Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? (9388 Views)

Would You Delay Your Wedding If Your Elder Sibling(s) Is Still Unmarried? / He/she Is 'just A Friend'.12 Signs Of An Emotional Infidelity / Can You Attend The Marriage Of A Gay Brother Or Relative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by 2scorehigh(m): 10:08am On Nov 28, 2012
A close friend of ours is having a wedding. Some of our friends said they won't be attending unless they were formally invited either verbally or through invitation card.

Sensing some animosity mixed with pomposity there, I tried to be diplomatic by telling them that from my own experience, sometimes the celebrants or organizers of such functions 'neglect' close friends simply because s/he has already assumed that such friends know that they don't actually need any formal invitation to be invited since they are his/her homies. Besides, the number of people to be invited might be so big that some people might not get the invitation cards.

They vehemently disagreed with me by saying that on the contrary, it means such a friend doesn't value you or your friendship at all, or s/he thinks you cannot give him a substantial amount of money or present and so your attending will only prove you are a 'long throat' person...

So what about you? What do you think? Will you attend a friend's wedding if you were not formally invited? Will you remind or even demand an invitation from such type of friend assuming s/he fails to invite you?
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by homedesign: 11:02am On Nov 28, 2012
If the person is really close then I will attend with or without an invite but that is if it is in Nigeria where we know 'everyone' is inherently invited! But if its outside the country, I may ask for an invite, just to be on the safe side.

3 Likes

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by slimyem: 11:22am On Nov 28, 2012
It depends and is discretionary...
For really close friends,i don't need an invite to know i have to be there.....but for acquaintances,casual friends or old-disconnected friends,i definitely need an invite!!

1 Like

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by UnknownMember: 3:43pm On Nov 28, 2012
It will depend on what I suspect to be the reason for my not being invited.. If it is malicious or just an omission.

1 Like

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2012
If you are not invited,it means you were never wanted there.stay away !

3 Likes

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by JAMBSOFTWARE: 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2012
I no fit try go....

If u mistakenly break bottle, dem go say, "hmmm. Who invited this one sef?? Nw he dn break one bottle here"

3 Likes

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by johnkent(m): 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2012
You don't attend a wedding you're not invited to regardless of how close you are to the bride or groom. If they really want you there, you would have been invited.

2 Likes

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Dygeasy(m): 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2012
How would you feel when you get to the venue of the reception and the bouncer/gateman or whatever they call those at the entrance tell you it is strictly by invitation?

1 Like

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Dopefiend(m): 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
Depends on d closeness.some friends won't bother tellin u cos dey expext u to use ur discretion(howeva dat only applies to close frnds).
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by david52: 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
As a typical omoluabi, I wont go too
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by AkinDavid2: 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
I have done that in the past and my friend later apologized. Definitely there could be more reason than omission
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by manny4life(m): 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
slimyem: It depends and is discretionary...
For really close friends,i don't need an invite to know i have to be there.....but for acquaintances,casual friends or old-disconnected friends,i definitely need an invite!!

Exactly!

@OP, close friends don't need invitation, and whatever happened to asking? Formal invitation has it's own limitation, in fact the friends seeking formal invitation disappointed me. Formal invitation is just a respectful way of asking someone to do you the honor of coming out to your event which applies to people who you may or may not know directly.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by johnkent(m): 3:46pm On Nov 28, 2012
Unknown Member: It will depend on what I suspect to be the reason for my not being invited.. If it is malicious or just an omission.
What is malicious about someone not inviting you to their wedding?? Weddings are expensive and most people can't afford to feed y'all. Sit your ass home if you're not invited!!
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by johnkent(m): 3:47pm On Nov 28, 2012
manny4life:

Exactly!

@OP, close friends don't need invitation, and whatever happened to asking? Formal invitation has it's own limitation, in fact the friends seeking formal invitation disappointed me. Formal invitation is just a respectful way of asking someone to do you the honor of coming out to your event which applies to people who you may or may not know directly.
Go look up the definition of an invitation and then come back and repost.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 28, 2012
If it's strictly not by invitation, I'll go.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by carsellerz: 3:49pm On Nov 28, 2012
dont say i am a gate crasher..i even attended one last month..but it was due to the fact that I was not always around for him to have officially invited me..all the same
if he/she is my friend, it will do me a great honor to be there..shekinaaaaa
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by UnknownMember: 3:51pm On Nov 28, 2012
johnkent:
What is malicious about someone not inviting you to their wedding?? Weddings are expensive and most people can't afford to feed y'all. Sit your ass home if you're not invited!!

You dont get it...

My homeboy is having a wedding, does it look to you like my attending is to go and feed or to go and share his day with him?!

If its a case of we had beef and he decides not to invite me, then thats malicious, but if its a case of 'I forgot to invite you', then Imma show up and surprise him/her anyways..

Not everyone attends a function because of food.. I dont even eat cooked food at such occasions..

3 Likes

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by carsellerz: 3:52pm On Nov 28, 2012
johnkent:

Then he can issue out "INFORMAL" invites as well
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by manny4life(m): 3:53pm On Nov 28, 2012
johnkent:

Expert, please explain to the novice without knowledge what an invitation is.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by salolo(m): 3:56pm On Nov 28, 2012
yes
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 28, 2012
It depends on the level of our friendship.

If a close friend had already informed me of his or her wedding and probably requested i help out with the plans and events,i wouldn't expect a formal invitation.

But there are some friends i will require such formal invitation before attenting.

2scorehigh: or s/he thinks you cannot give him a substantial amount of money or present and so your attending will only prove you are a 'long throat' person...

However,We need to stop this our mentality of organising events to make money out of them. Its really annoys me. Plan events according to your financial capacity,not expecting people to give gifts and monies or to make profit out of your occasion.

2 Likes

Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 28, 2012
Sometimes the reason behind omission is usually bc of how busy the celebrant is; anyway a close fren deserves an invite it might not be formal per se but word of mouth. In the absence of word of mouth then I will assume you don't want me there.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 28, 2012
jammyng: If it's strictly not by invitation, I'll go.

Things must hard at your end grin

1 Like

Sometimes the reason behind omission is usually bc of how busy the celebrant is; anyway a close fren deserves an invite it might not be formal per se but word of mouth. In the absence of word of mouth then I will assume you don't want me there or I am irrelevant.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by ESULAALU: 4:03pm On Nov 28, 2012
Unknown Member:

You dont get it...

My homeboy is having a wedding, does it look to you like my attending is to go and feed or to go and share his day with him?!

If its a case of we had beef and he decides not to invite me, then thats malicious, but if its a case of 'I forgot to invite you', then Imma show up and surprise him/her anyways..

Not everyone attends a function because of food.. I dont even eat cooked food at such occasions..

GOOD! KEEPING IT CLEAN. HOW FAST YOU LEARN PADWAAR. DONT ABUSE IT THOUGH,INSULT ANYONE AND I WILL BE BACK ON YOUR CASE.
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 28, 2012
If I am invited whether verbally or formally be sure I will be there anything outside that count me out.even if the person na my papa. That's my principle. That shows you have self worth
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by playahP(m): 4:06pm On Nov 28, 2012
I'd stay home and smoke my weed cos that's juss all I need!
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by dilbert100: 4:08pm On Nov 28, 2012
no
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by emmaatuo(m): 4:08pm On Nov 28, 2012
Its simple, if u don't invite me, I assume u don't want me there... For crying out loud, how difficult is it to invite someone? Informal or formal
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by shekone(m): 4:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
as for me its depends on d kinda frnd...if its a really really close frnd ehen!.. no need...buh if jst lik frnd frnd......seriously i Ian gate crashing d weddin....
Re: Will You Attend A Friend's Wedding If You Were Not Invited? by Bongii04: 4:13pm On Nov 28, 2012
I wudnt attend such o,especially if i ws informed by a stranger.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Things Every African Immigrant Can Relate To / My Wedding Is In A Week And I Have Pimples All Over My Face. Help! / 5 Tips For Blending Into A New Culture When You Relocate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.