Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,833 members, 7,802,668 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) (3134 Views)

Photos: How To Drive A Manual Transmission Vehicle Without Using The Clutch / What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by redcliff: 8:16pm On Nov 24, 2012
hey everyone, good evening. i noticed alot of people have ran away from manual automobiles due to the fact that there was an easier alternative."the automatic gear". But old lovers of driving right before the AUTO gained so much recognition would still say, "manual is the best" but some other people beg to differ which has to do with various experiences and what have you. Personally i think the manual tranny is a good thing although it could be a pain in the ar.se when it comes to very traffic-busy-bad road metropolis like Lagos.

I went to fix some components in my automobile today and the mechanic was complaining that a woman who has the same type of car as mine has changed her Clutch 6 times since she got it march this year. I laughed and said, maybe she cant drive. But seriously because manual tranny has been relegated to the background and is now the second choice option of manufacturers unlike the days when the manual tranny was first choice and auto was second.

So to the house, what makes a clutch burn or should i say (glaze) as it is professionally called?
Re: What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 24, 2012
redcliff: So to the house, what makes a clutch burn or should i say (glaze) as it is professionally called?

Most common causes of worn clutches are as follows:

* Riding the clutch (slight pressure on pedal whilst driving).
* Faulty disengagement (cable or hydraulic system).
* Aggressive driving.
* Leaking rear main crank oil seal (oil contamination on the friction disc, causing slip).
Re: What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by redcliff: 8:54pm On Nov 24, 2012
Siena:

[color=#000099]Most common causes of worn clutches are as follows:

* Riding the clutch (slight pressure on pedal whilst driving

I think this one alone, is the major reason why clutches glaze.
Re: What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by fm7070: 8:29pm On Dec 01, 2012
in addition, I think the clutch leather also get worn out. And it needs to be fixed when you notice the clutch is not picking very well
Re: What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by fvictop(m): 12:22am On Feb 03, 2016
from my 2 days driving experience I can categorically say that clutch glazing is due to fear, insentivity to sounds and anxiety. my friend to me I will burn my clutch but am still saying no. imaging I changed gear from 1 to 2 I was still pressing down the clutch n pressin throttle same time. few seconds I was perceiving a smell n I was asking me friends was smelling

1 Like

Re: What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by Nobody: 12:46am On Feb 03, 2016
fm7070:
in addition, I think the clutch leather also get worn out. And it needs to be fixed when you notice the clutch is not picking very well

What is a clutch leather, and how EXACTLY is it fixed?

1 Like

Re: What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by Lagusta(m): 1:13am On Feb 03, 2016
Siena:

Looolz....

In Nigeria, the clutch leather, by kazeem vocabulary, is the clutch friction disc, and seriously, I don't know why it's called leather...

And don't worry, kazeems don't "fix" clutches, they replace them, albeit with Chinese ones tho....
Re: What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by Nobody: 1:37am On Feb 03, 2016
Siena:

I guess on a model T Ford grin
Re: What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by Nobody: 1:45am On Feb 03, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I guess on a model T Ford grin

I guess that's a possibility. All sort of materials were used then - pig skin, wood, good old steel etc. wink
Re: What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) by Nobody: 2:30am On Feb 03, 2016
Siena:

I guess that's a possibility. All sort of materials were used then - pig skin, wood, good old steel etc. wink

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed wood wheels grin

(1) (Reply)

Which will you choose out of the cars below? / Safety Tips For Drivers During Easter Celebration / How Much Would The Gear Box For An EOD V6 Cost?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.