Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,747 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? (19148 Views)

Is It Right For A Christian Wife To Say Things Like These During Sex? / Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? / Lagos Orders Churches To Remove Loud Speakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Mckayzee(m): 11:16am On Nov 26, 2012
Super1759:
Go to good churches with outstanding musical levels and confirm, its either they are given token or the pastor takes car
ur so on point..cos thats what happens even in churches like MFM..they are taken care of(their schooling,their sheltering, and they get good jobs thru the help of the GO)...
See?..more like paying them!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Ganys: 11:42am On Nov 26, 2012
Mtchew...Show me where Jesus Play Piano in the Bible First undecided
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by tpapi: 11:45am On Nov 26, 2012
High Definition: See jamb question,church suppose pay since pastors de buy jets
bros no b every church fit afford jet,some churches r stil paying rent for their accomodation
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by basher(m): 11:46am On Nov 26, 2012
tpapi: If dos playing d instruments are actually members of the church den I think is crazy to pay dem

Why shouldn't they get paid? Doesn't the pastor or general overseer get paid? Wouldn't it be more humane & charitable to pay these struggling people a salary so they can survive instead of lavishing the pastor with private jets, posh cars and other luxuries beyond the wildest dreams of the ordinary church member?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 26, 2012
Freiburger: me think it is right.

I know most of u supporting this act do not know what true worship to God is all about. If u see the manner the guy who plays talking drum for my church zoom out from the church immediately after praise and worship session (maybe to go play in another nearby church), u will weep for the church. It is so disgusting to do that.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Eminentsam(m): 12:16pm On Nov 26, 2012
Youngzedd: In my own opinion it should be free, mehn you are doing it for God and not for pastor or any other person and remember anything you give to God is never in vain because he will surely pay you the other way round, who knows what you would have been by now if you aren't charging for the services you render to God directly, you didn't pay for the life he gave you and u have the morale to collect money from him, am sorry for say this ur name is SORRY.

It's not proper God isn't man.
He knows the reason why he gave you the talent.

There are others ways you can mske money with what you have but it shouldn't be from God.

It will be better if the church train their members on how to play the instrumentals.

NOTE: This is just an opinion, haters keep off.
i've not met such a blatant compound fool like u b4.your type are bench wormers sunday sunday medicine in the church that expect things to be going well in the church without any comitment.now tell me "which group are you involved in the church ?" i guess none.some threads are not for every minds just like yours.yes not just them are not suposd to be paid but everybody both MOGs lets see how it will work.go enroll in school of thought and reason boy.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by bumtos(m): 12:23pm On Nov 26, 2012
many didnt believe that most of the instrumentalist we are talking about paid a lot before they started playing.
Many went to school of Music just for them to be a proffessional. How do you want them to regain their money etc?
Everythgs has becoming work in this country. Pls, make use of your talent because you dont knw where it would lead you to.
As for me, is not bad.
Psalms 150.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by omakay(m): 12:35pm On Nov 26, 2012
It is only an INSTRUMENTALIST that can contribute wisely to this thread.

I see some comments and i just laugh.

Some churches take advantage of instrumentalists while some instrumentalists take advantage of some churches.

For me, i feel that there are better things to benefit from the church other than a salary.That is where wisdom comes in.

As regards the money issued monthly to instrumentalists, is it in form of ALLOWANCE ( to cover for transportation and other expenses) or SALARY?

I would agree to an ALLOWANCE but not a SALARY!!!!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Heliesha: 12:35pm On Nov 26, 2012
[quote author=alextayo]Everybody may have idea about music, but it takes extensive study and training to bring out the best in you and these studies/training does not come free. How do you expect me to play for a church for free when it cost me many thousands of NAIRA to even get MUSON Grade 6 certificate. If intrumentalist are to play for free in churches, then the church should be ready. to bear the financial cost of their training. Instrumentalist spend money to purchase their instruments.

If u ave anoda alternative of income i'd say there's really no need to play for money.i knw of two guys wu didnt ave anoda jobs cept for d music fin they do one do collect money but d oda one does not.bt there's one fin i noticed d one who does it for free is more stuffed up, pple in the church actually appreciate him more than d oda guy who recieves income cus they fink d church pays him.salary is important but it shouldnt be the driving force for music in Gods house.yes u pay to learn music but must of those guys actually started learning from church b4 going else where.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by sajawagu: 12:41pm On Nov 26, 2012
The church have been turned into a business center and the instrumentalists are part of if' they should be paid,for they make their living from that'
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 26, 2012
[quote author=shadrach77]i remembered this topic appearing on the front page sometimes this year. I used to be a bit naive in thinking instrumentalists should not be paid since they are working for God. I now know better. The truth is THEY SHOULD BE PAID. We have two types of instrumentalists, proffesional and non proffesional. I am an instrumentalist in my church but i am not a proffesional so i don't expect to be paid. But if someone is a proffesional instrumentalist, that's where they are getting their daily bread so they should be paid. Moreso, we need to ask ourselves a question, is the pastor not getting paid? He is for doing God's work, so if the pastor is getting paid for working for God, why then should other church workers do it for free?

Opinions are subject to time and knowledge...you may change tmoro...
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by SpicyMimi(f): 1:57pm On Nov 26, 2012
Why should they be paid?? Thats total rubbish!!! If they are members of the church its totally nonsense! It shud b done free willingly! Are u also sayin dat choirs shud b paid as well? And dey call demselves workers of God, workers my foot...u r working for ur stomache nd not for God! If dats d case, they shudnt xpect any reward frm God. If at all the church wna compensate dem it shudnt b all the time. Sooner or later next thing we gna hear is dt ushers nd even the congregation are being paid! Except they are professionals nd they dnt worship in dt church....aside that...No No...if dey wnt any means of livehood, dey shud plz look forit somwhr outsd d church!
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 26, 2012
Instrumentalists have to attend so many Church services. They'll work during the 2 or 3 services on Sunday, they may be required for at least 2 weddings on Sat and they will also render their services during mid-week Bible study, revival, night vigil, convention, womens meeting and many others not to mention all the hours of practice involed . When exactly are they supposed to go and do another job that will earn them a living? For most instrumentalists working in the Church is a full time committment and that is why they get paid just like full time pastors do too. Choir members and Usher are usually many and can be rotated so they attend when it dosen't clashith their work but in a Church with 1 main instrumentalist he will work full time.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by item1: 2:56pm On Nov 26, 2012
If I work in a company where the GOC owns a private jet I'll only serve for free if the jet will be for everybody's use.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by aAK1(m): 3:07pm On Nov 26, 2012
I am an instrumentalist and I must tell u,we should be payed.most of us play in clubs friday,satday/sunday and u expect me to wake up to meet 7 am service. We never even talk of satday rehearsals.if I am a pastor that loves music,I would want all my instrumentalist to be available all the time.go and ask how much coza pays and u justify the result they get.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by DSB(m): 3:32pm On Nov 26, 2012
Well, I was never in support of instrumentalists getting paid until i found myself in a 'tight situation'. I get paid 10% of what most instrumentalists are paid everywhere just for my car upkeep(gas) because i have got no other income source for now. The call it stipend...I feel ashamed anytime i receive a payment.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Kassidy90(m): 3:35pm On Nov 26, 2012
The GO is using private jet, so to pay the instrumentalist is nw an issue, of course they must pay......... Na only pastor need money ni
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by mko2005: 4:05pm On Nov 26, 2012
corruptst: Hi Nairalanders,
This topic is borne out of the burden I felt over the issue of what is normal and what is right. Most times, the frequency at which we do some things may actually impair our judgement of normality and rightness. I am not really the "brother" type but more of a moralist who cannot but be amused by the level in which churches are being run especially in this part of the world.

A very close pal visited me today and continuously ranted about how the church where he plays bass guitar "bleeped up" by not paying his October salary. I wasn't really surprised since this wouldn't really have been the first time of hearing of such payments. I had to question him on the necessity for such since he did it for GOD and that resulted in a long argument with him giving untold reasons.

My question is, Is it right for these churches to needlessly subject themselves to untold hardship trying to run the church and at the same time trying to pay salaries to the so called instrumentalists?

Your opinions will be appreciated.
There are people who work for God and there are people who work with God !
Those who work with God does not consider the money before doing the work.They put God first.Most times,they turn down any form of payment and they decide to do it for free becos they know it's God's work no matter how you present it to them. They play to lift their spirit,the spirit of other worshipers and to please their God.
Those who work for God can be paid.If you get paid as a hireling or one who works for God,it does not mean that you have sinned becos as some one said earlier,that your gift will for sure make a way for you-This is the word of God.And the professional instrumentalists are not exceptions.If you say they shouldn't be paid and that is what they do for a living,how will they survive? There are people who are professionals but do not take money from small churches when they play for them.But most big churches can afford to pay them to aid or add to the quality worship of God in church.
So my take on this is,if you want to be paid as a professional instrumental in the house of God,there is nothing wrong with it especially when you dnt do any other job other than that but do not place money above what you do !
And if you dnt take salary or wages of any kind,pls continue that way your gift will SURELY MAKE A WAY FOR YOU !
God bless us

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Synthase(m): 4:48pm On Nov 26, 2012
Ganys: Mtchew...Show me where Jesus Play Piano in the Bible First undecided
show me where Jesus shit or urinate in the Bible second. Oshisco! tongue
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by bacco2000(m): 5:18pm On Nov 26, 2012
its not wrong paying the instrumentalists, but if they are choir members its wrong. If they're invited or if thats what they do for a living why wont they be paid. I'm an instrumentalist as well i play the saxophone free at my church but if i'm invited at another church i'll get paid cos saxophone too will use reed that does not last long before it gets weak...
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by TableLeg(m): 5:20pm On Nov 26, 2012
Whether churches like, they can play por.no, it doesnt bother me one bit! undecided
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by shevon: 5:56pm On Nov 26, 2012
crazygod: Sure it is the correct thing to do. Its biblical. They are known as LEVITES. Even solomon paid his choir and instrumentalists.

Please, can you back this up with Bible references? I beg o, I'm not asking because I'm trying to make anybody look bad - cos I'm neither here nor there, I just want to learn for better knowledge purpose.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Image123(m): 9:29pm On Nov 26, 2012
everybody can come up with one reason or another of why he deserves to paid, even newcomers/firsttimers. At the end, what do you go to church for?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by rhymz(m): 10:24pm On Nov 26, 2012
DSB: Well, I was never in support of instrumentalists getting paid until i found myself in a 'tight situation'. I get paid 10% of what most instrumentalists are paid everywhere just for my car upkeep(gas) because i have got no other income source for now. The call it stipend...I feel ashamed anytime i receive a payment.
who is this idiota
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by lyricalpreacher(m): 10:58pm On Nov 26, 2012
Freiburger:
What are you saying? are most pastors not on salary?
I don't think it is proper to pay instrumentalist or even pastors or anybody that renders services in church except on full time basis. I ws born in the apostolic church and we were taught how to play any instrument from age 10. In my set, we were abt 15 nd d church paid for our trainins. For every child dat grew up nd got baptized in our chapel, learnin @ least 1 instrument ws a must. So we had reservoir of instrumentalist for evry instrument. One person cld play on tue nd anoda on thur nd anoda on sunday dependin on who comes first to service. @ a point we had a time table for it. Of course nt evribodi perfected their trainin to a professional level but d seeds were bein planted. 10yrs later, some stopped playin nd only a few turned professional bekoz we dedicated more time to it. Currently, I'm worshipin with rccg nd ve been der for 4yrs nd I dnt collect a dime bkoz I knew hw I started. Freely I received nd freely I must give. A lot of d instrumentalist dat the apostolic church trained, are nw playin in oda churches so u cld say de lost their players buh de kip on producin more. Anytym I meet my oda professionals whom I grew up with bk then in apostolic, we r alwys grateful. Of course de dint lose all coz some r still with dem. De train their pastors, singers nd instrumentalists nd workers in d vineyard. I tink personally for me dat if diz new genaration churches by chance happen to reap frm d investments doz orthodox churches made in their teenagers it nt rilly bad buh de must learn to grow beyond dat nd ve a plan in place to build their own. If de invest in trainin 10 young talents in various instruments, wit tym de wld be able to play well though nt professionally nd if de chose to leave d church de shldnt count it as a lose coz another denomination wld gain frm it. Bottom line dnt pay any instrumentalist professional or nt. If u cnt use d amateur in ur midst then search urslf, coz somthng is wrong wit ur salvation.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by toygod2: 11:03pm On Nov 26, 2012
i dnt think its rite. IMO tho
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 26, 2012
If the pastor can afford a private jet by milking the entire congregation both rich and poor then hell yes. I go to first Methodist church and I'm camera director both for the live streaming on Fridays and Sundays. It's something I love doing and for free. And yeah my pastor Who is a real medical doctor don't have private jet despite how wealthy the members are.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by lockedOut: 11:24pm On Nov 26, 2012
is it right for a pastor to own an aeroplane?
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by Ohibenemma(m): 11:30pm On Nov 26, 2012
There are times my Pastor squeezes a 1k envelope into my. It's irregular, may not come in a whole month, but I never demand for it. Do I need it? Definitely! I go to church about every day of the week, except mondays and my T.fare is one thing, barring other expenses like offerings, etc. I was rejecting it initially, but got to hear a sound message about a worker being worthy of his wages and about receiving whatever was offered one with thanks, and had a change of heart.
I don't make demands, but definitely don't reject what's offered too. I'm looking forward to a time I will be able to give much more to the church.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by STENACO: 5:34am On Nov 27, 2012
I just enrolled to study music in SA paying 4.5M naira for my studies and when I come back you tell me to go and server for free in the church. I will be awake at night playing my classical pieces but when you need the services in the church you tell me is free. If actually you have been a professional musician you will appreciate that it Is not all about playing because you have underwent series of trainingf for yourself. My wish is to study lecture in music and do it free for the church but that is a personal wish.

For example I bought my saxophone. I learnt it myself. I play it on a professional level and you exepect me to come and waste my energy for nothing. Unless I wish to do so but it the churchs obligation to pay for that service. I play pipe organ for a church and they pay me heavily. The one I want to do free I doest it. The priests are paid for theri services what is then the difference. So please if you have not been a prfessional instumentalist it is not necessary you comment. Thanks for understanding.
Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by demitola(m): 8:48am On Nov 27, 2012
It kld be veri funny d mentality of most pple on sensitiv topics like dis. Jst as som av opined, U can hardly contribute passnatly if u avn't played music at d profesnal level. Its nt moi-moi. Its a skilled work, it also requires days and nites of personal rehearsal 2just kip up wid d pace alone, nt to talk of added group rhrzals. Ao many rhrzalz dos it take 2be a chrch sweeper? U sed its God's work instrumtalists shldnt be catered 4, bt d well-packagd bible u're using u bought, d pastor is on payroll inorda nt to lean too mch financiali on chrch members lest dey stat takin undue advtnge of him, d chrch website builders, video editors, profesnal sound engineers etc ar all bein priced bt a profesnal instrumentlist shld stuck 'God bless ya' in d pocket evri wk. Its even most embarasin wen a chrch can buy a N1.5milion keyboard bt cant afford 1k t-fare a wk 4d player. Dnt wanna talk no mor joor!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? by omakay(m): 8:54am On Nov 27, 2012
demitola: It kld be veri funny d mentality of most pple on sensitiv topics like dis. Jst as som av opined, U can hardly contribute passnatly if u avn't played music at d profesnal level. Its nt moi-moi. Its a skilled work, it also requires days and nites of personal rehearsal 2just kip up wid d pace alone, nt to talk of added group rhrzals. Ao many rhrzalz dos it take 2be a chrch sweeper? U sed its God's work instrumtalists shldnt be catered 4, bt d well-packagd bible u're using u bought, d pastor is on payroll inorda nt to lean too mch financiali on chrch members lest dey stat takin undue advtnge of him, d chrch website builders, video editors, profesnal sound engineers etc ar all bein priced bt a profesnal instrumentlist shld stuck 'God bless ya' in d pocket evri wk. Its even most embarasin wen a chrch can buy a N1.5milion keyboard bt cant afford 1k t-fare a wk 4d player. Dnt wanna talk no mor joor!

Abeg!!!! 300 GBOSA for you!!!!!

You are soo on point.

This 1.5million scenario always happens in churches where the is poor management in the music section.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ghana's Deputy Minister Of Transport Bans Preaching In Public Buses in Ghana / What Is Your Church Theme For 2018? / Please What Does The Bible Mean By "vain Repititions" Matthew 6:7?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.