Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,198 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan (9078 Views)

Bayelsa Election: Jonathan Battles To Save Face - Vanguard / 2015 Election: Jonathan Should Have Sacked Partisan Jega – Okupe / Zanzibar Election: Jonathan To Lead Commonwealth Observer Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by supereagle(m): 6:01am On Nov 22, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan has told an Abuja Federal High Court that he is eligible to contest the presidential election in 2015, even if it would mean staying in office for a total of more than eight years from the date he was initially inaugurated as President on May 6, 2010, following the death of President Umaru Yar’Adua.

The President made the statement through his lawyer, Mr. Ade Okeaya-Inneh, SAN, in response to a suit in which a Port Harcourt-based lawyer, Mr. Henry Amadi, asked the court to declare that Jonathan no longer qualified to run for office in 2015.

Amadi had argued that in doing so, Jonathan would be spending more than the constitutionally stipulated maximum period of eight years in office.

The plaintiff said he was a card-carrying member of the Peoples Democratic Party.

The suit is similar to another one filed by another self-declared member of the PDP, Chief Cyriacus Njoku, before an Abuja High Court.

Njoku’s suit, which asked the court to stop Jonathan from running for office in 2015 on the grounds that he was currently serving his second term in office, having taken the oath of office as President twice already, has been adjourned for judgment.

In the new suit, which came up before an Abuja FHC presided by Justice Adamu Bello, on Wednesday, Jonathan and the Independent National Electoral Commission were listed as the defendants.

The court was also asked to stop Jonathan from once again running for office when his current term expires in 2015.

However, in his counter affidavit to the plaintiff’s originating summons, Jonathan averred that he took the first oath of office on May 6, 2010, following Yar’Adua’s death.

Jonathan asked the court to dismiss the suit on the grounds that the plaintiff had no locus standi to ask the court to stop him from running for office in 2015.

He described the plaintiff’s claims as “hypothetical and academic”, noting that he failed to disclose reasonable cause of action.

The matter was adjourned to January 23, 2013.

Okeaya-Inneh said, “The question that arises for determination is whether, having regard to the facts of this case, he (Jonathan) is in his first or second term.

“In other words, given that the Constitution prescribes a maximum of two terms of four years each totaling a maximum of eight years as President, is he eligible to run for re-election in 2015?

“In resolving this issue, the court is invited to make a determination whether the period of May 6, 2010 to May 28, 2011 wherein Jonathan occupied the office of the President, can in law be regarded as one term of office and relevance of the oath of office Jonathan took on May 6, 2010 in computing the tenure of office of Jonathan in line with sections 135 (1) and (2), 137 (1)(b), 140 (1) and (2) and 146(1) of the 1999 Constitution.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/why-i-can-contest-2015-election-jonathan/
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 6:08am On Nov 22, 2012
president do nothing ,still dreaming,you better forget it.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by smartg(m): 6:22am On Nov 22, 2012
All these our president self, i watched an interview last year where G.E.J personally promised that he will never contest again comes 2015, so what is he trying to tell us now. Anyway, thank God he declared his interest by himself unlike O.B.J and fashola who pretended as if they were forced by the people to contest for 2nd term.

1 Like

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by kpozite(m): 6:28am On Nov 22, 2012
RESERVED SPACED
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by k2039: 6:56am On Nov 22, 2012
Mr president,eligibility is not enough to keep you in Aso Rock after 2015,this is democracy and what that means is that it's only our vote that can keep you in office,so focus on giving Nigerians what they want,MAYBE you may just stay till 2015,but frankly you have not earned my vote yet(Undecided voter)

6 Likes

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by truth4meal(m): 7:00am On Nov 22, 2012
GEJ has every right under the law to contest just like every Nigerian under the law of coordinated and rightful thinking has every right not to vote for him. 2015 means a lot to GEJ and Nigeria - it will show our sincerity to better governance, it will how we reward underperformance, it will show that GEJ is a "messi", it will show the strength of PDP and the opposition, it will show if Nigerians will endure another failed four years, it will show if as Nigerians we want corruption to boldly say "I don't give a damn", it will show if GEJ can win shoeless and shoeful - it will show how comatose is our resolve for change. 2015 means a lot to Nigerians who seek a positive change.

15 Likes

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 22, 2012
smartg :
All these our president self, i watched an interview last year where G.E.J personally promised that he will never contest again comes 2015, so what is he trying to tell us now. Anyway, thank God he declared his interest by himself unlike O.B.J and fashola who pretended as if they were forced by the people to contest for 2nd term.
I had to read your comment like 8 times and still didn't understand your gist.* rinses face with water* .the gbagauns no help matter sef!

If the president wants to contest in 2015,good for him. I wish him Goodluck!
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Super1759: 7:50am On Nov 22, 2012
berem: I had to read your comment like 8 times and still didn't understand your gist.* rinses face with water* .the gbagauns no help matter sef!

gringringringringrin berem!!!
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by gen2briz(m): 9:08am On Nov 22, 2012
Noted.... next tori
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 22, 2012
Dreams of a confused presid0
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by jigawatts(m): 9:12am On Nov 22, 2012
I COMMENT my RESERVE .... lipsrsealed
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Kpakam(m): 9:13am On Nov 22, 2012
Whether The Courts asked him 2 Contest Or Not,he Won't earn My vote a second Time,he should start Thinkin of where 2 invest his stolen Money by the time he leaves Office

3 Likes

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by redcliff: 9:13am On Nov 22, 2012
[size=20pt]who sed you shuldnt contest? we are wiser, we (I) wont vote for you[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by princemaicheal: 9:14am On Nov 22, 2012
What will bring him back as president is not the court declaration or verdict.The populace are increasingly becoming informed and this time around,political party do not win elections but individuals.The sooner he starts to deliver the better.
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 22, 2012
He wouldn't win except he rigs.
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by slap1(m): 9:17am On Nov 22, 2012
Power is like nicotine. Did he not say he won't contest again? What's the fuss about?
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Gorrbachev: 9:19am On Nov 22, 2012
And who will vote for you?
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by freebloke: 9:24am On Nov 22, 2012
truth4meal: GEJ has every right under the law to contest just like every Nigerian under the law of coordinated and rightful thinking has every right not to vote for him. 2015 means a lot to GEJ and Nigeria - it will show our sincerity to better governance, it will how we reward underperformance, it will show that GEJ is a "messi", it will show the strength of PDP and the opposition, it will show if Nigerians will endure another failed four years, it will show if as Nigerians we want corruption to boldly say "I don't give a damn", it will show if GEJ can win shoeless and shoeful - it will show how comatose is our resolve for change. 2015 means a lot to Nigerians who seek a positive change.
ur head correct die...

2 Likes

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by chakula: 9:24am On Nov 22, 2012
....... And Nobody can stop you Sir, I will be with all the way 2015 and beyond.

1 Like

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 22, 2012
talking about rigging i learnt that the 2011 presidential election was rigged. and jona tld us dat he conducted a free n fair election. now i knw why buhari was mad with the inec result.
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Ukeme453: 9:26am On Nov 22, 2012
They is hardship in the country, unemployment, bombing, insecurity and every other problem persisting. Where are we going? Nigerian, are we proud to called Nigeria, our country? We should be discussing development, not 2015 election. O Lord, Help our only country, Nigeria. Touch our leaders heart, change their thought for good, amen.

1 Like

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by chakula: 9:28am On Nov 22, 2012
berem: I had to read your comment like 8 times and still didn't understand your gist.* rinses face with water* .the gbagauns no help matter sef!

Take it easy berem, do you have chip on your shoulder against him?
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by maclatunji: 9:29am On Nov 22, 2012
You people don't get it! GEJ is using proxies to clear legal landmines towards his 2015 ambition. These court cases are meant to ensure that no opponent takes him to court in 2014/15 when he declares his intention to run because the issues would already have been adjudicated upon. The man is obsessed with staying in power; even if he gets a 2nd term, he will still want a 3rd term- whether he performs or not is immaterial to he and his cronies.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by redcliff: 9:29am On Nov 22, 2012
Ukeme453: They is hardship in the country, unemployment, bombing, insecurity and every other problem persisting. Where are we going? Nigerian, are we proud to called Nigeria, our country? We should be discussing development, not 2015 election. O Lord, Help our only country, Nigeria. Touch our leaders heart, change their thought for good, amen.

you alright bruv? undecided
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by cyril83(m): 9:30am On Nov 22, 2012
If you like cut marshal yoursef there, na stil same 6feets matress me and you go sleep @ d end
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by sammyyoung2(m): 9:31am On Nov 22, 2012
for sale!!!
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Aderostock(m): 9:31am On Nov 22, 2012
Gorrbachev: And who will vote for you?
His kinsmen, Ijaw will vote for him only. Useless president!
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by Amazondepth(m): 9:33am On Nov 22, 2012
In d absence of viable opposition with widespread acceptance and political structure cutting across d whole country,u may as well admit come 2015 all this cyber war will change nothing and GEJ will b elected four more years.By d way dis guy has been in office barely 18 months and u all want him to correct d mess that has been created by decades of misrule,inept leadership and blind followership abi.under d existing laws he has d right to contest and may as well win.for now we shld identify with d positives of this govt give our own support for dis country to grow.
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by aglomar: 9:35am On Nov 22, 2012
U have lost before d electn!
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by drnoel: 9:36am On Nov 22, 2012
Why bother ur heads. Who said we didn't know that he was going to contest or we didn't know that he was eligible to contest. Break ur head till tomorrow, he will contest and he will win or have u not seen cases in Nigeria where someone doesn't contest an election but still wins, so why bother...
Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by armadeo(m): 9:38am On Nov 22, 2012
I don't give a damn cos I won't vote for u.

1 Like

Re: Why I Can Contest 2015 Election – Jonathan by cyril83(m): 9:41am On Nov 22, 2012

see pot calling kettle black...what's d meaning of "STILL DIDN'T"

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

We Support The Breakaway Of Biafra But We Will Never Be Part Of Biafra. / Ganduje: I Will Be Active In Politics Beyond 2023 / Explosion In Kaduna. 15 Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.