Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,629 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? (28700 Views)

10 Commandments For A Youth(lady) To Be Successful / 10 Commandments For A Youth(guy) To Be Successful / What Is The Definition Of 'olodo'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? by Antivirus92(m): 2:40pm On Dec 01, 2012
I want to know if there is a certain age bracket that the nigerian constitution refers to as youths. My main reason for asking this is because i have read somewhere in the past a newspaper which was discussing a 65years old man heading the youth section of a popular political party in nigeria. My question is :is that man a youth in nigeria?. Again, i have once greeted a woman whom in my eyes is an elderly woman "good afternoon mama" and she reacted immediately by calling me names like "onye ara! Idiot! Who are u referring to as mama? "Am i older than ur mama?. The woman in question should be around the age of 55yrs to 60. So i was wondering whether it was the greeting or the mama that provoked her, did she expect me to say "good afternoon miss or under-16". So i wanna know whom a youth is.
Re: Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? by tpia1: 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2012
Why good afternoon mama instead of good afternoon ma?

That's rude.
Re: Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? by tpia1: 3:59pm On Dec 01, 2012
Youth could be someone under 20, someone under 30, or someone under 40, depending on the context.

And generally speaking, to an 80 year old, anyone under 60 would still be a youth.
Re: Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? by Antivirus92(m): 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2012
tpia1: Why good afternoon mama instead of good afternoon ma?

That's rude.
is anything wrong with mama? Don't u know that "ma" is a short form of mama?
Re: Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? by tpia1: 6:37pm On Dec 01, 2012
instead of arguing, you should learn.

i've explained to you what you did, but you're more interested in justifying your rudeness.

ma is a polite way of addressing an older person, as long as they have no problem with it.

mama when directed at someone below your grandmother's age, is extremely rude and shows lack of home training.

in short, toutish behaviour.
Re: Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? by Antivirus92(m): 6:44pm On Dec 01, 2012
tpia1: instead of arguing, you should learn.

i've explained to you what you did, but you're more interested in justifying your rudeness.

ma is a polite way of addressing an older person, as long as they have no problem with it.

mama when directed at someone below your grandmother's age, is extremely rude and shows lack of home training.

in short, toutish behaviour.
daalu, you've tried also.
Re: Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? by tpia1: 7:52pm On Dec 01, 2012
dont worry, hope you wont end up in fisticuffs with some young upstarts when they call you old papa or grandpa.

just a matter of time!
Re: Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? by Antivirus92(m): 8:33pm On Dec 01, 2012
tpia1: dont worry, hope you wont end up in fisticuffs with some young upstarts when they call you old papa or grandpa.

just a matter of time!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Definition Of A Youth/who Is A Youth In Nigeria? by Welrez(m): 7:10am On May 02, 2018
As far as I am concerned, and based on international definitions of the word, a youth is someone coming to a sense of independence in this world. The period between childhood and adulthood. The UN, for statistical consistency across regions, defines ‘youth’ as those persons between the ages of 15 and 24 years. It can be based, for instance, on the definition given in the African Youth Charter where “youth” means “every person between the ages of 15 and 35 years". The Nigerian National Youth Policy defines youth as anyone between the age of 18 and 35. From the above definitions, it is out of place to call people like Gov Bello and Senator Melaye youth, except contextually as a distinct age group from Buhari and ilk.

(1) (Reply)

3 Fun Seekers Drown During Picnic In Benue (Graphic Pictures) / 2 Rams Engage In A Brutal Fight (Photos, Video) / Fuel Tanker Currently On Fire At Lekki Toll Gate... See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.