Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage (1303 Views)

Up And Down Christian Marriage / Is MouthAction Okay In Christian Marriage? / The Duration Of Courtship And Purpose Of Courtship In Christian Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by diva90: 5:17am On Nov 29, 2012
I was born and raised catholic . My boy frnd is Protestant. My parents hv disapproved of the union because he is non catholic. cry I don't knw what to do. Pls advice me. Also is it really bad for one to marry frm outside his/her denomination?
Ps: this is normal with most catholic parents
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by JameyMaxwell(m): 6:12am On Nov 29, 2012
Yh. I xee tinz lyke diz on the reg.
It feelz lyke arranged marriage in a way...
Itz a pity parentz put too much emphasis on the requirement for deir childrenz marriage instead of being content their wardz are doing it for love & Happy wif their partners ....
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by k2039: 7:44am On Nov 29, 2012
Ofcourse they have their reasons because their will likely be conflicts in faith later in the future.

Have you thought about how you want your chiildrent to be raised,do you want the, to be raised catholic and do you think he will agree to that.

You have to understand that he may likely agree to every requirement you ask of him now,but when you eventualy get married,he will demand you follow his own way since he is the head.

If you are willing to renounce catholism or allow your children to be raised non catholic,then I see no reason why you shouldnt marry him but if otherwise,then your parents might have a point.
They probably have seen most of marriages like this and how it turned out to be.

Understand Love is not sufficient to have a blissful marriage,compatibility and other factors must be factored in.

2 Likes

Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by tobechi74: 9:18am On Nov 29, 2012
Ur parent can only advice nd sugest.d last decision is urs to make.

U nid to discus wit ur patner to be

wil u do a church weding? Where? Catholic or protestant? Each church has its rules. Wil each patner continue in church or wil one have to change church? Etc
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by tpia1: 9:28am On Nov 29, 2012
^true that.
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by diva90: 6:09am On Dec 09, 2012
k2039: Ofcourse they have their reasons because their will likely be conflicts in faith later in the future.

Have you thought about how you want your chiildrent to be raised,do you want the, to be raised catholic and do you think he will agree to that.

You have to understand that he may likely agree to every requirement you ask of him now,but when you eventualy get married,he will demand you follow his own way since he is the head.

If you are willing to renounce catholism or allow your children to be raised non catholic,then I see no reason why you shouldnt marry him but if otherwise,then your parents might have a point.
They probably have seen most of marriages like this and how it turned out to be.

Understand Love is not sufficient to have a blissful marriage,compatibility and other factors must be factored in.

Well said
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by advocate666: 10:19am On Dec 09, 2012
If you are letting your parents decide your matrimonial life, then you are not yet ready to get married. Wait till you are able to make your own decisions.

1 Like

Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by true2god: 11:46am On Dec 09, 2012
B4 xtainity in africa there were inter-tribal marriages and the pple were happy. I think pple are takin many things out of context and besides many parents want their daughters to 'settle-down' with a 'bigman'. That good by the way.

But my opinion is that if that prostestant is highly 'loaded' and vry successfull all those conditions will not count. Its all about what is stand to gain. Catholics are not always discriminatory wen it comes to the issue of marriage. This incident is a one-off thing.

I am not a catholic sha.
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:37pm On Dec 09, 2012
true2god: B4 xtainity in africa there were inter-tribal marriages and the pple were happy. I think pple are takin many things out of context and besides many parents want their daughters to 'settle-down' with a 'bigman'. That good by the way.

But my opinion is that if that prostestant is highly 'loaded' and vry successfull all those conditions will not count. Its all about what is stand to gain. Catholics are not always discriminatory wen it comes to the issue of marriage. This incident is a one-off thing.

I am not a catholic sha.

No there were no inter-tribal marriages! angry angry angry angry

or else the tribes would have become extinct by now.

anyways the point is that , religion hardly maters when it comes to marriage. it is tribe.ethnicity and bloodline that matters. so dont see what religion he/she is . even if he is Pagan like me, marry him, aslong as he/she is from your tribe and is of your blood. cool
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2012
diva90: I was born and raised catholic . My boy frnd is Protestant. My parents hv disapproved of the union because he is non catholic. cry I don't knw what to do. Pls advice me. Also is it really bad for one to marry frm outside his/her denomination?

Good day,

I saw your post and really wasn't happy with the thought that your parents might want to decide who you can or cannot marry. But your post in the most recent thread you created suggests that this might not be true afterall. The post:

diva90: What does it mean when a guy doesn't call anymore, does it mean he has lost interest? I'm so angry and disappointed even though I am trying hard to be strong about it. I gave my heart to this guy only for us to have a series of arguments of recent and then he suddenly doesn't call me anymore. He has refused to be open and tell me what the issue is, I have given up on him and the relationship because I do not believe that a man should be the source of my unhappiness. But I still want to knw why men suddenly stop calling women when they have issues....what do u think nairalanders?

Suggests that you and this guy have been having issues with the relationship and the decision to give up on the guy was entirely yours. So, I really do not see the basis in creating this thread. Or are u suggesting that you have another guy apart from the one you spoke about in the above post who u are also considering for marriage?
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by Todaynatoday: 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2012
striktlymi:

Good day,

I saw your post and really wasn't happy with the thought that your parents might want to decide who you can or cannot marry. But your post in the most recent thread you created suggests that this might not be true afterall. The post:

Suggests that you and this guy have been having issues with the relationship and the decision to give up on the guy was entirely yours. So, I really do not see the basis in creating this thread. Or are u suggesting that you have another guy apart from the one you spoke about in the above post who u are also considering for marriage?
Good detective work! Are you in anyway related to Bruce Wayne?
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by advocate666: 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2012
striktlymi:

Good day,

She could be talking of another guy.
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by diva90: 6:16pm On Dec 10, 2012
Todaynatoday: Good detective work! Are you in anyway related to Bruce Wayne?

Lol I tire
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 10, 2012
diva90: I was born and raised catholic . My boy frnd is Protestant. My parents hv disapproved of the union because he is non catholic. cry I don't knw what to do. Pls advice me. Also is it really bad for one to marry frm outside his/her denomination?
it is not normal with catholic parents. In fact, it is more normal with pentecostals to reject marrying a catholic unless the catholic changes from his faith. Catholics, especially post vatican II catholics are more open to other christians than other christians are to them. Other christians think catholics are not christians
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by Nobody: 7:26am On Dec 11, 2012
advocate666: If you are letting your parents decide your matrimonial life, then you are not yet ready to get married. Wait till you are able to make your own decisions.

Good point!! What has church denomination got to do with love & marriage? Smh for some people!! I thought only muslims restricts their children from getting married to non-muslims?
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by xmasgift: 11:35pm On Dec 17, 2012
seriallink:

Good point!! What has church denomination got to do with love & marriage? Smh for some people!! I thought only muslims restricts their children from getting married to non-muslims?
Really?! What planet do u live? Christian families do not restrict their kids from marrying non-Christian? Cmon! It is so bad dat the denominations are a major issue. Quit being a hypocrite.
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by diva90: 6:17am On Dec 18, 2012
souldust: it is not normal with catholic parents. In fact, it is more normal with pentecostals to reject marrying a catholic unless the catholic changes from his faith. Catholics, especially post vatican II catholics are more open to other christians than other christians are to them. Other christians think catholics are not christians

I don't agree with this undecided
Re: Parents Against Mixed Christian Marriage by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 21, 2012
xmasgift:
Really?! What planet do u live? Christian families do not restrict their kids from marrying non-Christian? Cmon! It is so bad dat the denominations are a major issue. Quit being a hypocrite.

Not in my family!! So, the hypocrisy part is not applicable to me!

(1) (Reply)

Scandal Will Hit T.B Joshua, Winners Chapel, Deeper Life Etc In 2014---prophet / Open Heavens: “Provoking Signs & Wonders I”, Wednesday 8th January 2014 / Funny! Naija Churches and their names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.