Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card (3183 Views)

INEC To Postpone 2015 Elections For Six Weeks / INEC To Decide On Poll Shift Saturday / "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by Fatdon(m): 8:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
The Chairman, IndependentNational Electoral Commission (INEC) Prof. Attahiru Jega, said on Wednesday that the commission was ready to issue permanent electronic voters' card that would be valid for 10 years. ``With the design of the card and specification it will serve for an average of 10 years, as it could also be used for the 2019 elections.'' He said in Abuja that the electronic voters' card would eliminate electoral fraud and ensure credible and transparent polls.

Speaking at an INEC/civil society dialogue on plans and progress towards the 2015 elections, Jega said that was as a result of the features on the electronic card, which, he added, included micro testing security, hologram, and finger prints. ``The cards will be an electronic card to be used for identification, authentication and for voting, also it will prevent multiple voting and frauds.

The chairman said that card readers would take the finger print and determine the legitimacy of the owners of the card and that it would be used during the 2015 elections. He said with the introduction of card readers, matching the electoral manipulations and fraudulent activities of people buying voters card and multiple voting would be eliminated.

``There is a lot of work to be done, we have to procure card readers and we have started this, we have made budget for it and we are receiving support. ``This budget year we are buying 500 and under the 2013/14 budget we are buying the rest, so by 2015 there will be enough card readers to deploy to polling units to ensure 100 per cent authentication. Jega said INEC would commence the issuance of permanent voters' card early in 2013, as the contract for the production of 40 million voters registered card out of the 73.5 million registered had been awarded.

He said INEC was doing the last stage of the processing of the second batch of the contract and by the middle of 2014 all the eligible voters that had registered would have been given their permanent voters' card. ``There are 73.5 million eligible voters but for the first phase we will
print 40 million and another part of it for completion is in the budget for 2012," he said. He said the idea of doing voter registration once on the eve of election was now a thing of the past.

``There is a continuing process of registration in which any person who is eligible as required by the law can go to an established office and be registered. ``There are so many processes of this globally and INEC is embracing the best methodology, which will be launched nationwide next year. He said the beauty of the exercise was that most of the displaced people with adequate information and evidence would be re- registered.

``In Kogi, two of INEC offices were affected by the flood disaster, as we lost valuable items, but we must move ahead and will never allow the negative consequences of disaster to affect our job.'' He said INEC has enough Direct Data Capture Machines (DDC) bought for the 2011 general elections and the commission has identified the quantity required for the exercise.

www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/latest/48238-inec-to-issue-10-year-permanent-electronic-voters-card-
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by Kobojunkie: 8:42pm On Nov 28, 2012
10-year permanent?
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 28, 2012
Kobojunkie: 10-year permanent?

lol
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by danjohn: 9:30pm On Nov 28, 2012

lol
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by FASTLINK1: 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
Better, as long as there's no further request for an extra allocation, hence making it obvious as an another avenue to waste tax payers money, and btw, how on earth is this gonna check electoral fraud when unregistered voters can still be allowed to vote not to talk of the electoral officials that do the thump printing by themselves to favor their favorite candidate.

The only way this would work is by the use of electronic voting system, thereby detect multiple voting, anything short of it is like selling a monkey to buy a dog!
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by FASTLINK1: 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2012
This post suppose dey hidden!

1 Like

Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by fatdon2(m): 8:08am On Nov 29, 2012
true talk..
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by logica(m): 8:54am On Nov 29, 2012
Long-term more like. grin
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by philhappy(m): 9:03am On Nov 29, 2012
How about the under age that could later be eligible before the elapse of the 10years?

1 Like

Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:07am On Nov 29, 2012
FAST-LINK:
Better, as long as there's no further request for an extra allocation, hence making it obvious as an another avenue to waste tax payers money, and btw, how on earth is this gonna check electoral fraud when unregistered voters can still be allowed to vote not to talk of the electoral officials that do the thump printing by themselves to favor their favorite candidate.

The only way this would work is by the use of electronic voting system, thereby detect multiple voting, anything short of it is like selling a monkey to buy a dog!

True talk bro.. JEGA has started again.. so we go the electronic route only to commence manual voting when the time comes.. I can see Zinox hovering in the background..whatever happened to the N6.2 billion for converting captured data into digital format.. i thought they were already captured digitally grin grin grin grin grin Nigeria for you right there.. We will never change hence never grow
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by virginvampire(m): 9:08am On Nov 29, 2012
Is voting the most important thing in Nigeria...inec seemd to be enjoying the Job...well 79billion no be moi moi
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by staaari: 9:09am On Nov 29, 2012
Corrupt country!

There is FG identity smart card, there is INEC voters card and all sorts of card!!!

The fundamental remains that Local Government level is best placed to issue ID Smart Card that would equally be used for voting, banking activity.
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by gaddafe(m): 9:24am On Nov 29, 2012
As far as i am concerned this is a good development. Except that there are some problems with this development. take for example, if i travelled to Edo state to visit my friends it happens that there is election and i vote, two months later i'm in Ondo state to resume my job. will i be allowed to vote? knowing that the two states elections hold differently and the lga elections are also going to be holding differently
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by Nobody: 9:33am On Nov 29, 2012
We de wait una
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by UnknownMember: 9:34am On Nov 29, 2012
- Electronic voters card is good as an idea in itself.

- But how does a country where there is no light, where the Internet and I.T in general is still very alien to us intend to make this work?! The problems people faced during the voters registration is still fresh on our minds. Some machines werent working, some polling areas had to bring their own generators that broke down half way through, e.t.c.

- Those communities that are located in remote and hard to reach places (where even mobile phone signals dont exist) would not benefit from this scheme.

- 10 years is rather too long.. I would suggest 4 years max. the same duration that every elected official is supposed to last in office. This way, verification of voters would be done before each election to ensure that dead card holders are deleted from the system and also weed out electronic rigging.

-
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by chakpe: 9:56am On Nov 29, 2012
Jega Should Shut-up the thrash!
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by FASTLINK1: 10:12am On Nov 29, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

True talk bro.. JEGA has started again.. so we go the electronic route only to commence manual voting when the time comes.. I can see Zinox hovering in the background..whatever happened to the N6.2 billion for converting captured data into digital format.. i thought they were already captured digitally grin grin grin grin grin Nigeria for you right there.. We will never change hence never grow

To me, something like national identity card or international passport is far better than the so called voters' card, with the person's year of birth clearly written in it, one becomes eligible immediately he/she is 18, and that can always be verify in the data base.
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by basadenet: 10:32am On Nov 29, 2012
Right move towards right direction. JEGA you are too much oooooooo.
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by ESULAALU: 10:53am On Nov 29, 2012
Unknown Member: - Electronic voters card is good as an idea in itself.

- But how does a country where there is no light, where the Internet and I.T in general is still very alien to us intend to make this work?! The problems people faced during the voters registration is still fresh on our minds. Some machines werent working, some polling areas had to bring their own generators that broke down half way through, e.t.c.

- Those communities that are located in remote and hard to reach places (where even mobile phone signals dont exist) would not benefit from this scheme.

- 10 years is rather too long.. I would suggest 4 years max. the same duration that every elected official is supposed to last in office. This way, verification of voters would be done before each election to ensure that dead card holders are deleted from the system and also weed out electronic rigging.

-

TALKING LIKE SOMEONE WHO CAN THINK ABI? DOESNT STOP YOU FROM BEING THE PROPER ASSWIPE.
GET BACK TO YOUR CAGE,DOG!
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by Melancholy(m): 11:11am On Nov 29, 2012
Long term of this voters card is good.But that is if nigeria still remain one entity till then.
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by sayso: 11:23am On Nov 29, 2012
Now they have given them people the opportunity to prepare their rigging program for Ten years. Foolishness in high places.
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by ojbaba95(m): 12:29pm On Nov 29, 2012
Thiefsssssss!
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by erinolu(m): 1:02pm On Nov 29, 2012
This is one news that has gladdened my heart
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by froz(m): 2:04pm On Nov 29, 2012
ok, me way participate in registering people and was registered in my nysc state(ebonyi),how will i get my perm voters card now that im in oyo? undecidedok, me way participate in registering people and was registered in my nysc state(ebonyi),how will i get my perm voters card now that im in oyo?
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by citizenisb: 2:09pm On Nov 29, 2012
FOR NIGERIAN YOUTHS TO BE DISCUSSING BIAFRA WHEN THE ELITE ARE OPENLY LOOTING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS MEANT FOR NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN 2012 GOES TO SHOW HOW DAFT WE ARE.

MANY ON THIS FORUM WHERE NOT EVEN ALIVE DURING THE CARNAGE SO IF YOU THINK THAT WAS GENOCIDE, A GREATER ONE VIA CORRUPTION IS HAPPENING NOW WITH HUNGER, UNEMPLOYMENT AND MASS DEATH OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN AT CHILDBIRTH AND MALARIA SCOURGES WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN HISTORY IF NOT FOR BAD LEADERSHIP.

LET US KEEP ON PLAYING TO OUR LEADERS TUNES SINCE WE LOVE TO CONFIRM HOW DAFT WE ARE : TALKING OF BIAFRA WHEN SINCE 1999 WE HAVE HAD MORE MONEY THAN OUR ENTIRE HISTORY COMBINED TO HAVE TRANSFORMED US TO BRAZIL OR SOUTH KOREA, IT IS A PITY!!
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by NdaColly(m): 5:25pm On Nov 29, 2012
Kai Mallam l no gree for dis one. You wan chop money. You no envisage change in technology.
Re: INEC To Issue 10- Year Permanent Electronic Voters' Card by tesimola4real(m): 8:08am On Nov 30, 2012
story

(1) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Recruiter Arrested In Maiduguri / OAU Students Stone Jonathan, Ekiti Obas, And Governor Fayose; & Chased Them Out / What Will Be The Fate Of The Minister Of Agriculture In GMB Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.