Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum (36918 Views)

Chartered Statisticians And Statistician-general / Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium / Statisticians And Operations Research Analysts In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by deedav: 8:41pm On Dec 07, 2014
Greetings to all great statisticians in the house!!!!

Statistics is a great field, I believe it equips one with the ability to see logically, think logically, take logical decisions and even critique illogicality.
Depending on which sector one wishes to dive into, there's that crystal clear need for one not only to understand data but understand the workings, operations and mechanism in that sector which bring about the data in other for one to be relevant and be more proficient and effective.

Statistics is the larger body, it now boils down to you discerning where you fit in the broad field of human life be it in Engineering, Public Health, Behavioural sciences, Actuarial sciences, Population Studies etc.

thank you!

I studied Demography and Social Statistics.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by zebra(m): 2:53pm On Dec 08, 2014
deedav:
Greetings to all great statisticians in the house!!!!

Statistics is a great field, I believe it equips one with the ability to see logically, think logically, take logical decisions and even critique illogicality.
Depending on which sector one wishes to dive into, there's that crystal clear need for one not only to understand data but understand the workings, operations and mechanism in that sector which bring about the data in other for one to be relevant and be more proficient and effective.

Statistics is the larger body, it now boils down to you discerning where you fit in the broad field of human life be it in Engineering, Public Health, Behavioural sciences, Actuarial sciences, Population Studies etc.

thank you!

I studied Demography and Social Statistics.
Good my broda. I'm a practising statistician too.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Cashnote: 6:43pm On Dec 09, 2014
Wetin dy delay Cison bill na!
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Harry4cas(m): 8:04am On Dec 25, 2014
Cashnote:
Wetin dy delay Cison bill na!
i have asked that same question too
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 27, 2014
Pls add me up: 266C8991 I've got an urgent enquiry.

Harry4cas:
i have asked that same question too
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Harry4cas(m): 9:31pm On Dec 27, 2014
nedu213:
Pls add me up: 266C8991 I've got an urgent enquiry.

emm am off bbm n whatsap for now... U can use www.twitter.com/itsdonmonc or www.Fb.com/emekaharrisono
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by owolabiza(m): 7:29am On Dec 28, 2014
I hail all statistician in d house.....@mr zebra,I need u to help ur fellow statistician DAT really had passion for analysis on some materials DAT would be of help to learn more....... SPSS, minitab, R, SAS and MS-Excel.......I want u to put me through some stuffs on analysis......am a serving corp member..........I have average knowledge on various packages like Splus,excel,R and SPSS......
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by owolabiza(m): 7:33am On Dec 28, 2014
statisticians in da house,we not left out oooooo......let's improve our skills and share knowledge............thanks..

I also wanna ask ,wu knows about Royal statistical society. I think its a nice program for graduates,they have various diploma programme but d programmes are costly...............
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 29, 2014
Contact me via 2 6 6 C 8 9 9 1 or watsapp 0 8 0 3 2 8 2 2 4 6 9

Would like to collaborate with you.
owolabiza:
statisticians in da house,we not left out oooooo......let's improve our skills and share knowledge............thanks..

I also wanna ask ,wu knows about Royal statistical society. I think its a nice program for graduates,they have various diploma programme but d programmes are costly...............
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Idacrux: 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2014
Greatest statisticians!!! Ihail u all...the discipline really what it because a statistics rules the world.Am a 300L statistics student ...I Nassite UNN chapter!
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Emyemyberry(m): 2:30pm On Jan 01, 2015
Idacrux:
Greatest statisticians!!! Ihail u all...the discipline really what it because a statistics rules the world.Am a 300L statistics student ...I Nassite UNN chapter!
same level,unizik
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by durobukola: 11:48pm On Jan 01, 2015
Happy New Year to all.

If I have spare time this year, We would do SPSS step by step... Say HI if you are IN and NAY if you are not.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by owolabiza(m): 7:06am On Jan 02, 2015
hi......
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Harry4cas(m): 8:23am On Jan 02, 2015
Me too i need the computer programmes for statistics like SPSS... I need to prepare ahead in time b4 ma project and to make money with it aswell.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by durobukola: 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2015
Statistics and Analysis runs and explains the laws of life...

Law 1: Nothing Just Happens. Also relates to Newtons first law of motion. A body remains in a state of rest or permanent motion unless its acted upon by an external force.

That is why we have dependent and independent variables. Independent variables are the cause, and the dependent variable demonstrates the effect of the cause.

For example, when Monetary Policy Rate (MPR) increases, bank lending rates also go up. MPR here would be considered the independent/explanatory variable while Bank Lending Rates would be the dependent/explained variable. Why? Its movement is dependent on another factor.

To be a good statistician, you must understand relationships, how to identify relationships, what drives the relationships, to what degree does the factors have any effect, does the effect make sense or should be discarded etc.

Without a fundamental understanding, statistical tools (SPSS, R, Ms Excel etc) cannot be of any help. With understanding, in fact, if the devil gives you data to model in the dream, you will do it, gladly...

Once again, happy new year...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Coldplay007(f): 11:36am On Jan 04, 2015
Statisticians HELP..
I need a good statistician (post graduate level) or someone who did a major post graduate module in qualitative and quantitative data analysis and reporting with a good grasp of SPSS to help me with a Post graduate level Data analysis assignment...
Its urgent please, the deadline is very close.....
Please send me a PM....
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by zebra(m): 7:19pm On Jan 04, 2015
Coldplay007:
Statisticians HELP..
I need a good statistician (post graduate level) or someone who did a major post graduate module in qualitative and quantitative data analysis and reporting with a good grasp of SPSS to help me with a Post graduate level Data analysis assignment...
Please send me a PM....
Assignment on what topic? I could be of help.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 05, 2015
Get in touch with professional statisticians hit www.data-ville.com/support

Coldplay007:
Statisticians HELP..
Please send me a PM....
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by durobukola: 3:48pm On Jan 05, 2015
Of what use is statistics? What is the essence of hypothesis? What is confidence interval? p-value? level of significance?

For you to appreciate the power and extreme relevance of these concepts, firstly, settle it at heart that Statisticians are Decision Makers. They are rational, logical and methodical.

Statistical concepts are not approached from a silo/piecemeal point of view, but from a global perspective. The first questions to ask would be - what are we trying to achieve? What decisions are we trying to make? What factors will determine the direction of our choices? Should we go left or right? Hold or move? What are our objectives? Why? The right questions help to make the right decisions.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by durobukola: 4:45pm On Jan 05, 2015
The field of statistics touches our lives in many ways. From the daily routines in our homes to the business of making the greatest cities run, the effects of statistics are everywhere.

Statistical analysis defined

What is statistical analysis? It’s the science of collecting, exploring and presenting large amounts of data to discover underlying patterns and trends. Statistics are applied every day – in research, industry and government – to become more scientific about decisions that need to be made. For example:

Manufacturers use statistics to weave quality into beautiful fabrics, to bring lift to the airline industry and to help guitarists make beautiful music.
Researchers keep children healthy by using statistics to analyze data from the production of viral vaccines, which ensures consistency and safety.
Communication companies use statistics to optimize network resources, improve service and reduce customer churn by gaining greater insight into subscriber requirements.
Government agencies around the world rely on statistics for a clear understanding of their countries, their businesses and their people.
Look around you. From the tube of toothpaste in your bathroom to the planes flying overhead, you see hundreds of products and processes every day that have been improved through the use of statistics.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by durobukola: 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2015
Traditional methods for statistical analysis – from sampling data to interpreting results – have been used by scientists for thousands of years. But today’s data volumes make statistics ever more valuable and powerful. Affordable storage, powerful computers and advanced algorithms have all led to an increased use of computational statistics.

Whether you are working with large data volumes or running multiple permutations of your calculations, statistical computing has become essential for today’s statistician. Popular statistical computing practices include:

Statistical programming – From traditional analysis of variance and linear regression to exact methods and statistical visualization techniques, statistical programming is essential for making data-based decisions in every field.
Econometrics – Modeling, forecasting and simulating business processes for improved strategic and tactical planning. This method applies statistics to economics to forecast future trends.
Operations research – Identify the actions that will produce the best results – based on many possible options and outcomes. Scheduling, simulation, and related modeling processes are used to optimize business processes and management challenges.
Matrix programming – Powerful computer techniques for implementing your own statistical methods and exploratory data analysis using row operation algorithms.
Statistical visualization – Fast, interactive statistical analysis and exploratory capabilities in a visual interface can be used to understand data and build models.
Statistical quality improvement – A mathematical approach to reviewing the quality and safety characteristics for all aspects of production.
High-performance statistics – For the biggest big data challenges, in-memory infrastructures and parallel processing can fit predictive models faster, perform more modeling iterations and use complex techniques for faster results.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 07, 2015
[quote author=durobukola post=29577715]
please;is demographic and social statistics the same with main statistic
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 16, 2015
National Association of Statistics Students of Nigeria (NASSON) Facebook Page:

www.facebook.com/nassonmembers
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Funpeter: 9:20pm On Jan 18, 2015
durobukola:
Traditional methods for statistical analysis – from sampling data to interpreting results – have been used by scientists for thousands of years. But today’s data volumes make statistics ever more valuable and powerful. Affordable storage, powerful computers and advanced algorithms have all led to an increased use of computational statistics.

Whether you are working with large data volumes or running multiple permutations of your calculations, statistical computing has become essential for today’s statistician. Popular statistical computing practices include:

Statistical programming – From traditional analysis of variance and linear regression to exact methods and statistical visualization techniques, statistical programming is essential for making data-based decisions in every field.
Econometrics – Modeling, forecasting and simulating business processes for improved strategic and tactical planning. This method applies statistics to economics to forecast future trends.
Operations research – Identify the actions that will produce the best results – based on many possible options and outcomes. Scheduling, simulation, and related modeling processes are used to optimize business processes and management challenges.
Matrix programming – Powerful computer techniques for implementing your own statistical methods and exploratory data analysis using row operation algorithms.
Statistical visualization – Fast, interactive statistical analysis and exploratory capabilities in a visual interface can be used to understand data and build models.
Statistical quality improvement – A mathematical approach to reviewing the quality and safety characteristics for all aspects of production.
High-performance statistics – For the biggest big data challenges, in-memory infrastructures and parallel processing can fit predictive models faster, perform more modeling iterations and use complex techniques for faster results.
Pls can I send u a pm? Need to ask some questions. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by NASSONACADEMIA: 1:57am On Jan 22, 2015
NASSON is a multi-disciplinary academic organization. Membership is open to Nigerian students with interests in statistical computing in faculties of Administration, Agriculture, Forestry & Ecology, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Management Sciences, Social Sciences, Physical & Natural Sciences, Medical & Pharmaceutical Sciences and Education.

Join a network of students, alumni and professionals working, researching, teaching and studying statistics and enjoy local, interstate and online events.

There is no fee for membership.

www.nasson.org.ng

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by johnsteg: 4:01pm On Jan 30, 2015
In my early life as an undergraduate,i was thought the difference between information science and information technology.Though as a computer science undergrad,i wondered why my Stata lecturer will always refer stat students and even operation research student as information science discipline.
Now i know better.If i had another chance to undergraduate program i'll choose computer science,..Big data is a field that has accentuated the importance and relevance of computer scientist not Statisticians (sorry my friends),how did i finish without learning R i ask myself,but hey i am on this path now.
To my statisticians, please come on-board if you can programme and develop algorithm as we fill this huge gap in analytics world.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by johnsteg: 4:03pm On Jan 30, 2015
My friends,Learn R,Tableau and Machine learning.I guess Hadoop is very essential too and lets give our the nation the manpower required to move forward.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by deedav: 7:49pm On Jan 30, 2015
Yeah! R is one crazy software! I am still learning ; it does complex statistical analysis, manipulations etc. You just need to know what you are doing in R and how it works. Statisticians are moving towards programming language (SQL)! The field of Demography (my field) isn't left out.

If you are willing to learn R, coursera.com will be of profound help in this regard. Lastly, you will do yourself some good by being a member of a statistics group on linkedin, so you can be be updated on the latest in the world of statistics.

my fellow statisticians in the house, I greet you all and to my upcoming statisticians please keep learning and upgrading! Nigeria will soon know how important statistics is to national development.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by zebra(m): 8:31pm On Jan 30, 2015
johnsteg:
In my early life as an undergraduate,i was thought the difference between information science and information technology.Though as a computer science undergrad,i wondered why my Stata lecturer will always refer stat students and even operation research student as information science discipline.
Now i know better.If i had another chance to undergraduate program i'll choose computer science,..Big data is a field that has accentuated the importance and relevance of computer scientist not Statisticians (sorry my friends),how did i finish without learning R i ask myself,but hey i am on this path now.
To my statisticians, please come on-board if you can programme and develop algorithm as we fill this huge gap in analytics world.
I guess u know nothing about statistical computing. Most theoretical Statisticians develop algorithms and are good programmers.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Samcathe: 8:10pm On Feb 03, 2015
can anyone pls recommend professional courses that a statistician can do as an undergraduate.
thanks all.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 10:54pm On Feb 03, 2015
i am a 100level student in d department of
mathematics ahmadu bello university zaria....
Statistics is my course of study....
80percent of d students in mathematics/statistics
department originally applied for other courses but
were given mathematics/statistics. I was given electrical engineering but was forced to change
course to statistics because of d deficiency i have in
my O'level,so i am still thinking of changing course
back to electrical engineering after 100level.....
I write to get advice from people who
graduated from that field,and to find any reason why i should continue(pls convince me).......thanks
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Harry4cas(m): 9:21pm On Feb 09, 2015
NASSONACADEMIA:
NASSON is a multi-disciplinary academic organization. Membership is open to Nigerian students with interests in statistical computing in faculties of Administration, Agriculture, Forestry & Ecology, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Management Sciences, Social Sciences, Physical & Natural Sciences, Medical & Pharmaceutical Sciences and Education.

Join a network of students, alumni and professionals working, researching, teaching and studying statistics and enjoy local, interstate and online events.

There is no fee for membership.

www.nasson.org.ng
educate us on why we need to do join? Whats the relative importance and gain of becoming a member of nasson?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Female Welder, Lesley Faith Celebrates Her Birthday With Beautiful Photos / The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality / Computer Science: Where Can I Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.