Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG (6832 Views)

Ministerial Nomination: We Won't Endorse Amaechi, Rivers Senators Insist / AGBAJE WILL SACK CIVIL SERVANTS LIKE FAYOSE-LAGOS APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Idokojimmy: 12:09pm On Nov 30, 2012
ILORIN—Following the heat generated by the call of the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Mallam Lamido Sanusi on the Federal Government to sack half of its workforce, the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Chief Chukwuemeka Wogu, yesterday, assured that no worker would lose his job as the government was even desirous of creating more jobs for Nigerians.

Sanusi in a paper he presented at the 2nd Annual Capital Market Committee Retreat in Warri, Delta State, had stressed the need to prune membership of the National Assembly as well as the number of states and local governments in the country, among others.
Federal Health workers

The Labour Minister who spoke in Ilorin at the 8th National Labour Relations Summit and Fellowship Award held at the Michael Imodu National Institute for Labour Studies(MINILS), said rather than sack workers, the government has already set up job creation committee that would commence work next week on how to create more jobs in all sectors of the economy to achieve more success on the transformational agenda of the President Goodluck Jonathan administration.

According to him, “no worker will be sacked. Nobody should be afraid, the government is desirous of creating more jobs for Nigerians”.

He noted that,”though job creation is more of private sector activities, but the federal government has created an enabling environment for private sector to thrive. The government has also made a special effort on agriculture,  power, ICT, tourism and recently SURE-P programme of the government in its efforts to provide jobs for Nigerians”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/we-wont-sack-civil-servants-says-fg/
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Idokojimmy: 12:11pm On Nov 30, 2012
GEJ has demostrated again that he is on the side of the people.
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by badlucky: 12:28pm On Nov 30, 2012
GEJ has scored another point on this issue. It shows he cares about the plight of the people.
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by chuksme(m): 4:16pm On Nov 30, 2012
This Sanusi is a devil.Nothing good ever come out of him and he will surely suffer on this earth.

1 Like

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by tonymariao(m): 4:16pm On Nov 30, 2012
Why don't he first relinquish his post...Anu Mpam
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Ndoz(m): 4:16pm On Nov 30, 2012
Make i nor talk much befor mod go ban me again wel i be 5th ogrin....

Criously i don't lik Sanusi...GEJ should sack him
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Ozonna(m): 4:24pm On Nov 30, 2012
It will be a political suicide if GEJ sacks civil servants now. Any meaninful restructuring of the civil service will happen after 2015 elections (If GEJ recontests and wins)
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Welder(m): 4:27pm On Nov 30, 2012
Seriously, how have we offended this Sanusi. After ruining the banking industry, his gaze has moved to the economy (when their is a coordinating minister already), Nna eh!, this sanusi guy should be lynched oooo
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 30, 2012
Sanusi again. This guy should be a military. He is just not in touch with the plight of people. His suggestions are good only on the paper, they are not practical. No government wil try that and go away with it. Well nigeria is an exception. Suffering and smiling
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by modicum: 4:29pm On Nov 30, 2012
And the Emir of CBN has been defeated once again!

1 Like

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by rusher14: 4:41pm On Nov 30, 2012
He for sack na make e see civil disobedience never before witnessed. Nonsense!!!!'
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:46pm On Nov 30, 2012
no you won't sack them, you will keep paying them for being lazy, over-bloated workforce. never achieving anything concrete but always expending their budget into a deficit every year grin what fresh air we are breathing in Nigeria grin

2 Likes

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by youngmonie: 5:04pm On Nov 30, 2012
Really freaks me out when Nigerians cant think outside the box and see the larger picture..........so much inefficiency within the civil service

2 Likes

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by slimyem: 5:21pm On Nov 30, 2012
This is a joke...right??
though job creation is
more of private sector activities, but the
federal government has created an
enabling environment for private sector
to thrive.
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by lacicrips(m): 5:26pm On Nov 30, 2012
Idokojimmy: Job creation is more of private sector activities,but the federal government has created an enabling environment for private sector to thrive. The government has also made a special effort on agriculture,  power, ICT, tourism and recently SURE-P programme of the government in its efforts to provide jobs for Nigerians”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/we-wont-sack-civil-servants-says-fg/
I haven't seen light at my Ikeja office for 3 days now.

1 Like

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by 4Play(m): 5:27pm On Nov 30, 2012
The bloated public sector reportedly takes up to 70% of FG's expenditure. That is just sheer lunacy. The Govt can't create jobs by merely employing people, the resources to do this pales in significance to the number of unemployed. The best way to create jobs is by investing in infrastructure which will reduce the cost of running a business and by having business friendly policies such as low taxation and less red tape.

Where you have a Govt spending 70% of its resources on salary payments to public sector workers who constitute less than 10% of the adult population, this leaves the Govt with little to spend on infrastructure, health, education and security. Effectively, 90% of the Nigerian population do not feel the effects of Govt as they neither work in the public sector nor are they part of the political class.

4 Likes

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by banki(m): 5:38pm On Nov 30, 2012
whats the noise about what sanusi said, I also tow the same line the federal government must reduce the civil service workforce for so many economic reasons.

How much work does the over bloated civil service do? vis a vis the money spent on them.
what is the average age of those civil servants, how many young vibrant graduates are allowed to grow through the ranks in the civil service, how many of the are eemployed by the civil service? if those guys that have been working there for the past 20 years and contributing little or nothing to the nations growth.

The federal government should create an enabling enviroment for private businessess to grow that way more people would be employed by the private sector.

It is also a fact that civil servants are more corrupt than politicians

6 Likes

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by TeeVibes(m): 6:12pm On Nov 30, 2012
banki: whats the noise about what sanusi said, I also tow the same line the federal government must reduce the civil service workforce for so many economic reasons.

How much work does the over bloated civil service do? vis a vis the money spent on them.
what is the average age of those civil servants, how many young vibrant graduates are allowed to grow through the ranks in the civil service, how many of the are eemployed by the civil service? if those guys that have been working there for the past 20 years and contributing little or nothing to the nations growth.

The federal government should create an enabling enviroment for private businessess to grow that way more people would be employed by the private sector.

It is also a fact that civil servants are more corrupt than politicians

i really hate what you said how can you support the reduction of the civil servants.
can this be poss?
it cant pls...
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by VirginFinder: 6:20pm On Nov 30, 2012
Civil servants are the problem of this country and are worse than politicians.

It's the civil servants that keep sabotaging govt's sincere efforts just like its happening in the power sector right now.

Many of these civil servants are insolent and extremely corrupt.

I suggest the redundant ones be fired and the corrupt ones summarily executed.

1 Like

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Wendyslim(f): 6:20pm On Nov 30, 2012
Its better not to even start cos it would have bin an error
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by cocoduck: 6:22pm On Nov 30, 2012
oh my God 70% for salaries embarassed
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by banki(m): 6:43pm On Nov 30, 2012
TeeVibes:

i really hate what you said how can you support the reduction of the civil servants.
can this be poss?
it cant pls...

its the bitter truth and yes i said it, most of them contibute little or nothing but so much money is being spent on them, we have so many ministries, yet no results they should go out and find jobs in the private sector.

Let me give you an example why do we have bad roads in the country yet we have ministry of works ferma and all other departments and agencies just chopping money and doing nothing, yet the same job would be given to julius berger a private company to do?

@virgin finder why do you feel the government is sincere, the government that wants to reduce cost of governance by employing so many spokes men and media aides at the same time having more than 10 agencies and 2 ministers all doing the same job, "speaking for the president" and yet they say one thing and the president says the other, or they lift out nonsense from a page of a newspaper insert it into the presidents speech and the president comes out to dish out a false report yet you say they are working?
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by justsayemma(m): 6:46pm On Nov 30, 2012
Gej has done dis,he has done dat....bla bla bla.y wil Fg respond @ d 1st place if they ve work 2 do? In as much as I don't suport wat Sanusi said,bt dats his opinion,its nt a bill,nor a comitee report,nor or is he d coordinatin minister,so y wil a serioz govt respond to his statement.abeg mak dem face wetin dem promise us rada dan scorin cheap political points.

2 Likes

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Scissorshand(m): 6:49pm On Nov 30, 2012
The truth is the world has changed.You can't afford to be inefficient.You can't expect to continue to get paid whilst you deliver mediocre results.I have some friends in the public sector,the truth is when you compare their productivity with those of us in the private sector,despite the resources available to them(which they choose not to see),they deliver poorly.I have seen some cross to the private sector,they sweated initially,but they had to sit up.Like someone said,you must have a holistic approach to this issue.The best that I think can be done right now,is for the govt to develope a social security system for Nigerians.For those presently employed,we know that their is nothing like pension anymore,our RSAs are now pay as you go.70% on recurring expenditures is clearly unacceptable.GEJ must come up with a better and more efficient plan than this 'I won't right-size the civil service approach'.GEJ needs to start right sizing and serious and costs-cutting in his immediate area of control as a matter of urgency.If James Cameron can save tax payers 300k euros everytime he flies BA,then GEJ should do more as Nigeria is in a more desperate situation.

1 Like

Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Shenez: 7:43pm On Nov 30, 2012
Try it make the revolution start!
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by redsun(m): 7:56pm On Nov 30, 2012
More than half of nigerian civil servants are wastepipes,very unproductive like the politicians. They only go to work to steal,take bribes,put in fictitious claims as part of their shares of the federal allocation and recieve their undue wages.

Sanusi is being realistic,somebody need to do something about the avoidable waste,same as that of the wasteful senators. It could save the country billions annually.That is if the politicians dont pocket the proceeds of the cuts,it is a lose lose situation.
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Nov 30, 2012
Ozonna: It will be a political suicide if GEJ sacks civil servants now. Any meaninful restructuring of the civil service will happen after 2015 elections (If GEJ recontests and wins)

You are told money is being wasted . . . money we can no longer continue to waste, and here you are telling your president not to trim the civil service force to save money for other things? When he pulled fuel subsidy from right up under you, was it also political suicide for him? since that measure was also to save the Nation money?
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by onyxo76(m): 8:08pm On Nov 30, 2012
redsun: More than half of nigerian civil servants are wastepipes,very unproductive like the politicians. They only go to work to steal,take bribes,put in fictitious claims as part of their shares of the federal allocation and recieve their undue wages.

Sanusi is being realistic,somebody need to do something about the avoidable waste,same as that of the wasteful senators. It could save the country billions annually.That is if the politicians dont pocket the proceeds of the cuts,it is a lose lose situation.
you have a point in the civil service being overbloated but sacking over 50 % of them will not do any good to anyone.am in support of getting fresh graduates into the civil service and ask the old unproductive staff to go.
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Kobojunkie: 8:25pm On Nov 30, 2012
onyxo76: you have a point in the civil service being overbloated but sacking over 50 % of them will not do any good to anyone.am in support of getting fresh graduates into the civil service and ask the old unproductive staff to go.

Holding on to dead weight has never been known to help any country. Yes, there is bound to be some hell but sometimes it necessary in order to move forward and Nigeria has been pushing this off for way too long. The ship has been sinking in all that time.
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by Ellashow: 8:53pm On Nov 30, 2012
Dis man called Sanusi is evil, he's plotting GEJ downfall all dis while wit d help of his northern brothers and Mr. President is not intelligent enough 2 see through dis...
The plot or coup is getting bigger by d day becos dey knw GEJ is....slow poke sorry 2 say
Re: We Won't Sack Civil Servants- FG by jmaine: 9:11pm On Nov 30, 2012
Sanusi said the bitter truth . .But no sane Govt of the day can dare do that grin . . .So this is nothing new or spectacular wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Denies Terminating Lekki-epe Highway Concession Deal / Sokoto UNDP Coordinator Found Dead In Country Home / In Defence Of Buhari's Statement Of Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.