Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? (3589 Views)

Miracles And Signs At The RCCG Camp with video and pictures / Top 10 Astonishing Miracles (international) / The Name Of Jesus Christ Carries Power, Authority And Distinction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 30, 2012
Hi everyone, sorry to bother you with this but I just couldn't help but ask this question about drawing a distinction between miracles and magics. I really would appreciate it if people would refrain from insults and sly remarks that are meant to make someone's religious views look bad. Thanks!
My thoughts:
If someone is to write a religious book about this age, I guess the caption might read: "The age of miracles". The pursuit of miracles has really grown geometrically since the time of Christ. As much as I believe that miracles can and do indeed happen, I really do not think that all that we see today can be attributed to miracles. Even in d scriptures, there was a case where someone was accused of performing signs and wonders with the aid of diabolical means. Hence the question, in an age where the pursuit of miracles is so rampant, how do we tell the difference between a miracle from God and one brought about by the devil? Or better still, where do we draw d line between miracles and magics?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Emmyk(m): 8:46am On Nov 30, 2012
#coughs# Brb plz

1 Like

Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Joagbaje(m): 10:12am On Nov 30, 2012
Magic are mind tricks by illusionists but miracles are supernatural acts if God through faith. I think there seems to be a difference between the magics of today and the magics of bible days. I once did a thread on this but mockers attacked it with pollution. My observation is that the magic of the bible days were supernatural more like witchcraft and soccery .
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by CrazyMan(m): 10:31am On Nov 30, 2012
Miracle is an act of God, while magic is an act of humans period...

A typical example is in the book of Exodus when moses and pharoah displayed supernatural powers.

I noticed something unique in that book...when power mix with power, the less power would always bow to the greater power...pharoah's magic bowed to the supreme power of God.

So...magic being from the world is lesser, and miracles being from God is much greater.
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 30, 2012
Joagbaje: Magic are mind tricks by illusionists but miracles are supernatural acts if God through faith. I think there seems to be a difference between the magics of today and the magics of bible days. I once did a thread on this but mockers attacked it with pollution. My observation is that the magic of the bible days were supernatural more like witchcraft and soccery .

I agree with the points you raised. Yes, magic has to do with illusions but would u like to talk more about how this fit into some of what we see thes days?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 30, 2012
CrazyMan: Miracle is an act of God, while magic is an act of humans period...

A typical example is in the book of Exodus when moses and pharoah displayed supernatural powers.

I noticed something unique in that book...when power mix with power, the less power would always bow to the greater power...pharoah's magic bowed to the supreme power of God.

So...magic being from the world is lesser, and miracles being from God is much greater.

I believe you have put this discuss in proper perspective. I agree that magic is quite different from what was experienced in the scriptures. Don't you think that since it is possible to evoke supernatural powers through diabolical means, it is also possible that some of what we see today might have some diabolical undertone? If this is the case, how do you think we can best decipher these spirits and know which are genuine from those that aren't?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by OsunOriginal: 6:05pm On Nov 30, 2012
There is magic but nothing like miracle except things we dont understand. With deep thought and research, we can understand and explain most of the things people call miracle.

However I am not talking about the modern day miracle by our churches... They abuse the word so much that every magic and abracadabra is called a miracle.

With all the miracle shout, I have not seen any pastor publicly turning water into petrol - we all queue for patrol even during scarcity and paying through their nose for it. Why can't one of them use their miracle to turn water into petrol?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Sirniyeh(m): 6:55pm On Nov 30, 2012
We should please desist from allowing english grammar and scripture to destablise our sense of resoning. Miracle and magic means same thing. Both miracle and magic are induce by the spirit. Something that can not be explained by human sense is explained by human mind to either be miracle or magic. Moses invoked spirit likewise pharaoh, they both performed miracle and magic but the fact that moses spirit overide pharoah does not make one of God and another satan. Spirit invocations have dimensions, that's why the outcome manifests in different forms. Both miracle and magic are manifesting in the churches. Magic is when lay hands on people and they fall down. Magic is when they use anointing oil to anoint you. Both magic and miracle are supernaturally invoked. Jesus did magic by turning water to wine and multiplied loaves of bread to feed thousands of people. But people call it miracle. The two can not be seperated.
God doesnt do both miracle and magic, but man has being blessed with inbuilt potential to do both. No wonder people call me magician and others baba miracle worker.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by mumumugu(m): 9:59pm On Nov 30, 2012
Magic is frm devil.miracle is from God
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 30, 2012
OsunOriginal: There is magic but nothing like miracle except things we dont understand. With deep thought and research, we can understand and explain most of the things people call miracle.

However I am not talking about the modern day miracle by our churches... They abuse the word so much that every magic and abracadabra is called a miracle.

With all the miracle shout, I have not seen any pastor publicly turning water into petrol - we all queue for patrol even during scarcity and paying through their nose for it. Why can't one of them use their miracle to turn water into petrol?

But jesus turned water to wine. How do you explain what happens when a young man throws his clothe up and it sticks there? Speaking from experience.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 12, 2012
Joagbaje: Magic are mind tricks by illusionists but miracles are supernatural acts if God through faith. I think there seems to be a difference between the magics of today and the magics of bible days. I once did a thread on this but mockers attacked it with pollution. My observation is that the magic of the bible days were supernatural more like witchcraft and soccery .
Magic is soccery. If you check the real meaning of magic,it's tantamount to soccery.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Brisingr(m): 5:37am On Dec 16, 2012
Reyginus: But jesus turned water to wine. How do you explain what happens when a young man throws his clothe up and it sticks there? Speaking from experience.
misdirection or sleight of the hand
magicians perform magic sometimes this performance might be so good it may be termed as miracle only if there is know rational way to explain it.
Miracles are supernatural occurence that can not be explained yet
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Dec 16, 2012
Brisingr: misdirection or sleight of the hand
magicians perform magic sometimes this performance might be so good it may be termed as miracle only if there is know rational way to explain it.
Miracles are supernatural occurence that can not be explained yet so i think miracle is magic that the human mind cannot understand.
What are you talking about?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Brisingr(m): 7:24pm On Dec 16, 2012
I meant the cloth changing to stick might have been some form of trickery
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by anthonypeters(m): 11:20pm On Dec 16, 2012
Truth is that most of the things we see today are not miracles. But it is very easy to know a miracle; if the person who performed the so called miracle could not administer Salvation to the recipient of the miracle, then it is no miracle. Salvation is the only way to receieve from God. God is too holy to sojourn in a dirty soul, forget about the faith dogma that is being pardaded; no faith exists without salvation

1 Like

Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 7:24am On Dec 17, 2012
Brisingr: I meant the cloth changing to stick might have been some form of trickery
And I'm asking, what kind of trick?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Brisingr(m): 11:57am On Dec 17, 2012
Reyginus: And I'm asking, what kind of trick?
oh I don't know but behind the magic am sure is a simple explanation but we are always distracted either by brillant showmanship or a beautiful assistant.and they never reveal there secrets
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 17, 2012
Brisingr: oh I don't know but behind the magic am sure is a simple explanation but we are always distracted either by brillant showmanship or a beautiful assistant.and they never reveal there secrets
Lol. Nairalanders! To begin with, how can we be sure of what we don't know?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Brisingr(m): 5:44am On Dec 19, 2012
Reyginus: Lol. Nairalanders! To begin with, how can we be sure of what we don't know?
the fact that u didn't spot the young man secret of the cloth to stick routine doesn't mean he actually change cloth to stick.we approach magic shows expecting to be mystified so we do not spot the 'tell' as they call it but always looking to get a mind blowing experience but tell me did you ask your self why he threw the cloth up for It to change ?
P.s do u watch movies ?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 19, 2012
Brisingr: the fact that u didn't spot the young man secret of the cloth to stick routine doesn't mean he actually change cloth to stick.we approach magic shows expecting to be mystified so we do not spot the 'tell' as they call it but always looking to get a mind blowing experience but tell me did you ask your self why he threw the cloth up for It to change ?
P.s do u watch movies ?
He did that to achieve two things:
1. To display how spiritually connected he is.
2. To intimidate the person trying to engage him in a fight.
My question still is, what sort of trick is it? Are their not certain things that are metaphysical?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by OsunOriginal: 7:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
Reyginus: But jesus turned water to wine. How do you explain what happens when a young man throws his clothe up and it sticks there? Speaking from experience.

Have you read about "Sango Olukoso", fire used to come out from his mouth as well whenever he was angry. All these na magic simple.
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Dec 19, 2012
OsunOriginal:

Have you read about "Sango Olukoso", fire used to come out from his mouth as well whenever he was angry. All these na magic simple.
Exactly the point that I'm trying to make him understand. That it is all beyond the physical laws.
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Brisingr(m): 5:14pm On Dec 21, 2012
Reyginus: He did that to achieve two things:
1. To display how spiritually connected he is.
2. To intimidate the person trying to engage him in a fight.
My question still is, what sort of trick is it? Are their not certain things that are metaphysical?
sure their are somethings, i never new it was a fight i thought it was an ordinary magic show,but surely he couldn't change it into something more threatening,lebe perhaps ?
Re: How Can One Draw A Distinction Between Miracles And Magic? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 21, 2012
Brisingr: sure their are somethings, i never new it was a fight i thought it was an ordinary magic show,but surely he couldn't change it into something more threatening,lebe perhaps ?
Your point?

(1) (Reply)

Why I Left Islam [my Story] / God, Creation and Miracles or Evolution? / Popular "PAMELA WHY" Pastor - Alph Lukau Raised A Dead Man In His Church - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.