Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,988 members, 7,799,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

When Your Boss Is Younger Than You - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / When Your Boss Is Younger Than You (11618 Views)

7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER / When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? / Clear Signs To Know Your Boss Is About To Fire You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by saintgwizard(m): 8:26pm On Nov 22, 2012
)
naiko: i had a similar experience some years back,where i supervised 31 people in a team.i was brought in mid way into a project.you need to see the attitudes but with God i was able to complete the project with them.one of my tactics then was to accord them maximum respect,when i have to take decisions base on the job i give them the opportunity to make suggestions why i remind them that every decisions from 'them' will be final,i ran an open regime while gave the chance to work with less supervision.

Love your style! Querries are not the way out, you would runout of them someday.
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by holusormi(m): 8:31pm On Nov 22, 2012
Joan Johnson: I won't even take the job @ d first place cuz he/she might get me upset and dat aspect of the age will come into my mind, and i might end up getting fired.
ODE!!!..hungry never catch u (ebi o ti pa e )
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by chykeo1(m): 8:35pm On Nov 22, 2012
Kslib:
yes oh my bros.. It hapen well well....

grin grin...lmao...
Guy na you get this thread biko: See how u dey use your ENGLISH GUN dey cancel awon boyyzzzz

1 Like

Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by RudySmith(m): 8:53pm On Nov 22, 2012
Joan Johnson: I won't even take the job @ d first place cuz he/she might get me upset and dat aspect of the age will come into my mind, and i might end up getting fired.

u remind me of a beggar who didn't like the change I gave him. how dare he? people with ur mindset rarely make it anywhere in life bcuz u want it all without working 4 it.
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by victorian(f): 9:01pm On Nov 22, 2012
90% of my workers are older than me..Although, it was very tough when handling workers older than me initially,cause i use to be very flexible, until my understandable gestures was abused.. So, in the recent past, it has become purely official from day one till the end. Also a code of conduct is initially signed by each worker and gurantors before employing. Then once in a while , if anyone is ill, i tend to be caring then give the day off.. Am always principled and respectful in handling them.. I always remind them, if you respect me, i respect you..if not your fired! grin
I love my job....yeahhhh cheesy
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by vislabraye(m): 9:14pm On Nov 22, 2012
I've thought about it before. https://www.nairaland.com/1064070/how-relate-younger-boss
Humility is very important and professionalism. Although some people are more opportuned than others, that's life.
Take Paddy Adenuga for instance who slaps his managers. I mean that's another thing else.
GEJ is younger than some of the people he fires. That's the way it works some times. I can accept it but there are some extremes.
I heard of a very young banker who was not yet 30 but was almost a manager. There was a lady she insulted who was 10 years older than her by saying, "look at your life. That's why you're not yet married."
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by toygod2: 9:25pm On Nov 22, 2012
its somehow
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by victorian(f): 10:03pm On Nov 22, 2012
vislabraye: I've thought about it before. https://www.nairaland.com/1064070/how-relate-younger-boss
Humility is very important and professionalism. Although some people are more opportuned than others, that's life.
Take Paddy Adenuga for instance who slaps his managers. I mean that's another thing else.
GEJ is younger than some of the people he fires. That's the way it works some times. I can accept it but there are some extremes.
I heard of a very young banker who was not yet 30 but was almost a manager. There was a lady she insulted who was 10 years older than her by saying, "look at your life. That's why you're not yet married."

Haba, thats too much ?... i wont accept such treatments... and their is a married lady boss, next to my office, that is exactly like those ones u av mentioned.. She has actually employed and sack numerous workers within 1yr.. Some will cry while leaving, while some will exchange hot words with her b4 they quit...just too bad.
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by Ticklishmummy(f): 11:13pm On Nov 22, 2012
obi123: oyinbo people are funny , i used to work at a gambling place during my uni years , so mgt brought in one 20yr old boy to be our oga, we were very pissed as some us had worked for years and knew a lot more than he would know, they said he was outspoken, this and that and of course he was British, they were so convinced that he was what the store needed.
so on one faithful day we resumed work ah ah where is oga to open the store ? no show, they called his number, nothing, can you believe that the area mgr now decided to go to his house and the boy was dozing according to his mum, he went out the night b4, he didn't even show face , he sent his mum to give the area mgr the key to the store, of course he never came back .
Well they offered me the position , i accepted it nicely and scrammed 2mths later , me wey don dey find another job tey tey

Ladbrokes,paddypower,betfair,corals or william hill?My bet is on paddypower though smiley
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by Ticklishmummy(f): 11:33pm On Nov 22, 2012
Please permit me to say that this is a mentality alien to the western world.This age thing is so strong it transcends beyond the workplace and its not uncommon to have ladies pick petty fights over who is older.I don't know what obtains in naija in terms of employee relations and engagement but I can tell you what obtains where I am.There is something called discrimination on the basis of age is a BIG NO in the workplace.Call it what you like but no one wants to know who is older,what's important is to get the job done.Now if anyone chooses to disclose their age to you and you are stupid enough to treat that person their age cos you think you are older,best be ready to accept whatever comes to you if any of your acts or utterances is termed unnaceptable by the younger party.

Unfortunately age never translates to money anywhere,wisdom? Yes,for a few!

2 Likes

Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by MrCork17: 11:41pm On Nov 22, 2012
Boss younger that me?? ... I SLAP HIS FACE!!!angry
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by bolayei: 2:38am On Nov 23, 2012
jeddyMay: my boss is a typical example, though he is in his late 20s(same age bracket). it pisses me off whenever his Ego takes over him(which is always in charge) and he does not know JACK abt the "work". i ve to add som of his duties to mine. undecided
then dont you think you cant be right if he doesnt know the job but he is your bosss, now this kinda solve one of the mysteries of unemployment in nigeria
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by bolayei: 2:42am On Nov 23, 2012
[quote author=Ticklishmummy]Please permit me to say that this is a mentality alien to the western world.This age thing is so strong it transcends beyond the workplace and its not uncommon to have ladies pick petty fights over who is older.I don't know what obtains in naija in terms of employee relations and engagement but I can tell you what obtains where I am.There is something called discrimination on the basis of age is a BIG NO in the workplace.Call it what you like but no one wants to know who is older,what's important is to get the job done.Now if anyone chooses to disclose their age to you and you are stupid enough to treat that person their age cos you think you are older,best be ready to accept whatever comes to you if any of your acts or utterances is termed unnaceptable by the younger party.

Unfortunately age never translates to money anywhere,wisdom? Yes,for a few![/quo
correct.....
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by emmaebi: 3:40am On Nov 23, 2012
Ellashow: Would you be comfortable working for someone who was young enough to be your brother or sister?.... And as such bossing you around to show he or she is the Boss
Your take on this pls...
it does not realy matter as it is nt age dat is being use 2 do d work. If age realy matter 2 any one and nt ability then d person shud rememba dat nobody forced him 2 join d company, d door of d company is always open and he shud learn how 2 use it undecided
Ellashow: Would you be comfortable working for someone who was young enough to be your brother or sister?.... And as such bossing you around to show he or she is the Boss
Your take on this pls...
it does not realy matter as it is nt age dat is being use 2 do d work. If age realy matter 2 any one and nt ability then d person shud rememba dat nobody forced him 2 join d company, d door of d company is always open and he shud learn how 2 use it
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by eugyno: 5:16am On Nov 23, 2012
must you work for salary....sell your expensive blackberry and use the money to start your own biz and grow the business
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by ziondaughter: 6:25am On Nov 23, 2012
I dont c anytin wrong der. Its his/her tym. If e vex u too much go get ur own establishment. Naija men most of una too get ego n una nor know anytin
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by azpeculiar: 7:16am On Nov 23, 2012
...I get on with the fvcking job! sad
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by Poeticme: 8:04am On Nov 23, 2012
I can tell you dont work from your comment. you never see anyfn. most of the peeps i work with are Older than me and im the Boss, as long as it entails getting the Job done, i talk and delegate duties as i deem fit. You dont like it?? RESIGN its that simple.

I also have superiors and i would definitely not tell them that because my subordinates are older than me,they have refused to Obey orders so therefore we have failed on a given project that just stinks of Incompetence and stupidity. since i do not wanna look stupid to my superiors, i grab the bull by the horn. DOnt Like it RESIGN
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by salafiyy: 8:32am On Nov 23, 2012
You all gotten what you want why the noise...
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by Cecero(m): 8:45am On Nov 23, 2012
In a corporate world, it's not about age; it's about hierarchy. U must differentiate between ur office and ur local kindred meeting; that's where gerontocracy may count.
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by dabossman(m): 9:08am On Nov 23, 2012
For all those saying they can't work for someone younger than them, please when you do start your own business or own your own home, make sure every member of your staff is younger than you. That includes your driver, gateman and so on.

Oh, and if you are offered a promotion at your current job and it means you may have to supervise people older than you, please decline the position and let those who are older take your place; even if you are more qualified or have longer years of service in that establishment. After all, if you can't work under someone younger than you, why shoulder older people work under you?
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by drnoel: 9:22am On Nov 23, 2012
Funny but its only in Nigeria that something like this will become an issue. Have had older people work under me and showed me the same respect I showed them. Respect is reciprocal, that's what I told them before we started working together. After that, we drink coffee, and smoke together during breaks so working together was a ball..
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by XtremeBase(f): 11:40am On Nov 23, 2012
DANILSA: I HAD THAT CHALLENGE BUT MINE WAS OPPOSITE, I WAS THE SUPERVISOR WORKING WITH OLD MEN AND WOMEN, THEY WILL ALWAYS LOOK AT YOU TWICE BEFORE ACTION,THEIR FACE WILL ALWAYS SHOW LIKE "SEE THIS SMALL BOY DE TALK ANYHOW BECAUSE IM MANAGE BE MY OGA"

Danilsa i also had a similar case like yours when i was still working. I was also a project supervisor and all the workers and even my colleagues had to report to me, i was their boss and they always showed contempt, but i stood for no nonsense. Now i face the same thing in my business, i am an entrepreneur and my workers are over 20 years and more older than me and they give silly attitude, even with the respect i accord them. I dont stand for their nonsense. If the table were turned i would not hesistate to do my job, there is a reason why that younger person was made your boss.
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by tnktosin(m): 1:38pm On Nov 23, 2012
Some Nigerians with their silly "I'm older than you" mentality can be very annoying. Why not relocate to another country cos you're older Dan d president?
The choice here is simple, swallow ur pride and face ur job or take a walk. Shikena.
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by atasteve: 1:48pm On Nov 23, 2012
I don't see anything uncomfortable about it. As-a-matter-of-fact you should even work hard to make sure that the young boss does not have any reason to insult or push you around.

My present boss is younger than me. In the corporate/business world it's ultimately about cash flow and not any other thing.
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by blackborn7(m): 7:04pm On Nov 23, 2012
obadiah777: definitely would not work for a black boss who was younger then me. tufia

say the truth...what if your take home pay was N140,000
Re: When Your Boss Is Younger Than You by Rajosh(m): 7:57pm On Nov 23, 2012
[quote author=obadiah777]definitely would not work for a black boss who was younger then me. tufia[/quote/]if a white mans says this,you'll say it's racism.gosh you need to get your head examined

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Employers Are Just Harsh / Job Vacancies Nationwide from 2016 / Academic Vacancies At Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture (179 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.