Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,528 members, 7,770,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:49 AM

Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets (16935 Views)

What’s Old Is New Again: Blackberry Launches Classic Phone With Qwerty Keyboard / Is Whatsapp Compactible With Nokia Asha 205? / Nokia Unveils Lumia 510 For Emerging Markets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by nzeasa: 4:48pm On Nov 26, 2012
Amid all the Windows Phone, luridly coloured Lumia hype, it’s easy to forget Nokia sells a far more successful line of mobile phones, based on its Series 40 OS. While it sold just 2.9 million Microsoft-powered Lumias in its fiscal Q3, sales of Nokia mobile phones totalled 76.6 million during the quarter — of which 6.5 million were its Asha full touch phones.

For a little more context, Nokia says there are 675 million “current users” of Nokia Series 40-based phones globally.

Full-touch Ashas are only a portion of the Asha range — which runs to 12 phones in total. Or it did until today as Nokia has just added another two new models to the range, due to launch in Q4: namely, the Asha 205, and a dual-SIM variant (called, obviously enough, the Asha 205 dual-SIM) which has two SIM slots to support multiple SIMs. These latest Ashas are Qwerty devices, not touchscreen handsets. But unlike previous Qwerty Ashas, such as the 201 and 302, they feature a dedicated Facebook button on the front — for jumping straight to your social network profile.

These are the first Facebook buttons Nokia has added to any of its phones.

Asked whose idea the Facebook button was — Nokia’s or Facebook’s — Neil Broadley, Director, Technology Marketing, of Nokia’s Mobile Phones division, told TechCrunch the button was developed in “joint collaboration” with Facebook. “It’s very much something we’ve developed in partnership with Facebook. It’s been a joint collaboration throughout,” he said, adding: “We talk very closely with Facebook in terms of looking at the opportunities we have.”

Of course, this is not the first Facebook button to appear on a phone. Back in 2011, HTC unboxed two phones with dedicated Facebook buttons, the HTC ChaCha and HTC Salsa — and that launch was accompanied by a video message from Zuckerberg talking up “deep social integration” as his mobile strategy of choice, rather than the fabled ‘Facebook phone’. Last year Orange and Vodafone also fired forth some own-brand handsets with Facebook buttons on board, including the Orange Alcatel One Touch 908F, Orange One Touch 813F, Orange One Touch 585F and Vodafone 555 Blue. (And most recently Orange has partnered with Facebook on a social calling service called ‘Party Call‘.)

This year, phones with Facebook buttons have been as rare as hen’s teeth — or they were until Nokia decided Facebook-branded knobs were exactly what its latest Asha phones needed. It describes the pair as the “most social” Ashas it’s made, noting they also come preloaded with a Twitter client — developed by Nokia in “partnership” with Twitter — and the eBuddy chat app.

As with other Ashas, the phones target mobile users on a budget, or who have other constraints to consider (such as limited access to high-speed data connections), and include technology such as Nokia’s Xpress Browser, which compresses webpages by up to 90 percent before delivering them to speed load times and shrink data downloads, and support for web apps such as Nokia Nearby (which taps up Nokia’s mapping assets and cell-tower positioning to offer location-based services to phones that lack GPS).

Both 205 handsets cost around $62 each, before taxes and subsidies, which Nokia said is around $10 cheaper than its previous “most affordable” Asha, the 201.

When Nokia introduced the Asha range, at Nokia World 2011, the launch focus was on developing countries, rather than mature mobile markets like Western Europe. But the rollout of Asha has been a far more global affair — the range is available in 132 markets globally, including markets in Europe such as the U.K. (Nokia claims existing Asha models feature in the top 20 handsets “in terms of volume” in the U.K. market.) Similarly, these latest Ashas will get the same 132 global markets rollout, although Nokia said the markets where it will hold launch events for the pair are India, Indonesia and Nigeria.

Slam
A new feature, developed by Nokia, which is included on the Asha 205 devices is called Slam. This is designed to make it easier for phone owners to share content from one handset to another — again, with the constrained scenario of not necessarily having high-speed cellular networks on tap, or even Wi-Fi on board (the Asha 205 handsets don’t have 3G or Wi-Fi).

Slam is effectively a simplified Bluetooth transfer, dispensing with the need to pair handsets before you can share content. The system just detects the closest compatible device and pairs automatically, before prompting the user to accept whatever content is being shared. So to send content via Slam you put your handset next to your buddy’s phone before hitting the ‘Send via Slam’ option.

Nokia said Slam works over devices with Bluetooth 2.1+EDR – so sending content isn’t just limited to the new devices announced today. Content can also be sent to Android devices, according to Nokia. It said you don’t need to have Slam on your handset to receive files; you just need Bluetooth.
Nokia 206, 206 dual-SIM

In addition to the Asha 205, and Asha 205 dual-SIM, Nokia is also beefing up its line of non-Asha Series 40 devices, with two new models: the 206 and 206 dual-SIM also announced today. These are in a range it brands simply ‘Nokia’ (plus the model number). The candy bar style 206 handsets come in a range of bright, Lumia-inspired colours (as well as black and white), and have a slightly larger screen (~10%) than existing Nokia phones of this type, such as the X2-02.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/26/the-facebook-button-is-back-on-phones-nokia-puts-social-networking-knobs-on-62-series-40-asha-205-205-dual-sim-qwerty-handsets/

Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 26, 2012
Source and u think l have got the whole time to read you CnP post?

1 Like

Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by donfemzy: 2:32pm On Nov 27, 2012
too much.....next topic
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by jamace(m): 2:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
This fone dey shine well well o. I like am. cheesy
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 27, 2012
It dosnt hav anythng tht attracts me...... Slam is just a modified name for bluetooth...
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by kennytidistar(m): 2:43pm On Nov 27, 2012
this phone looks more like Nokia X2.
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Francheezy(m): 2:44pm On Nov 27, 2012
d!z !z x2-01 nd x2
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by DANILSA(m): 2:50pm On Nov 27, 2012
shocked NA 21 CENTURY PHONE BE DIS? PICKS MY SAMSUNG AND WALKS AWAY
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by jamesbridget13(f): 2:50pm On Nov 27, 2012
Not so different from d ones we already have but i must say Nokia is trying. Tt's not really easy 2 be creative, to this end i say 2 Nokia 'Bravo'
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by dilbert100: 2:52pm On Nov 27, 2012
samsung all the way for me grin
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by stacomaster(m): 2:53pm On Nov 27, 2012
Hw Much?

1 Like

Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
Why is Nokia reverting back to my high school years? Same phones, esp the plastic fake-looking white one.
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by KINGwax(m): 3:16pm On Nov 27, 2012
Kill yourself. Nokia na pupsie! At least, they make phones available to those who aint dreamin of it. With that phone less than 10k, your stupid android can't tell the user he's a no-no. I've seen me guys who use nice pads and tablets, but rely on simple nokia for calls and battery life!
I'm a symbian fan, but i think i'm going for d windows now. At least, that's like a laptop for me. With the power point and microsoft word. Office things on the move!

1 Like

Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
Nokia doesn't want to give up.
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by slimming: 3:29pm On Nov 27, 2012
great
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by jedisco(m): 3:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
DANILSA: shocked NA 21 CENTURY PHONE BE DIS? PICKS MY SAMSUNG AND WALKS AWAY

Which Samsung BTW?
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Dygeasy(m): 3:46pm On Nov 27, 2012
^^^
R220...una remember that blue face with the antenna?

Facebook button?? Y not nairaland button?....as if d facebook sef dey interesting......
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by jedisco(m): 3:53pm On Nov 27, 2012
Dygeasy: ^^^
R220...una remember that blue face with the antenna?

Facebook button?? Y not nairaland button?....as if d facebook sef dey interesting......

Free the guy.
But NL would first have a mobile app before talking of this.
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 27, 2012
This is the phone fit to be launched here while high end phones should be launched in SA.
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Hardfact: 4:53pm On Nov 27, 2012
Good 4 naija mkt where single sim'sn't enough I guess . . .
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by GeneralGaricks: 5:25pm On Nov 27, 2012
I love Nokia. I use 3 Nokia phones.

BUT THIS STORY IS TOO LOOOOONG!!!!! shocked
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by asala1: 6:01pm On Nov 27, 2012
KINGwax: Kill yourself. Nokia na pupsie! At least, they make phones available to those who aint dreamin of it. With that phone less than 10k, your stupid android can't tell the user he's a no-no. I've seen me guys who use nice pads and tablets, but rely on simple nokia for calls and battery life!
I'm a symbian fan, but i think i'm going for d windows now. At least, that's like a laptop for me. With the power point and microsoft word. Office things on the move!

Yea, simple nokia phones are only for making calls. 21st century people want more functions on a phone than making calls. Even a line phone can do that. BTW other smart phone have all the Microsoft office applications.
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 27, 2012
Brand_new: Nokia doesn't want to give up.
Why should they?
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 27, 2012
jedisco:

Which Samsung BTW?
R220
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by texazzpete(m): 7:22pm On Nov 27, 2012
asala1:
Yea, simple nokia phones are only for making calls. 21st century people want more functions on a phone than making calls. Even a line phone can do that. BTW other smart phone have all the Microsoft office applications.

I have no words to describe how moronic you are.

This is not a smartphone. This is a feature phone with many added perks that should sell for less than 15k. This will run much better than any Android device in that price range.

Did I mention you're a slowpoke?
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by miqos02(m): 8:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
No wifi,no 3g?
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by FKO1(m): 9:18pm On Nov 27, 2012
Gud one Nokia,luv u guys fighting spirit,but i hope they dont end symbian *sumbodi should tel me to stop dreaming*.
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by asala1: 10:59pm On Nov 27, 2012
texazzpete:

I have no words to describe how moronic you are.

This is not a smartphone. This is a feature phone with many added perks that should sell for less than 15k. This will run much better than any Android device in that price range.

Did I mention you're a slowpoke?
Learn how to read and comprehend, instead of insulting. Did i call that a smart phone?
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by Nobody: 12:47am On Nov 28, 2012
i love nokia for durability and stylishness
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by texazzpete(m): 7:12am On Nov 28, 2012
asala1:
Learn how to read and comprehend, instead of insulting. Did i call that a smart phone?

So why are you comparing a feature phone with a smartphone, dummy?
Re: Nokia Unveils Asha 205, 205 Dual-SIM Qwerty Handsets by nzeasa: 3:33pm On Dec 04, 2012
aze: Source and u think l have got the whole time to read you CnP post?
stay there till eternity. mssstewwwww

(1) (Reply)

Application Not Downloading On Blackmart App / Need Help With My Opera Mini 4.2 Multi / Yahoo: Free Mtn Browesing And Loads Of Used Recharge Cards And Free Celtel Ip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.