Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State (11793 Views)

Israel And Palestine Agree Gaza Ceasefire / Lord Have Mercy! Heartbreaking Pics From The War Between Israel & Palestine / Argentina, Uruguay And Brazil Recognize Palestine As State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by bilms(m): 11:20pm On Nov 29, 2012
The news reaching me right now says that, the UN had accepted palestine as a member state after conducting a voting excercise. Only 9 member voted against palestine,41 abstain and others voted in favor. Good development.

Nearly 140 countries voted in the U.N. on Thursday to recognize the Palestinian territories as a "nonmember observer state" over the strenuous objections of Israel and the U.S., marking a milestone with potentially far-reaching consequences for the decades-old Arab-Israeli conflict.

The 138-9 vote, with 41 abstentions, came on the 65th anniversary of the assembly's resolution calling for the partition of British mandate Palestine into Jewish and Arab states.

The new status, which is akin to the Vatican's own stature in the world body, marked a rare victory for the Fatah party's diplomatic path toward statehood after its rival Hamas's military strategy had taken the spotlight during the recent Gaza conflict.

Palestinians in the West Bank city of Ramallah, who were crowded around outdoor television screens during the vote in New York erupted into applause, whistles and hugs, as some people fired guns into the air and beeped car horns in celebration.

"We didn't come here seeking to delegitimize a state established years ago, and that is Israel; rather we came to affirm the legitimacy of the state that must now achieve its independence, and that is Palestine," Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Fatah-led Palestinian Authority, told the assembly to a standing ovation.

The immediate question was whether the vote spurs or further delays the resumption of talks between Israel and the Palestinians that Israel says are needed to finalize the status of the West Bank and Gaza territories.

While Mr. Abbas argued the vote would create the momentum to resume moribund talks, the U.S. and Israel denounced the vote as a "unilateral" move in the multilateral assembly.

"Today's unfortunate and counterproductive resolution places further obstacles to peace," said U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice. "No resolution can create a state where none exists."

She added, "Palestinians will wake up tomorrow and find that little has changed saved the prospect of direct talks have receded."

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dismissed the vote as an empty gesture that makes little difference for Palestinians, and makes peace prospects more remote.

"The decision at the U.N. today won't change a thing on the ground,'' he said prior to the vote. "Peace will be reached through agreements reached between Jerusalem and Ramallah, and not through declarations passed at the U.N.''

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dismissed the vote as an empty gesture that makes little difference for Palestinians, and makes peace prospects more remote.

"The decision at the U.N. today won't change a thing on the ground,'' he said prior to the vote. "Peace will be reached through agreements reached between Jerusalem and Ramallah, and not through declarations passed at the U.N.''
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323751104578149193307234514.html

2 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 11:37pm On Nov 29, 2012
Justice prevailing gradually
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by elampiro(m): 11:46pm On Nov 29, 2012
I was going to create the topic.

194th state I guess.
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
Palestine is voted as a non member "state". Nothing, substantially, has changed.

1 Like

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by HAH: 12:24am On Nov 30, 2012
Prof Corruption: Palestine is voted as a non member "state". Nothing, substantially, has changed.
who told you there is nothing substantial you are obviously being guided by the us- isreali propaganda, for goodness sake this people who hitherto are known as an entity are now being recognized as a "state" which means country whether member or not I think that is great ,moreover this same pattern was used by un in 1947 to create the " state of israel".

now the next step for palestine is to sue them in ICC.

6 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 12:35am On Nov 30, 2012
HAH: who told you there is nothing substantial you are obviously being guided by the us- isreali propaganda, for goodness sake this people who hitherto are known as an entity are now being recognized as a "state" which means country whether member or not I think that is great ,moreover this same pattern was used by un in 1947 to create the " state of israel".

now the next step for palestine is to sue them in ICC.

Israel can also sue them for them as well. In 1948, Israel was recognised as a full member state. Palestine is not accorded such a recognition.
Palestine is more or less like vatican without military, foreign policy and anything substantial. It does not change the facts and realities on ground.

1 Like

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by HAH: 1:14am On Nov 30, 2012
the whole world knows about the injustice being done to the palestine for goodness sake look at the countries that voted against palestine : israel,usa,canada,panama,nauru,micronesia,czech rep,palau and marshal island. the rest of the cohort who know the truth but for the fear of america decided to abstain. well thank God Nigeria voted for palestine

12 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 1:18am On Nov 30, 2012
HAH: the whole world knows about the injustice being done to the palestine for goodness sake look at the countries that voted against palestine : israel,usa,canada,panama,nauru,micronesia,czech rep,palau and samoa. the rest of the cohort who know the truth but for the fear of america decided to abstain. well thank God Nigeria voted for palestine

Many countries that voted for Palestine made it abundantly clear they were not voting for Palestine as a full member state. Listen to individual justifications of member states. I don't know your definition of truth

2 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by HAH: 1:25am On Nov 30, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Many countries that voted for Palestine made it abundantly clear they were not voting for Palestine as a full member state. Listen to individual justifications of member states. I don't your definition of truth
if not because of the injustice called veto power in the security council they would have been full members, but you know a journey of a thousand mile begins with a step and i believe this is a bold step by palestine.

my guy why do you support this apathied, well your name says it all "prof corruption" lol

4 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 1:29am On Nov 30, 2012
HAH: if not because of the injustice called veto power in the security council they would have been full members, but you know a journey of a thousand mile begins with a step and i believe this is a bold step by palestine.

my guy why do you support this apathied, well your name says it all "prof corruption" lol

What's the injustice in the security council? No country in the world is forced to be part of UN. Each member surrenders her sovereignty to UN with full awareness of veto wielding powers of favored five. You can't term veto injustice in that sense. Palestine will get a state if US approves, otherwise it's nothing but an illusion.

There is no apartheid in Middle East. It's all media creation.

1 Like

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by HAH: 1:44am On Nov 30, 2012
if what is happening in palestine is not apathied then I don't know what apatheid is ? this peoples ancestral home were taken away by the un and given to jews because of some fairy tales of 3000 years ago, upon that they start to maltreat and sagregate them with the backing of usa and you tell me this is not apatheid.

the good news is that the jews are gradually losing their powers in america, very soon the us govt will realize the embarassment the israeli are causing them and they will abandon them.

6 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 1:54am On Nov 30, 2012

2 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 1:59am On Nov 30, 2012
HAH: if what is happening in palestine is not apathied then I don't know what apatheid is ? this peoples ancestral home were taken away by the un and given to jews because of some fairy tales of 3000 years ago, upon that they start to maltreat and sagregate them with the backing of usa and you tell me this is not apatheid.

the good news is that the jews are gradually losing their powers in america, very soon the us govt will realize the embarassment the israeli are causing them and they will abandon them.

Ancestral home? Do Jews living in Israel now learn Hebrew from Palestinians? How many times have Jerusalem been captured and re-captured? Who is the original owner? Do you know that West Bank was captured from Jordan and that Egypt once ruled Gaza before it was captured in 1967? Who are the Palestinian people?

3 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by HAH: 2:18am On Nov 30, 2012
For israel to be culled out of palestine in 1948 by UN is like today" because of segregation you bring black americans back to africa and let say taking south-south Nigeria and giving them since their ancestors 300 years ago were enslaved. and even after we agree that they should be given theland they start encroaching on south east. and soth west with the backing of US. to an extend they almost capture the entire country. Don't you think we Nigerians will do anything to see that to protect ourselves and get our land back.

8 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Cunninlingus: 2:27am On Nov 30, 2012
The rise of the beast

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Whobedatte(m): 2:31am On Nov 30, 2012
Welcome development i must say Palestines deserves more due to apartheid that has ravaged their nations for years. Whether the US,canada and co voted against them is subsservient!
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Cunninlingus: 2:31am On Nov 30, 2012
I foresee an Arab contingency alliance in the near future declaring war on Israel after prompting the Independent and troll bait Palestine Nation to agitate Israel.

Israel will stick kick their a55 all over again like in 67.
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 2:32am On Nov 30, 2012
Nothing special but anything is better than nothing...

I'll like see how the whole thing plays out, however, Palestine would have to compromise and will probably lose Jerusalem...

This is more reason why they need to pray for Israel to self-destruct and attack Iran, that's the only country in the ME that can get Israel off their back...
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Cunninlingus: 2:33am On Nov 30, 2012
shymexx: Nothing special but anything is better than nothing...

I'll like see how the whole thing plays out, however, Palestine would have to compromise and will probably lose Jerusalem...

This is more reason why they need to pray for Israel to self-destruct and attack Iran, that's the only country in the ME that can get Israel off their back...

You are such a pathetic f00l. Stay out of issues that neither concerns you or of which you know little or nothing of.
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 2:34am On Nov 30, 2012
HAH: For israel to be culled out of palestine in 1948 by UN is like today" because of segregation you bring black americans back to africa and let say taking south-south Nigeria and giving them since their ancestors 300 years ago were enslaved. and even after we agree that they should be given theland they start encroaching on south east. and soth west with the backing of US. to an extend they almost capture the entire country. Don't you think we Nigerians will do anything to see that to protect ourselves and get our land back.

What a ridiculous comparison? How did the expansion happen? Did Israel just annex thw whole land? Who launched war against Israel in 1948? in 1967, 1973? If SE or SW repeatedly launched war against SS, would it be out of place for SS to annex part of such territories as buffer zones? The essential fact has been implied in your response. You agreed, implicitly, that the black Americans were initially taken from Africa and rightfully returned to Africa. So the whole hullabaloo about territory expansion is nothing but a product of war. Capturing territories through war is not an Israeli invention. It has been since time immemorial. How did the Ottoman empire capture the present day Israel? Was it through peace or empire expansion executed via war?

Who in the world is not aware that the word black is nothing but Africa? No matter where you are, once you are black, you share a peculiar history with Africa. Tell me where Hebrew is synonymous with? Caribbeans? America? Africa?

10 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by miqos02(m): 2:37am On Nov 30, 2012
Good for them

1 Like

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 2:37am On Nov 30, 2012
shymexx: Nothing special but anything is better than nothing...

Reasonable. That's why the Israeli ll not attack Iran without an understanding with US.The only Islamic state capable of challenging Israel is Iran.
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 2:38am On Nov 30, 2012
Cunninlingus:

You are such a pathetic f00l. Stay out of issues that neither concerns you or of which you know little or nothing of.

Who the fvck are you? - Another bible thumper who thinks Yisrael is the promised land, no? And the Jews are the chosen people?? Bwahahahahahahaha

You'll wait forever for rapture... undecided undecided

7 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 2:39am On Nov 30, 2012
Palestine would have to compromise and will probably lose Jerusalem.

That's the bone of contention. Neither side wants to lose Jerusalem. Both sides have emotional attachment.
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 2:42am On Nov 30, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Reasonable. That's why the Israeli ll not attack Iran without an understanding with US.The only Islamic state capable of challenging Israel is Iran.

Israelis are not suicidal - they know they'll lose most of the occupied territories and Golan Heights, with all the fresh water there...

Perhaps, that's why they're trying to lure the Americans into doing their dirty work for them...

1 Like

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 2:48am On Nov 30, 2012
shymexx:

Israelis are not suicidal - they know they'll lose most of the occupied territories and Golan Heights, with all the fresh water there...

Perhaps, that's why they're trying to lure the Americans into doing their dirty work for them...

Excellent. They know any war with Iran ll not be one sided and in any event of "Arab Solidarity", strategic locations like Golan heights ll be lost. But they know America can take care of Iran without significant dent and ME political structure ll be, essentially, intact.
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Cunninlingus: 2:53am On Nov 30, 2012
shymexx:

Who the fvck are you? - Another bible thumper who thinks Yisrael is the promised land, no? And the Jews are the chosen people?? Bwahahahahahahaha

You'll wait forever for rapture... undecided undecided

go fark a goat.
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 2:54am On Nov 30, 2012
I see another war breaking out btwn isreal and the arabs. this time, isreal will get back sinai and other arabs will go down begging again. but this time it shall be different, since the world doesnt want to put the security of isreal as a their responsibbility, let not drum support for negotiation when isreal reclaim the greater jewish land and establish everlasting soverignity. Do palestinians want a state? who will fund them? how willl they get resources? will they continue depending on aids? think again. Bilad shams are the most corrupt arabs. they will continue selling out. shiiiit.

1 Like

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by HAH: 2:54am On Nov 30, 2012
Did you know that Israel allots 85% of the water resources for Jews, and the remaining 15% is divided among all Palestinians in
the territories? For example in Hebron, 85% of the water is set aside for about 400 Jewish settlers, while the remaining 15% is
distributed among Hebron's 120, 000 Palestinians?
Did you know that the United States awards Israel $5 billion in aid each year from American tax dollars?
Did you know that US aid to Israel ($1.8 billion annually in military aid alone) exceeds the aid the US grants to the entire African
continent? This aid is used both to buy American weaponry and to buy arms made in Israel.
Did you know that Israel is awaiting an additional $4 billion worth of American military hardware, including new F-16s and
Apache and Blackhawk helicopters. As Israel's main ally and supporter internationally, the United States is committed to
maintaining the Jewish state's "qualitative edge" in weapons over its neighbours.
Did you know that the U.S. administration has notified Congress on numerous occasions that Israel has violated the rules on how
US-supplied weapons are used? (In 1978, 1979 and 1982 during fighting in Lebanon, and once after Israel's bombing of an Iraqi
nuclear reactor in 1981.)
Did you know that Israel is the only country in the Middle East that refuses to sign the nuclear non-proliferation treaty and bars
international inspections from its sites?
Did you know that Israel blew up an American diplomatic facility in Egypt and attacked a US warship in international waters (the
USS Liberty), killing 33 and wounding 177 American sailors and the US did nothing about it? (Imagine if an Islamic country like
Iraq did this!)
Did you know that Israel stands in defiance of 69 United Nations Security Council Resolutions?
Did you know that Israel's current Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, was found by an Israeli court to be "personally and directly
responsible" for the Sabra and Shatilla massacre in Lebanon where more than a thousand innocent Palestinian men, women, and
children were axed to death or lined up and shot in cold blood?
Did you know that on May 20, 1990, a group of unarmed Palestinian labourers were lined up and murdered by an Israeli solider
as they sat waiting for transportation back to Gaza? The terrified labourers who gathered in an area of southern Israel known as
Rishon Lezion (known to Palestinians by its Arabic name Oyon Qara) handed their ID cards to the Israeli soldier. The soldiers
ordered the distressed labourers to kneel down and face the ground and unexpectedly showered them with a barrage of bullets,
killing seven and wounding many others. Needless to say, the soldier was not charged with any crime.
Did you know that until as recently as 1988, Israelis were permitted to run "Jews Only" job ads?
Did you know that the Israeli Foreign Ministry pays six US public relations firms to promote a "positive image" of Israel to the
American public?
Did you know that Sharon's coalition government includes a party--Molodet--which advocates ethnic cleansing by openly calling
for the forced expulsion of all Palestinians from the occupied territories?
Did you know that recently-declassified documents indicate that David Ben-Gurion approved of the forced expulsion of Arabs
from all Palestinian territory in 1948?
Did you know that the former chief rabbi of Israel, Rabbi Ovadia Yossef, who is also a founder and spiritual leader of the religious
Shas party (Israel's third largest political party) openly advocates a 'Final Solution' to annihilate the Palestinians? Speaking at the
widely broadcast sermon marking the last Passover, he declared of the Palestinians: "The Lord shall return their deeds on their
own heads, waste their seed and exterminate them, devastate them and vanish them from this world. It is forbidden to be
merciful to them. You must send missiles to them and annihilate them. They are evil and damnable."
Did you know that Palestinian refugees make up the largest portion of the refugee population in the world?
Did you know that Palestinian Christians are considered the "living stones" of Christianity because they are the direct descendants
of the disciples of Jesus Christ? And the Palestinian Christians stand united with their Muslim brethren in the struggle against the
Israeli occupation.
Did you know that despite a ban on torture by Israel's High Court of Justice, torture has continued unabated by Shin Bet
interrogators on Palestinian prisoners?
Did you know that despite every Israeli attempt to disrupt Palestinian education, Palestinians have the highest ratio of PhDs per
capita in the world?
Did you know that the right of self-determination is guaranteed to every human being under the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights [December, 1948], yet Palestinians were/are expected to negotiate for this right under the Oslo Accords?
Did you know that despite what is widely perpetuated and written in the history books that the Arabs attacked Israel in the 1967
war, it was Israel who attacked the Arab countries first, capturing Jerusalem and the West Bank, and called the attack a pre-
emptive strike?
Did you know that, as an occupying power, Israel has a particular responsibility under the Geneva Conventions to protect
Palestinian civilians?
Did you know that, despite Ariel Sharon's public call for a unilateral ceasefire, Israeli soldiers have not stopped shooting, killing or
bulldozing Palestinian homes? The most recent example of this is the murder of three innocent women who were shot by an
Israeli tank as they sat in their tent!
http://ahsanjehangir..com/2012/11/israeli-international-terrorism-since.html?m=1

6 Likes

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Everest9(m): 3:02am On Nov 30, 2012
good for them
Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by tonyflez(m): 3:02am On Nov 30, 2012
Cunninlingus:

Re: UN Declares Palestine As Non-Member State by Nobody: 3:07am On Nov 30, 2012
@HAH

Interesting.

Tell, did Israel force US to giver her aids? Did Israel force US to deny Palestinians aids? Is US a puppet or vassal state to Israel?

Who should be the priority of Israel-her citizens or the folks that swore to her destruction? You want Israel to give them 85% and give her citizens 15%?
You mentioned extremists on the Israeli side but remained silent about Hamas refusal to recognize the very existence of Jewish people. If Israel pays PR firms to promote positive image in US, why is Palestine not doing the same thing? Is Israel also preventing them from doing the same? If Israel attacked US but there was no retaliatory response from US, how is that your problem? If US is doing all these stuffs for Israel, what prevents other strong nations from doing same for Palestine?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nelson Mandela And His First Wife Evelyn Mase / Zimbabwe Plans New Currency As Dollar Shortage Bites / Greeks Self- Inject HIV To Claim $950 In Monthly Health Benefits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.