Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Chelsea vs Arsenal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chelsea vs Arsenal (2894 Views)

Download Olympiakos Vs Arsenal 0 - 3 All Giroud Goals & Highlight UCL / ENGLISH COMMUNITY SHIELD: Chelsea Vs Arsenal. Tomorrow 2nd Aug. Who Wins? / Chelsea Vs Arsenal-sunday 2:05pm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chelsea vs Arsenal by medube(m): 6:55pm On Aug 07, 2005
Hi all,

Where are the gunners supporters, so silent...? smiley

Well The blues beat them 2 - 1 today in the Charity Shield match to show them and all others that we are here to win the league again smiley UP CHELSEA!!!

I think for the gunners, they ran out of bullets... smiley
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by dile(m): 8:25pm On Aug 07, 2005
arsenal 1- 2 chelsea
lordimpaq
what do u have to say, i wish u'll be objective when airing ur comment
we won and i hope u can accept that in good faith. i dont want u to come up with some flimsy reasons on how chelsea won by luck, or how u had better ball possession or how arsenal out played chelsea but luck was against them. Try and give an objective and acceptable analysiis of this match. And c0dec, chxta and chimanu, i hope to hear what u guys think bout this match. Blues forever
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by Seun(m): 3:07am On Aug 08, 2005
LONDON, August 7 (Xinhuanet) -- Inspired Didier Drogba scored twice to give Chelsea an enjoyable 2-1 victory against Arsenal in the Community Shield at The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on Sunday.

Drogba scored in each half to cap a fine performance and it was enough to give Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho his first trophy of the season despite Cesc Fabregas' consolation strike for The Gunners.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2005-08/08/content_3323377.htm
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by Chxta(m): 8:15am On Aug 08, 2005
Sorry I didn't watch the match, so I am not in a position to analyse it until I've seen it. I'm downloading it now, when I watch it in the evening, I'll run a comment.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by DASKACE(m): 10:32am On Aug 08, 2005
Arsenal where no match to the Blues yesterday. They lost out in most departments of the game as there weakness in the backline was inexplicable exposed.

Guess this will bring to rest as who is superior between them. Chelsea rulez and if u missed the match, you better find a means of watching those world class goals by Didier Drogba.

Am lovin it and can't wait a forthnight time when we will do it a double over the Highbury landlords.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by dre901(m): 12:46pm On Aug 08, 2005
Well my fellow Arsenal fans we did well at least veria presence was not dat felt.
The young shall grow.Cesa played well and i know over time he will fit in just fine.
i dont think chelsea out played us in all dept but their long ball tactics paid off for then.
Good start for chelsea but a lot has to still be done on both sides

Arsenal for life
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by Chxta(m): 2:15pm On Aug 08, 2005
I've downloaded the extended highlights of the game. Will watch it and give my opinion later in the evening.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by sammietos(m): 3:25pm On Aug 08, 2005
Why can't these chelsea fans keep quiet for once they are winning 4 the 2nd time in the last 21 meetings and yet they are shouting. We will know who is who on the 20th this is merely a warm up march for arsenal.Gunner 4 life
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by c0dec(m): 3:39pm On Aug 08, 2005
saw the game.

arsene wenger still has to learn the art of  defending. senderos is not good enough for a big team like arsenal. well, i felt some arsenal players didn't take the game that seriously (some chelsea players too).

chelsea played ok. they knew what they were doing most of the time. they are a very good side with depth. thats all i can say.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by t2wise(m): 11:32pm On Aug 08, 2005
The match was a wonderfull one atleast to shut the empty gunners up atleast and they won't know that Viera is missing there now until the league proper kicks off grin
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by Chxta(m): 7:54am On Aug 09, 2005
Arsenal outplayed?

I saw a different set of highlights probably, maybe a clip of last season's 2-2 minus one of the Arsenal goals, but wait, in the clip I saw, Hleb came on at half time, and there was no Vieira.

The point is this, Chelsea ovbiously took the match a great deal more seriously than Arsenal did, as evidenced from the starting line-ups fielded by both managers. Then add the fact that at half time Arsenal made a lot of changes (a lot of changes at the same time tend to has more of a disruptive influence for those who didn't know).

Not to take anything away from Chelsea, they played very well, but to say that they outplayed Arsenal is an injustice. But then look under the veil...

Arsenal in the second half displayed a new tactical set-up which we haven't seen from them since the days of Petit-Vieira, a variant of 4-3-3 that is deadly on the counter, Chelsea played the same old 4-4-2 through-out. Let us look at the other underlying currents, that match finally convinced me that SWP is not needed at Chelsea, so asically, we are not going to see a new Chelsea from a tactical view point. Yes Chelsea is difficult to break down, you have to hand it to them that they are a great defensive outfit (and IMO that is the foundation of a great team), but it is ovbious that sound managers have gotten in on the fact that Makelele (not Lampard) is the engine room of that team!

After having made that rant, I think it is time to name the team that I think is the team to beat in England this season: watch out for Liverpool. On my way to work now, I'll explain later.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by bholla: 9:22am On Aug 09, 2005
Talking about who outplayed who is not the main issue in football, but the results. What are they playing for? To win I suppose. So whether Arsenal outplayed Chelsea is not the question people will ask you but they question who ever did not watch a particular match is "Who won the match".

With that match, Chelsea is sending another warning signal to who ever cares to listen that, its not going to be easy for any club to win them. That club would have to be extra excellent, because Jose is living no stone unturned to win this new premiership league. Baba Ferg shd beware!

Chelsea for real. cool[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by Chxta(m): 11:36am On Aug 09, 2005
Saying that teams go out for a win in the Charity Shield (shey na Community dem dey call am now) is like saying that Nigeria will go all out for the win against the Beninoise clubside tommorow. We all know that.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by solo2(m): 12:32pm On Aug 09, 2005
Hi all i could not watch the match co's of official commitment in my office.
so i cannot comment,all the same arsenal for life.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by tunsak: 1:13pm On Aug 09, 2005
My Gunner Fans do not worry, we shall conquer in the premiership. There's an age long tradition that whoeer wins the Charity shield end up losing the premiership at season end. Lets watch and see.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by dile(m): 3:49pm On Aug 09, 2005
Chxta, stop makin excuses for arsenal, everybody knows that the shield is not as important as the premiership, but when a team like arsenal is playing a team like chelsea or man utd, they are not only playing to win the game or trophy, but also for their pride. So stop saying that they did not take the game serious, that match was bout makin a point on their intentions for the seasons and arsenal had every intention of winning it just like chelsea. If u had read comments made by wenger, reyes and henry earlier last wk, u will not be saying that.

They will be meeting again on the 21st, i hope arsenal will take that one serious.

how come i aint heard from lordimpaq
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by Chxta(m): 4:16pm On Aug 09, 2005
dile:

Chxta, stop makin excuses for arsenal, everybody knows that the shield is not as important as the premiership, but when a team like arsenal is playing a team like chelsea or man utd, they are not only playing to win the game or trophy, but also for their pride. ...
how come i aint heard from lordimpaq

rolleyes

Starting Line-ups:

Chelsea
Petr Cech
Paulo Ferreira
John Terry
Asier Del Horno
William Gallas
Claude Makelele
Frank Lampard
Didier Drogba
Damien Duff
Arjen Robben
Eidur Gudjohnsen

Arsenal
Jens Lehmann
Kolo Touré
Ashley Cole
Cesc Fabregas
Thierry Henry
P. Senderos
Dennis Bergkamp
Robert Pires
Etame Lauren
Matthieu Flamini
F. Ljungberg

Which looks more like the first team here?

I am sticking my neck out on this one: Chelsea aren't going to beat Arsenal on the 21st. Best result for the Blues: a draw.

And yes, I know it is in Stamford Bridge.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by mufasa(m): 6:49pm On Aug 09, 2005
no matter where the match is played chelsea will always handle assenal. i've been supporting chelsea since abramovich took over as i see them as a club to demystify the fake lords that wanted to monopolise the premiership
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by dile(m): 8:29pm On Aug 09, 2005
chxta
so the absence of reyes, hleb n sol makes that team a weaker arsenal side, u cant be thinkin of gilberto cause he virtually did not play last season. So what effect did they have after their introduction in the 2nd half. Or maybe u'll say that if sol was around, drogba would not have scored those goals. I remember u calling me shortsighted ones but who is shortsighted now. let me tell u something u dont know, senderos is better than sol, and the only good thing that happened to arsenal this season is the aquisition of hleb which aint enuf, come up with another excuse pls. Let me no say much bout 21st till we get there.

Talkin of taking the match serious, in the last 20 meetings, chelsea have won ones, and u think arsenal will not like to keep it at that if it is possible, did u c tha last charity shild btw arsenal and man utd, they did not take it serious but they still won man utd!

Say something else
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by lordimpaq(m): 9:44am On Aug 10, 2005
of course it is so obvious that we did not field first team players in this match....

i would not blame wenger but i assure when we meet again... we will surely and surely defeat chelsea

on a normal day hleb would have started but he didnt... besides... if not for makelele nothing and i mean nothing for chelsea...

anyway congrats but the tournament has just begun...
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by alade: 12:35pm On Aug 10, 2005
hello
blues 4 live
let keep it rolling
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by lordimpaq(m): 11:33am On Aug 11, 2005
nothing for u guys this season......

know one thing...the winners of the cummunity shield does not win the league......

hope u know that....
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by lordimpaq(m): 12:25pm On Aug 11, 2005
dile u r here again.........i know u 'll say something
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by dile(m): 12:31pm On Aug 11, 2005
stop consoling urself with that shit, hope u know that the only constant thing in this world is change, and that is what chelsea is about.

keep dreaming
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by lordimpaq(m): 12:37pm On Aug 11, 2005
no but dile ........its true check history..d winner of the shield neva wins the league

its no consolation but noting dey happen....

21st is another date with u guys..trust me this time nothing dey happen
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by dile(m): 12:43pm On Aug 11, 2005
ok we'll c.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by Chxta(m): 2:34pm On Aug 11, 2005
Speaking of Ashley Cole, who has just signed a new £60,000 a week contract, he had his £100,000 fine reduced by 25% yesterday and declared himself delighted, whipped out his chequebook and paid up the fine so he could put this whole sordid tapping-up mess behind him to concentrate on his football again.

Oh wait, I have that slightly wrong.

Instead of paying his fine he has instructed his legal team (a left-back with a legal team I tell you), to bring an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. What a little cunt. If he got sent off he might get himself a two week fine and he'd happily admit he did something wrong so why can't he pay little more than a week's wages, accept that what he did was out of order and against the rules and just get on with things? Cole's pathetic agent Jonathan Barnett says they will go to 'the ends of the earth' to clear their names? What the are they on? The world and his mother knows they broke the rules.

For me Ashley Cole embodies everything that's wrong with today's footballers. I sincerely wish Arsenal had sold him and I don't [care] how it might have weakened their squad. He's embarrassing himself and more importantly the club. Give it up or <snip>, Ashley.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by lordimpaq(m): 11:18am On Aug 12, 2005
yeah rite....
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by alade: 9:05am On Aug 13, 2005
i think the whole world know that chelsea is the team to beat.so josey and is boys should brase up 4 this challenge ahead of them i know they will never let us dawn.

up chelsea!!!!!!!!
pls can someone tell me about joseph enakhere.i heard he is no more in sportinglisbon. cry
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by Chxta(m): 10:19am On Aug 13, 2005
Enakhire (like Nigerian players tend to foolishly do) has gone after the money and joined Dinamo Moskva.
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by babale(m): 5:45pm On Aug 13, 2005
It is a pity, some who do not have technicality of the game in their pants watch matches with their eyes closed. We wait to see how J.M. will be to withstand the mind game of the best coach of the premiership.
babale
Re: Chelsea vs Arsenal by Chxta(m): 6:21pm On Aug 19, 2005
The two teams who finished first and second in each of the last two Premiership campaigns collide head-on at Stamford Bridge in what is only the second matchday of the new season. And there is more than title-chasing or even London rivalry at stake between these two now. The Blues’ clumsy attempts to ride roughshod over the rules in the Ashley Cole affair, Arsenal’s refusal to take that lying down, Peter Kenyon’s response to the Gunners’ annoyance, and Jose Mourinho’s bizarre and erroneous claim that Arsenal rig the fixture list to disadvantage the Blues have all intensified the dislike between the North and West London adversaries to a degree of contemptuous loathing bordering on pure hatred. Goal.com cast a line into this river of ill-will and hooked a fan from each side to set the scene fore Sunday’s showdown. Blue is the colour for Ben Amoah, while Jamie Obertelli is proud to be a Gooner….

GOAL: First of all, how do you assess your side’s prospects as the new season gets underway? Full of confidence or trepidation?

Ben (CFC): If I was posed this question prior to the Wigan debacle, I would have resoundingly said this season filled me with the utmost of confidence. After the amateurish performance at the JJB, I am a bit sceptical of our overall chances especially in Europe. I get the impression that our predictable style of play has been sussed out, which was painful proved against naïve opposition on day one! However I can’t start moaning it’s only been one game, and our squad is the strongest squad in the Premiership so special things are potentially ahead. I hope I cringe with shame when I read this in 9 months time.

Jamie (AFC): Nothing but confidence. Arsenal perform best when they have been written off and it seems people have been doing that since we sold Vieira. We still play the best football in England and we just need to keep consistent.

GOAL: Tactically, where do you think this match may be won or lost?

Ben (CFC): Midfield without doubt is the key area where the game will be won or lost. Makelele and Lampard have to really impose themselves in the central area, to subdue the fast flowing Arsenal passing game through the middle. If both are on song Fabregas especially should be shown up as the kid that he is. The wings are crucial whether it be Duff and Robben or Pires and Ljungberg, whoever imposes themselves will force the opposition full backs to defend uncomfortably deep, cutting off that particular outlet. In reality in such an important game every single position is crucial, and individual tactical errors will be costly.

Jamie (AFC): Against Chelsea tactics play a huge part in deciding who wins or loses. Jose’s boys will most probably pack the midfield and try to stop us playing, whilst keeping it tight at the back. We have shown that we can score against them and just need to be careful not to give away too many set pieces because everyone knows that is how Chelsea score most of their goals.

GOAL: Which opposition player do you consider to be the greatest threat to your team in this clash?

Ben (CFC): Thierry Henry. When he plays against us he is inspired by something and it annoys the hell out of me. People say he doesn’t play well against the big teams, but my first hand experience suggests that belief is pure nonsense! His pace and power will be a threat to Terry and Gallas/Carvalho, and as naturally Henry likes to drift to the left, the at times clumsy Paulo Ferriera will certainly have his work cut out. His goal for the Les Bleus in midweek will only boost his morale and that is simply not good news, while John Terry midweek was involved in a morale sapping humiliation against Denmark, hopefully this come Sunday will be rendered entirely irrelevant.

Jamie (AFC): After the way we lost in Cardiff I would have to say Drogba. Our defence did not look comfortable with him and suffered every time he got the ball. Hopefully Senderos will perform more like his normal self and deal with the striker.

GOAL: Would you want him in your team?

Ben (CFC): Painfully it is a yes, he can trap a ball! Which Didier Drogba far too often fails to do.

Jamie (AFC): No! Our strikers are of a much better pedigree, if we did take Drogba he would have to fight for a place in our reserve side, but Lupoli and Quincy would probably keep him on the bench.

GOAL: Who from your team should we keep a particular eye on here?

Ben (CFC): Arjen Robben and Frank Lampard. Robben would have been hurt that he was made somewhat of a scapegoat for the terrible performance against Wigan, being taken off at half time will enable Robben to realise his amazing first season for The Blues was irrelevant, and with Shaun Wright Philips breathing down his neck, the pressure is on the Flying Dutchman. Frank Lampard who on his day is one of the best midfielders in Europe against Arsenal in the Community Shield and against Wigan was pathetic. General precision and sharpness was painfully lacking from his game. Patrick Vieira previously in this fixture would always overwhelm Lampard. Vieira is no longer there, so Frank has no excuses he simply must dictate the game.

Jamie (AFC): Hleb will probably play some part in the game and he has impressed me since joining the club. Our only major summer signing looks to be made from the Arsenal mould and could surprise the Blues.

GOAL: What are your side’s greatest strengths?

Ben (CFC): Defence and variation. Both won us the league last season. Conceding 15 goals in 38 games just about says it all about our defence. If we need to play and defend deep, it will be done with flawless effectiveness albeit not aesthetically pleasing at all. One of Arsenal’s problems is that they have no plan B, which is why people laugh at them in Europe. Chelsea not only have a plan B but probably have enough plans through to Z. If Jose Mourinho wanted Chelsea could play the attractive quick short passing game of Arsenal it would be done, but at times it is futile. If we need to, we can play like old school Wimbledon and punt the ball up field to Drogba for flick-ons. Because of this crucial team attribute anything Arsenal throws at us will probably be nullified through our superior tactical variation.

Jamie (AFC): Flowing, attacking football. When Arsenal are in the groove no side comes close to their attacking style.

GOAL: And weaknesses?

Ben (CFC): At times, a lack of fluidity. At the start of last season and against Wigan about 3 passes would be made, then the ball would be passed to Petr Cech and the ball would be punted aimlessly upfield. The passing at times seems forced and the anticipatory instincts of a few of our players can be embarrassingly lacking leading to unattractive football.

Jamie (AFC): Our defending has to improve this term if we are to challenge for honours. Chelsea have shown that in today’s climate boring, defensive football can win you trophies. And whilst we will never be boring or negative, if we defend the way we did at the end of the season we should be more effective.

GOAL: What do your lot typically think of their lot?

Ben (CFC): I can’t possibly write the whole truth! But overall we think of them as arrogant, fair-weather fans who forget who they are and what they used to be. Arsenal have been playing beautiful football for about 3 years, yet their fans for some reason think they have a tradition of playing in such a way and have a right to behold it. Even Spurs have more of a tradition of playing nice football, but Spurs fans don’t get happy I said that. Arsenal players and fans also have an excuse for everything! Everyone: “You’re crap in Europe”: Fans: “Because the players are tired, too many games in the Premiership”. Reality: You were sussed out by tactically superior European sides. Patrick Vieira gets sent off of spitting. Arsene Wenger: “I didn’t see it.” Reality: Get better glasses. Pathetic!

Jamie (AFC): They have overtaken Manchester United in terms of rivalry. It seems nouveaux-Chelsea fans have sprung up from every corner. Jose Mourinho and Peter Kenyon have made the club into the most arrogant side on the planet. I can’t wait till Abramovich gets bored and takes his millions elsewhere. (Why not try Formula 1, Roman?)

GOAL: What single thing irritates you most about them?

Ben (CFC): Their fans! Some of them wear the jersey and they think they know everything about football.

Jamie (AFC): Their style of play. Chelsea are basically Bolton with more cash. Jose has taken some talented players and made them play long ball. The reason they struggled at the JJB last week is because Wigan are used to that style of play from their days in the Championship.

GOAL: And what do you grudgingly admire?

Ben (CFC): Their off the pitch organisation and professionalism.

Jamie (AFC): John Terry is a great defender and he has been impressive in recent seasons. Whilst good in defence he will always pop up with an important goal and that is something I admire in a defender.

GOAL: Who is your all-time number one hate figure (or object of amusement) from their lot?

Ben (CFC): Prior to the tapping-up fiasco it was Ashley Cole especially for most fans, after the fiasco even more so. He is Arsenal through and through, he is the embodiment of everything we hate about Arsenal, just an arrogant North Londoner (I live in North London) who is the filthiest player ever to grace Stamford Bridge. Ray Parlour runs him close, just look at him: His hair, his face even his wife left the muppet, when he returned to the Bridge with ‘Boro he was hilariously made aware of what we thought of him.

Jamie (AFC): Peter Kenyon. Hated him when he was at United and I hate him more now he is at Chelsea. His arrogance knows no bounds and with him Chelsea seem to think they can poach any players or staff they want from any team. Sooner or later a side with more backbone than Tottenham will stand up to them.

GOAL: What’s the best bit of business ever done between the two clubs?

Ben (CFC): Not much positive business has really ever occurred. Probably the sheer ineptitude of Peter Kenyon unsettling Ashely Cole, and the subsequent erosion of his relationship with their fans. Which is good for us, couldn’t care less about them.

Jamie (AFC): None that I can remember. Closest we have come was the whole Ashley Cole affair.

GOAL: What’s your fondest memory of past clashes against them?

Ben (CFC): Champions League Semi Final second leg 2004. Every time I watch it I get a tear in my eye, what a night. I made sure I personally afterward destroyed the week of every single Arsenal fan I knew.

Jamie (AFC): Reyes’ double in the F.A Cup was good but Kanu’s hat trick after going 2-0 down was incredible.

GOAL: What do you think the score of this match will be, and how will it affect your week?

Ben (CFC): Heart says 2-0, but head 1-1. Arsenal are too good not to at least get a clear cut chance, while being at home gives us a slight edge. It is a shame such a great game has come so early to have any direct bearing on the title, Shame on the F.A. Because of this I think there will be far too much mutual respect shown, and a probable unwillingness to win the game. If we win my week will be fantastic even though my phone bill will suffer. If we lose my week will be utterly destroyed and my phone will not receive calls for a week!

Jamie (AFC): I think Arsenal will win 2-1. If we do I will have a great week, if we loose I’m calling in sick!

Let battle commence....

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Roll Over Betting System / James Peters Has Been Appointed As Nigeria's Coach. / Nff Appoints Samson Siasia As New Super Eagles!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.