Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:41 PM

Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch (7492 Views)

Voting Machines Altering Votes From Obama To Romney In Pennsylvania / Barack Obama Vs Mitt Romney : Election Night Thread / Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by busoye19: 9:51am On Nov 29, 2012
Massachusetts governor, who was convinced even on election day that he would be the 45th US President, but was outwitted by Obama’s political machine.

The president has in the past appeared magnanimous to former foes, notably when he asked Hillary Clinton – who he defeated in a Democratic primary – to join his “team of rivals” first-term cabinet as secretary of state.

It is unclear whether the meeting is just for appearances’ sake as he seeks to heal political wounds of a divisive election or if he has any specific task in mind for Romney and, if he did, whether the Republican would accept.

Obama said in his first post-election press conference earlier this month that, despite an acrimonious campaign that saw his team lambast the Republican’s character, he hoped to work with  Romney on some issues.

“There are certain aspects of Governor Romney’s record and his ideas that I think could be very helpful,” Obama said on November 14, adding that Romney had done a “terrific job” running the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002.

“He presented some ideas during the course of the campaign that I actually agree with. So it would be interesting to talk to him about something like that.” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/world/obama-to-host-romney-over-private-lunch/
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by dilbert100: 2:39pm On Nov 29, 2012
looks like a pr stunt to me
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by idirect(m): 2:40pm On Nov 29, 2012
Nobody should compare these two gentlemen with GEJ and GMB. Romney lost a free and fair election but GMB lost a free but not fair election per say
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by octar6: 2:41pm On Nov 29, 2012
that is what democracy is all about.
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by wonda26(m): 2:42pm On Nov 29, 2012
So, let's wait and see
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by babarazy: 2:43pm On Nov 29, 2012
God bless America

2 Likes

Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by manny4life(m): 2:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
I heard over a source that he wanted to offer to offer Romney a position in his cabinet - I think it was Dept of Trade and Commerce.
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by meksroland: 2:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
Obama is there out of favour but Romney is more articulate and intelligent economic wise than him. I knew Obama must definitely seek his wisdom

2 Likes

Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by dapsy4u2(m): 2:46pm On Nov 29, 2012
Democracy in action!
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by manny4life(m): 2:48pm On Nov 29, 2012
meksroland: Obama is there out of favour but Romney is more articulate and intelligent economic wise than him. I knew Obama must definitely seek his wisdom

Let me guess, Romney is more articulate, intelligent and smarter than Obama's economic advisers even external such as Ben Bernanke? Smh, Obama is trying to seek a balance to calm nerves so that economic transition over the next four years will be more smoother.

1 Like

Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by kaysy(m): 2:55pm On Nov 29, 2012
wonda26: So, let's wait and see
what are u waiting to see? do u think this is Nigeria? GEJ should host Buhari na, then ur wait and see statement can be seen as valid

1 Like

Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by Ganys: 2:59pm On Nov 29, 2012
Hmmm
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 29, 2012
babarazy: God bless America
Yeah!God bless America!
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by anishe(m): 3:07pm On Nov 29, 2012
Private lunch? I thought private jet. Wondering when did Obama become Nigerian Politician and Pastors with the flair for Private Jet.
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by Willy7(m): 3:18pm On Nov 29, 2012
Yeah nice step i must say,afterall its not Romney states of America or Obama states of America,but UNITED states of America.So whatever and whoever is needed for d smooth running of d economic wheels is welcomed.Romney despite his flip flops sure has something to offer,so let the president reach out to him and others that can be of immense help to his last lap at d oval office.And pls nobody should as a matter of fact try to compare this guys with Naija version,its lik comparing day and night.Though we will get there,but for now,its near impossible.God help us
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 29, 2012
Its always easier to be magnanimous in victory.

2 Likes

Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by floriana(m): 3:46pm On Nov 29, 2012
The republicans should test the food first before Romney eats o. Who knows, Naija politicians may have taught those Americans a thing or two about food poisoning.
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by Ahmed0336(m): 3:47pm On Nov 29, 2012
I will say its a nice approach dats what I call real democracy wink
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by Ezyp(m): 3:58pm On Nov 29, 2012
kaysy:
what are u waiting to see? do u think this is Nigeria? GEJ should host Buhari na, then ur wait and see statement can be seen as valid

cant stop laughin
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by JoeMosco(m): 4:03pm On Nov 29, 2012
idirect: Nobody should compare these two gentlemen with GEJ and GMB. Romney lost a free and fair election but GMB lost a free but not fair election per say
please expantiate.... What makes you feel the election was not fair.
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by LoveDecay(m): 4:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
manny4life:

Let me guess, Romney is more articulate, intelligent and smarter than Obama's economic advisers even external such as Ben Bernanke? Smh, Obama is trying to seek a balance to calm nerves so that economic transition over the next four years will be more smoother.

Look , do u know how long Bernanke been there. Do you really think, one individual has monopoly of wisdom.

Have you read the monster frm jekyll island. Are you really sure you know enough about the us economy.

The painful truth is that, men Romney run the real us economy, the stocks, construction,heathcare,technology,insurance,finance.

These guys are businessmen not politicians and none of them supported obama"s return, if the did so, it was only as a plan b.

Obama is a good liar, but not a good bean counter ; he just does not understand how to make the nos add up.

The U'S economy has been grounded for decades, its citizens where living of mortgage loans and credit cards.

American is the largest debtor in world , owing China trillions of dollars, but guys like Romney manage to grow rich every year, even with increased taxing frm the obama govt.

That my brother is financial genius. The U'S is only as cool today, because of the demand for its currency.

Obama is no messiah, like Jonathan..he"s the patsy!

2 Likes

Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by taharqa: 4:08pm On Nov 29, 2012
idirect: Nobody should compare these two gentlemen with GEJ and GMB. Romney lost a free and fair election but GMB lost a free but not fair election per say
'..a free but not fair election per say'- what d hell are u talking about?
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:08pm On Nov 29, 2012
WHAT HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH NIGERIA~!!!! HOW WIL THIS AFFECT US?!!!

HOW DID THIS USELESS TOPIC MAKE FRONT PAGE?!!! DO THE AMERICANS ALK ABOUT OUR POLITICS AND GIVE IT SO MUCH (IF ANY) IMPORTANCE??!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE ALL WHITE-A$$ LICKERS! AND SLAVES! angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by iykak47: 4:29pm On Nov 29, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
WHAT HAS THIS GOT TO DO WITH NIGERIA~!!!! HOW WIL THIS AFFECT US?!!!

HOW DID THIS USELESS TOPIC MAKE FRONT PAGE?!!! DO THE AMERICANS ALK ABOUT OUR POLITICS AND GIVE IT SO MUCH (IF ANY) IMPORTANCE??!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE ALL WHITE-A$$ LICKERS! AND SLAVES! angry angry angry angry angry
So every news must be all about Nigeria,is it mandatory that you must be interested in every news?
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by GARRIx7(m): 4:55pm On Nov 29, 2012
What will them discuss about
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by linearity: 4:57pm On Nov 29, 2012
dilbert100: looks like a pr stunt to me

Romney visiting the White House has no PR value. It is not going to make people who does not like Obama or his policies love him, it will even infuriate lots of Obama's supporters.

Also, Romney right now does not have any GOP political prowess, so him visiting the Whit House is not going to make the GOP majority in the House or the GOP minority in the Senate play ball with the White House on a number of issues that confronting the Country right now.
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by JOHNMASON(m): 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
Joe Mosco:
please expantiate.... What makes you feel the election was not fair.
PDP.
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by greaterlove(m): 5:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
Love_Decay:

Look , do u know how long Bernanke been there. Do you really think, one individual has monopoly of wisdom.

Have you read the monster frm jekyll island. Are you really sure you know enough about the us economy.

The painful truth is that, men Romney run the real us economy, the stocks, construction,heathcare,technology,insurance,finance.

These guys are businessmen not politicians and none of them supported obama"s return, if the did so, it was only as a plan b.

Obama is a good liar, but not a good bean counter ; he just does not understand how to make the nos add up.

The U'S economy has been grounded for decades, its citizens where living of mortgage loans and credit cards.

American is the largest debtor in world , owing China trillions of dollars, but guys like Romney manage to grow rich every year, even with increased taxing frm the obama govt.

That my brother is financial genius. The U'S is only as cool today, because of the demand for its currency.

i will really like you to state Romney's proposed strategies to improve the US economy, atleast you understand the US economy better and you followed the elections and the campaigns pro to the elections.
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by TableLeg(m): 5:12pm On Nov 29, 2012
Something to heal Money Mitt's wounds!
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by manny4life(m): 5:20pm On Nov 29, 2012
Love_Decay:

Before you go on your long comments, I responded to his claims, that Romney is way intelligent than Obama in terms of economy, so to borrow your "monopoly of wisdom" , I think you should direct that to him. I stated, Mr Romney is way more intelligent than Obama's economic advisers including Bernanke right? I mean, aren't these folks the ones who advice Obama? Even few of them are Republicans, so what's the issue?

Lol at bold, you got me cracking up. Do you mean how he governed MA for four years? LOL. If he couldn't do it in MA, heck he was so shameful in his ratings that second term was not an option, it's U.S he wants to perform his magic, right?

Yeah no argument. Like I said, he indeed his business acumen is very well noted in the state of MA...LOL

Who cares whether a billionaire supports Obama's return?

Heck, it's the average Americans that voted Obama in, at least by the last time I checked the poll records, that's what's it indicated.

Obama is a liar, I know.. and you call Romney what? The saint? All through the campaign trail, through the debate till election night, who lied, who was corrected more often, and who gaffed the most? grin grin grin grin I need not tell you the answer, you know that already, so please save your liar argument, we're not buying it.

Obama did not put us in the mess, BUSH DID. The same policies BUSH APPLIED is same one Romney is about to take, no difference. U.S. economy has been slow for a while, but for you to say decades, brother YOU LIE. Historical records will prove you wrong.

The mortgage crisis was there because of folks like Romney who takes hard earned monies of the main street individuals, and play risky tactics. Bernie Maddoff and their types (Romney's types) are the ones who brought Wall Street to it's very knees. Read up on the Wall Street Saga, you'll blame that on Obama too right? When the burble burst, who was the leader then? Oh I forgot, Obama.

U.S. is the largest debtor, who doesn't know that? Each administration contributed to the mess, but it's gets really stupid when people try to heap all that sh.it on Obama. Just like I heard one mugu blaming Obama for the U.S. credit downgrade, I'm like WTF? I was here, I was affected because people like John Boehner, Paul Ryan and company wouldn't approve a $35billion measure over a $2.5trillion budget. To you, does it make any sense? YET, they blamed Obama. Meanwhile, Obama kept urging Congress, till 11:55pm at night, when the two mugus finally agreed, YET, they blame Obama.
Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by doppler777(m): 5:54pm On Nov 29, 2012
dapsy4u2: Democracy in action!

Re: Obama To Host Romney Over Private Lunch by KayDee4: 6:20pm On Nov 29, 2012
Obama wants to help Romneysia fullfil his life-long dream of 'stepping foot in the white house'. grin grin

Love_Decay:

Running a business is different from running an economy. If Romney handles the economy the same way he handled his business (offshoring/outsourcing, piling debts on companies and harvesting them for profits, etc) then you know what direction the economy is bound. Good way to run a business for profits but bad for the economy. Those businesses benefited from loopholes and lack of proper regulations which led to the current economic problems, i dont see how applying much of the same principles on a national scale will translate to success and as @manny already mentioned, Romney didn't do very well economically on a state level as Gov. of Mass.

Love_Decay:

Who would you rather have support your president ? A handful of business men of a majority of the masses ?
If top and powerful business men support Obama, then in return, he must give in to their demands with favourable policies which in most cases do not benefit people on the lower rungs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

3 Nigerians Win UK Parliamentary Seats / Joe Biden Tests Positive To COVID-19, Days After Testing Negative / In Moskow - This Is How The Boss Of All Bosses Rolls.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.