Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:56 PM

Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager (10813 Views)

Jose Mourinho Sacked As Chelsea Manager / Jose Mourinho Appointed As Chelsea Manager / Rafa Benitez Appointed Napoli Manager (2) (3) (4)

Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by fireworks7(m): 9:13pm On Nov 21, 2012
Rafa Benitez has been appointed as the "interim" Chelsea manager until the end of the season.

Benitez replaces Roberto Di Matteo, who was sacked on Wednesday morning following Chelsea's disappointing 3-0 defeat at Juventus which leaves them on the brink of being knocked out of the Champions League.

Former Liverpool boss Benitez cut short an engagement in the Middle East to fly to London for talks and he has been appointed as "interim" manager until the end of the current campaign.

A statement on the club's website said: "Chelsea Football Club can confirm Rafael Benitez has been appointed interim first-team manager until the end of the season.

"The owner and the Board believe that in Benitez we have a manager with significant experience at the highest level of football, who can come in and immediately help deliver our objectives.

"The 52-year-old Spaniard is due to meet the players at the training ground in Cobham tomorrow (Thursday).

"The two-time UEFA Manager of the Year comes with outstanding pedigree. He began his managerial career in his homeland, most notably at Valencia where he built a reputation as one of Europe's top coaches by winning the Spanish League twice and the UEFA Cup.

"He then spent six years at Liverpool and led them to their fifth European Cup and an FA Cup."

The Spaniard becomes the ninth manager under Russian owner Abramovich.

An extraordinary 24 hours started with Di Matteo axeing Fernando Torres from his starting XI in Turin.

Di Matteo was then fired on Wednesday morning, with Benitez appointed in the early evening.

And the new man will now be reunited with Torres, the striker he turned into a £50m player at Anfield.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8266315/Rafa-Benitez-has-been-appointed-as-the-new-Chelsea-boss-replacing-Roberto-di-Matteo
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 21, 2012
First to comment.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 21, 2012
Everyone knew this was going to happen. Congratulations to Benitez.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by wablet(m): 10:04pm On Nov 21, 2012
May he be the" messiah" we need now.....AMEN!!!
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by dramenda(f): 10:05pm On Nov 21, 2012
tot he was going to apoint chukwu,so disapointed

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by Ignatio(m): 10:06pm On Nov 21, 2012
I thought this man said he would never coach Chelsea. WTF does he want in the bridge now?! He won't do Chelsea good and his interest is not far from Roman's money. Another tale of a dog going back to it's vomit.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by jonzy1(m): 10:07pm On Nov 21, 2012
3rd to comment,, dancing azonto while sipping on my HERO Lager beer,, congrats to Benitez and I hope he sign Falcao so dump Torres ll sit up
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by hydoo(m): 10:07pm On Nov 21, 2012
Wow,,,congrat

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by sexysunnyb(m): 10:09pm On Nov 21, 2012
he will also be sacked before month end

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by aktolly54(m): 10:09pm On Nov 21, 2012
holamiday: First to comment.
what is your comment pls?

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by Bobbystanley(m): 10:10pm On Nov 21, 2012
Bleep abramovich...how and where in the world is benitez better dan Di matteo,a man who won an FA cup and CL trophy wit liverpool in Six years and someone who did the same wit chelsea in six months....i just wonder why dis impatient idiot is the owner of my darling club(crying)

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by k2039: 10:10pm On Nov 21, 2012
The appointment of Benitez is the beginning of doom for chelshit

[size=13pt]Chelshit is doomed[/size]

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by dabossman(m): 10:14pm On Nov 21, 2012
Benitez: Hello Fernando
Torres: Oh sh*t, not you again!

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by JLANCE(m): 10:14pm On Nov 21, 2012
This abramovich guy is a lil bit confused or is it the team members that dont get along with the coaches.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:15pm On Nov 21, 2012
I hope Benitez will bring out the best in Torres.

Fingers Crossed.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by Super1759: 10:17pm On Nov 21, 2012
I said it in the other thread that torres is the cause of all this.. Oya,lets see the magic benitez will do on him
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by fortyfeet(m): 10:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
Welcome Benitez, I hope you are the magician I've been waiting for. Give Torres OVERDOSE of volume 5, when he wakes up, he will rediscover himself or finds himself at QPR. The choice is his.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by tulk2mi: 10:23pm On Nov 21, 2012
This man took liverpool 4rm top 4 in the EPL to half of the table, used an invincible intermilan dat just won the champions league to chase religation b4 inter chase him out afta only six months. RAFA com a finish d work dat Abrahimovich started with Torres, Ben Anyoun and Meireles.

let me go and preparre my mind 4 d agonies dat will follow. angry

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 21, 2012
aktolly54: what is your comment pls?
You wear pant for face? Check the third post of the thread.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by abohrandy: 10:26pm On Nov 21, 2012
holamiday: First to comment.

oya come carry world cup!!

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by abohrandy: 10:27pm On Nov 21, 2012
jon_zy: 3rd to comment,, dancing azonto while sipping on my HERO Lager beer,, congrats to Benitez and I hope he sign Falcao so dump Torres ll sit up

tongue tongue u no sabi count abi?

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by preselect(m): 10:28pm On Nov 21, 2012
Liverpool continues to haunt Chelsea.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by abohrandy: 10:29pm On Nov 21, 2012
seems like the kind of guys advising GEJ here are the same kind of peeps advising Roman grin grin!! what more can i say? i will just sit here and watch in 3D cool cool

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by lordGrad: 10:30pm On Nov 21, 2012
Imagine Torres-Benitez combination, now I can use my Saturdays for more productive things as I don't expect anything again dis season...

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by guddy4real: 10:31pm On Nov 21, 2012
Welcome oga Benitez hope u wil help us stop this shameful tin dat's about 2 occure,1st in the history dat the defendin champion wil be push out in group stage,Abaaa God 4bide not my club.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 21, 2012
I have a hunch that this would have a very positive impact on Torres' form. . .and of course this would rub off on the entire team's performance.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by freecocoa(f): 10:32pm On Nov 21, 2012
Mstcheew.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by Greatmang5: 10:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
LATEST NEWS COMING FROM STAMFORD BRIDGE

Barely a few hours after his appointment... a statement coming out of the Chelsea's Board Room says:

: Rafa Benitez has been sacked as Chelsea manager for failing to win anything since taking over this morning.

See proof here: http:///Qb7D40

Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by guddy4real: 10:39pm On Nov 21, 2012
I think Peep Guadiola would have been the best option.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 21, 2012
abohrandy:

oya come carry world cup!!
you wey no fine.
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by freecocoa(f): 10:40pm On Nov 21, 2012
pro01: I have a hunch that this would have a very positive impact on Torres' form. . .and of course this would rub off on the entire team's performance.
So Torres can only perform on Benitez's watch? Wow what a great player he is.
Apparently the other coaches he played under after leaving Liverpool were as bad or worse than RDM.undecided
Re: Rafa Benitez Appointed As Chelsea Manager by dino2006(m): 10:40pm On Nov 21, 2012
Lez hope he delivers

Brentford Vs Chelsea (0 - 0) On 19th October 2022 / FIFA Approves Maternity Leave For Women Players / Norwich City Vs Manchester United (1 - 0) On 17th November 2012