Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,999 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:38 AM

Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? (7595 Views)

10 Top Secrets To Become A Successful Blogger / Great Tips On How To Become A Successful Blogger And Drivetraffics To Your Blog / How To Become A Successful Blogger In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by maclatunji: 3:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
I say you do, a friend says no- what do you think?
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by barapistis(m): 8:38pm On Nov 30, 2012
me thinks you need some cash men, to spice things up...eg.marketing
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by maclatunji: 9:23pm On Nov 30, 2012
bara pistis: me thinks you need some cash men, to spice things up...eg.marketing

Exactly my position, my friend goes like: "you just need to know and post content that drives traffic" and I say: "your content 99% of the time will remain unnoticed without money to market your blog".
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Ogbonnagba(m): 1:01pm On Dec 01, 2012
You just have to fashion a niche which you are good in and kick off. though you are required to have some money which will be used to register for your domain name and web hosting that is if you want to host your blog. Though you can still make some money online without being a blogger, the choice is yours....
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by miqos02(m): 1:20pm On Dec 02, 2012
it depends on your reason for blogging,if you are not doing it for profit,then you, dont need money,just like a personal diary
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by maclatunji: 2:24pm On Dec 02, 2012
miqos02: it depends on your reason for blogging,if you are not doing it for profit,then you, dont need money,just like a personal diary

This is an interesting point but I am thinking the way blogs are setup you would like considerable readership for this your diary I believe.
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Basic(m): 5:55pm On Dec 02, 2012
The answer depends on your motive for blogging.
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Basic(m): 5:55pm On Dec 02, 2012
If you're blogging for the fun of it, just to get your ideas and thoughts published online, you'll be fine with a free platform like Blogger, , or Typepad.

But if you want to blog for traffic and profit (i.e. you're taking blogging as a business), then you'll have to spend some bucks - at least on hosting, domain registration, and, maybe, design.

As for marketing a blog, I strongly opine that you don't need money for that - provided you have enough spare time and the required writing and SEO skills.

1 Like

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by maclatunji: 6:01pm On Dec 02, 2012
^Interesting.
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 02, 2012
bara pistis: me thinks you need some cash men, to spice things up...eg.marketing
You really don't have to invest so much money to become a successful blogger.

Ask Bella Naija or Linda Ikeji. They will tell you they invested much more time and effort into their blogs and that is PRICELESS.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by maclatunji: 9:35pm On Dec 02, 2012
Brand_new: You really don't have to invest so much money to become a successful blogger.

Ask Bella Naija or Linda Ikeji. They will tell you they invested much more time and effort into their blogs and that is PRICELESS.

I don't believe those stories. Yes! Time, passion and energy are important but you need money to amplify the results of these efforts.
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by barapistis(m): 10:42pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ogbonnagba: You just have to fashion a niche which you are good in and kick off. though you are required to have some money which will be used to register for your domain name and web hosting that is if you want to host your blog. Though you can still make some money online without being a blogger, the choice is yours....

pointless..niche, kickoff .you could still make money.whats your conclusion

Brand_new: You really don't have to invest so much money to become a successful blogger.

i dont get this whole dscussion .are we excluding the research you have to do,the internet plan you have to pay for..or you intend surfing with the regular 10megabyte given by most telcos,the domain name you have to get; as not been part of the cost of setting up a blog..
or cost as in the use of autobloggers,article submitters and auto comment softwares...which ever one you going for either casual blogging or pro blogging u still get to incur some cost
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Nobody: 2:33am On Dec 03, 2012
maclatunji:

I don't believe those stories. Yes! Time, passion and energy are important but you need money to amplify the results of these efforts.
Money might amplify those efforts but such is not needed if you apply ingenuity to your blog.

I am still of the opinion that money is not necessary to succeed as a blogger.
Ofcourse you can generate income from it and re invest but I strongly advise you do not put money into it if it hasn't shown any signs of fetching back such money.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Hailedin9ja: 11:24am On Dec 04, 2012
That depends on how you look at it. Check this BLOG out. It's about making money with CPA using blogs. It's quite interesting. You may not spend a Kobo to earn.

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Abyjah: 11:25am On Dec 04, 2012
Money answereth ALL things (including making heaven).

Anyways, let's talk about Jesus.

The obsession with money is the root of all atrocities.
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Nasri100(m): 11:28am On Dec 04, 2012
And besides Blogging should be a side Job.
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Francheezy(m): 11:29am On Dec 04, 2012
YOU ALL ARE 4GETING SOMETHING - WHICH IZ - MONEY FOR INTERNET SUBSCRIBTION -
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by LailaIkeji1: 11:31am On Dec 04, 2012
for the basic requirements for running a blog you need money to:
stay online at least 8 hours every day.
buy your customised domain name.
for web hosting if you choose to launch on wordpress, blogger is free.
all the money i spend monthly is tops 5k.

the part of being successful blogger, you may just hav to increase the number of hours you 'work' online which increases your cost.
then if you choose to advertise, that's another cost.

to be a successful blogger at the most minimal cost, (according to my humble experience so far)

1. i believe you already hav a good laptop
2. subscribe to an internet bundle.
Tip: I use Airtel. Their normal 3GB data plan costs N5k. but thier BB dataplan gives you 1GB at N1400 and 3GB at N2800. So what I do is subscribe for the N2800 and use that sim on my modem.
3. buy a domain name. it costs 10 dollars a year tru goggleapps. tops 15dollars from any oda source.
4. host on blogger. its over free and theres no maintenance cost.. and when your traffic increases, you dont hav to worry about having to pay extra for bandwith kini ko.
5. then you hav to be online, EVERYDAY, at least 8 hours a day, however you spread it during your day is up to you. but you must be online that long, sourcing for the LATEST gists and aiming to always be the first to break it. your readers would always notice and spread gist for you that u always carry latest gists.
6.then spread your blog too. increase your facebook, twitter followers. you can do the advertising wtout spending so much on adverts but na work oo.
and it requires you do it everyday!

10 Likes

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by zangiff(m): 11:34am On Dec 04, 2012
the money for internet subscription and domain name,but majorly time
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by 3direct: 11:46am On Dec 04, 2012
Its good to take blogging for biz

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by mrkels(m): 11:49am On Dec 04, 2012
The only cash you need is for internet subscription for your own' convienence' because some peeps have that free. You don't need cash for anyother thing in the blogging business. QED
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Abujafood: 11:50am On Dec 04, 2012
Why don't you ask Linda Ikeji, She makes close to N700k monthly and yet uses a free blogging service.

1 Like

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by maclatunji: 11:55am On Dec 04, 2012
Abujafood: Why don't you ask Linda Ikeji, She makes close to N700k monthly and yet uses a free blogging service.

Let's look at it:

Linda goes to blogger.com then

- Starts blogging

-Gbraaaaam!!! People start going to her blog just like that because their lives depend on it or because they don't have anything better to do with their time?

I know I seem sarcastic but I am asking questions here. It doesn't quite work like that in my opinion.
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by 3direct: 12:03pm On Dec 04, 2012
The whole thing comes to the understanding of SEO and Social bookmarking, Looking at it from linda example .. then i will say you dont need money to be a succesfull blogger

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by LailaIkeji1: 12:09pm On Dec 04, 2012
maclatunji:

Let's look at it:

Linda goes to blogger.com then

- Starts blogging

-Gbraaaaam!!! People start going to her blog just like that because their lives depend on it or because they don't have anything better to do with their time?

I know I seem sarcastic but I am asking questions here. It doesn't quite work like that in my opinion.

Linda is the biggest queen of Nigerian blogging.
she started blogging when there were just 10 or so entertainment blogs (2006) unlike today wher we have hundreds of new entertainment blogs springing up everyday.
with time, she built a brand out of her blog - you are sure of authentic gists on Linda's blog, you are sure of the latest gists on Linda's blog (evn tho she's not always the first to post it tho), her blog is 'human'. and she posts EVERYDAY!
Her blog is like 'home'.
So people got convinced, believed in her and her blog and spread the message for her OVER TIME!
it doesn't happen overnight but if you remain steady, doing it right everyday, you dont need so much money to be a seen as a successful blogger 6 years into your being a blogger.
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by pak: 12:13pm On Dec 04, 2012
Was Seun a Millionaire when he started nairaland ?

Now I know nairaland aint a blog but they have similar business models. You need to have a niche and be able to stay current and relevant. Have access to THE RIGHT people not neccessarily money.

Heard Linda was broke when she started.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by demoreon: 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2012
Hailedin9ja: That depends on how you look at it. Check this BLOG out. It's about making money with CPA using blogs. It's quite interesting. You may not spend a Kobo to earn.

@hailedin9ja the desktop version of ur blog is in a mess the colours are way off, work on it.
Also the images you uploaded on ur daily earnings and the one one u uploaded here are all doctored, my eyes and image verification software confirmed it smiley
You need to learn some photoshopn u knw.

To the threads question,You don't need money to be a successful blogger, all you need to make money is TRAFFIC which is FREE.

1 Like

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by legalwealth(m): 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2012
zangiff: the money for internet subscription and domain name,but majorly time

I second you...

1 Like

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 04, 2012
maclatunji: I say you do, a friend says no- what do you think?

No you don't, but you need some hardwork, luck and creativity. But then, some popularity will make it more easier for you.

Remember, Linda Ikeji who has now become a mentor for most aspiring Nigerian bloggers, was once a model, so her modeling career, personality and gender helped her a lot. She utilized what she had to explore what she wanted...male bloggers need more creativity, popularity and maybe cash to make it today anyway....nice topic smiley
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by nex(m): 12:20pm On Dec 04, 2012
What do you people mean by being a "Successful Blogger"?

If you can log information about, around, and of yourself on the web, then you are a successful weBLOGGER.

However, if you intend to open a website to generate income for yourself by posting news (plagiarised or original), then, what you need is first to promote your site. You need to promote your site, and I'm not asking you to start spamming Nairaland, or Facebook Groups. Assign a budget for Social Media Marketing, Internet Marketing, and others.

My Blog is not commercial, I'm only posting on it regularly, in preparation for the launch of my website. When that comes up, I'm planning on a budget of N500,000 for promotions, cos I'll also be doing print and radio. However, I have a plan to finance that budget.

I have also built up a massive, and very attentive following on Social Media: Close to 60,000 on Facebook pages I manage, and approximately 40,000 following my various Twitter handles.

Good luck to you all.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by oemmanuel: 12:24pm On Dec 04, 2012
Laila Ikeji: for the basic requirements for running a blog you need money to:
stay online at least 8 hours every day.
buy your customised domain name.
for web hosting if you choose to launch on wordpress, blogger is free.
all the money i spend monthly is tops 5k.

the part of being successful blogger, you may just hav to increase the number of hours you 'work' online which increases your cost.
then if you choose to advertise, that's another cost.

to be a successful blogger at the most minimal cost, (according to my humble experience so far)

1. i believe you already hav a good laptop
2. subscribe to an internet bundle.
Tip: I use Airtel. Their normal 3GB data plan costs N5k. but thier BB dataplan gives you 1GB at N1400 and 3GB at N2800. So what I do is subscribe for the N2800 and use that sim on my modem.
3. buy a domain name. it costs 10 dollars a year tru goggleapps. tops 15dollars from any oda source.
4. host on blogger. its over free and theres no maintenance cost.. and when your traffic increases, you dont hav to worry about having to pay extra for bandwith kini ko.
5. then you hav to be online, EVERYDAY, at least 8 hours a day, however you spread it during your day is up to you. but you must be online that long, sourcing for the LATEST gists and aiming to always be the first to break it. your readers would always notice and spread gist for you that u always carry latest gists.
6.then spread your blog too. increase your facebook, twitter followers. you can do the advertising wtout spending so much on adverts but na work oo.
and it requires you do it everyday!

Please, can I talk to you via email? Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Do You Need Money To Become A Successful Blogger? by elampiro(m): 12:25pm On Dec 04, 2012
Ogbonnagba: You just have to fashion a niche which you are good in and kick off. though you are required to have some money which will be used to register for your domain name and web hosting that is if you want to host your blog. Though you can still make some money online without being a blogger, the choice is yours....

How can one make money online without being a blogger? Email me elampiro@yahoo.com

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hostgator, Bluehost & Hostmonster Provo Data Center Network Outage / Google Celebrates Special Olympics World Cup Games With A Doodle / Top 50 Most Visited Websites In Nigeria, No. 1 Will Suprise You!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.