Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming (9246 Views)

Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo / “I Make N2m Annually From Maize Farming” – 70 Year Old Man / Need Land For Large Scale Maize Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by OsunIfe: 10:21am On Nov 23, 2012
http://www.osundefender.org/?p=71089

A 70 years old mechanised farmer in the country has called on Nigerians to take farming seriously, saying he makes N2 million annually from maize farming alone.

“I have seven children who are all graduates and I catered for them through farming. One of my sons has joined me in farming and we make an average of N2 million annually from maize farming alone,” said Pa. Isaiah Oladejo, whose farm is based in Osogbo, Osun State.

He enjoined the youths to stop considering themselves as unemployed and waiting endlessly for white collar jobs that may never come, stressing: “Through farming, you will feed yourself, family and Nigeria.”

Pa Oladejo explained that farming requires passion and good sense of planning as a profession and encouraged the youths to come into it as most of the present farmers are growing old and becoming weak to actively continue.
According to him, the notion that agriculture does not sustain your livelihood is untrue. “Do you know the impact on food production if 10,000 Nigerian graduates engage in agriculture?”

Oladejo, recalled that he first came to the Osun Farm Settlement in 1963, and said since then farming has become a way of life for him, and he now manages 50 acres of farmland, where he cultivates different food crops.

The farmer of over 50 years experience identified access to fertilizer and tractors as a major challenge facing the farmers in increasing their yield.
He praised the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo whose leadership as the Governor of the Old Western Region led to the creation of Farm Settlements across the region.

He also charged those in leadership position to initiate projects that would impact on the lives of their electorates. He called for issue-based and people-focused leadership which he said would position the country on the right direction.

7 Likes

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by OsunIfe: 10:25am On Nov 23, 2012
"He praised the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo whose leadership as the Governor of the Old Western Region led to the creation of Farm Settlements across the region."

More reason why this is applaudable
Osun Sets-up Awolowo Centre For Philosophy, Ideology & Good Governance
https://www.nairaland.com/1108970/osun-sets-up-awolowo-centre-philosophy
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Abujafood: 1:17pm On Nov 23, 2012
I've also heard of a graduate farmer who makes over N150k per month in farming!

1 Like

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by charlsecy4(m): 1:18pm On Nov 23, 2012
I am a farmer!
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by IleIfe2(m): 1:18pm On Nov 23, 2012

Pa Oladejo, chop-up jare. cheesy
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Nobody: 1:20pm On Nov 23, 2012
ok, i'll try to farm!!
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by honeric01(m): 1:20pm On Nov 23, 2012
My new mission after i am through with this current mission

Going to Edo state to start cassave/Maize biz.

5 acres should do justice to this plan of mine cool

Papa you talk true, none of us wan plant food but all of us wan chop food.

1 Like

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 23, 2012
Thats good.its obvious Naija can survive should our oil dry up

1 Like

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Lusaint(m): 1:24pm On Nov 23, 2012
Farming need 2 be improve seriously.
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by salolo(m): 1:26pm On Nov 23, 2012
Farming is the solution for umemployment. Govt. should do more to invest in it
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by emilyone(f): 1:30pm On Nov 23, 2012
with this great revelation i just hope kidnappers wont be on a look out for this old papa and his family cheesy

3 Likes

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by samfibby(m): 1:30pm On Nov 23, 2012
Osun•Ife:

More reason why this is applaudable

More reason why awolowo will deny western governors if he was alive.
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Sunymoore(m): 1:34pm On Nov 23, 2012
Chaiii I go start dis maizing
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by ghettodreamz(m): 1:34pm On Nov 23, 2012
Nice thread.... I hope the unemployed youths would take to this advice, to help better their lives instead of wasting precious time seeking for white collar jobs that are hard to come by.

I think another interesting type of farming is 'Fish farming', with good knowledge, rightful information and management could be a worthwhile venture.
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Slyp: 1:36pm On Nov 23, 2012
The govt should not expect the 21 century youth to go farming in the same method our ancestors farmed many centuries ago. Except we adapt the updated modern means of farming I tell you making 2m annually can never be encouraging enough.

1 Like

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by aAK1(m): 1:37pm On Nov 23, 2012
My plans for next year by Gods grace. I make a lot from poultry already and in order to cut down on cost of feeding I am going into crops.I wish our youth can see dis nigeria will be a better place.

1 Like

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by almajiri101: 1:38pm On Nov 23, 2012
@Op what are you insinuating?...that we should forget our career and go to farming, I don't believe in this obj idea,do you think going back to farming will solve our problems? Don't you think revolution is the best answer to all these probs,...going back to farming is like adding salt to injury

1 Like

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by johndavid1(m): 1:45pm On Nov 23, 2012
charlsecy4: I am a farmer!
Ganja abi? undecided undecided undecided
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by oluking: 1:47pm On Nov 23, 2012
almajiri101: @Op what are you insinuating?...that we should forget our career and go to farming, I don't believe in this obj idea,do you think going back to farming will solve our problems? Don't you think revolution is the best answer to all these probs,...going back to farming is like adding salt to injury

for your mind , you know you are wrong.

3 Likes

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by blaazoon22(m): 1:52pm On Nov 23, 2012
My fellow nigerian youths, farming is d way out. Frankly , I hav never seen a serious farmer who is hungry . D ones I knw live in d best homes and drive d latest n choicest cars. Any farm prdt (crop or animal) is very lucrative. I just started mine and hope to join d smile gaints soon. I advice u make use of a suburb or village (cheap land n resources) !!! All d BEST
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by bknight: 1:56pm On Nov 23, 2012
I've always admired farming...only in africa is it regarded as a poor man's job but elsewhere farmers are among world's richest folks

undecided
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 23, 2012
Youths yos see!! Now go into farming instead of weting for rain to fall so u can shout wether for two cool

1 Like

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by redsun(m): 2:00pm On Nov 23, 2012
Virtually everything is money in nigeria,but you just got to work very hard for it.Africa is like untapped gold mine,ELDORADO.
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by dannywest: 2:01pm On Nov 23, 2012
Net or Gross?
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by greatgod2012(f): 2:07pm On Nov 23, 2012
Farming is a good business but how many of us can leave our careers to farming, we all enjoy blue collar job, sitting down inside A.C and using our biro (mental effort) in getting things done, none of us want to be seen as farmers, instead as doctors, accountants, bankers,lawyers, office engineers, etc, forgetting dt all these pple depend on farmers for their survival, abi, who fit live without food?
Im also guilty of this, so may God help us all.
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by greatgod2012(f): 2:09pm On Nov 23, 2012
@pa Oladejo, may u live longer to continue enjoying d fruit of ur labour........amen.
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Tinkybabe(f): 2:30pm On Nov 23, 2012
This is a wake-up call for us all!especially those that are yet to be gainfully employed.It's bad enough that our government has failed us,why should we fail ourselves by sitting home all day and claim we are looking for white collar jobs?There are many productive sectors that can be tapped into, agriculture being one of them...It's high time we started looking beyond the scope of office job!
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by XFive: 2:33pm On Nov 23, 2012
Make he dey careful make them no kidnap am
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 23, 2012
almajiri101: @Op what are you insinuating?...that we should forget our career and go to farming, I don't believe in this obj idea,do you think going back to farming will solve our problems? Don't you think revolution is the best answer to all these probs,...going back to farming is like adding salt to injury
by the time garri finish for market you go know say kakki no be leather

1 Like

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by Wsdm: 2:41pm On Nov 23, 2012
... And the north with higher potentials in term of land mass is waiting aimlessly for oil revenue. What a pity.

1 Like

Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by femu(m): 2:54pm On Nov 23, 2012
Farming is highly lucrative if you get it right. Opportunities exist in Piggery and Vegetable plantations.
Re: 70-yr-old Farmer Makes N2m Annually From Maize Farming by BlueMurder(m): 2:55pm On Nov 23, 2012
Wsdm: ... And the north with higher potentials in term of land mass is waiting aimlessly for oil revenue. What a pity.

The North is not waiting for oil revenue, aimlessly or otherwise as you insinuate. Northerners have been farming since God knows when. But i agree that the political elites have become very lazy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Print Recharge Card With My Phone / Secret Night Club In Lagos Where Ladies Dance Unclad And Engaged In Anal Sex / Access Bank Plc Signs N15 Billion Green Bond Issuance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.