Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,476 members, 7,801,200 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly (1328 Views)

Poll: How Bad An Idea Is This?

Bonkers!: 12% (1 vote)
Extremely Bonkers!: 25% (2 votes)
So Bad I Can't Think Of Any Pejorative To Describe It.: 37% (3 votes)
I'm Sexually Repressed So Its A Great Idea: 25% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Senator Bala Ibn'Nallah's Dress Code To An Event Right? (pics) / Rotimi Amaechi - The Talk Of The Town, See His Dressing To The US / Akpabio's Extravagance And Misplaced Priorities In Akwa Ibom State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by 4Play(m): 3:43pm On Feb 11, 2008
If you ever wondered which one of the innumerable pressing issues our legislators are busying themselves with,look no further.

With electricity and water supply running 24 hours in Nigeria,crime reduced to zero and the Niger-Delta an oasis of peace;our great men and women of the National Assembly have turned to that issue of paramount importance-"indecent dressing"

But by far, the bigger drama over dress code is represented by the debate of a bill now before the National Assembly titled: "an Act to Prohibit and Punish Public Nudity, Sexual Intimidation and Related Offences". The Bill has passed through the Second Reading stage at the Senate. It is sponsored by Senator Eme Ekaette from Akwa Ibom state, Chairperson of the Senate Committee on Women and Youth Affairs. She says indecent dressing promotes "vices in the society, we are seeing a lot of moral decadence in the society today." She says her bill will help "to preserve cultural norms and values". .Hear her: "If you want to wear something, I believe that there are certain parts of the body that must be covered. You cannot go naked in the name of fashion."

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/feb/8/31.html

Sad thing is. . . . . . .we can't even blame the Mu.slims for this one embarassed Even that therapeutic blame game has been denied us by this Ekaette of a woman and her co-conspirators. sad
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by ndubest(m): 4:29pm On Feb 11, 2008
Instead of working on the national budget lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

that naija for you cheesy cheesy
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 11, 2008
4 Play:

Sad thing is. . . . . . .we can't even blame the Mu.slims for this one  embarassed Even that[b] therapeutic blame game[/b] has been denied us by this Ekaette of a woman and her co-conspirators.  sad

doesn't that just make you want to cry cry . don't worry, I'm sure some of the  more manic blamers will find that the woman is actually

a) from the north
b) married to a a great one
c) has a a great one uncle/patron

no release valve here. . .
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by 4Play(m): 4:44pm On Feb 11, 2008
@oyb

You sure that woman never say her Shahada in secret? undecided grin
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by Nobody: 4:54pm On Feb 11, 2008
my friend oyb is a muslim grin ( just fooling with nairaland's auto edit. . .)
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by Kobojunkie: 11:16pm On Feb 11, 2008
So,  How many man hours will they spend on this issue?? At the end of the day, how much will it have cost the Nigerian people And does yar adua not know that he is wasting Nigeria's money by allowing such I will not be shocked if it all comes to millions of Naira at the end of the day spent "deliberating" this one, LMAO!! I wonder how much was spent arguing over last year's fiasco.

OTHER SIDE OF ME
=============

I don't know how bad things have gotten down there in Nigeria enough to say the bill is not needed. It might be necessary but then again, how many hours will be logged discussing this is my only issue.
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by vigasimple(m): 12:29am On Feb 12, 2008
maybe we on nairaland should explain to the House and Yar A'dull the 'fierce urgency of now' in our nations challenges.

without a shadow of a doubt, the most potent challenges we have are corruption and unemployment.

Dressing (indecent or not) can be addressed in a simple manner by leadership by example.

if you have a leader as in the President and set of lawmakers with vision, they will be enough role model that people will simply follow their ways.

In order to address the main two challenges which is corruption and unemployment.

1. Power/energy

2. transport network - roads and rail networks, sea and air terminals

3. 6 zonal buisness mega city (as in 6 geo political zone) federal goverment in association with the State government of those zone

if we work on the above others things will fall in places and we would not have to spend too much time debating dress code etc)

In a nutshell, in order of priorities it is about number 1000 on the lists of our pressing challenges.

Good luck guys
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by DisGuy: 5:16am On Feb 12, 2008
Kobojunkie:

So, How many man hours will they spend on this issue?? At the end of the day, how much will it have cost the Nigerian people And does yar adua not know that he is wasting Nigeria's money by allowing such I will not be shocked if it all comes to millions of Naira at the end of the day spent "deliberating" this one, LMAO!! I wonder how much was spent arguing over last year's fiasco.

OTHER SIDE OF ME
=============

I don't know how bad things have gotten down there in Nigeria enough to say the bill is not needed. It might be necessary but then again, how many hours will be logged discussing this is my only issue.

now I know you don't know how these things work!!!
the president is not a school prefect per se! those people are
supposed to be acting on behalf of their constituents not only the president
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by opokonwa(m): 7:51am On Feb 12, 2008
It's equally an important issue to debate on.

The level of harassment and exposure to indecent dressing that these legislators face esp from females is very high.

You will never know until you are close to one of them. Try finding out.
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by DisGuy: 9:44am On Feb 12, 2008
opokonwa:

It's equally an important issue to debate on.

The level of harassment and exposure to indecent dressing that these legislators face esp from females is very high.

You will never know until you are close to one of them. Try finding out.

even with all their aides and special advisers??
maybe when they equip the police properly and follow due process they can sue their tormentors
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by bibiking1(m): 10:12am On Feb 12, 2008
These Guys (NASS members)are just a SICK BIG JOKE!!!!
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 12, 2008
Abeg, no blame them, the women dey fear husband snacthers
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by doyin13(m): 9:22am On Feb 13, 2008
And the law is so bad. . .

It is authorizing this brigand of criminals we call our Police oversight
over our mode of dressing.

Talk about statutory sanctioned rape angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by SkyBlue1: 9:49am On Feb 13, 2008
All i have to ask is this, has the freedom of information bill been passed or have they all forgotten about that? This government is quite testing in the patience department. I remember the big fuss Yaradua and the legislators made about that bill when he came into power and close to 9 months in power the bill has not been passed even considering the importance it has. A bill declaring Tinapa a free trade zone too has not been passed and hence the project is as good as dead till that happens. All these things and this is what they are delibrating? After the huge accusations of 419 and all that in the house of assmebly they want to be the moral beacon in our society and tell us to be 'descent', does anyone see the irony? Yaradua doesn't seem to have a plan for Nigeria after all. I used the word seem because i still want to give him the benefit of doubt. Until the freedom of information bill is passed, i will coninue to see Yaradua's rule of law thing as one big sham. People please, how long does it take them to 'read' through the bill (for the 100th time) before it is passed? Sounds like a euphemism for innaction and makes you wonder if they are not just looking for clever ways to put in loop holes.
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by janami(f): 9:42pm On Feb 13, 2008
a case of misplaced priority. they shld chk wot their children is wearing first before they impose their bill. Not to mention what some female law makers and lawmakers' wives wear to some of their so called dinner parties and weddings
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by Kobojunkie: 10:38am On Feb 15, 2008
Dis Guy:

now I know you don't know how these things work!!!
the president is not a school prefect per se! those people are
supposed to be acting on behalf of their constituents not only the president

Maybe you should go back to learn How the process works yourself before you open up to tell another that he/she does not. The president has a right under his watch to help set/influence priorities when it comes to what should be dealt with and what should be put on the back burner. If you do not know that, ask around. Do you think that if there was some other important issue on the table that was labeled extremely important, these people would put it aside and do what they want and expect that the people will believe it is for their own good?? then again we are speaking of Nigeria where anything practically goes.
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by fatherab1: 11:39am On Feb 15, 2008
From my point of view, that bill is as important as any bill. I once stayed in the national assembly quarters and you will never believe the extent to which those abuja babes can go to get a hold of an Hon.This or Sen.That. Besides, that bill will introduce some measuer of decency to our schools and i want to believe that the rate of promisciuty/husband-snatching will fall geometrically.
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by doyin13(m): 12:01pm On Feb 15, 2008
father ab:

From my point of view, that bill is as important as any bill. I once stayed in the national assembly quarters and you will never believe the extent to which those abuja babes can go to get a hold of an Hon.This or Sen.That. Besides, that bill will introduce some measuer of decency to our schools and i want to believe that the rate of promisciuty/husband-snatching will fall geometrically.

You actually trust our police enough to enforce this law. Such naivette I never see
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Feb 15, 2008
father ab:

I charge you guilty of assuming passing a bill will change the moral scope of people who are morally bankrupt. LMAO!!! So, you believe if you get the women to cover up more there will be less issues of adultery and what not?? I do not even know how to begin with that one. In an ideal situation, it is a good bill, in Nigeria, I believe this bill needs to be addressed when it should and how it should. After watching the way these same have dealt with other issues in the past, I do hope this does not waste our time and money.
Re: Talk Of Priorities:Dress Code Bill Is Being Deliberated By The National Assembly by bawomolo(m): 2:59pm On Feb 15, 2008
so this is the priority of our national assembly?? arent' there more important issues to deal with like approving a budget??

(1) (Reply)

Who Has Been The Best President/head Of State Nigeria Ever Had? / The North Is Cheating Us - Evidence / The Effects Of Farouk Abdul (the Nigerian Terrorist) Action On Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.