Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,826 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. (20073 Views)

Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? / Some Churches Carry-out Pregnancy Test Before Wedding: Why? / Is Anointing Oil Still Relevant In The New Testament? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by baseg25(m): 7:44pm On Nov 30, 2012
i created a thread concerning anointng service and i mention d use of anointing oil buh sum members of ds gr8 site oppose THE USE OF ANOINTING OIL...MY FELLOW NAIRALANDERS IS THE USE OF ANOINTING OIL RIGHT OR WRONG BY SUM CHURCHES...WATEVER U SUPPORT CNCERNING DS GR8 TOPIC, STATE WITH REASON
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by obyrich(m): 10:20pm On Nov 30, 2012
What type of Oil? Crude oil, olive oil, palm oil or 'special anointing' oil sourced from a spiritual market?
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by baseg25(m): 10:39pm On Nov 30, 2012
obyrich: What type of Oil? Crude oil, olive oil, palm oil or 'special anointing' oil sourced from a spiritual market?
special anointing oil

1 Like

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 11:18pm On Nov 30, 2012
@ OP,

Do you want to hold to your "church" believe and teaching or you want us to discuss "sound doctrine" concerning anointing oil I'm in for the discussion - we need to prove every truth from the word of God.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Image123(m): 12:29am On Dec 01, 2012
Goshen360: @ OP,

Do you want to hold to your "church" believe and teaching or you want us to discuss "sound doctrine" concerning anointing oil I'm in for the discussion - we need to prove every truth from the word of God.
Gosh, stop being an annoying bully. here is sound doctine,
Mat 9:29 Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you.

Mar 10:52 And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.

Some people can walk unaided, some people need an aid. Some people can see unaided, some people can only see with the use of an aid. We all need some form of aid to see somethings, maybe a recommended glasses, a microscope, or a telescope. Some people need aid for their faith. you don't need to come here or go anywhere making arguments over nothing. Perhaps you're grown up in faith, allow the kids to their toys and fun. They're not going to hell for it. You can teach them, but do it in love and in maturity.
Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

The scriptures even records the use of anointing with oil.
Mar 6:13 And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.
Psa 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Adding that to the James passage. At least, i don't expect any terrorist to come here saying that the practice is pagan or of pagan origin. God encourages faith, we are not all on the same level of faith. Some people have great faith, some people have little faith. Not all believrs are like the centurion that needs "speak the Word only". Some require a touch, some need an apron or handkerchief(Paul may have spoken the Word only for some), some have faith with some medicine, some believe and don't use medicine, some have faith with a Peter's shadow to help, some can pray for themselves, some will "catch" faith only when G.O prays for them or they reach Bonnke crusade. Some have faith to pray in their room, some need to go to a particular location/camp/mountain and their faith soars like it was looking for network. It's different strokes for different folks, that's life for you. Some people would not get their healing until they touch the hem of a particular person's garment, some is until they drink water from a particular minister. At the end, the important thing is to not miss God, His righteousness, and His Kingdom. Whether you are healed by anointing oil or by reading Bible, without holiness, no man will see God. All should live a righteous life, pleasing to God, and focus on the Head Jesus.

52 Likes

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 1:23am On Dec 01, 2012
You don finish your sermon ....@ Image123

At least, let's start with what oil is and what the purpose of oil is, what and how is oil to be used, when is oil to be used? Since you are teaching, you should have covered these areas.....I know too well your organization do drink oil, at least I used to attend in the past.

And less I forget, why tell me am being an annoying bully...what's the meaning of that So I should not talk anymore because we disagree on an issue/topic
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by baseg25(m): 7:04am On Dec 01, 2012
Goshen360: @ OP,

am a mountain of fire member...Is it only mountain of fire dat use anointing oil?..just support or oppose wif reason... i knw when ds topic is tag to d homepage dats when d real debate has just begins..@image123, i lyk ur point keep it up
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 7:10am On Dec 01, 2012
baseg25: am a mountain of fire member...Is it only mountain of fire dat use anointing oil?..just support or oppose wif reason... i knw when ds topic is tag to d homepage dats when d real debate has just begins..@image123, i lyk ur point keep it up

I think we should start with these questions,
Goshen360:

At least, let's start with what oil is and what the purpose of oil is, what and how is oil to be used, when is oil to be used? Etc
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Segunagagu(m): 7:24am On Dec 01, 2012
@op..wat kind of question is dis..it is very very very very very very very RIGHT..its in d bible..I will try and locate it and get back to u..and please don't mind all dese people on nairaland..I tell u dey can make u backslide or lead u astray..lolssssss
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Segunagagu(m): 7:27am On Dec 01, 2012
baseg25: am a mountain of fire member...Is it only mountain of fire dat use anointing oil?..just support or oppose wif reason... i knw when ds topic is tag to d homepage dats when d real debate has just begins..@image123, i lyk ur point keep it up
Am also a mfm member..don't mind peole here..its nt even only mfm dat uses annointing oil...much spiritual churches do and even good pastors...I really love my church...MFM for life..Best church in d WORLD..

3 Likes

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 7:33am On Dec 01, 2012
Segun agagu:
Am also a mfm member..don't mind peole here..its nt even only mfm dat uses annointing oil...much spiritual churches do and even good pastors...I really love my church...MFM for life..Best church in d WORLD..
Segun agagu: @op..wat kind of question is dis..it is very very very very very very very RIGHT..its in d bible..I will try and locate it and get back to u..and please don't mind all dese people on nairaland..I tell u dey can make u backslide or lead u astray..lolssssss

we have heard you....where is the place you went to look for on the oil scriptures? And please don't forget to attempt these questions,
Goshen360:

At least, let's start with what oil is and what the purpose of oil is, what and how is oil to be used, when is oil to be used?
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Segunagagu(m): 8:14am On Dec 01, 2012
Genesis 28:18-19
18 Early the next morning Jacob took the stone he had placed under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on top of it. 19 He called that place Bethel, though the city used to be called Luz

Exodus 25:6-9
6 olive oil for the light; spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense; 7 and onyx stones and other gems to be mounted on the ephod and breastpiece.

8 "Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them. 9 Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you.

Exodus 29:7-8
7 Take the anointing oil and anoint him by pouring it on his head. 8 Bring his sons and dress them in tunics

There are sOoooooooo many..if I begin..I won't finish ..check d Exodus 29:7-8. Wat do have to say about that...waiting

1 Like

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 8:21am On Dec 01, 2012
Segun agagu: Genesis 28:18-19
18 Early the next morning Jacob took the stone he had placed under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on top of it. 19 He called that place Bethel, though the city used to be called Luz

Exodus 25:6-9
6 olive oil for the light; spices for the anointing oil and for the fragrant incense; 7 and onyx stones and other gems to be mounted on the ephod and breastpiece.

8 "Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them. 9 Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you.

Exodus 29:7-8
7 Take the anointing oil and anoint him by pouring it on his head. 8 Bring his sons and dress them in tunics

There are sOoooooooo many..if I begin..I won't finish ..check d Exodus 29:7-8. Wat do have to say about that...waiting

Okay....I have heard you. We shall discuss soon. Okay. Thank you.

Plus, if you have other assignment...go and do it, it's time for me to sleep here because of time difference. I will resume this thread when I wake up.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Segunagagu(m): 8:24am On Dec 01, 2012
Goshen360:

Okay....I have heard you. We shall discuss soon. Okay. Thank you.
Okk. No problem
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 8:27am On Dec 01, 2012
Segun agagu:
Okk. No problem

Goshen360:

Plus, if you have other assignment...go and do it, it's time for me to sleep here because of time difference. I will resume this thread when I wake up.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Segunagagu(m): 8:39am On Dec 01, 2012
Goshen360:

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Snowwy: 11:41am On Dec 01, 2012
@Op,
The use of anointing oil by the church is very right. However, note that everything can be abused.
Scriptures below show the use of anointing all in the NT.:

Mark 6:13
And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

This is when the disciples were allocated in twos by Jesus to go on evangelism.

James 5:14-15
14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

That is another scripture above on anointing the sick. However note that it is the prayer of faith that heals and not the anointing oil. The anointing all can be a conduit but faith in God and not the oil is the key.

You can also see where anointing oil was used for consecration in the OT and Jesus also mentioned anointing with oil on the head as a sign of honour in Luke 7:46.

I will advise you to be be wary of those who claim to always know better than the bible even when the bible clearly states a thing.

May the Holy Spirit continually teach us all things, that is the best teaching that cannot be condemned and it requires lots of sensitivity.

1 Like

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 4:50pm On Dec 01, 2012
Snowwy: @Op,
The use of anointing oil by the church is very right. However, note that everything can be abused.
Scriptures below show the use of anointing all in the NT.:

Mark 6:13
And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

This is when the disciples were allocated in twos by Jesus to go on evangelism.

James 5:14-15
14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

That is another scripture above on anointing the sick. However note that it is the prayer of faith that heals and not the anointing oil. The anointing all can be a conduit but faith in God and not the oil is the key.

You can also see where anointing oil was used for consecration in the OT and Jesus also mentioned anointing with oil on the head as a sign of honour in Luke 7:46.

I will advise you to be be wary of those who claim to always know better than the bible even when the bible clearly states a thing.

May the Holy Spirit continually teach us all things, that is the best teaching that cannot be condemned and it requires lots of sensitivity.

I know you are referring to me indirectly. The problem with you religious people is that, when someone don't agree with you believe, you tend to be hateful and insultive. On one hand, you make sense when you said, "everything can be abused". On the other hand, you became silly in your final words and being emotional when you said, "...those who claim to always know better than the bible even when the bible clearly states a thing".

Is it the scriptural place of oil am against or the abuse of oil Since you are so spiritual, you should have been able to discern what am against and maybe if you had attempted to answer the questions above, we would have been able to get to a conclusion whether am actually teaching against scriptural place of oil or the abuse of oil.

2 Likes

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Snowwy: 5:15pm On Dec 01, 2012
Goshen360:

I know you are referring to me indirectly. The problem with you religious people is that, when someone don't agree with you believe, you tend to be hateful and insultive. On one hand, you make sense when you said, "everything can be abused". On the other hand, you became silly in your final words and being emotional when you said, "...those who claim to always know better than the bible even when the bible clearly states a thing".

Is it the scriptural place of oil am against or the abuse of oil Since you are so spiritual, you should have been able to discern what am against and maybe if you had attempted to answer the questions above, we would have been able to get to a conclusion whether am actually teaching against scriptural place of oil or the abuse of oil.

Hello Goshen,
Take a look at the initial post of the OP:
baseg25: i created a thread concerning anointng service and i mention d use of anointing oil buh sum members of ds gr8 site oppose THE USE OF ANOINTING OIL...

Now note the bold italics.....if your conscience is nominating you as one of those in the group of those opposed to anointing oil, pls do not hold me to it. undecided

This is a classic case of guilty conscience. In order words, you agree you know more than the bible?

I was talking about those opposed to the use of anointing oil in today's church and Goshen comes to face me for 'talking about him'.
And you call me silly?

Goshen, take another look at what I posted slower now and understand what I was talking about.
When you are done confirm if I am talking about those against the use of anointing oil or talking about those who have issues with it's abuse.

1 Like

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 5:24pm On Dec 01, 2012
^^^
Whatever it is, I was the major poster to that thread. Stop hiding under pretense as if you weren't referring to me indirectly, I'm too intelligent to deal with in that childish manner, okay. If you refer to the USE/ABUSE OF OIL, then what was I against? The USE OF OIL or that OIL is NOT TO BE USED Go back and read that thread also. When I say thing and people like you are slow to comprehension, then ask questions and stop referring to me "indirectly".
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Snowwy: 5:33pm On Dec 01, 2012
@Goshen,
I did not read the thread. I advised the OP to be wary of those who claim to know better than the bible even when the scriptures are clear on certain things.
You came along all wounded, called me silly even when the so called 'religious people' never uttered an insultive and hateful word against anyone.
Seriously I expected much more from you and I am amazed at the level you have been drawn to.

1 Like

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 5:45pm On Dec 01, 2012
^^^
Let your conscience also be the your judge if you weren't referring to me indirectly and When you throw "polite" insult at me indirectly. Again, I was the major poster in that thread and what I was against is the abuse of oil - In the case where a special service is dedicated to oil, there is no such practice in the scripture. People these people are not taught the purpose of oil, they have gone abusing the purpose. I commended you first words spoken in wisdom, when you said; "everything can be abused". Why are you not talking about that? That means I'm totally against the abuse NOT the use of oil when used within the scope of scripture.

You also said "some people claim to know more that scripture when it is very clear". I'm sorry to say this, I think you still issue with scriptural comprehension before you go ahead thinking I claim to know it all. So when scripture talked about oil usage, does it encourage the abuse of such usage
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Snowwy: 5:52pm On Dec 01, 2012
It's ok Goshen.
I do not need your commendation. I simply stated that it can be abused
Just like every other good thing gets abused.
I left a note to be wary however of those against it's use in other words especially with the scriptures were it showed it's use.

You came along guns blazing that I was referring to you. Fine, it is an issue of guilty conscience worrying you, simple.
The message was clear enough.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 6:32pm On Dec 01, 2012
Snowwy: It's ok Goshen.
I do not need your commendation. I simply stated that it can be abused
Just like every other good thing gets abused.
I left a note to be wary however of those against it's use in other words especially with the scriptures were it showed it's use.

You came along guns blazing that I was referring to you. Fine, it is an issue of guilty conscience worrying you, simple.
The message was clear enough.

On the bold above; then, you should have understood it is the abuse I was against, NOT whether or not to use it. Simple! If you have issues with that, that is your personal business. I'm not going to continue going in circle with you. Whether guilty conscience or not, let your conscience judge you if you aren't referring to me in directly, that in itself is a "polite insult". It's okay, there is no beef in the things of God.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Image123(m): 6:33pm On Dec 01, 2012
Snowwy: @Goshen,
I did not read the thread. I advised the OP to be wary of those who claim to know better than the bible even when the scriptures are clear on certain things.
You came along all wounded, called me silly even when the so called 'religious people' never uttered an insultive and hateful word against anyone.
Seriously I expected much more from you and I am amazed at the level you have been drawn to.

gosh is not happy about tithes, don't mind him. Every Sunday almost makes him this moody like people give from his bank a/c. It's really tithes messing up with him.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 6:39pm On Dec 01, 2012
^^^You don start abi..... grin grin grin
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Snowwy: 6:55pm On Dec 01, 2012
It beats me to imagine that a simple harmless statement to be wary about those that claim more knowledge than the bible can be so blown out of proportion.

Anointing oil is good and can be used in church and I quoted where it was used in the bible, however like every other thing it can be abused. Not referring to anyone else's post on any mysterious thread yet guilt will not allow peace.

@Image,
Very funny.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Joagbaje(m): 8:08pm On Dec 01, 2012
As snowwy said , Anything can be abused .but I thinks we have two kinds of oil. The oil of the old testament was for consecration. It was strictly for official use.

Exodus 30:36-38
And thou shalt beat some of it very small, and put of it before the testimony in the tabernacle of the congregation, where I will meet with thee: it shall be unto you most holy. 37 And as for the perfume which thou shalt make, ye shall not make to yourselves according to the composition thereof: it shall be unto thee holy for the Lord. 38 Whosoever shall make like unto that, to smell thereto, shall even be cut off from his people.

But my study reveals that Jews adopted use of oil as therapy.

But tha aside. A man of God can anoint anything to use as medium or point of contact for faith and healing. Water ,oils,cloth etc. it is not the content of the oil that it the issue, either olive or vegetable. It is rather the faith demonstrated in such action that carry the power.

1 Like

Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Image123(m): 9:40pm On Dec 01, 2012
Goshen360: You don finish your sermon ....@ Image123

[s]At least, let's start with what oil is and what the purpose of oil is, what and how is oil to be used, when is oil to be used? Since you are teaching, you should have covered these areas.....I know too well your organization do drink oil, at least I used to attend in the past.[/s]

And less I forget, why tell me am being an annoying bully...what's the meaning of that So I should not talk anymore because we disagree on an issue/topic
If you cared to read what i posted, you'd have seen that i'm not saying use of anointing oil is the way forward or 'best practice'. i've simply told you to mellow down and come off your high horse in exhorting or correcting others. that you don't use anointing oil doesn't mean it is heresy o blasphemy. Everybody is not in the same level of faith. Stop bullying others with your understanding, no bi you go first get understanding.
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Goshen360(m): 9:44pm On Dec 01, 2012
^^^Lemme pretend you are not talking to me....... grin
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by Lacuzy: 3:39am On Dec 02, 2012
am nt an mfm member but we use anointing oil in my church.there is nufin wrong wif it, depends on ur faith
Re: Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. by SisiKill1: 3:45am On Dec 02, 2012
This thread is funny!!

When they are talking to him, he pretends they aren't but the post that doesn't mention or quote him he jumps on and accuses them of talking about him. Me thinks someone needs the spirit of confusion anointed outta him. tongue

And yes I am talking to you. cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Gets A Glimpse Of Hell After Suicide Attempt / Why You Should Stop Abbreviating In Jesus Name As IJN / 7 Recognizable Traits Of Wolves In Sheep's Clothing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.