Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,814 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel (9067 Views)

Mighty Snake Taminated In Students Hostel (photo) / Disaster In University Of Uyo As Fire Guts Girls Hostel [see Photo] / UNILAG Medical Student Drowns At Elegushi Beach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by olosokaokab: 12:55pm On Nov 22, 2012
BUT for Providence and timely intervention of the students, Block C of Alliakilu Hostel, located at College of Medicine, University of Lagos, would have been totally razed by fire that began in the hostel in the early hours of yesterday.

According to one of the students, it took over an hour to put out the fire, which wassaid to have been ignited by an electrical fault.

Men of the fire service later arrived to quench the fire, which started at 10.00a.m.from Room 648 of the Male Hostel and later spread to Room 647 of the same hotel, located at the third floor.

When The Guardian visited the two rooms, everything belonging to students were burnt.

An affected student, who spoke on the condition of anonymity said all he had, including N25,000 given to him by his parents for the new session, had gone in the fire.

He blamed the school authorities, which he alleged refused to rectify an electrical fault in the hostel, adding that several complaints on the matter to the college management had not yielded any ositive result.

He said the college’s instruction, which banned students from bringing external electrician to hostels, had not helped matters.

The medical student, who looked dejected, urged the college authorities to intervene in students’ faulty electrical complaints as other hostels in the college were facing similar problems.

Mr. Daniel Timson, another student, told The Guardian that unavailability of water on the affected floors almost frustrated their rescue efforts as students had to run to the ground floor several times to get water to quench the fire.

The fire burnt ceilings, medical books, laptops, ipads, mobile phones, and blackberries, thousand of nairas, fans, beds, foams, and clothes, cooking utensils among others belonging to the students.

A top official of the school told The Guardian that some students used the opportunity to loot property, including laptops and phones.

Some of the affected students were seen squating with their colleagues when The Guardian visited, just as some parents who heard trooped in to see their wards.

The College of Medicine’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mr. Sunday Odejimi, who confirmed that the fire started at 10.00 a.m. while most of the students were out for lectures, said the school authorities would look into the cause of the fire with an intention to prevent a reoccurrence.

Odejimi blamed the students for “taking liberty for granted” and for not reporting the dangerous electrical fault to the appropriate authorities, including the Students’ Union Government (SUG), who would have reported to the school management to correct the faulty electrical part in the hostel.

The spokesman said the school would relocate the affected students until repairs were done in the affected rooms.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105455:at-unilag-fire-guts-medical-students-hostel-&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558
http://universitiesofnigeria.com/fire-guts-medical-students-hostel-at-unilag/
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by MadCow1: 4:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by adventisty: 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2012
Huh!
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by greall1: 4:25pm On Nov 22, 2012
It only affected 2 rooms.
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Abujafood: 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
Not UNILAG, MAULAG

But kudos to them for putting it out else it could have been worse had they waited for fire service to arrive!
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by sylve11: 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
Na wa o cool
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by uczay(m): 4:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
Can U imagine the school authority blaming the students and the sug.. I thought the affected students said the matter has been reported to the appropriate quarter of the school times without number yet nothing was done.

NOW WHO IS TO BLAME
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Heeyhun(f): 4:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
Awww...i feel sorry for the affected students but all the same, thank God no live was lost.
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by drlaykay(m): 4:30pm On Nov 22, 2012
@OP:block 6 not block C
Happy birthday to me.

4 Likes

Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Jaideyone(m): 4:31pm On Nov 22, 2012
this yeye journalists sef. it was block six. there's nothing like block c
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Zi: 4:32pm On Nov 22, 2012
[b][/b]The College of Medicine’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mr. Sunday Odejimi, who confirmed ... said the school authorities would look into the cause of the fire with an intention to prevent a reoccurrence.

grin grin
Nigerians are fast learning from "the boss"! angry

1 Like

Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Ominiriches(m): 4:34pm On Nov 22, 2012
Very pathetic. I hope the school management is aware of this issue. It happen at Unical some year back.
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Irugboo(m): 4:39pm On Nov 22, 2012
Nawa oo
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by xrazzy(m): 4:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
Those MAULAG medical students must have been performing series of surgery on the junction box as a prequisite for transplanting oulets for heater and electrical cooker into the wiring system of the hostel
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by kelmich(m): 4:52pm On Nov 22, 2012
thank God the fire did not claim any life
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by mekaboy(m): 4:54pm On Nov 22, 2012
THAT STUDENT DON USE STYLE CHOP THE 25K GIVEN TO HIM BY HIS PARENTS, CLAIM IT GOT BURNT IN THE FIRE, GUY MAN grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Ariyke: 4:59pm On Nov 22, 2012
Thank God no live was lost
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by valencia25(m): 5:01pm On Nov 22, 2012
tank God no life was lost.....
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by sigba(f): 5:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
Students balme school authority, school authority blame students. Na wa o!!
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by nlofficial(m): 5:16pm On Nov 22, 2012
The issue with the block that got burnt was mere mistake. 'C' does sound like 'six'
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Pakavy(m): 5:22pm On Nov 22, 2012
x-razzy:
Those MAULAG medical students must have been performing series of surgery on the junction box as a prequisite for transplanting oulets for heater and electrical cooker into the wiring system of the hostel
not funny
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Ogb21(m): 5:38pm On Nov 22, 2012
Skul authorities are always fond of this,they will never listen 2 students complaints untill somthing terible happens then they will start claiming what i don't knw....mtscheeeeew!!
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Redmosquito(m): 6:02pm On Nov 22, 2012
Luth is only fifteen minutes away from UNILAG, the mother school
But they are both highly disconnected cry
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by fairygeh(f): 6:07pm On Nov 22, 2012
Redmosquito: Luth is only fifteen minutes away from UNILAG, the mother school
But they are both highly disconnected cry
Taaaaa sharrap dia tongue mosquito we are missing ya wahala for forum games section o.
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by tomisinuno(m): 6:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
Mushroom, oh sorry, i mean mushood abiola universty.
grin
Tank God dere was no lost of lives
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Redmosquito(m): 6:10pm On Nov 22, 2012
fairygeh: Taaaaa sharrap dia tongue mosquito we are missing ya wahala for forum games section o.
Feraz come see ooo! Na she dey toast me now oooo!
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by fairygeh(f): 6:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
Redmosquito:
Feraz come see ooo! Na she dey toast me now oooo!
mshewwwww.i no see u self,BTW feraz is here with me so he's seeing it all. tongue
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Emmy9ite(m): 6:20pm On Nov 22, 2012
Everyone is quick to blame the other. Thank God no one died.

This post was brought to you by heineken.
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Redmosquito(m): 6:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
fairygeh: mshewwwww.i no see u self,BTW feraz is here with me so he's seeing it all. tongue
I dont mean to derail oooo! Moderators forgive me
I am not into thr££some una hear angry
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by fairygeh(f): 6:32pm On Nov 22, 2012
Moderators so sorry for derailing o.-i am outa here
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by pastormustwacc: 7:05pm On Nov 22, 2012
Medical students looting each other? Really! is this the legacy we are leaving for our younger colleagues?
Anyway, their hostels are too faulty to start with, all them hostels should be bombed and rebuilt, it is too sad for future medical doctors to be living in such conditions.
Re: Fire Guts UNILAG Medical Students’ Hostel by Redmosquito(m): 7:08pm On Nov 22, 2012
pastormustwacc: Medical students looting each other? Really! is this the legacy we are leaving for our younger colleagues?
Anyway, their hostels are too faulty to start with, all them hostels should be bombed and rebuilt, it is too sad for future medical doctors to be living in such conditions.
Where you see looting for there now? angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

IMSU VC Okays Relocation Of Imo State University / Do You Regret Studied/studying Medicine??? / JAMB: 2016/2017 Jamb Cut Off Mark To Be Reduce To 170.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.