Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles (17019 Views)

How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine / Is Mileage Of 156,000 Miles Too High For A 1999 (ie 14-Year-Old) Car? / Is Buying A Car With A Mileage Of 109,000 Miles A Safe/good Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by alstacs(m): 1:29am On Nov 26, 2012
I have observed recently the mileage of Tokunbo cars in online market places and in car shops, they are ridiculously low.
Most of the cars u see usually have less than 100,000 km. Could this be real? Does it mean that the owners of the cars just parked them in the garages?
Imagine a car that was manufactured about 10 years ago and has only travelled 90,000km. shocked
It must travelled less than 1000km par annum.
It is so ridiculous that even cars manufactured in 1996 have similar records.
Please how reliable are these figures?
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by femmy2010(m): 6:44am On Nov 26, 2012
It is very possible for them to have those mileage if the owner has other cars he uses too or that the car is a salvage car and parked for a while before being sold.
It could also be that the mileage was rolled bacl here in Nigeria.
Having a VIN check would help reveal which is which.

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by stagger: 7:41am On Nov 26, 2012
A VIN check would reveal if there was an odometer rollback. In Nigeria, car dealers are notorious for those kinds of things.

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by femmy2010(m): 7:56am On Nov 26, 2012
stagger: A VIN check would reveal if there was an odometer rollback. In Nigeria, car dealers are notorious for those kinds of things.

A VIN check would tell you the last Odometer reading,with that you can deduce if there was a roll back or not.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 26, 2012
Naija nd Tokunbo things
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by CoolKizzy(m): 9:14am On Nov 26, 2012
Please what is VIN check

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by born2boink(m): 9:19am On Nov 26, 2012
Cool Kizzy: Please what is VIN check
first ask google

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 26, 2012
Femmy point of correction, odometer roll backs are not only done in Nigeria in fact most of them are done in the USA before being shipped down. I know a particular dealer that does that before shipping he's vehicles down to Nigeria.
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by Freiburger(m): 9:32am On Nov 26, 2012
This is the Vehicle Identification Number that helps in revealing a brief history of any vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by anishe(m): 9:37am On Nov 26, 2012
What is VIN check and how do u get it done in Naija?
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by kruku: 9:42am On Nov 26, 2012
[quote author=femmy2010]It is very possible for them to have those mileage if the owner has other cars he uses too or that the car is a salvage car and parked for a while before being sold.
It could also be that the mileage was rolled bacl here in Nigeria.
Having a VIN check would help reveal which is which.[/quote
Most TOKUBO Cars in Nigeria are fingered! The reason being that a car of lesser than 100k miles iş quite. Far above the average selling prices of most of the cars. Most of the prices fall in the bracket 200k- 250k miles which iş 350k-400k meters. These çarş are worn! Only window dressed for the Naija market. The usual slogan iş e neet die!.
We must learn to do right for our people. Importers eylüle stop fingerıngiliz and let the knows the stuff he iş buying. Heaven dey see us!.
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by victorD3: 9:48am On Nov 26, 2012
anishe: What is VIN check and how do u get it done in Naija?

VIN check is examining your brain by a Doctor
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by Freiburger(m): 9:49am On Nov 26, 2012
@kruku,
You are are right, as much as i can understand, in Germany, a car with less than 100,000km goes with a minimung of a 2 years guarantee from the dealer. Why are these cars giving headaches as soon as they arrive Nigeria?
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by Lexusgs430: 10:07am On Nov 26, 2012
There is nothing ridiculous about low mileages older cars. The car could have been a one owner car from brand new, owned by an old couple that only drive to the shops and little other places in-between.
But you will also have to consider mileage clocking, in purchasing any used cars. A VIN CHECK would enable you make an informed decision regarding time lapses and present mileage readings.

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:34am On Nov 26, 2012
The Truth and Nothing but the Truth is that it is very rare to have a car and leave it for 10 years without driving it (or selling it) because you have a new one.
This is a common reason(excuse) dealers give you when they are trying to pawn off these derelict pieces of junk. and the way they go about it you would think 8 in 10 Americans own a 10yr old car with low mileage grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by enquirydon: 10:35am On Nov 26, 2012
money matter
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by femmy2010(m): 10:40am On Nov 26, 2012
k2wise: Femmy point of correction, odometer roll backs are not only done in Nigeria in fact most of them are done in the USA before being shipped down. I know a particular dealer that does that before shipping he's vehicles down to Nigeria.

95% of odometer roll back cases are done in Nigeria as the US system don't take lightly rolling back cases.
The punitive measures put in place in the US makes it unattractive for them,unlike Nigeria where anything goes.

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by engrfcuksmtin(m): 10:52am On Nov 26, 2012
victorD3:

VIN check is examining your brain by a Doctor
How old are u?

7 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by lordcastro: 10:53am On Nov 26, 2012
These car dealers can be funny though, my car was brand new which i got jan 2007,used it for one yr n packed it till mid 2009,right now i only use the car to go to work n occasionaly travel lik once in 3 months, right now my mileage is clocking 70,345. the car has been on the road on the average of 54months i.e 4yrs ,6 months from mileage 000.Note the distance from my house to the office is approximately 15mins drive.
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by pannyman(m): 11:05am On Nov 26, 2012
A colleague at the office recently bought a '97 Camry with a mileage of about 73,000 miles. I got really curious and went to this site, http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home to check it out. The last bit of maintenance that was recorded was in 2009 and at the time the mileage was 206,000 miles! When I showed it to my guy he was shocked and told me that the person who sold the car to him was a trusted friend.

Well, we don't know whether his friend had a hand in the rollback or not. Anybody can crosscheck the maintenance records of a Toyota car they wish to buy from the US or from a Nigerian dealer who imported a car from the US via this link: http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home. Just register using any address and enter a US city with matching zip code.

Even VIN records can be forged, trust me. I have done quite a bit of research on this matter.

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by victorD3: 11:13am On Nov 26, 2012
engrfcuksmtin: How old are u?

You should ask the kid that kept asking the meaning of VIN despite several definitions and advice.
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by DrChatNuff: 11:35am On Nov 26, 2012
My 7yr car gatz only 47000 miles..... grin
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by femmy2010(m): 12:06pm On Nov 26, 2012
DrChatNuff: My 7yr car gatz only 47000 miles..... grin

It is not impossible but just a very rare scenario.
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by dabigwalls: 12:21pm On Nov 26, 2012
pannyman: A colleague at the office recently bought a '97 Camry with a mileage of about 73,000 miles. I got really curious and went to this site, http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home to check it out. The last bit of maintenance that was recorded was in 2009 and at the time the mileage was 206,000 miles! When I showed it to my guy he was shocked and told me that the person who sold the car to him was a trusted friend.

Well, we don't know whether his friend had a hand in the rollback or not. Anybody can crosscheck the maintenance records of a Toyota car they wish to buy from the US or from a Nigerian dealer who imported a car from the US via this link: http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home. Just register using any address and enter a US city with matching zip code.

Even VIN records can be forged, trust me. I have done quite a bit of research on this matter.

Please note, 206,000 miles = 329,600km. That is, the car has been driven round the continent of Africa 2-and half times over. It is the Camry of all Camrys. Their Lord and messiah.

4 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by pannyman(m): 12:29pm On Nov 26, 2012
dabigwalls:

Please note, 206,000 miles = 329,600km. That is, the car has been driven round the continent of Africa 2-and half times over. It is the Camry of all Camrys. Their Lord and messiah.

Such mileage is not uncommon. My '99 Camry currently has a mileage of 230,800 miles.
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by JUO(m): 12:40pm On Nov 26, 2012
they are crocks. imagine seeing a camry of 1999 with 44,000 mileage. the person buy am pack am?
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 26, 2012
victorD3: You should ask the kid that kept asking the meaning of VIN despite several definitions and advice.

I agree. It's just one the many pointers to the fact, lots of posters don't read through previous responses, because they're simply lazy. Typing "VIN check" into Google or similar will bring up various answers.

It's nice to render help when it's needed, but those that ask certain questions need to help themselves too, by exhausting as many avenues as possible, before asking. Or by using the "search" function. If they've got a question to ask, it's very likely the same question has been asked AND answered at least 30 times. Often those that give helpful responses have to search online too, just to help a brother or sister out. Something they themselves can do, without waiting to be spoonfed.

Often if a question's directed at me, and I don't answer on time, I get accused of being "ignorant." There's actually one such query on here right now, where the poster feels I haven't responded "on time."

Annoying!

2 Likes

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by kruku: 1:33pm On Nov 26, 2012
pannyman: A colleague at the office recently bought a '97 Camry with a mileage of about 73,000 miles. I got really curious and went to this site, http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home to check it out. The last bit of maintenance that was recorded was in 2009 and at the time the mileage was 206,000 miles! When I showed it to my guy he was shocked and told me that the person who sold the car to him was a trusted friend.

The price of a 75000km about 43000miles iş such that your Guy no go gree buy. That iş almost a new car! Nigerians eylüle know that milage and sefer 'effects' determines the car price and not how clean(die!) and chilling air conditioner.
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by princeonx: 2:15pm On Nov 26, 2012
Those guys/dealers rolling back mileage need to be in jail. It's also a felony here in the US which can easily suspend your dealers license and land you up to 10yrs in jail! Really don't know why any dealer with brain will risk that over one st.-pid $2000 car!
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by stagger: 2:38pm On Nov 26, 2012

If something is too good to be true, it almost certainly is.
Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by aweleokolo: 3:14pm On Nov 26, 2012

VIN number = Chassis number...

1 Like

Re: Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles by vanminister: 3:59pm On Nov 26, 2012
419ners are rare in the west. so trust the mileage you see.

do you have problem with that//??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hyundai And Kia To Recall 240,000 Cars Over Whistleblower Complaint / Its A/C Season Again, Lets Share Problems And Solutions / Taxi drivers, What Do You Do To Forgotten Items When You Can't Trace The Owner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.