Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,701 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge (13104 Views)

Fashola Blames Jonathan For Lekki-ikoyi Robbery / FG To File Defence In Lekki-ikoyi Bridge Suit / Fashola Inspects Ikoyi Bridge Now At 80% Completion. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 9:04pm On Nov 26, 2012
[size=14pt]Activist sues Lagos over proposed N500 toll on Lekki-Ikoyi bridge[/size]

The lawyer said the proposed N500 toll fee on the Lekki-Ikoyi Suspended Bridge is illegal.

A lawyer and human rights activist, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, on Monday sued the Lagos State Government over the proposed collection of N500 toll on the newly constructed Lekki-Ikoyi Suspended Bridge.

In the suit No. FHC/L/CS/1405/2012 before a Federal High Court in Lagos, Mr. Adegboruwa is seeking an injunction restraining the government from collecting any toll from motorists on the bridge.

The activist stated in the originating summons that reports on the proposed toll collection was published by the Guardian newspaper of October 8.

The Attorney-General of the Federation, the Attorney-General of Lagos State, and the National Inland Water ways Authority are joined in the suit as co-defendants.

The originating summons was supported by a 34-paragraph affidavit deposed to by the applicant.

Mr. Adegboruwa argued that the toll of N500 per vehicle is uncalled for in view of the hardship, hunger and unemployment in Nigeria.

He claimed that the bridge was built on a federal navigable waterway belonging to the Federal Government.

Mr. Adegboruwa also wants the court to determine whether the LASG has the power to erect any structure such as a bridge on the Lagos Lagoon and the Lekki Lagoon which, he said, were categorised by law as federal navigable waterways.

He also wants the court to determine whether the state government is competent to impose any toll or tax on such a bridge.

He argues that collection of such a toll or tax from Nigerians contravenes their fundamental right to free movement.

Also, the lawyer claims that the imposition of such a levy on road users will prevent them from using the bridge and constitute discrimination and violation of the rights of the road users.

The applicant seeks a declaration that the imposition of a toll, fee or tariff on road users is illegal and inconsistent with the Nigeria’s Constitution.

The case is yet to be assigned to a judge.

NAN

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/108723-activist-sues-lagos-over-proposed-n500-toll-on-lekki-ikoyi-bridge.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=activist-sues-lagos-over-proposed-n500-toll-on-lekki-ikoyi-bridge

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by geez1: 9:24pm On Nov 26, 2012
Just another attention seeking lawyer

Does he have a clear background on the position of the bridge and its funding structure? Aren't there even tolled roads built by governments in other climes? Like I said and still insist, you don't have to ply the bridge to move from Lekki to Ikoyi. Would this argument have come up if the bridge wasn't erected. It's a matter if choice dunce

Even the Lagos-Badagry Expresway which the government has raised bonds to build will be tolled but guess what, the service lane won't be tolled and is an alternative road even though its expected to be more congested

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by acidtalk: 9:45pm On Nov 26, 2012
REVOLUTION! REVOLUTION!! REVOLUTION!!!

That's all Nigeria needs to get better.

Where else on this earth except Nigeria will the government use Tax payers money to do road and still fine the same people for the usage of it not like it was a concessioning deal or private partnership deal..

A country filled with so much riches but yet the people drown in so much poverty.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by idupaul: 9:50pm On Nov 26, 2012
Even though I was against the tolling of the Lekki corridor I don't think tolling that bridge is wrong afterall there was no bridge there before so Mr Lawyer can follow where him de follow before... And pls can't can we stop calling that bridge a suspension bridge cos that bridge and suspended on those fancy strings , its all cosmetic
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by kulikuli26: 10:46pm On Nov 26, 2012
Honestly it beat my imagination hw folks come here praising fashola cos for me lagos state gets so much interms of revenue which doesn't match the devt on ground.the state govt enter concession agreement to build major roads and public utilities are even privatised,yet the state rank high interms of debts,den u ask ursef where is the money goinwe must begin to ask questions its obvious this is not adding up at all.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by 7lives: 1:34am On Nov 27, 2012
naptu2:

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/108723-activist-sues-lagos-over-proposed-n500-toll-on-lekki-ikoyi-bridge.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=activist-sues-lagos-over-proposed-n500-toll-on-lekki-ikoyi-bridge

The Lagos state government is not responsible for all the highlighted, so the lawyer should take his complains to the federal government at Abuja, he should ask for a guy call Goodluck, if he ever made it to aso rock.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by obailala(m): 1:41am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:
Just an attention seeking hungry lawyer
When our dracula politicians read comments like yours, all they do is smile and pop some more champagne cos they know the people they rule are idiots.

Tolling isn't much of a problem but I think N500 is way out of order especially considering the Nigerian economy

21 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Basic(m): 1:48am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:
I hate brainless people like you. The government keeps introducing tyrannical policies, and yet people like you would never stop complaining.
And now, someone took it upon himself to defend you and many others, you're spewing bulls.hit.
Why not wait till the policy is implemented and ply that route (if you have a car) regularly? Then, you'll know how inhumane it is for a government to impose such illegal fees on people.
And if I may guess, one of these apply to you:
- You're a jungle dweller who has lost every hope of ever having a cause to ply the Lekki route; or
- You hope to be among the thieves who'll steal and lavish the N500 to be imposed; or
- You don't understand English (so you don't even get what the lawyer is fighting for); or
- You've just gone prematurely senile. Nonsense!
May God not let people like you find a way to the leadership of this country.

34 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Horus(m): 1:50am On Nov 27, 2012

Ikoyi-Lekki Bridge
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by peckhamboi: 1:54am On Nov 27, 2012
Horus:

Ikoyi-Lekki Bridge

Wow impressive

Is that the real picture and has it been completed?
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by say4gunit(m): 1:55am On Nov 27, 2012
obailala: When our dracula politicians read comments like yours, all they do is smile and pop some more champagne cos they know the people they rule are idiots.

Tolling isn't much of a problem but I think N500 is way out of order especially considering the Nigerian economy
God bless you my brother!

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Kobojunkie: 2:02am On Nov 27, 2012
Naira 500(per day) in a country where minimum wage is still at about Naira 18,000 per month? Na wa oo!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Horus(m): 2:09am On Nov 27, 2012
peckhamboi:

Wow impressive

Is that the real picture and has it been completed?

Yes that is the real picture, the bridge is almost completed but there are still some finishing touches left.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by OneDemola: 2:47am On Nov 27, 2012
The reason toll charge is high is because it is not supposed to compete with the LCC toll (that one is another ridiculous story on its own). The honest truth is that this lekki-ikoyi bridge is supposed to be seen as an 'optional' route, not an 'alternative- just to speak to the logic of the project.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by naptu2: 3:38am On Nov 27, 2012
OneDemola: The reason toll charge is high is because it is not supposed to compete with the LCC toll (that one is another ridiculous story on its own). The honest truth is that this lekki-ikoyi bridge is supposed to be seen as an 'optional' route, not an 'alternative- just to speak to the logic of the project.

Exactly!

I don't know where he got the 500 naira figure from, but I always expected that the toll on the bridge would be higher than the toll on the expressway.

The idea being that: -

1) You can take the alternative route around Oniru Estate if you don't want to pay any tolls (the road is narrower).

2) You can take the expressway and pay the toll (Commercial buses/Danfo = 80 naira, cars = 120, SUV = 150, Trucks = 250 & 350). Most people use the expressway.

3) You can use the bridge, which would be much faster, but more expensive. Commercial buses would not be allowed to use the bridge (they are not allowed into Lekki Phase 1).

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by diehard1: 4:38am On Nov 27, 2012
Kobojunkie: Naira 500(per day) in a country where minimum wage is still at about Naira 18,000 per month? Na wa oo!
No tolling is not done per day but each time one passes. I don't know if 500 is the toll for the bridge
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Blendy77(f): 4:55am On Nov 27, 2012
I live on that axis and was actually looking forward to the completion of the bridge. We knew somehow that the bridge will be towed but N500 is too much on a bridge that was built with tax payers money. They have done well by erecting a bridge to reduce travel time to and from the office but then Lagos State consists of more of average salary earners than the rich. The alternative road to the express has been partially blocked by reasons best known to the state govt and LCC otherwise with an suv one can conveniently pass thro the sand road to VI. I love Fashola for his creativity and innovative mindset but making Lagos a town for only the rich is what I don't like about his government.
The lawyer should concentrate on the reduction of the toll fare rather than making a case on federal and state waterways.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Jerie(m): 4:56am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:

Stray sp.erms like you are one of the reasons I believe condoms should be free and abortion should be legalized.

16 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by salolo(m): 4:59am On Nov 27, 2012
GOOD
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by iykak47: 5:06am On Nov 27, 2012
Jerie:

Stray sp.erms like you are one of the reasons I believe condoms should be free and abortion should be legalized.
Gbam

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by miky(m): 5:08am On Nov 27, 2012
acidtalk: REVOLUTION! REVOLUTION!! REVOLUTION!!!

Where else on this earth except Nigeria will the government use Tax payers money to do road and still fine the same people for the usage of it not like it was a consetioning deal or private partnership deal..

A country filled with so much riches but yet the people drown in so much poverty.

the government contributed zilch in the construction of the bridge dude..

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by rbjimoh: 5:11am On Nov 27, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
naptu2:
Is not better that now that government sold bond and made use of the proceed to make life easier for people? And where do people expect the government to meet its interest obligation on the loan it has taken to achieve the feat?

I don't know where he got the 500 naira figure from, but I always expected that the toll on the bridge would be higher than the toll on the expressway.

The idea being that: -

1) You can take the alternative route around Oniru Estate if you don't want to pay any tolls (the road is narrower).

2) You can take the expressway and pay the toll (Commercial buses/Danfo = 80 naira, cars = 120, SUV = 150, Trucks = 250 & 350). Most people use the expressway.

3) You can use the bridge, which would be much faster, but more expensive. Commercial buses would not be allowed to use the bridge (they are not allowed into Lekki Phase 1).
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by koruji(m): 5:20am On Nov 27, 2012
When we say sue the Lagos state government for unjust laws we are not talking about this type.
Government has the power to charge a rate on a service they provide.
[size=14pt]That the government used tax payer's money to build infrastructure doesn't mean it should be free!!![/size]

In fact, this particular road was a public-private deal - this is however besides the point.

The only argument would be if the charge can be shown to be non-comparable to similar services all over the country or in comparable nations.
That would be hard to prove.

I am waiting for someone serious to sue over that law prescribing a 1-year jail for driving against traffic.

acidtalk: REVOLUTION! REVOLUTION!! REVOLUTION!!!

Where else on this earth except Nigeria will the government use Tax payers money to do road and still fine the same people for the usage of it not like it was a consetioning deal or private partnership deal..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Nobody: 5:28am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:

C, yu afford it
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by salolo(m): 6:01am On Nov 27, 2012
go on sir we support u
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by boladez(m): 6:11am On Nov 27, 2012
Good one that people are challenging Government.

However I laud what the LASG has done and indeed Lekki is not a low income area let the rich who want to beat VI traffic pay to use the bridge. LASG can then provide small boats for a cheaper rate.

LASG under BRF is doing a marvelous job. The Government cannot please EVERYBODY but at least let it be seen that people in government are thinking of good of the people. Some claim fashola is elitist and working only for the elites , good for us, tomorrow a populist government will take care of the teeming populace abi?

The bad thing in government is to sit and watch while citizens are being killed and maimed and not GIVE A DAMN!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by samchide(m): 6:23am On Nov 27, 2012
geez*:

Words can't define how empty and brainless you are, sure you will always remain in the darkness where you belong cause you are dumb. Fck off this page

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by Shittaakeem(m): 6:25am On Nov 27, 2012
kulikuli26: Honestly it beat my imagination hw folks come here praising fashola cos for me lagos state gets so much interms of revenue which doesn't match the devt on ground.the state govt enter concession agreement to build major roads and public utilities are even privatised,yet the state rank high interms of debts,den u ask ursef where is the money goinwe must begin to ask questions its obvious this is not adding up at all.
for the love of God stop critisizing fashola do u think it is easy to rule lagos. My God I don't know what is wrong with u people. All the good things fashola have done to lagos which order state governor can do it
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by seunfly: 6:26am On Nov 27, 2012
Is it not better to have the infrastructures and pay for their uses than not having anything at all?
Can we do something to make government to reduce the toll fee?
Seriously i will like it if government can provide standard infrastructure every where in the city with sensible toll to make live comfortable for peaple.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by ba7man(m): 6:31am On Nov 27, 2012
They are probably charging for not only the convenience but the beauty of the bridge. When has such project been carried out in Nigeria of recent. Well, if I can't afford the N500, I'd probably just arrange my N120 change for the Lekki-toll and enjoy the view as i drive-by, there are cheaper optional routes.
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by biolabee(m): 6:44am On Nov 27, 2012
the bridge is a good idea but i dont think it should be tolled.. tax shd be able to finance sth like this

it is owned by the govt so a concession or Build Operate Trasnfer arrangement should suffice whereby the govt pays a lease fee to the concessionaire for a period of 25 years and it reverts to LASG after that

If it is a private owned bridge then a toll is ok
However 500 is to much for the bridge.. a more reasonable charge will have been 100- 200
Where does the bridge terminate?
Re: Lagos Sued For Proposed N500 Toll On Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge by feathers007: 6:57am On Nov 27, 2012
koruji: When we say sue the Lagos state government for unjust laws we are not talking about this type.
Government has the power to charge a rate on a service they provide.
[size=14pt]That the government used tax payer's money to build infrastructure doesn't mean it should be free!!![/size]

In fact, this particular road was a public-private deal - this is however besides the point.

The only argument would be if the charge can be shown to be non-comparable to similar services all over the country or in comparable nations.
That would be hard to prove.

I am waiting for someone serious to sue over that law prescribing a 1-year jail for driving against traffic.

u are getting it wrong mister. State or local Government don't just build road / bridges and start tolling it. Fashola got it wrong from the lekki toll gate and now to this one. The residents of the communities weren't taken into consideration when all this tolled roads were being built. The residents had a right to vote for or against the building of tolled roads. There was meant to be a stakeholders meeting were residents can decide they don't want the project to proceed. Now after some of them are late, there children would still be paying these charges they know nothing about. Fashola's government is very dictatorial. Years of military government has really affected the thoughts process of an average naija man including the president dat doesn't give a damn.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Onnoghen Appeals Conviction By CCT / NASS Snubs Southern Governors, Excludes State Police From 68 Amendments / Why South-East Should Produce Nigeria’s President – Doyin Okupe Writes APC, PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.