Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants (508024 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by LarrySmiles01: 11:03am On Feb 02, 2017
Thebeadslady:
who knows what rosemary plant is called in Yoruba and picture please? thanks

Not sure it has a yoruba name.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by donsteto(m): 11:26pm On Feb 04, 2017
PapiWata:
Miracle Fruit or Miracle Berry, is know in Yoruba as "Agbayun-kun". It is native to west Africa but is exploited commercially mostly in The Americas and the Far East, with seed stock or cuttings obtained originally from Africa, then selectively bred over decades for desirable traits.

The "miracle" of this fruit is that it contains unique compounds that "deceive" our taste buds to perceive virtually ALL foods as tasting VERY sweet, for up to 30 minutes after a Miracle Fruit has been eaten. These fruits have enormous potential for use by people who are under medical advice to reduce or remove sugar from their diets. Simply eating a miracle fruit just before a meal imparts the illusion of sweet taste to our taste buds, even when NO sugar is added to breakfast cereals, beverages, and indeed any dish or drink to which sugar is generally added for taste.

http://miraclefruitfarm.com/

http://www.miraclefruit.ca/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

Note that this picture is magnified. The true size of the miracle fruit is about the size of your smallest finger-tip. This tree is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to germinate and grow from seed, and only slightly less challenging to propagate with cuttings. Who ever in Nigeria first unlocks the key to mass planting miracle fruit shrubs for the export market will without question retire rich at a young age.

The Igbo name for Miracle berry is Uni. In those days as a child in the village, we use to go to bush in search of uni. If we are lucky to get we use them to lick Udara (African cherry fruit) that are not sweet naturally. And you can even eat the back of the udara because it will be testing so sweet

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by mrhm(m): 1:09pm On Feb 06, 2017
Please who knows any herb I can use to cure ulcer?
Please it is urgent.
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by dagreat4(f): 9:29pm On Feb 12, 2017
what's the local name for pandan leaves biko and where can I get it here in naija
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by wowdiva: 3:01am On Feb 13, 2017
mrhm:
Please who knows any herb I can use to cure ulcer?

Please it is urgent.
Get original honey, swallow 2 or 3 table spoon first thing in the morning, afternoon and evening. Or take it whenever you feel the pain of ulcer, and it continously till you are free from ulcer. It worked for me

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by taif(f): 1:39pm On Feb 17, 2017
Pls what is Dis plant tuberous rhizomes called in Yoruba
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by kentochi(m): 10:13am On Mar 28, 2017
laurel leaves how and where can i get this leave and what is the native name
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by hlthspicesng: 2:28pm On Mar 28, 2017
We have a range of quality spices including Moringa, Turmeric, Cumin, Fenugreek, Cayenne, Thyme, Cinnamon, Potash, Ginger, Garlic, Clove. Call or Whatsapp: 0706 5763 259

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by damleket: 2:43pm On Mar 31, 2017
Good afternoon every one. please who knows the Igbo or Yoruba name for the following

1. Moroccan clay
2. Madder root
3. Alkanet root
4. Cinnamon
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by joshuannajimanu(m): 3:50am On Apr 18, 2017
emoch:
I have been researching the health benefits of various plants and herbs and most times I hit a wall because even as most of these plants are available in Nigeria, we don't know their names in our local parlance. For instance I never knew the wonderful Neem tree is our popular Dongoyaro tree. This thread is for people to contribute their ideas on various plants in our local parlance.

Below are some ideas personally know
Basil plant is known as Nchanwu(hope I spelt that right)in Igbo and Effirin in Yoruba
Henna plant is the famous Lali used mostly by northernmost for body art
Hibiscus plant is what we call here as Zobo
tamarind is called tsamia here
Tumeric is ata Ile pupa in Yoruba
Cayenne is Bawa
Chilli is Shombo in Yoruba
Black pepper is iyere in Yoruba, Oziza in igbo
Thorny pigweed/prickly amaranth is tete eleegun in yoruba

Pls post yours. Note that the plant must be indigenous to Nigeria
what is the igbo name for tumeric or can it be found in enugu pls.u can also type ur emailso i can email u

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Kudibaby(f): 9:58pm On Apr 25, 2017
Kudibaby:
pls who knows the housa or yoruba name for vitex{chasteberry} and maca root
pls I need the hausa or Yoruba name
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Superrman: 9:23am On May 02, 2017
echoedwalls:
Please where can I get tumeric plant in lagos?
Thank you
bro, pls did you find the turmeric plant?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Superrman: 10:45am On May 02, 2017
iamloyalty:
U can make turmeric urself.
hi pls is it as effective as pple really say? Pls reply very urgent
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Nobody: 1:44pm On May 05, 2017
Superrman:
yes for me.
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Newway2(m): 10:48pm On May 05, 2017
Pls does anybody know d English, Igbo & Hausa name for ds seed? Somebody saw it with a farmer in d village.

it's called "abere" in Yoruba.

it's very bitter. very medicinal.

it's a cash crop (sort of). it fruits after 2years.

it's used to treat diabetes, jedi-jedi or pile.

Do we hv any other uses of it in other part if Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by mariam13: 8:47pm On May 07, 2017
Hunteria umbellata, dunno the hausa & igbo name
Newway2:
Pls does anybody know d English, Igbo & Hausa name for ds seed? Somebody saw it with a farmer in d village.

it's called "abere" in Yoruba.

it's very bitter. very medicinal.

it's a cash crop (sort of). it fruits after 2years.

it's used to treat diabetes, jedi-jedi or pile.

Do we hv any other uses of it in other part if Nigeria?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Nobody: 9:37pm On May 09, 2017
It's popularly called Maggie tree.

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by tatacherie: 12:26pm On May 13, 2017
Wow what an educating thread
Hope to do some research n post some updates

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Ruqaya(f): 4:08pm On May 21, 2017
pls help me with the local name of masquerade tree(polyalthia longifolia) and acacia(acacia facsiculifera)
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by ab2care: 4:15pm On May 28, 2017
Please what is the Yoruba Name for Bare tree or Leaves

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Dynamite02: 9:39pm On May 29, 2017
Please what's the local name for MACA ROOT ?. Can I get it from local agbo sellers? Saw it on konga,the price almost faint me
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 05, 2017
Yea I remember when my aunt used to have a farm, then I was very liitle , she gave me some of the fruit and men was it good to the tougue (I wasn't a sugar sugar kind of chick still not though lol) right now av been looking for it but couldn't find it as I don't know the name or where its sold in lagos

Very lovely nut or should I say friut. Lol

This is called Ukpantok in Akwa Ibom
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by tatacherie: 4:28pm On Jun 05, 2017
Superrman:
Tumeric is highly medicinal/effective
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 06, 2017
choiceagric26:

It is true that it is not easy to propagate but am able to propagate 200 stand in my personal research, the compound that do the miracle is miraculin, it take long time though but it is possible as i can do it and have do it,some of my neighbors share it among themself as i dont have where to plant it them,it take like three years befote it start fruiting,
Ut is even simler tgam bitter cola,before my bitter cola germinate despite all the necessary treatment, it spent over 3 month( i loose count lol),
Pls where is your location. I would need some for cultivation. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Dynamite02: 5:20am On Jul 13, 2017
Please urgent help! What's the local name for mistoletle wood?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Newway2(m): 1:13pm On Jul 14, 2017
Dynamite02:
Please urgent help! What's the local name for mistoletle wood?

Mistoletle is called "afomo" in Yoruba because it grows on trees as a symbiotic parasite.
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Dynamite02: 2:00am On Jul 15, 2017
Newway2:

Mistoletle is called "afomo" in Yoruba because it grows on trees as a symbiotic parasite.
Thanks!
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by DonaTee(f): 4:01pm On Jul 21, 2017
light001:

This is called Ukpantok in Akwa Ibom

miracle fruit is red but nkpa ntong is yellow/orange in colour. I ve not had either of them but I love experimenting and I ve been looking out for where to source them

Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by adeuade(m): 9:35am On Jul 23, 2017
Please, what is local name for thistle?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by DonaTee(f): 3:57pm On Jul 23, 2017
PapiWata:
Miracle Fruit or Miracle Berry, is know in Yoruba as "Agbayun-kun". It is native to west Africa but is exploited commercially mostly in The Americas and the Far East, with seed stock or cuttings obtained originally from Africa, then selectively bred over decades for desirable traits.

The "miracle" of this fruit is that it contains unique compounds that "deceive" our taste buds to perceive virtually ALL foods as tasting VERY sweet, for up to 30 minutes after a Miracle Fruit has been eaten. These fruits have enormous potential for use by people who are under medical advice to reduce or remove sugar from their diets. Simply eating a miracle fruit just before a meal imparts the illusion of sweet taste to our taste buds, even when NO sugar is added to breakfast cereals, beverages, and indeed any dish or drink to which sugar is generally added for taste.

http://miraclefruitfarm.com/

http://www.miraclefruit.ca/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

Note that this picture is magnified. The true size of the miracle fruit is about the size of your smallest finger-tip. This tree is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to germinate and grow from seed, and only slightly less challenging to propagate with cuttings. Who ever in Nigeria first unlocks the key to mass planting miracle fruit shrubs for the export market will without question retire rich at a young age.

hello. Please have you been able to find this fruit n info on how to propagate it? Im interested in this.
Down here in d east ours appear greenish in colour.....tho that was in my childhood. Im searching for it too
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by DonaTee(f): 4:05pm On Jul 23, 2017
choiceagric26:

It is true that it is not easy to propagate but am able to propagate 200 stand in my personal research, the compound that do the miracle is miraculin, it take long time though but it is possible as i can do it and have do it,some of my neighbors share it among themself as i dont have where to plant it them,it take like three years befote it start fruiting,
Ut is even simler tgam bitter cola,before my bitter cola germinate despite all the necessary treatment, it spent over 3 month( i loose count lol),

please I need your help. Where can I get d seed or cuttings or seedlings? Im based in eastern Nigeria.
Are u in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants by Newway2(m): 1:49pm On Jul 24, 2017
DonaTee:

please I need your help. Where can I get d seed or cuttings or seedlings? Im based in eastern Nigeria.
Are u in Nigeria?

I can get budded miracle seedlings for you if u can pay 2500/seedling

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.