Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,497 members, 7,781,496 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:31 PM

22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja (14976 Views)

SSS Arrests Masterminds Of Jaji Bombing / 'Jaji Bombs Were Made Inside The Barracks' (Enemy Within) / Bomb Blast At Military Barracks In Jaji , Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Idokojimmy: 9:20am On Dec 01, 2012
The police and army authorities have separately begun investigations into the twin bombings at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji, Kaduna State, and the attack on the Special Anti-Robbery Squad headquarters in Abuja.
Saturday PUNCH’s investigations showed that the army authorities had arrested 10 soldiers, including men and officers on duty when the incident occurred on Sunday.

It was also learnt that 12 policemen were currently being detained over the terror attack on the SARS headquarters on Monday.  
It was reliably gathered that both agencies – the military and the police – suspected that the attacks were carried out with the assistance of internal collaborators.
There are also indications that the Jaji attacks might affect several military personnel as the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Azubuike Ihejirika, had condemned the laxity that led to the incident, thereby giving a strong indication that “heads may roll.”

This, investigations showed, might lead to the sack of some soldiers, who would also be court-marshalled.

Ihejirika had said during the opening ceremony of the 2012 Chief of Army Staff Annual Conference in Asaba, Delta State, that the blasts, which he described as saddening, could have been prevented.

He had stated, “The event of yesterday is certainly a very sad one. A board of inquiry is already instituted to unravel what happened, which we believe could have been prevented.”

It was learnt that the military high command was embittered by the fact that the second vehicle, which exploded and killed several people including the two suicide bombers and injured many, was packed within the premises of the strategic military formation in Jaji.

Saturday PUNCH reliably gathered that the military authorities were of the view that it would be difficult for such an operation to have been executed without the collaboration of insiders.

Investigators, it was learnt, were working on a theory that the second vehicle came into the premises through a route at the back of the college.  

Apart from the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji, which is in Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State, the formation is host to four other strategic military institutions.
They are the Warrant Officers Academy, Nigerian Army Peacekeeping Centre, Nigerian Army School of Infantry, Infantry Corps Headquarters.

It was gathered that the military high command is not leaving anything to chance about the ongoing investigations into the Jaji blasts, which sent jitters across the country.

Although the COAS said on Sunday that the army had set up a board of inquiry to look into the terror attacks, the Chief of Defence Staff, Admiral Ola Ibrahim, has also set up another board of inquiry to ensure that the explosions that rocked the prestigious military formation are not repeated.

The enquiry into the bomb blasts began on Wednesday.

Investigations showed that security at the strategic military formation in Jaji was not very tight as the vast settlement has no perimeter fence thereby making it possible for the facility to be accessed from other outlets.

It was further learnt that there are several civilian settlements within the military formation in Jaji, which complicate the problem of a watertight security observance in the area.
More so, the manpower for an effective security maintenance in the facility could not be said to be adequate.

It was learnt that the manpower capability of the ‘4 Demo Battalion’ entrusted with the responsibility of security maintenance in the area is seriously affected because of its involvement in internal security operations in other parts of the North.
It was further gathered that many of the officers of the 4 Demo Battalion are on deployment to flashpoints like Jos and Kafachan for internal security operations.
When our correspondent contacted the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Bola Koleosho, he said he was not aware of the issue of insiders’ collaboration as the COAS had already said that  two boards of inquiry had been set up to look into the issue.

He said, “As we are talking now, you are the first person to tell me that some soldiers have been arrested. I have not got any official position from Jaji. After the initial response, we have allowed Jaji to carry on with a news briefing.
“What I know is that investigation has started. What the investigation team is doing, I have not been briefed. There is no way I can tell the Jaji story like those on the ground. There is no way I can be commenting on that. I have been here since (this programme) Chief of Army Staff Conference started.”

However, Ihejirika said at the end of the annual conference that the military high command would be very decisive in dealing with security issues even as he charged commanders of the various units to rise to their responsibilities.

The army chief challenged all commanders to seek ways of ensuring effective security maintenance in all military formations, stressing that the absence of a fence shouldn’t be an excuse for any commander to allow what happened in Jaji to take place.

He said that fencing of the barracks could only aid security but was not the only means of ensuring tight security maintenance.

He insisted that without adequate security, a fence could be scaled and even houses broken into to commit acts of criminality.

“Well, several of our barracks have not been fenced and in the last two years; we must have fenced maybe two or three, at most four. But we are talking about almost 80 barracks that are not fenced.

“So, doing that will entail a lot of resources, a lot of support which the current budget may not contain. But again, whether barracks are fenced or not, it does not serve as an excuse for any commander to allow what happened to happen.

“But one thing I would say is that the lack of fence compounds the challenge. So, every commander must think of ways of putting in his best to ensure that what happened in Jaji does not happen again.

“What is important is that you put in your best in terms of planning, in terms of security measures, in terms of intelligence. Even when barracks are fenced, fences could be climbed, houses could be broken up, and we are not going to fence cities. So, what it means is that fencing of barracks would not be the only solution but it would aid security,” Ihejirika said.

On the attack on SARS, investigations showed that contrary to the claim by the police, five Boko Haram members escaped during the incident.

It was also gathered that some of the attackers wore military and police uniforms. 

When contacted and asked about the arrest of policemen, the Deputy Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Frank Mba, a chief superintendent of police, said he was not aware of any arrest.

“I don’t know whether some policemen were arrested in connection with the attack on SARS,” he said over the telephone on Thursday.

https://www.punchng.com/news/jaji-abuja-terror-attacks-army-police-arrest-22-officers/

1 Like

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by mankevo(m): 9:56am On Dec 01, 2012
These attacks really exposed our collective self denial.
When Uk Guardian few weeks ago described Nigeria Security operation as shocking, many of us were here hurling insult on them
"The Nigerian army is in a shocking state," said the source, who has seen recent assessments of Ecowas's military capability. "In reality there is no way they are capable of forward operations in Mali – their role is more likely to be limited to manning checkpoints and loading trucks."

"The Nigerian forces lack training and kit, so they simply don't have the capability to carry out even basic military manoeuvres," the source added. "They have poor discipline and support. They are more likely to play a behind-the-scenes role in logistics and providing security."

These two attacks have confirmed that even the role of manning check points is still questionable because if they are trusted with check points, then the attacks would have been nipped in the bud.

My saddness is not in the security personnel, but on those who sit on their funds, training allowance, equipment/ammunition allocation .....etc etc. Help remove gun weilding officer along Ngor okpala---Etche road (collecting N20 from local trucks) and send him to training and lets watch where these millitants will enter from.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/05/nigerian-army-mali-mission-delayed?INTCMP=SRCH

6 Likes

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 01, 2012
The affected officers should be charged with treason and they should be sentenced to death, else, if they come outta jail, they are definitely go & join the terrorist organisation voluntarily. Remember, they are trained paramilitary and military personnels.
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by malc619(m): 11:03am On Dec 01, 2012
I hope this arrestment will lead to a surrender of the peoples behind boko haram.... angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by otokx(m): 1:19pm On Dec 01, 2012
Junk media report as usual.

1 Like

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by mejai(m): 1:30pm On Dec 01, 2012
All talk and no action makes boko haram a stronger group.
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by heed101(m): 1:37pm On Dec 01, 2012
i am back. feeling cool from ban.
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by naja2: 1:54pm On Dec 01, 2012
corruption is the biggest problem facing this gad dem kontiri. There os hardly any col in the Nigeria army that is not a multi millionaire yet the ratings and other junior officer remain poorly paid,poorly equiped and trained. Yet senior military oofficers serving or rtd are among the richest Nigerian

1 Like

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Godjone(m): 2:22pm On Dec 01, 2012
as for me, i suspect some muslim soldiers that have sympathy for boko haram were behind the act
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by aurenflani: 2:36pm On Dec 01, 2012
Godjone: as for me, i suspect some muslim soldiers that have sympathy for boko haram were behind the act

As for you - nothing for your hypocracy but disappointment because clearly you don't know that the army are not dealing in religious bigotry.

3 Likes

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
Abeg heads shd roll so dat man piking go see opportunity join army. Abi unemployed nairalanders una no want join jtf pursue boko haram?
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Wsdm: 2:44pm On Dec 01, 2012
What baffled me is Nigerians approach to sensitive national issues. If these personnel are to be charged with laxity, then many so called government officials should also be charged by the populace for underperformance. Is it enough to barricade the roads and feel you are curbing terrorism? Are the military personnel spirit to be able to see through a car ridden with bomb? Why can't the government use the huge budget on security to procure latest gadgets to detect these boys from a far? It is clear that corruption is at work again.

2 Likes

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Godjone(m): 2:48pm On Dec 01, 2012
aurenflani:

As for you - nothing for your hypocracy but disappointment because clearly you don't know that the army are not dealing in religious bigotry.
who told u mr too know? Av u 4goten the military officer that was arrested in borno state govt lodge alongside Kabiru sokoto? Wat abt many ex-soldiers that av so far being arested in conection wit boko violence? Abeg if u no know ask make them tel u busy-body!!!

4 Likes

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by captalex(m): 3:23pm On Dec 01, 2012
Jaji is not a small thing o, senior military officers and foreign miltary personnel are there to train and attend conference, and these people wer lax enough to allow insurgents to get in a blowup a church. simply sad.
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Nobody: 3:39pm On Dec 01, 2012

He had stated, “The event of yesterday is certainly a very sad one. A board of inquiry is already instituted to unravel what happened, which we believe could have been prevented.
It was learnt that the military high command was embittered by the fact that the second vehicle, which exploded and killed several people including the two suicide bombers and injured many, was packed within the premises of the strategic military formation in Jaji.

Prevented by who me? a "bloody civilian"? If a whole military formation whose duty it is to protect the fukn country inclusive of "bloody civilian" like me cant protect itself from terrorist attacks then tell me why they are still wearing the goddamn uniform and ranks!They should pull off the fukn uniform and join the civilians!

The id!ot is telling us the suicide bombers car was parked within the premises of the strategic military formation - ok! so should we start break dancing to that? shameless fools!

The military needs a full overhaul! but of course it will never happen under a PDP led government!

fukn fuked up country! angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by redsun(m): 3:43pm On Dec 01, 2012
Nigeria is more like somalia,nothing works.Soon aso rock banquet hall will be blown away,because even at the level,nothing still works.They live by strokes of luck,that is why they keep praying.

Nigeria is like a helpless toddler with incapacitated guardians.
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Zet72(m): 3:50pm On Dec 01, 2012
I think ihegirika was on point by saying fencing or no fencing shouldn't be excuse for such laxity on the part of security personal manning their premises.
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by drnoel: 3:54pm On Dec 01, 2012
let them keep the denying it, thats the best thing Nigerian leadership is good in....
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by nagoma(m): 3:54pm On Dec 01, 2012
Godjone: as for me, i suspect some muslim soldiers that have sympathy for boko haram were behind the act
Eediot! they will always find egg heads and unintelligent people like you to play on. PDP is BH and the truth will come out in the end.
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by nagoma(m): 4:01pm On Dec 01, 2012
Wsdm: What baffled me is Nigerians approach to sensitive national issues. If these personnel are to be charged with laxity, then many so called government officials should also be charged by the populace for underperformance. Is it enough to barricade the roads and feel you are curbing terrorism? Are the military personnel spirit to be able to see through a car ridden with bomb? Why can't the government use the huge budget on security to procure latest gadgets to detect these boys from a far? It is clear that corruption is at work again.

You have no government. This is FRESH AIR. Enjoy it!

1 Like

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by PehaKaso: 4:03pm On Dec 01, 2012
You are 100% on point. smiley
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by PehaKaso: 4:08pm On Dec 01, 2012
nagoma:

Oponu, GEJ Chief Hater but FYI no GEJ no Nigeria cheesy

1 Like

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 01, 2012
nagoma:

You are dead wrong, this are the enemies of fresh air
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Godjone(m): 4:15pm On Dec 01, 2012
nagoma:
Eediot! they will always find egg heads and unintelligent people like you to play on. PDP is BH and the truth will come out in the end.
foool! And the bigest idieot that is in you cud not alow u aproach and issue inteligently. Between me and you, who is un-inteligent? Ediiet! Baggar! Stack-foool
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Gnosticmovement(m): 4:20pm On Dec 01, 2012
mankevo: These attacks really exposed our collective self denial.
When Uk Guardian few weeks ago described Nigeria Security operation as shocking, many of us were here hurling insult on them
"The Nigerian army is in a shocking state," said the source, who has seen recent assessments of Ecowas's military capability. "In reality there is no way they are capable of forward operations in Mali – their role is more likely to be limited to manning checkpoints and loading trucks."

"The Nigerian forces lack training and kit, so they simply don't have the capability to carry out even basic military manoeuvres," the source added. "They have poor discipline and support. They are more likely to play a behind-the-scenes role in logistics and providing security."

These two attacks have confirmed that even the role of manning check points is still questionable because if they are trusted with check points, then the attacks would have been nipped in the bud.

My saddness is not in the security personnel, but on those who sit on their funds, training allowance, equipment/ammunition allocation .....etc etc. Help remove gun weilding officer along Ngor okpala---Etche road (collecting N20 from local trucks) and send him to training and lets watch where these millitants will enter from.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/05/nigerian-army-mali-mission-delayed?INTCMP=SRCH

gbam.....nigerians argued dat the guardian report was outta jealousy...now dey can see d manifestation of d army's incompetence....
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by yanni1(m): 5:30pm On Dec 01, 2012
Gnosticmovement:
gbam.....nigerians argued dat the guardian report was outta jealousy...now dey can see d manifestation of d army's incompetence....

And u had to quote the whole story to say this?
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Hadone(m): 6:09pm On Dec 01, 2012
DONT MIND THEM. THEY'RE ALL KILLRISTIANS BOMBING THEIR INNOCENT BROTHERS AT CHURCHES JUST TO GIVE ISLAM A BAD NAME AND GAIN SOME TOKEN CASH AMOUNT OF MONEY.
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by solomon111(m): 6:34pm On Dec 01, 2012
Gnosticmovement:
what do you know about incompetence?
The NA is incompetent,yet it is one of the UN most valuable army,far more effective in peace-keeping missions than the UK.
Mr man,your brain is incompetent.
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by solomon111(m): 6:38pm On Dec 01, 2012
Had_one: DONT MIND THEM. THEY'RE ALL KILLRISTIANS BOMBING THEIR INNOCENT BROTHER AT CHURCHES JUST TO GIVE ISLAM A BAD NAME AND GAIN SOME TOKEN CASH AMOUNT OF MONEY.
yes,i am sure it is still the christians causing the various terrorists attacks in Egypt,mali,afghanistan,pakistan,palestine,syria e.t.c.
Son,islam will always have a bad reputation till the end of time.
DEALWITHIT!

1 Like

Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by Soukiss(m): 9:58pm On Dec 01, 2012
upon all wht u cal d army. NA army i will not cal it one of d best . put the best infantry soja in de world. gbam
Re: 22 Officers Arrested Over Jaji & SARS Attacks In Abuja by nagoma(m): 10:09pm On Dec 01, 2012
PehaKaso: Oponu, GEJ Chief Hater but FYI no GEJ no Nigeria cheesy

With GEJ still no Nigeria. Even more so.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Don't Declare Niger Delta Republic - Edwin Clark Begs Militants / EFCC Detains Banu Kwara Finance Commissioner, Accountant General / Amaechi Queries LADOL For Receiving Ships Carrying Oil, Gas-related Cargoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.