in fact the beliefs that define their organisation) in power, they should uphold their achievements and go back to the people for more time to continue their good “deeds” as a political group and not win the political argument via the backdoor!

So, I believe necessarily the “bashing” is not about OBJ but what he is doing and people are not dumb enough to recognise that there is a potential danger ahead.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by omoifa(m): 6:50pm On Apr 26, 2006
You might all want to read this article to be better informed: http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/peterside/042406.html
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by omoifa(m): 7:33pm On Apr 26, 2006
I don't know where you get your "facts" from Jibitoye. First of all our woes started seriously during the second republic. That is precisely after OBJ. In any case you can only say OBJ was a part of the mess we found ourselves in in the 70's by the mere fact that he was a soldier and because soldiers were in power. I don't think anyone doubted his exceptional leadership in 1976-1979. In case you don't know he was the Federal Commissioner for works in Gowon's cabinet. Ministers were then known as Federal Commissioners.That was when all those lagos flyovers were built, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway was built. This were all under his portfolio. I repeat, I am not saying he is a saint but let's not call him the devil either.

For your information we are very lucky because it is the same man that left power to the civillians in 1979 that took it back as a civillian in 1999. I say we are lucky because this guy was able to tell us what he left behind in 1979 and what he met in 1999. It is best  not to imagine the type of tale. Nigeria Airways from 30 planes to 1. Only one power station built in 20 years when we should be building every year, etc etc.

I don't think anyone should doubt that OBJ is giving us purposeful leadership. If we should compare what we had to what we have now we should give thanks to GOD. That is not to say we are getting the absolute best. Far from it. However what we are getting can be classified as the best amongst all we have had in the past. This i think should be acknowledged. There are so many pointers to that.

I might sound immature here but we should really let our political culture evolve. We need to get out of poverty and get our economy running normally as priority. I sincerely don't see how our political culture can have evolved under 7 years. Remember that when the soldiers are around you dear not go politicking. I don't see how that can be fast tracked. It is like fast tracking the democratic culture.

My dear I don't think you should have any beef with anybody. If you have any beef at all it should be with those politicians of yester-years who mortgaged our future and who are spoiling to come back to re-mortgage it.

I was fortunate, or is it unfortunate, to be with one the other day. He described graphically how they will jail everybody and eat up, like termites, the 36 billion Dollars the "foolish" man is saving. I hear that by the end of the year the 36 billion would have become 50 billion Dollars reserve.

My people we should beware. We are dancing to our doom. If we decide to get OBJ out we should not get in the Termites. All the talks about institutionalising things is seriously going on. Parastatals with Chief Executives who are performers are doing the job the way they should and sending bills to the national assdembly to strenghten their institutions. I mean really strenghten and not bills that will allow them siphon money. In any case bills to siphon money will not pass thru a parliament.  

I was totally indifferent to the third term like most other Nigerians until I heard one of the Termites speak.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by ono(m): 8:49am On Apr 27, 2006
omoifa:

I don't know where you get your "facts" from Jibitoye. First of all our woes started seriously during the second republic. That is precisely after OBJ. In any case you can only say OBJ was a part of the mess we found ourselves in in the 70's by the mere fact that he was a soldier and because soldiers were in power. I don't think anyone doubted his exceptional leadership in 1976-1979. In case you don't know he was the Federal Commissioner for works in Gowon's cabinet. Ministers were then known as Federal Commissioners.That was when all those lagos flyovers were built, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway was built. This were all under his portfolio. I repeat, I am not saying he is a saint but let's not call him the devil either.

For your information we are very lucky because it is the same man that left power to the civillians in 1979 that took it back as a civillian in 1999. I say we are lucky because this guy was able to tell us what he left behind in 1979 and what he met in 1999. It is best  not to imagine the type of tale. Nigeria Airways from 30 planes to 1. Only one power station built in 20 years when we should be building every year, etc etc.

I don't think anyone should doubt that OBJ is giving us purposeful leadership. If we should compare what we had to what we have now we should give thanks to GOD. That is not to say we are getting the absolute best. Far from it. However what we are getting can be classified as the best amongst all we have had in the past. This i think should be acknowledged. There are so many pointers to that.

I might sound immature here but we should really let our political culture evolve. We need to get out of poverty and get our economy running normally as priority. I sincerely don't see how our political culture can have evolved under 7 years. Remember that when the soldiers are around you dear not go politicking. I don't see how that can be fast tracked. It is like fast tracking the democratic culture.

My dear I don't think you should have any beef with anybody. If you have any beef at all it should be with those politicians of yester-years who mortgaged our future and who are spoiling to come back to re-mortgage it.

I was fortunate, or is it unfortunate, to be with one the other day. He described graphically how they will jail everybody and eat up, like termites, the 36 billion Dollars the "foolish" man is saving. I hear that by the end of the year the 36 billion would have become 50 billion Dollars reserve.

My people we should beware. We are dancing to our doom. If we decide to get OBJ out we should not get in the Termites. All the talks about institutionalising things is seriously going on. Parastatals with Chief Executives who are performers are doing the job the way they should and sending bills to the national assdembly to strenghten their institutions. I mean really strenghten and not bills that will allow them siphon money. In any case bills to siphon money will not pass through a parliament. 

I was totally indifferent to the third term like most other Nigerians until I heard one of the Termites speak.

I know good things don't come easy. You want our political culture to evolve and you want us to ''allow'' it. I must say I don't know how I as a person have prevented this politico-cultural evolution you want from getting it's roots in the country. You should tell that to our ever greedy and lousy leaders who like sharing the national cake among a clique and pauperise the general public.

All I believe and know is that this country is still one today because the resources of the Niger delta people are still being taken as the national cake meant to be shared. Let the Delta people take away this national cake and get to know what will befall this mammoth combination of sickheads called Nigeria.

Why do you think the general public do not like protesting against any evil done by bad leaders up there?
Why do you think mediocricy still thrive in the country, when we should be encouraging excellence?
What about the wastage in every sphere of government, the over bloated civil service?

I tell you the answer: It's because the general public, especially the many uneducated folks and the few educated elite knows that most of what they have today in their cities and communities do not really come from their sweat. It came from the forceful acquisition of the resources of the Niger Delta people, which they used in building their town and cities up. And why would the Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo want to spoil something that's going good for them?

If there's any protest from any of these tribes against bad leadership, it's what I'll call ''crocodile protests'' - from Crocodile Tears. It's not genuine, because when the chips are down, they will align with those who are giving them free source of livelihood from impoverishing the innocent people of the Niger Delta. If there is any genuine voice amongst them, know that the voice will be whittled down by the many voices against such protests. The Anikulapo families are a very good example in this case.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by dude(m): 9:59am On Apr 27, 2006
and to all thees brings one question, will OBJ actualise this (his) 3rd term agenda? and if he's a democrat as he will want all nigerians to believe, then why go against the wishes of the majority of nigerians by inflicting himself (obj) on them when it's so apparent they dont want him? lastly, has it occured to anyone that this 3rd term if it float's might park off ethnic\religious violence?

if he truly loves nigeria, he should just quit and not heat up the polity. and the arguement that we will gambling if he should go doesnt hold water. all delevoped countries gambled and won. goverment is about continuity, and no one person can ever possibly reform a country. so anyone telling us the constitution should be amended to suit just one person out of 120 million should start thinking again.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by omoifa(m): 12:16pm On Apr 27, 2006
dude:

and if he's a democrat as he will want all nigerians to believe, then why go against the wishes of the majority of nigerians by inflicting himself (obj) on them when it's so apparent they don't want him? lastly, has it occured to anyone that this 3rd term if it float's might park off ethnic\religious violence?

You sound so authoritative dude. Speaking for over 120 million Nigerians. Who told you the majority don't want him. Who told you the majority even cares who rules them. Are you the majority. Just because our media houses have taken sides doesn't mean they are the majority. Let me tell you authoritatively that most Nigerians don't give a damn who rules them. They care more about being able to live a normal life. So if its an OBJ there or You they really don't care. It is only the elite like you or the Termites like many others who care. How many of you are elite make the 120 million. I bet you can't even make one percent. I plead that you think through instead of reading a thoroughly biased media. Don't you know that is how they sell their papers. If they align with Government as NTA does nobody will buy them like the way everyone regards NTA nowadays. How many people use to by Daily Times in those days when it was still Govt owned and there were private competition like Guardian. Yes, most people bought it before private competition because there was no alternative. Yes everyone watched NTA then because there was no alternative. The situation is different now. The trick is that when you start talking Anti-Establishment then you start getting noticed both by the establishment and the opposition. So you get full coverage. If you talk Government everybody knows you talk Government so you have nothing interesting. Maybe except when government does great things like send a teacher to space.

I can tell you that the papers should not have taken sides. They will cause this ethnic violence if there will be any.

dude:

if he truly loves nigeria, he should just quit and not heat up the polity. and the arguement that we will gambling if he should go doesnt hold water. all delevoped countries gambled and won. goverment is about continuity, and no one person can ever possibly reform a country. so anyone telling us the constitution should be amended to suit just one person out of 120 million should start thinking again.

Obviously Dude you have not been reading thru the forum. I am saying loud and clear that we do not want to Gamble!. If you want to gamble go to a casino nearby and stake all your earnings or maybe your life on a horse race or Lotto. I bet you wouldn't do that. However you are telling us to gamble because it really does not directly affect you. And what is the reason why we should gamble?. According to you
simply because they should not amend the constitution for one man. Just listen to you!.

Answer this question Dude!

If in a horse race you know the odds are against your favourite horses because:

1. Over 50% of your favourite horses are too old. (Over 50% of Possible Candidates to the Presidency are established Termites)
2. The time the horse owners have to prepare the horses for the race is damn too short. (The probability of getting an experienced, tested and fine man to be a successor is too short)

Will you stake out <b>all <b>your earnings and life for any of your favourite horses?

Maybe you will stake out some of your earnings. But all!, I doubt.

So why are you telling us to do that?

We will only gamble if there is an insurance that when we loose all our money we will still somehow get half of it back through some insurance scheme. Right now we don't have that scheme. As Jibitoye rightly said the institutions are not yet in place. This institutions would have insured us from a mad Termite.
Re: Obasanjo Bashing: Have Your Say! by dude(m): 4:27pm On Apr 28, 2006
Your arguments are full of holes even though they are well laid out. Firstly, if you are resident in Nigeria, then tell me who has endorsed 3rd term for the president apart from some few senators, PDP whose majority chieftains jump into every new political train. ALL our respected elder statesmen have spoken out against sucession.

And the issue of the Media being Biased, that my friend is even more laughable. Can you tell me how taking a position Translate’s into being biased? Have the media stop interviewing pro-3rd term individuals? Or do they reject the adverts from people clamoring for 3rd term? Did you see upper Thursday’s edition of thisday newspaper? The back and front was boldly adverted by some individuals clamouring for 3rd term.is that my friend your own interpretations of a biased media? It all goes beyond the sensational headlines you see, because that is how all newspaper houses all over the world sell their papers. Do you want me to refer you some opinions polls where all voters rejected 3rd term? Who are the majority you claim want 3rd term. Please give me some references. (Not the PDP endorsement oh). Will you tell me seasoned journalists like Dele sobowale or Ayo animashaun don’t know what they are writing about by voicing out against 3rd term? They annoying thing is that all pro-3rd term folks have no other argument to back their reason for a 3rd term except that a successive government will discontinue the present administrations policies. Will you tell me (us) that we have no credible press houses in Nigeria anymore? If you claim majority of Nigerians want 3rd term, and the press will always write what the people want to hear, and by extension will sell their papers, can you then tell me why or how the press will keep hammering against third term if it’s a popular opinion And if you have been reading widely, I then don’t have to tell you the Media’s opinion is well balanced. So to your opinion of a biased media, I REFUSE to be mis-informed!

Tell me who apart from you, and some crooks like Tony aneineh, bode George, and ojo madueke (who were the same people clamouring self sucession for late abacha) wants else wants third term? Did you say majority don’t give a damn about who rules them? There again my friend, you are misinformed. Maybe I should tell you politics have a whole lot of religious and ethnic undertones attached. And how many people do you think actually live a normal good life right now? Maybe me and you are a little lucky. Can the same be said for the folks in deep thick villages who are poverty stricken? Who live from hand to mouth? And are killed on constant bases by diseases which might not cost up to 2,000 to cure. Will you then still tell me those people who make up a majority of the population won’t give a damn about who rules them? Will they just sleep over who the person presiding over them while they are being subjected to a miserable life? They might be helpless, but definitely unconcerned.

And to the issue of gambling, you said in one of your posts “we should stop gambling”. I guess you didn’t see my response was figurative. In any case, what I was saying was that most developed countries had successive government that did various things to better the lots of their people. if changing government like it is done in most democratic systems we try to emulate is gambling, so be it. Nigeria did not start and will not end with president obasanjo. Did you say the constitution should be amended so that we should continue to enjoy the good governance obj is giving? Hmmmm. Is somebody not also sounding authoritative and speaking for over 120 million Nigerians here? And to your questions about horses, I have just one response. Will Obasanjo not find one good successor among the other 50% who are not established termites (using your language) ? Remember he still has a little over a year to the end of his tenure if he’s sincere. To your advice that I should stake out my earnings and gamble if I feel like. Thanks so much for the unsolicited advice. Will find my way to Las-Vegas when am ready, and won’t need to be told where to go.

Finally my friend, if you are familiar with all sit-tight African leaders stories, you will know they start out like obasanjo is doing. Trying to make everyone believe their countries won’t survive without them. Does president obasanjo want history to record him with the likes of Mugabe, mobutu sese seko, mattew kerekou, Sani abacha, and late idi amin of Uganda? How do you know he won’t want a 4th and maybe 5th time eventually? I will still tell you Nigeria may not even get to the promise land in his (obj) life time, but what he does now will still have an inpact 30 years from now. Does he at this stage of his life want to set a bad precedent? Suppose if the amendment is successful, and you or me get there tomorrow, wont we re-emend the constitution to accommodate us for as long as we want by conveniently recalling the obasanjo’s example. Theses my friend and many more are the dangers of obj having a third term. i still stand by my post that majority of nigerians are against third term. and my dear omoifa, i await your response.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibo Man Flees Before Sentencing On Drug Charges! / BREAKING NEWS: Audu Ogbe Redployed To Ministry Of Environment / -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.