Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach (5513 Views)

Luiz Felipe Scolari Sacked As Brazil's Coach / Luiz Felipe Scolari Set To Be Appointed New Brazil Coach. / Mano Menezes Sacked As Brazil Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 29, 2012
Luiz Felipe Scolari has been confirmed as the new coach of Brazil.

Former boss Mano Menezes was sacked last week after failing to meet expectations, having been knocked out of the 2011 Copa America by Paraguay on penalties, before losing to Mexico in the 2012 Olympics final.

And the former Chelsea boss, who coached his country between 2001 and 2002, was installed as the early favourite to take over alongside Santos' Muricy Ramalho.

During his first reign in charge of his country, Scolari won the 2002 World Cup, beating Germany 3-0 in the final, and is targeting another triumph when Brazil host the tournament in 2014.

"We have an obligation to win the World Cup," he told reporters at his unveiling.

"We are not the favourites to win it now, but we aim to become favourites as we are starting to see the results of our hard work.

"If a national team that have won five World Cups is organising the World Cup, you cannot think about just making it to the final or semi-finals."

Meanwhile, another former coach, Carlos Alberto Parreira, is returning to the fold as team director, and is proud to have been selected for the role.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4055/main/2012/11/29/3565219/breaking-news-scolari-appointed-brazil-coach?source=breakingnews
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by jhydebaba(m): 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2012
Congratulations....

if it will increase my garri
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by UnknownMember: 3:30pm On Nov 29, 2012
Good for him..

As if I ever gave a fhuck who the coach of Brazil was!

2 Likes

Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by emmasmiles(m): 3:35pm On Nov 29, 2012
Wow shocked
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by nass07(m): 3:40pm On Nov 29, 2012
We care less! But wait o! Brazil wount lift that world cup 2014. They've lived past their prime.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Akposkool(m): 3:40pm On Nov 29, 2012
No more space for d young guns.expect ronaldinho,kaka,robinho etal back in the seleccao squad.lets hope he succeeds.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by floriana(m): 3:41pm On Nov 29, 2012
His target?

Make Brazil greater than Spain again.

Definition of Impossible
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Elueme: 3:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
Second missionary journey killed Mongol Park.. Wish him well
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by nass07(m): 3:46pm On Nov 29, 2012
floriana: His target?
Absolutely!

Definition of Impossible
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by dilbert100: 3:54pm On Nov 29, 2012
he's a rubbish manager anyway
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by BetaThings: 4:01pm On Nov 29, 2012
As expected
This should have been done as soon as they sacked Dunga
Brazil 3 Argentina 2

Brazil wins 6th World Cup

Which one be sPAIN?
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:29pm On Nov 29, 2012
Good 4 him. Hope he perform well wt Brazil.
Meanwhile, d score of d final match of 2002 World Cup was Brazil 2-0 German & nt 3-0.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by RedLight1: 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2012
Unknown Member: Good for him..

As if I ever gave a fhuck who the coach of Brazil was!
if u dnt give a fhuck, u wnt open the thread
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by EmmyDe25(m): 4:41pm On Nov 29, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa: Good 4 him. Hope he perform well wt Brazil.
Meanwhile, d score of d final match of 2002 World Cup was Brazil 2-0 German & nt 3-0.
U just beat me to dat.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by RedLight1: 4:43pm On Nov 29, 2012
floriana: His target?

Definition of Impossible
why not? Who woulda taught any team could be greater than brazilian team.. Its only a matter of time

1 Like

Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 29, 2012
EmmyDe25:
U just beat me to dat.
you beat me too
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Afam4eva(m): 5:47pm On Nov 29, 2012
Luis Felipe Scolari is a good coach but i don't think the problem Brazil has is coaching. The're just not the best anymore. Football has gone from being about individual talents to a team game.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Brisingr(m): 6:26pm On Nov 29, 2012
brazil 2002 that was a great team, may be even better than present spain/barca.

2 Likes

Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by unclenna(m): 6:45pm On Nov 29, 2012
Elueme: Second missionary journey killed Mongol Park.. Wish him well
But it did not kill Paul grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Bigboy100: 6:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
Brasil are the definition of true football, so Spain should just pray they don't meet them in 2014 cos Brasil will use individual talents toannihilate them. Cos by then Xavi and Puyol will have faded. Brasil must win !
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by OkwaIfugo(m): 8:33pm On Nov 29, 2012
soon siasia will be back to coach Nigeria.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by thegoodjoehunt(m): 9:09pm On Nov 29, 2012
This is definitely fantastic. Felipe Scolari is the best man to handle the Explosion of Creative Brazilian Footballers.
Young Superstars like Neymar, Pato, Bernard, Lucas Moura, Willian, Alex Texeira, Douglas Costa, Oscar, etc.

We can now expect a wonderful World Cup.

I still remember in 2002 when he released Kaka, Robinho, Ronaldhino, Kleberson to the world. That was breathtaking.
grin
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by miqos02(m): 9:20pm On Nov 29, 2012
Let's see if he will succed time,now no mario zagallo to assist him
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by greall1: 9:44pm On Nov 29, 2012
i hate scolari
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by thegoodjoehunt(m): 9:47pm On Nov 29, 2012
miqos02: Let's see if he will succed time,now no mario zagallo to assist him
This was written in 13 Jun 2008

Scolari will be relying on his No 2, Flavio "Murtosa" Teixeira, to be his eyes and ears around the training ground. Teixeira is known as Scolari's "secret weapon".

Teixeira has been Scolari's assistant since 1982, when the Brazilian took his first job at Centro Sportivo Alagoano.

I don't think Zagallo wasn't his assistant in 2002. Zagallo was the Assistant coach for Brazil from 2003–2006 (when Carlos Alberto Pareira returned) after Scolari's 2002 World Cup win.

From an Article in Fifa.com

Zagallo indestructible
Having overcome typically flamboyant Brazilian criticism and fairly serious heart arrhythmia problems, Zagallo is nothing if not durable, and one might even say he has become part of the furniture in the Auriverde set-up. That is certainly how it looked in November 2002, when Zagallo was the automatic choice to oversee the national side in a friendly against Korea Republic after Luiz Felipe Scolari had masterminded Brazil's fifth world title and stepped down.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by thegoodjoehunt(m): 9:58pm On Nov 29, 2012
greall1: i hate scolari

Why, he is fantastic. Did a wonderful work with Brazil and Portugal. Took the Portuguese National team to their highest finish in the World Cup and Euros.

Don't count his stay with Chelsea. The Chelsea Board did not give him the kind of players he works with. He wanted Robinho and Quaresma. He didn't get them. When Quaresma was signed on loan, Scolari was already leaving.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Rajman(m): 10:19pm On Nov 29, 2012
OkwaIfugo: soon siasia will be back to coach Nigeria.

i agree wit dat
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 29, 2012
Scolari might not be the best choice for Brasil. The ability to handle talented individual players is not sufficient in today's game. Tactical flexibility is the main criteria when choosing a coach. I may be wrong, but if Scolari decides to utilize a rigid, flat 4-4-2 formation in the 2014 World Cup, the Brazil team may not go very far. There should be a bance between attacking and defending. Even Barca, with all their attacking talent, still defend as a team. For eg if an opposing player is with the ball, at least 2 Barca players try to close him down. Scolari's philosophy of non-collective team defense might be exposed by teams that play counter-attacking football.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:48pm On Nov 29, 2012
CFCfan: Scolari might not be the best choice for Brasil. The ability to handle talented individual players is not sufficient in today's game. Tactical flexibility is the main criteria when choosing a coach. I may be wrong, but if Scolari decides to utilize a rigid, flat 4-4-2 formation in the 2014 World Cup, the Brazil team may not go very far. There should be a bance between attacking and defending. Even Barca, with all their attacking talent, still defend as a team. For eg if an opposing player is with the ball, at least 2 Barca players try to close him down. Scolari's philosophy of non-collective team defense might be exposed by teams that play counter-attacking football.

What has held Brazil back after they won the World Cup in 2002 is that the coaches that handled Brazil tried to coach the European way. This is also what you are suggesting. I totally disagree. Why the whole world love Brazil is because of flair. Playing football the individual way and not collectively. When Pele played, they were many players on that team like Tastao, Rivelino, Jarzinho etc who could compete with him. They played a 5-3-2 formation that could seamlessly transform itself into a 3-5-2 and back again. When a wing back overlaps, the other one defends.

In modern time since 2002, there has been an astronomical explosion of Super Brazilian talents. What Brazil needs now is to play the Brazilian way and they would succeed. Barcelona and Spain now have their way of playing. If a coach comes and changes it, Spain will drop. That is why Tito Vilanova was giving the Job as Barca coach. He was Guardiola's assistant since Guardoila Coached Barca B and knew the system.

Brazil should play like Brazil and there are only two men I can attest that can coach a team to play that way. Leonardo(PSG director of football) and Scolari. I hope Scolari selects the most skillful players and let them play with flair.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 29, 2012
@thegoodjoehunt: I agree with some of your points, especially the one on tactical flexibility. I wasn't suggesting that Scolari shouldn't field flair players. I was merely saying that Scolari should incorporate both the natural flair of Brazilian players and European tactical discipline. Like I said earlier, when Barca/Spain lose the ball to an opposing player, Messi, Pedro and Xavi try to track back and win the ball; I'm suspecting that's the reason why Guardiola let go off Ronaldinho and Deco because those guys play ZERO defense.

It will be interesting to see if Neymar, Douglas Costa, Robinho and co would be willing to track back anytime an opponent has the ball in Brazil's half of the pitch.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:38pm On Nov 29, 2012
CFCfan: @thegoodjoehunt: I agree with some of your points, especially the one on tactical flexibility. I wasn't suggesting that Scolari shouldn't field flair players. I was merely saying that Scolari should incorporate both the natural flair of Brazilian players and European tactical discipline. Like I said earlier, when Barca/Spain lose the ball to an opposing player, Messi, Pedro and Xavi try to track back and win the ball; I'm suspecting that's the reason why Guardiola let go off Ronaldinho and Deco because those guys play ZERO defense.

It will be interesting to see if Neymar, Douglas Costa, Robinho and co would be willing to track back anytime an opponent has the ball in Brazil's half of the pitch.

The Zone Press defending strategy is good but it isn't the Classic Brazilian way. Romario says when an attacker has to help the defenders, the defenders can't do their job (that is the true Brazilian philosophy). Imagine Ronaldhino defending. What we fans of Brazilian football want is just the way they played in 2002. I can't remember Kaka, Robinho, Rivaldo or Ronaldo Da Lima tracking back to help defenders.

That is why I am excited with Scolari taken over.

It is not that the strategy (Zone Press) is bad but in this case the explosion of talents in Brazil is too much and we need flair. If the Attackers track back, when the ball is won, the midfielders and defenders have to hold the ball for the attackers to get back to their position. This slows down the counter attack.

We need the Brazilian classic 3 defenders (one of the defenders is like a defending Midfielder) and the rest will be wing backs(that can play as wingers), midfielders and two attackers (Romario-Bebeto, Romario-Ronaldo, Ronald-Rivaldo). CLASSIC BRAZILIAN WAY.
Re: Felipe Scolari Appointed As Brazil Coach by MacKuro: 2:16am On Nov 30, 2012
Will he bring d desired changed or will he b sacked b4 d world cup proper. Only tym will tell

(1) (2) (Reply)

National Sports Festival: Edo Gets 2020 Hosting Right / (live Update) Jevetus 2-0 Atletico Madrid / NFF Set To Hire Foreign Goalkeeper Trainer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.