Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,135 members, 7,807,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy (4314 Views)

How Du You Repair Flood Damaged Vehicles? / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou / Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy by stagger: 1:55pm On Dec 01, 2012
As we all know, many of use have cars which were at the Bayonne port, New Jersey when Hurricane Sandy struck, and Auctionexport has decided to ship the vehicles to the respective owners in Nigeria using consolidated containerized transport from Grimaldi.

SO can the car experts tell us where in Lagos one can get a complete overhaul on a flood-damaged vehicle can be done, in case one decides to fix up the car and use it for maybe 2 years before replacement?

This thread will help a lot of people if it gets to front page. Moderator and car experts like Siena, over to you.
Re: Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy by tampa1871: 8:00pm On Dec 01, 2012
Dear Mr. Stagger, I just want to express my sypathy one more time and to Pray that God will difinitely repay you in a million fold. dEPENDING ON THE EXTENT OF DAMAGE (Whether the truck was completely submerged in the water), Fixing it shouldn't be a problem and it could serve you just like any car. Most of the issues that could be affected are:
The ECU, ECM and body computer,
Wiring harness sometimes (If affected, it could be replaced and your truck will work fine)
Be4 you attempt to start, drain and refill all the fluids (Engine oil, transmission fluid, gas tank, brake)
If engine frozes up, take out the plugs, fill each cylinder with transmission fluid to free the cylinders.
Then check the starter.
If it's fresh water, the problem could be minimal, but if salt water, it could cause corrosion and electrical failure down the road. However, Cars are flooded on Nigerian roads all the time without much damage. Some people would even drive thier cars through the water, it happens on a regular basis in Nigeria and elsewhere, not any difference here in USA. But the difference is in INSURANCE classification, if you foget to close your window and you left it in the rain, you can claim and report as WATER damage even when the car runs and drive with no visible damage.
If there is any way I could be of help please feel free to contact me as I feel your pain. And I pray that everything will work out 4 ur good.
Re: Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy by stagger: 9:16am On Dec 02, 2012
^^^

Thanks for the tips. I will need a good mechanic in Lagos who can sort the vehicle out on arrival.
Re: Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy by nissparts(m): 4:12pm On Dec 03, 2012
Re: Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy by stagger: 9:00pm On Dec 03, 2012
Helpful. But we could do with more please, especially when I know that flood is a perennial problem in Lagos and I always see flood damage to vehicles in Lagos when I am there in June/July. SO surely, there must be more information.
Re: Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy by Emperoh(m): 11:28am On Dec 04, 2012
From Nigerian experience

Once had a 2007 Honda Civic submerged in Flood in Surulere last year. At least half the car went in. The whole engine bay was submerged. angry shocked
I couldn't open the door. When i eventually did, the whole cabin up to the gear level was in water shocked shocked grin grin
Was an experience. But a couple of things. If it doesn't start, drain the engine oil completely.
Pull out the plugs, all of them and bleed each plug holes.

In own case, each of those holes had buckets of water hence the mechanic had to get a pipe
and suck out (a bit dirty) all the water before he bled them.

He will normally remove one plug and then try to start the car. . . . .using his palm to cover those holes
that way, all the water spurts out and intermittently do same to other plug heads.

If it eventually comes to life, allow it to run for a whole; like 30 minutes.
The water will go out of the exhaust pipe as vapor.

It's a very long process but should sort you out if well done.
Also, be prepared for some electrical issues. Most likely, some abnormal lights on, or some sounds going non-stop
In my own case, the seat belt reminder kept sounding even after i had belt up and then the ABS and Airbag indicator
were illuminated all through. Had to strip the interior of the seats, cushions and every easily removable interior part.
It was under the sun for a whole day with all doors open. That sorted the electrical malfunctions.

1 Like

Re: Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy by stagger: 1:49pm On Dec 04, 2012
Emperoh: From Nigerian experience

Once had a 2007 Honda Civic submerged in Flood in Surulere last year. At least half the car went in. The whole engine bay was submerged. angry shocked
I couldn't open the door. When i eventually did, the whole cabin up to the gear level was in water shocked shocked grin grin
Was an experience. But a couple of things. If it doesn't start, drain the engine oil completely.
Pull out the plugs, all of them and bleed each plug holes.

In own case, each of those holes had buckets of water hence the mechanic had to get a pipe
and suck out (a bit dirty) all the water before he bled them.

He will normally remove one plug and then try to start the car. . . . .using his palm to cover those holes
that way, all the water spurts out and intermittently do same to other plug heads.

If it eventually comes to life, allow it to run for a whole; like 30 minutes.
The water will go out of the exhaust pipe as vapor.

It's a very long process but should sort you out if well done.
Also, be prepared for some electrical issues. Most likely, some abnormal lights on, or some sounds going non-stop
In my own case, the seat belt reminder kept sounding even after i had belt up and then the ABS and Airbag indicator
were illuminated all through. Had to strip the interior of the seats, cushions and every easily removable interior part.
It was under the sun for a whole day with all doors open. That sorted the electrical malfunctions.

Well, Thanks for this. This adds another dimension to the info I already have. From all I have inquired of several persons, I have been able to identify the following:

a) I have to tow the vehicle from the port to the mechanics.
b) No starting of the vehicle until transmission, oil, fuel and all vulnerable fluids are drained.
c) I probably have to strip the interior.
d) I am pretty sure I may have to invest in changing the ECU/ECM.
e) The entire wiring may have to be looked at.

I am also concerned about the power windows, central lock, etc. Anyway, until I see the vehicle's latest pics and see it live, I will not really know. More info is welcome.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Reverse Camera,Car Entertainment And GPS- Who has installed in used car / Happy Birthday To Me / Tire Inflation Discussion - What's Appropriate And What Is Not

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.