Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,954 members, 7,806,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

Do Nigerians Really Know The Real Meaning Of The Word "Sigh"? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do Nigerians Really Know The Real Meaning Of The Word "Sigh"? (1891 Views)

Ebooks, Do Nigerians Really Buy Them ? / Define "Life" Without Using The Word "A" And "IS" / Do Nigerians Read/Buy Comic Books? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do Nigerians Really Know The Real Meaning Of The Word "Sigh"? by Mentcee(m): 5:33pm On Nov 28, 2012
I seem to get confused when Nigerians refer to the word "sigh" as being one or two different oral/nasal activities. I really am.

The Merridien Webster refers to it as
" sigh/sī/Verb: Emit a long, deep, audible breath expressing sadness, relief, or tiredness

Noun:A long, deep, audible exhalation expressing sadness, relief, tiredness, or a similar feeling"

But oftentimes Nigerians especially on NL refer to the traditional salivery sucking sound made by the lips, teeth and tongue as sighing I.e. the sound recently represented as " mtchew" on social fora. Some even refer to it as "hissing".

However, I know the movies etc I'v watched tend to agree with the dictionary meaning above. Or do we have our own African pattern of sighing or even signing as some prefer to call it?

It'd be appreciated if someone'd help to throw more light on this issue which I think most Nigerians esp. on NL have fallen into a painful albeit ignorant misaprehension of!
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know The Real Meaning Of The Word "Sigh"? by ARareGem(f): 5:17pm On Oct 17, 2013
Lol. It's true. Many persons mistake a sigh for a hiss. Writers especially should take note of the difference.

(1) (Reply)

Inspiration For Hustlers...guys / Debunking English Grammar Myths / Nigerian Pidgin English Poetry Book By Chidi Anthony Opara Released Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.