Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,566 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer (55853 Views)

Innoson Motors Spotted At The National Assembly Complex (See Photos) / Innoson Motors, Places Nigeria In The List Of Car Manufacturer / The Best Of IVM Motors (Innoson Motors) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by madridsta007(m): 10:05am On Nov 22, 2012
sambos994:

Again with Biafra...he wasn't talking about Igbos....

Are you hurt?
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by sambos994(m): 10:08am On Nov 22, 2012
madridsta007:

Are you hurt?

No. not really. As for the article.....this is a step forward in the right direction.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by madridsta007(m): 10:11am On Nov 22, 2012
sambos994:

No. not really. As for the article.....this is a step forward in the right direction.

Very good. You can ignore the 'Ndigbo kwenu/ Biafra kwenu' felicitations- those who it is meant for would respond accordingly.

INNOSON has been there since, I guess due to strong interest from Ghana, South Africa and a few other African countries, Nigeria has forced herself to take notice. A little too late, methinks.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by passion007: 10:58am On Nov 22, 2012
All the while, I've been seein IVM on Enugu State buses, waste-disposal trucks, and even state-govt-owned Jeeps. As medical students, we used to board the fully-airconditioned IVM buses from Old Site (behind Ogbete) to Ituku-ozalla (on the outskirt of Enugu town)where the teaching hospital is located. These buses have performed better than the Nissan buses which were introduced before the IVM buses but which are scarce on the road these days (?machine breakdown). I am very delighted the Enugu State Govt is supporting Innoson in his exploits and I wish him greater success in future.

Whether he is Anambra or not is irrelevant. What matters is that he is Nigerian and has achieved a remarkable feat which ought to be encouraged.

1 Like

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by sambos994(m): 11:04am On Nov 22, 2012
I've taken a look at his cars. I must say they're not half bad...

1 Like

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by amiskurie(m): 11:11am On Nov 22, 2012
My country pple,abeg make una patronize Innoson instead of Tata and chico vehicles.

2 Likes

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by lucom: 11:36am On Nov 22, 2012
Sir Chukwuma I salute you, we need more of you.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by ak47mann(m): 11:39am On Nov 22, 2012
the problem with the haters in nigeria and Africa at large is that they dont no how white people see them,am going to post and highlight a comment from some white folk on utube talking about black scientist...if u think INNOSON is not making you proud well i think this white boy comment will make you proud..If you dont produce anything world can see and contribute to world economy trust me,if u like be an engineer for ford company or a phd in science and technology as long as u not creative, u are just a monkey in their eyes

Wow, an intelligent spear chucker? How the Bleep does that work? I betcha this guys a load of shit, after all, Africans do have brains the size of a molecule and are pretty much full of air for the most part.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Lero15(m): 11:47am On Nov 22, 2012
i hate long threads!
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Deffwill(m): 12:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
veraponpo: This is good but the caption is misleading. Before Innoson, Nigeria has Peugeot Nigeria Ltd in Kaduna since 1970's and has been asembling cars for Nigerians and govts. But it is a laudable idea. Kudos.

Peugeot was never a Nigerian brand, it was a franchise...the brand was also not Nigerian, but IVM is totally a Nigerian initiatve.

1 Like

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by dounleedee: 1:45pm On Nov 22, 2012
The Innoson story is a welcome relief from all the nauseating stories of corruption and ethnic bigotry barrage we daily have to contend with on this forum. The foresight and prowess of the founder of the organization should have attracted recognition beyond just a government meritorious award to a full professorship elevation in any of our science and technology universities as practised by the Germans.

Secondly, government needs to build a credible high-tech institution around Innoson’s operations where adequate research and documentations should commence in earnest to improve “know how” and train Nigerians (without disenfranchising the locals currently responsible for most of the production of the various parts being manufactured) in Innoson’s activities and beyond.
Innoson’s achievement apart from being a regional feat is a national achievement. The Ibos have always been known for their industrial ingenuity and one wonders why it has taken successive Nigerian governments eternity in recognising this and providing incentives and an enabling platform for further research in the various achievements the Ibos have recorded over the years in industrialisation.

Beyond the assembling and manufacturing of CKDs which Innoson is championing, there is a need to invest in the invention of our own steel moulders and to further encourage local innovators in designs and technology appropriate for our people, sub region and beyond. A genuine revival of our comatose steel industry will be very crucial in this regard.

The efforts of some government arms to mandate the purchase of Innoson’s product should not be viewed from the negative perspective in terms of quality and safety standards, if anything, the need for quality and safety standards should in fact spur government into looking at relevant agencies that can work with Innoson to deliver to internationally acceptable standards.

Encouraging and mandating the purchase of Innoson’s products should be a national agenda. Similarly, discouraging competitive products comparable to what Innoson is producing through a revolutionised import duty scheme will ensure that Innoson gets needed revenue to sustain and improve its operations.

In addition, government should be looking at synergising the interplay of technology by quickly promoting and harnessing skills and expertise from other innovators and sectors in the enlarged society to directly compliment the activities of Innoson such that investors, including the corporate sector can be encouraged to start looking at industrialisation as a profit making and exportable venture.

The Chinese are playing a critical role in the acquisition of the technology currently being adapted by Innoson, therefore, government should provide incentives to the Chinese and other foreigners desirous of transferring technology to our people i.e., tax breaks, free land, free accommodation, grants etc.

Industrial emancipation is a tool the western world is currently using to perpetually keep third world countries enslaved, whilst we must give kudos to the Chinese for working in partnership with Innoson, there should be a clear clarion call from government to Nigerian scientists and innovators all over the world irrespective of their ethnicity to come over to Nnewi to see the progress being made and to contribute their quota. However crude, the activities of Ibos at industrialisation can be percieved, the region should be granted a special industrialisation hub status with appropriate grants for continued research and development.

Government needs to create that enabling environment to attract relevant interests and recognising Innoson’s achievement through policy statements rather than meritorious statements will go a long way in opening the floodgates of renewed efforts at industrialisation.

May God continue to bless our fragile union Nigeria and somehow open the eyes of our self acclaimed leaders to what is right and good for the country.

A big heartfelt Kudos to Innocent Ckukwuma and all and sundry associated with the Innoson Group.

3 Likes

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 22, 2012
^^ Excellent input. Kudos.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by InvertedHammer: 4:04pm On Nov 22, 2012
Few months back, NL forum was agog with some pictures of the new Range Rover (which is pretty much a rebranded Ford Explorer 2013)
Folks showered encomiums on the RR.

GOD FORBIT, if it were to be Innoson... It would have been total condemnation and off book quotations to mar their ignorance of how the
contemporary auto industry works.

The white SUV is Ford Explorer 2013. The red one is Range Rover 2013. Can you spot the few differences?
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by sonety2k(m): 4:10pm On Nov 22, 2012
Nice one INNOSON MOTORS ,
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by porka: 4:35pm On Nov 22, 2012
nanaboi: I wonder how the said plant runs considering our power issues here. What we need from government is not their verbal support, but LIGHT.

Without light, Nigeria will NEVER do well in production or manufacturing of any sort. Several companies that tried before are like ancient tombstones now. People import coz it's easier to trade here than it is to produce anything.

Keep wondering till you turn to wonderer

MTN has been running on generators for a decade, they are still making super profits, you won't see that, it is someone who's brazing the odds that you are wondering about. Dangote is into manufacturing and production. He is doing well.

Businesses collapse/fail not because of power/electricity ALONE. Success does not fear failure, it thrives in it.

In your own wondering estimation, we must have LIGHT before we lift a finger.

" Wonder! Wonder wonder wonder, wonder wonder wonder till you turn to..." - Femi Kuti

2 Likes

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Prettylady1: 5:05pm On Nov 22, 2012
akigbemaru: This is not a factory to manufacture cars, this is a warehouse! I have seen it and it does not look anything like car manufacturing plants I have seen before. Nigeria can manufacture cars but we are too gullible to fall for the trick of Oyinbo man. All we have got to do is, stop the importation of cars and consult any foreigner car manufacture, but a franchise and give them our own brand of car with African or Nigerian names, all they have got to support us with is the dashboards for all the cars we are making. That is how is done oversea. If US for instance manufactures BMW, IT DOES not have permission to make the dashboard by itself. We just got to consult the Japanese to build those robots that weld anything iron on cars. From every dashboard the mother car company supply, they have their own percentage and that is to guarantee them how many cars are we producing. This will ease the stress of shipping foreign cars and import duties.

u r an ingr8t pple lyk u shld stop commentn if u don't knw hw 2 appericate pple.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by 7lives: 5:45pm On Nov 22, 2012
This Innoson guy should be appreciated and encouraged, this is a massive achievement.
There is hope for Africa after all, with the much needed patronage and support, this auto assembly will metamorphosize into an auto plant, the likes of Ford in few years, in fact this is how Ford started.
People like these are the ones who should be given a national award for their business ideas and jobs creation for Nigerians.
Nigerian politicians should also borrow a leaf from this man, we know they are thieves no one is going to kill them if they can re invest those stolen billions into laudable projects like this to create jobs for Nigerians. People are really suffering out there and please no need for tribalism on issues like this, unemployment is a serious HUMAN QUESTION IN THIS COUNTRY. I am a Yoruba person, ta ba r'erin ka so pe a r'erin, ajanaku koja mo r'inkan firi.
God bless Innoson, God bless Nigeria.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 22, 2012
7lives: This Innoson guy should be appreciated and encouraged, this is a massive achievement.
There is hope for Africa after all, with the much needed patronage and support, this auto assembly will metamorphosize into an auto plant, the likes of Ford in few years, in fact this is how Ford started.

What is it about you people and simple comprehension? For the umpteenth time, INNOSON Motors is a bona fide AUTO MANUFACTURING PLANT, NOT an ''assembly plant''. All the relevant information/evidence has been posted above, yet you still keep posting this ignorant garbage.

2 Likes

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Deffwill(m): 6:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
ROSSIKE: There's no reason why INNOSON should not be a major player in the global auto industry, on a par with the likes of Toyota, Honda, and GM over the next decade or two. Primary focus should be the African market, which is more than ripe for a dynamic new entrant into its auto market, providing well-priced, reliable vehicles. R&grin (research and development) should also be heavily invested in within the firm, with the aim being to further drive down prices without compromising quality, and corner the African market. But the key to all this is to lay a heavy stake in the Nigerian market first, and this was why INNOSON asked the Ghanaian to wait until they'd fully consolidated their Nigeria operations.

I would also suggest, perhaps as a mid-term objective, their release of a flagship luxury saloon vehicle. THAT would turn a lot of heads around the world for sure.

I TOTALLY agree with you my brother...Nigeria alone is more than 15 other African countries put together in terms of market size, Ghana is not up to Lagos alone. The demand in sub-Saharan Africa is in Nigeria right now. Which is why the Chinese, and Europeans are struggling to break in through every sector.
Moreover, Europe and other continents are saturated right now but Africa is relatively a virgin market, thus Innoson should conquer it first starting with local demand then West Africa and the rest of Africa and the world...The sky is the steping stone baby!!! grin grin grin

But first,we need power (electricity) if we are to have and maintain the price edge. Ajaokuta steel company also needs to be fully operational if we are to achieve at least 90% local content...
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 22, 2012
ROSSIKE:

What is it about you people and simple comprehension? For the umpteenth time, INNOSON Motors is a bona fide AUTO MANUFACTURING PLANT, NOT an ''assembly plant''. All the relevant information/evidence has been posted above, yet you still keep posting this ignorant garbage.

Bro, relax. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, yourself included. I wouldn't call the guy's opinion "ignorant garbage", if I did it would make me come across as arrogant and bigoted.

Simply agree to disagree.

2 Likes

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by LOZENGE(m): 9:01pm On Nov 22, 2012
hope this will translate to more employment for nairalanders! grin nobi my talk ohhhh lipsrsealed
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 22, 2012
Siena:

Bro, relax. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, yourself included. I wouldn't call the guy's opinion "ignorant garbage", if I did it would make me come across as arrogant and bigoted.

Simply agree to disagree.

Sorry, but the difference between an auto manufacturing plant and an auto assembly plant is clear-cut and not subject to ''opinion''. Each type of plant has its criteria for meeting the said designation within the auto industry. INNOSON fulfils the criteria for designating its facility an auto manufacturing plant, so THAT'S WHAT IT IS. An Auto Manufacturing Plant. It is not subject to ''opinion''.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 22, 2012
ROSSIKE:
It is not subject to ''opinion''.

I'm sorry, but everything on earth, right or wrong is subject to opinion. Because we're dealing with opinion here, not facts. Opinion is how different persons may view the same thing.

Not everyone will see the same thing from the same angle, hence that's all they are - opinion. Opinion is an entitlement, and should not be suppressed.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by 7lives: 11:54pm On Nov 22, 2012
Rosike or whatever, google is your friend make proper use of it.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by 7lives: 1:04am On Nov 23, 2012
Nigerians love good things no doubt about this, but are we ready to pay the price?, no.
A country that has no functioning steel rolling mill cannot boast of having an auto plant.
Forget about what you read on pages of news papers, auto plants are billion dollar projects. And most times it takes the government will power, political and economic arm twisting of the brand owners to get them to set up these auto plant in another country, especially a developing country like Nigeria.
Innoson and others involved in auto assembly business will get there one day , but for now, this is just the reality, ask the Chinese and the Indians, they will tell you how they got their auto plants.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/may/16/11.html

To adequately develop the sector, the Managing Director of Innoson Nigeria Limited, Chief Innocent Chukwura, recently called for review of government policies.
"If we continue to import fully built up vehicles, we are creating jobs for those countries we are importing from. But the importation of completely or semi knocked down vehicles will create a lot of employment or small-scale businesses,'' he said.
Chukwura said that apart from the usual challenges associated with industries, raw materials like steel were not readily available.

"If Ajaokuta steel can be resuscitated, it will serve the auto industry. However, the challenges remain, and if not surmounted, the dream of going back to the glorious days of auto industry may not be realized," he added.

1 Like

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by ak47mann(m): 1:35am On Nov 23, 2012
7lives:
Nigerians love good things no doubt about this, but are we ready to pay the price?, no.
A country that has no functioning steel rolling mill cannot boast of having an auto plant.
Forget about what you read on pages of news papers, auto plants are billion dollar projects. And most times it takes the government will power, political and economic arm twisting of the brand owners to get them to set up these auto plant in another country, especially a developing country like Nigeria.
Innoson and others involved in auto assembly business will get there one day , but for now, this is just the reality, ask the Chinese and the Indians, they will tell you how they got their auto plants.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/may/16/11.html

To adequately develop the sector, the Managing Director of Innoson Nigeria Limited, Chief Innocent Chukwura, recently called for review of government policies.
"If we continue to import fully built up vehicles, we are creating jobs for those countries we are importing from. But the importation of completely or semi knocked down vehicles will create a lot of employment or small-scale businesses,'' he said.
Chukwura said that apart from the usual challenges associated with industries, raw materials like steel were not readily available.

"If Ajaokuta steel can be resuscitated, it will serve the auto industry. However, the challenges remain, and if not surmounted, the dream of going back to the glorious days of auto industry may not be realized," he added.

what do you think he was producing at the time before he started his car manufacturing company?INNOSSON brands produces more than 15 different products,and you think his was not a billionaire already b4 INNOSSON CAR came to light...pls can you show us your achievement,even though is just a common warehouse with longjohn and chopper bicycles park inside dont worry is still an archievement....
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by 7lives: 1:24pm On Nov 23, 2012
@AK47man, did you read my first contribution to the topic?.
I had already commend innoson for his effort, Nigeria is in sorry state today because people don't want to face the reality.
Did you know that if the Ajaokuta steel rolling mill is functioning, the Nigerian government will have used this to lure so many auto manufacturers and other high profile manufacturing business into this country.
Did you also know that if we have a single auto manufacturing plant in this country, naira may not be in the mess its in today, did you know the impact of Daewoo auto plant on the economy of south Korea.
Did you also know that we can't even manufacture an ordinary bicycle in this country not to talk of vehicles.
The Nigerian economic development failed because Ajaokuta steel rolling project was sabotaged by the world economic powers, while our government are their accomplice because they don't want to face the reality just like you.
And please learn to argue constructively, people don't get paid for being daft, they get paid for being smart.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Denise216(f): 6:49pm On Nov 23, 2012
Innoson Motors isn't the first black-owned auto-maker in the world.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 23, 2012
Denise216: Innoson Motors isn't the first black-owned auto-maker in the world.

That's true. Frederick Douglas Patterson in 1916. http://www.highland-ohio.com/patterson_automobile.htm

1 Like

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Denise216(f): 10:23pm On Nov 23, 2012
Siena:

That's true. Frederick Douglas Patterson in 1916. http://www.highland-ohio.com/patterson_automobile.htm

grin
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by LOZENGE(m): 8:02am On Nov 24, 2012
Denise216: Innoson Motors isn't the first black-owned auto-maker in the world.
no one is diputing that. but the fact remains thtat its the first of its kind in Africa. common guy lets commend this laudable achievement

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Imagine If All Dangote Trucks Were Built Like This (Photos And Video) / Luxury Audi R8 Car Worth Over N40million Spotted At Lagos Airport. Photos / The Overloaded Vehicle Seized In Bauchi By FRSC Officials Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.