Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants (508194 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Lilimax(f): 9:27am On Jul 02, 2016
spafu:
When some Nairaland mods are high on banana leaves, they move a 2012 post to FP.
Does the year matter? Provided the thread is educative smiley

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by professore(m): 9:27am On Jul 02, 2016
This is a nice thread
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by samhay: 9:37am On Jul 02, 2016
Pomanganate is wat in Yoruba and Yerepe/Werepe is what in English
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by olayinkajnr(m): 9:38am On Jul 02, 2016
Damn, this thread is just making fp since 2012!!! Its highly educative yet the mods left it to lurk in the *backyard* since its not snake and yeye celebrity topic. Some mods needs to be sacked.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Gidi3020(m): 9:49am On Jul 02, 2016
Thread not complete, what of w*ed leaf, better k*sh, ibo leaf? grin
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Nibeo: 10:04am On Jul 02, 2016
PapiWata:
Miracle Fruit or Miracle Berry, is know in Yoruba as "Agbayun-kun". It is native to west Africa but is exploited commercially mostly in The Americas and the Far East, with seed stock or cuttings obtained originally from Africa, then selectively bred over decades for desirable traits.

The "miracle" of this fruit is that it contains unique compounds that "deceive" our taste buds to perceive virtually ALL foods as tasting VERY sweet, for up to 30 minutes after a Miracle Fruit has been eaten. These fruits have enormous potential for use by people who are under medical advice to reduce or remove sugar from their diets. Simply eating a miracle fruit just before a meal imparts the illusion of sweet taste to our taste buds, even when NO sugar is added to breakfast cereals, beverages, and indeed any dish or drink to which sugar is generally added for taste.

I remember we were given this one day growing up. We had a swell time experimenting wit it, we licked it then soaked garri and drank and we almost killed ourselves taking the garri plain with water cos it was sooooo sweet. Someone said it could be found at Abeokuta, I will sure go look for it.
Thank you for sharing

http://miraclefruitfarm.com/

http://www.miraclefruit.ca/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

Note that this picture is magnified. The true size of the miracle fruit is about the size of your smallest finger-tip. This tree is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to germinate and grow from seed, and only slightly less challenging to propagate with cuttings. Who ever in Nigeria first unlocks the key to mass planting miracle fruit shrubs for the export market will without question retire rich at a young age.
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Temidirecrown(m): 10:21am On Jul 02, 2016
Alima2:
what is yoruab name 4 chickweed
Chickweed is ewedu in yoruba
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Waspy(m): 10:43am On Jul 02, 2016
iamclime:
The AGBAYUN "Miracle fruit" is found in the rural areas on the outskirts of Abeokuta. It is seasonal, I believe
Can you please help with the towns where I can get the fruit /seed
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Waspy(m): 10:49am On Jul 02, 2016
choiceagric26:

It is true that it is not easy to propagate but am able to propagate 200 stand in my personal research, the compound that do the miracle is miraculin, it take long time though but it is possible as i can do it and have do it,some of my neighbors share it among themself as i dont have where to plant it them,it take like three years befote it start fruiting,
Ut is even simler tgam bitter cola,before my bitter cola germinate despite all the necessary treatment, it spent over 3 month( i loose count lol),
Pls, I need your help with getting the seeds or stems. I wish to grow the fruit pls
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by beejaay: 11:28am On Jul 02, 2016
emoch:
I have been researching the health benefits of various plants and herbs and most times I hit a wall because even as most of these plants are available in Nigeria, we don't know their names in our local parlance. For instance I never knew the wonderful Neem tree is our popular Dongoyaro tree. This thread is for people to contribute their ideas on various plants in our local parlance.

Below are some ideas personally know
Basil plant is known as Nchanwu(hope I spelt that right)in Igbo and Effirin in Yoruba
Henna plant is the famous Lali used mostly by northernmost for body art
Hibiscus plant is what we call here as Zobo
tamarind is called tsamia here
Tumeric is ata Ile pupa in Yoruba
Cayenne is Bawa
Chilli is Shombo in Yoruba
Black pepper is iyere in Yoruba, Oziza in igbo
Thorny pigweed/prickly amaranth is tete eleegun in yoruba

Pls post yours. Note that the plant must be indigenous to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by kentochi(m): 12:33pm On Jul 02, 2016
emoch:
I have been researching the health benefits of various plants and herbs and most times I hit a wall because even as most of these plants are available in Nigeria, we don't know their names in our local parlance. For instance I never knew the wonderful Neem tree is our popular Dongoyaro tree. This thread is for people to contribute their ideas on various plants in our local parlance.

Below are some ideas personally know
Basil plant is known as Nchanwu(hope I spelt that right)in Igbo and Effirin in Yoruba
Henna plant is the famous Lali used mostly by northernmost for body art
Hibiscus plant is what we call here as Zobo
tamarind is called tsamia here
Tumeric is ata Ile pupa in Yoruba
Cayenne is Bawa
Chilli is Shombo in Yoruba
Black pepper is iyere in Yoruba, Oziza in igbo
Thorny pigweed/prickly amaranth is tete eleegun in yoruba

Pls post yours. Note that the plant must be indigenous to Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by mayor007(m): 3:49pm On Jul 02, 2016
choiceagric26:

It is true that it is not easy to propagate but am able to propagate 200 stand in my personal research, the compound that do the miracle is miraculin, it take long time though but it is possible as i can do it and have do it,some of my neighbors share it among themself as i dont have where to plant it them,it take like three years befote it start fruiting,
Ut is even simler tgam bitter cola,before my bitter cola germinate despite all the necessary treatment, it spent over 3 month( i loose count lol),

Brother. Can you kindly help me on your research and how you got a breakthrough with the miracle fruit?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by jeff1607(m): 5:53pm On Jul 02, 2016
what about the plant called HOSPITAL TOO FAR, seeing different names for it

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by MrGSO(m): 6:02pm On Jul 02, 2016
PapiWata:
This plant is only known to me by its Yoruba name, which is ASUWON-OYINBO, and by its name in the Efik language of Nigeria's Cross River State, where it is known as ARUWANA-SI. I would be grateful if anyone who is familiar with its botanical name could be so kind as to mention it here.

This plant's leaves have very strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, such that skin afflictions like ringworm and various rashes can be cured quickly by obtaining the juice of the ground-up and crushed fresh leaves, and applying it directly to the skin for a truly fast-acting remedy.

Equally significant is the fact that the leaves of this plant, when boiled in water to make a tea, are highly effective as a mild laxative which carries none of the unpleasant side-effects of pharmaceutical laxatives. For the elderly who may suffer from slow digestion leading to constipation, drinking a tea made with just 2 leaves from this unique plant will, in the space of about 3 hours, enable the patient to void their bowels and thereby see all associated discomfort vanish. It is recommended that this tea be used NO MORE THAN once every 3 months, so as to preserve the microbial balance in the intestine.

This plant can be found in forests and also along the edge of swamps and rivers in much of West Africa. It is not cultivated on a commercial scale, to the best of my knowledge, but, it holds ENORMOUS potential as an ingredient for improved pharmaceutical remedies.
I think it's Senna alata
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Zone: 5:04pm On Jul 03, 2016
Does anyone know the name of this plant. Does it have any form of value before I get rid of it. Thanks for your help.

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Nobody: 4:52am On Jul 04, 2016
Zone:
Does anyone know the name of this plant. Does it have any form of value before I get rid of it. Thanks for your help.

Yoruba name : Ewe Oruwo, used for typhoid @ peak or malaria.
Preparation : blend with....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by iamprotocol(m): 6:43am On Jul 04, 2016
lonelydora:
What's the English name for 'Ukazi' leaf used in cooking 'Afang' soup?
its called WILD SPINACH OR AFRICAN JOINTFIR

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by iamclime(m): 8:34pm On Jul 14, 2016
Waspy:
Can you please help with the towns where I can get the fruit /seed
Check the villages close to Odo Ijesa, Obafemi, and environs along Ajebo Road in Obafemi-Owode Local Government, Ogun State.
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by endove(f): 8:42pm On Jul 27, 2016
Very educating.. Tnx OP
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by enigstil(m): 7:24pm On Jul 28, 2016
Thats Morinda lucida, Oruwo in Yoruba, very good for general detoxification. Please dont o
Rollindollars:

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Lorenorganic(f): 10:03am On Aug 11, 2016
I am looking for fresh vegetables like pepermint leaves lemongrass,lavender cinnamon sticks.ceylon cinnamon I want am looking for these items can anyone help me out.Contact me on bbm 7AF93481.
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Emempaul(m): 9:36am On Aug 12, 2016
Zone:

is dat not atama leave in akwa ibom. It is used to cook a delicious soup mixed we banga
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by soladara: 2:03pm On Aug 31, 2016
This thread is very informative and educative pls can anyone tell me d Yoruba name for Watercress leave and sorrel leaves(spinach dock). Thanks
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Onegai(f): 10:56pm On Aug 31, 2016
Lorenorganic:
I am looking for fresh vegetables like pepermint leaves lemongrass,lavender cinnamon sticks.ceylon cinnamon I want am looking for these items can anyone help me out.Contact me on bbm 7AF93481.

My mum had 2 big lemongrass plants in front of our home in Lagos. There's a guy I met who sells Spinach, watercress and other fresh veggies in Ilupeju but he can deliver everywhere.
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 05, 2016
What is the native name for cinnamon and cardamon pods.
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by ibramus(m): 10:15pm On Sep 08, 2016
pls cinnamon name in Igala Language From kogi state

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Zenlife: 3:54pm On Sep 11, 2016
PapiWata:
This plant is only known to me by its Yoruba name, which is ASUWON-OYINBO, and by its name in the Efik language of Nigeria's Cross River State, where it is known as ARUWANA-SI. I would be grateful if anyone who is familiar with its botanical name could be so kind as to mention it here.

This plant's leaves have very strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, such that skin afflictions like ringworm and various rashes can be cured quickly by obtaining the juice of the ground-up and crushed fresh leaves, and applying it directly to the skin for a truly fast-acting remedy.

Equally significant is the fact that the leaves of this plant, when boiled in water to make a tea, are highly effective as a mild laxative which carries none of the unpleasant side-effects of pharmaceutical laxatives. For the elderly who may suffer from slow digestion leading to constipation, drinking a tea made with just 2 leaves from this unique plant will, in the space of about 3 hours, enable the patient to void their bowels and thereby see all associated discomfort vanish. It is recommended that this tea be used NO MORE THAN once every 3 months, so as to preserve the microbial balance in the intestine.

This plant can be found in forests and also along the edge of swamps and rivers in much of West Africa. It is not cultivated on a commercial scale, to the best of my knowledge, but, it holds ENORMOUS potential as an ingredient for improved pharmaceutical remedies.

Specie Name- Senna Alata
Family Name: Leguminosae (Caesalpiniaceae)
Local Name- Asunwon-oyinbo Okpo (igbo)
Common Name: Candle bush, Candlestick, Crawcraw, Senna.
Medicinal uses: skin disease, dysentery, abortifacent,
Anthelmintic, itch, ringworm, measles, eczema, bronchitis, black menstruation, venereal diseases, stomach ache.
Parts used: leaves, seeds, stem-bark.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by OGAOGA(m): 7:32am On Sep 22, 2016
Keep the thread rolling
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 25, 2016
Please is dandelion the same as wild lettuce?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by OGAOGA(m): 10:06pm On Sep 25, 2016
Rollindollars:

With what?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by liliesofdvalley: 4:12pm On Sep 26, 2016
Pls where can I buy turmeric powder

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.