Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,440 members, 7,808,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long (10991 Views)

The Ordeal Of Staying With Your Uncle's Or Brother's Wife / How Long Is Too Long For An Inlaw To Stay? / Am Tired Of Staying With My Parents. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 26, 2012
How long is too long?

You have just moved into a new town and the only place you could live temporarily is with:

A married uncle,
A married aunty,
A friend with his or her family,
A family friend,
A cousin,

In the order of arrangement, how long is too long staying with this set of people. I know some of us have experiences living with someone so you may want to be practical with your answers.

I wish to know if its an issue I have because once I start to reach a month living with anyone I start to feel like i'v overstayed.

Lest I forget too. Folks, how long would you not mind someone living with you. How long is normal?

Regards.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 26, 2012
I also wish to get answers to this question.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Kobojunkie: 7:54pm On Nov 26, 2012
richarts: How long is too long?

You have just moved into a new town and the only place you could live temporarily is with:

A married uncle,
A married aunty,
A friend with his or her family,
A family friend,
A cousin,

In the order of arrangement, how long is too long staying with this set of people. I know some of us have experiences living with someone so you may want to be practical with your answers.

I wish to know if its an issue I have because once I start to reach a month living with anyone I start to feel like i'v overstayed.

Lest I forget too. Folks, how long would you not mind someone living with you. How long is normal?

Regards.

@Poster, you need to learn to answer your own questions for yourself.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by baby124: 8:25pm On Nov 26, 2012
When you dont take up responsibility for your feeding and helping out around the house. When you start fighting someone that accommodates you, or feel entitled to stuff that is not yours. When you cross boundaries and disrespect people in their house to prove a point that you will soon be homeless. As an adult, i think 2 weeks is plenty time

3 Likes

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 26, 2012
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, you need to learn to answer your own questions for yourself.

Is this all your brain can come up with? Surely we have dearth of people with working brains on nairaland.

6 Likes

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 10:15pm On Nov 26, 2012
baby_123: When you dont take up responsibility for your feeding and helping out around the house. When you start fighting someone that accommodates you, or feel entitled to stuff that is not yours. When you cross boundaries and disrespect people in their house to prove a point that you will soon be homeless. As an adult, i think 2 weeks is plenty time

Two weeks! Seriously?.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 27, 2012
Its like peoples doesnt has anything to said.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by RudySmith(m): 12:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
Poster
It all depends on the relationship u have with that said person, and the living arrangement. If u r very tight and u r not in the way of that person's life then u can stay as long as he sees fit. But u ain't that tight with that person like that, or u r sleeping in the sofa or infringing in his family lifestyle, then this should only b a very very short stay.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Bawss1(m): 1:21pm On Nov 27, 2012
For someone who just moved into a new town his/her first order of business should be to get his/her own place ASAP. Seriously the time it takes to quickly get one's own place should be long enough. This is how it should be even if one is on very good terms with the host, anything more just gives room for resentment and contempt to creep in and soil the relationship.

However some situations may arise where the guest is not able to get his own place quickly, he should then take up some meaningful responsibility in that household that will make things somewhat better for his hosts, maybe cleaning or helping with the groceries or some other stuff. He should not assume (maybe because his hosts don't say anything) that his presence is not a burden and so should make concerted efforts to reduce the "footprints" of his stay.

I have written all this because I realize that many Nigerians don't take these kinds of things into consideration. They just move in and make life difficult for their host. I'm sick of friends telling me they need a place to stay for a week then before you know 3 months have gone by and the friend is constantly raiding your fridge without replenishing, moving your stuff around, leaving dirty laundry about and basically trying to make your once pristine home into a hog pen that any herd of pigs would envy.

7 Likes

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by dilbert100: 1:25pm On Nov 27, 2012
would depend on the relationship for one......id say a few weeks is ok
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by oladimeji101(m): 1:31pm On Nov 27, 2012
richarts: Its like peoples doesnt has anything to said.
This one na rocket gbaguan oooo :oneed to put my gbaguan prv on lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Shuen: 1:31pm On Nov 27, 2012
It all depends on the host and the behavior you put up.Some people might even find it difficult to let go of you after spending months with them,i'm talking from experience.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by dramenda(f): 1:32pm On Nov 27, 2012
immediately they start telling u to brush your teeth with salt instead of toothpaste. bro MOVE. grin
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
IF ITS IN THEIR BOYS QUARTERS I CAN LIVE FOREVER. SO LONG AS I AM GIVING THEM SOMETHING AND HELPING OUT
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by salolo(m): 1:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
is depend on the relationship you are talking about.

1 Like

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by mikedaniel76gmailcom(m): 1:37pm On Nov 27, 2012
Bawss1: For someone who just moved into a new town his/her first order of business should be to get his/her own place ASAP. Seriously the time it takes to quickly get one's own place should be long enough. This is how it should be even if one is on very good terms with the host, anything more just gives room for resentment and contempt to creep in and soil the relationship.

However some situations may arise where the guest is not able to get his own place quickly, he should then take up some meaningful responsibility in that household that will make things somewhat better for his hosts, maybe cleaning or helping with the groceries or some other stuff. He should not assume (maybe because his hosts don't say anything) that his presence is not a burden and so should make concerted efforts to reduce the "footprints" of his stay.

I have written all this because I realize that many Nigerians don't take these kinds of things into consideration. They just move in and make life difficult for their host. I'm sick of friends telling me they need a place to stay for a week then before you know 3 months have gone by and the friend is constantly raiding your fridge without replenishing, moving your stuff around, leaving dirty laundry about and basically trying to make your once pristine home into a hog pen that any herd of pigs would envy.
I lafd away ma sorrows in hausa, as soon as I arrived d last full Stop of ur post. And as a mata of fact, yoruba visitors are so fond of this.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by eikeem(m): 1:37pm On Nov 27, 2012
Bawss1: For someone who just moved into a new town his/her first order of business should be to get his/her own place ASAP. Seriously the time it takes to quickly get one's own place should be long enough. This is how it should be even if one is on very good terms with the host, anything more just gives room for resentment and contempt to creep in and soil the relationship.

Well said. Personally, I have no issue with accommodating people, as long they do the things listed above. I am not asking anybody to make any financial contribution but show some concern when our gist gets to that point. I am not asking you to pay the electricity bill, but don't wait till the PHCN guys come with their ladder before remembering that you saw the current bill somewhere and nonchalantly forgot it in your pocket!
Most importantly, my maid is a human being and must be treated as one. The day I hear any statement that sounds like "Shebi she's not doing it for free" is the day my 7-day countdown starts!
Naturally, I do not expect my guest(s) to disrespect my wife and kids.

3 Likes

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by k2039: 1:37pm On Nov 27, 2012
As long as you realise you are no longer welcomed
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by aadhirasharma4: 1:37pm On Nov 27, 2012
I don't know.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 27, 2012
leaving dirty laundry about and basically trying to make your once pristine home into a hog pen that any herd of pigs would envy.[/quote]this gat me laughing
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by EchikaChina: 1:39pm On Nov 27, 2012
baby_123: When you dont take up responsibility for your feeding and helping out around the house. When you start fighting someone that accommodates you, or feel entitled to stuff that is not yours. When you cross boundaries and disrespect people in their house to prove a point that you will soon be homeless. As an adult, i think 2 weeks is plenty time
U are definitely not a good person ........ Cant believe you said two weeks.......... What difference will two weeks make
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 27, 2012
Must everyting be asked on Nairaland? Soon d Op will ask Nairaland if he should Peep his Uncle n wife 4uckin because they leave d door open at night. angry
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Akposkool(m): 1:45pm On Nov 27, 2012
someone seriously needs english classes!
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 27, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Koolking(m): 1:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
Are you an adult? Must you move in with someone? Why not plan ahead before moving, probably move into your apartment where you will have your privacy. If you consider moving in with relatives due to circumstances beyond you, why not have a plan on how long you plan to sojourn with them. Nobody can answer this question for you. The answer is within you

1 Like

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 27, 2012
Bawss1: For someone who just moved into a new town his/her first order of business should be to get his/her own place ASAP.

Thank you! The first priority is to get your own place. We Nigerians are quite self-centred, thinking only of our own comfort. I think one month is ideal and maximum two extra weeks. Even when organisations move their staff from one city to the next (not expatriates) they will house you in a hotel for a month (maximum) and then you go look for your own place.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by crackhaus: 1:57pm On Nov 27, 2012
Hahahaha!!! You should have being one of those people. Can't stop laughing, I'm sorry.

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Catchfire1: 1:59pm On Nov 27, 2012

JESOX shocked shocked shocked

Please what is the function of the 'Report' link, I wan report this guy make the ban am 4life angry
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Nobody: 2:06pm On Nov 27, 2012
If you really cherish your relationship with whoever it is you are moving in with, never stay beyond a month. Two months maximum if you just landed a new job and gathering funds to rent your own place. If you stay longer, you will begin to see the dark side of that your friend or cousin.

Bawss1 already talked about how visitors inconvenience hosts but that is just one side of the story. When I moved to Abuja, I intended staying three months with a friend before moving to my own place and we both agreed on it. After staying barely 1 month, this my friend turned negative. He changed locks to his door etc.. Meanwhile I never ate his food or take anything except water from his fridge and even that I still replenish when its exhausted. Soap na my own, toothpaste etc..I even sweep the house every morning before I leave, Even wash dishes I didn't eat with. I am a neat person so my clothes weren't lying around. In fact, the only thing he was giving me was that corner I sleep and the bathroom I bathe in.

So I never understood his sudden change of attitude till I left. At a point I felt his GF was poisoning his mind but I don't see why, because I never had issues with her. Anyways, I finally left after staying almost 2 months to my own place.
Bottom line, regardless of how good the relationship between you and your host is, always have a contingency plan in case things go sour!

1 Like

Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by Vickivicki(m): 2:08pm On Nov 27, 2012
For the fact that we don't seem to understand ourselves at the initial stage on how long we can accomodate these people is an issue.

For me anytime one week or more is too long cos the more you stay the more you are unwanted particularly where girlfriends and wives are involved.

Na God go help us o,it shouldn't be too difficult getting an apartment for yourself but in Naija it can be like a bachelor seriously searching.
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by hrhobi1(m): 2:14pm On Nov 27, 2012
I dont know about naija oh, cause i have my own place, but for UK after 1 month dem go begin speak English for you no more pidgin as usual. hey michael you got to get an apartment soon mate, init mate .
Re: Staying With Someone: How Long Is Too Long by jigawatts(m): 2:41pm On Nov 27, 2012
ItsModella:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The GBAGAUN EFFECT

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Men Are The Most Caring In Nigeria / Always Call Your Spouse Honey It Is Both Romantic And Spiritual - Reno Omokri / First Son Named After Wife's First Love.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.