Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? (38614 Views)

Most African Parents Don't Know The Meaning Of Reflex(pix) / Why Are A Baby's First Words 'mama' And 'dada' / I Honestly Need To Know The Meaning Of These Words- "Boo" And "Bae" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Elebiju: 6:59pm On Dec 04, 2012
If una wan hear better history,why don't u ask d master,ehn obama na dada o infact na born dada,jonathan own thick pass bob marley own when he was 5yrs old even uncle fashola sef na dada so wetin una come dey talk
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by olaheavy: 6:59pm On Dec 04, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

What exactly are you blabbing about,punk ? You are both ignorant and stupid! Yoruba didn't develop Lagos,lagos was Nigerian capital,Yoruba joined the north and the British to force the Igbo to be part of your Nigeria including your precious lagos. Ungrateful for what?? We have contributed to the rapid growth of Lagos and her transformation. You should be kissing our ass for bringing economic power to your place.
'Odenigbo' means bush-dwelling fvcktard or jungle-dwelling asss wipe r.e.tard. That says it all, folks.
Imagine cannibalistic Igbos from the remotest and fallowed lands in the Bight of Biafra boasting that they built Yorubaland. Our Yorubaland? Woah! I laugh in igbotic, incoherent Igbo sub-human language. In fact, you masanfaani human eaters have no sense, whatsoever. How can you claim to have built other peoples' domains while yours remains in tatters? All Biafran rebels need to be tied to the stake and shot! Fvcking senseless cannibals.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Caseless: 7:31pm On Dec 04, 2012
modelmike7: . . . . . . . . E for too make sense u know. But in my post to d OP up there. You'll understand what i later did wit dreadlock later on in my adulthood years o!
ok, i didn't notice that in ur post to tha OP, that was why i asked again. U fit stil develop am sha.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 04, 2012
intrepid: WAS THERE ANY history of you been unusually sick most often or becoming sick when your hair was combed?..

Never, if anything, I've NEVER been sick... Very healthy
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by armyofone(m): 8:25pm On Dec 04, 2012
dada indeed. Marley had one of the best dada in the world...i love his mystic/dadaish song. nothing special.

backward as ever. Nothing special abt dada which is uncombed hair.
used to hear kill goat or fowl before shaving dada hair. i enjoyed chicken and goat meat. dada ko, onye ara ni.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by agohavivi(f): 5:28am On Dec 05, 2012
Rubbish! If you don't comb a child's hair, it will definitely form locks known as dada in locally. There's nothing like natural dada cos nobody is born with it.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Kobojunkie: 5:35am On Dec 05, 2012
agoha_vivi: Rubbish! If you don't comb a child's hair, it will definitely form locks known as dada in locally. There's nothing like natural dada cos nobody is born with it.

I beg to differ. My niece who has natural hair can go days without a comb in her hair and not experience any difficulties combing her hair 7 days later. I on the other hand find I have to comb my hair at least once a day to make sure I don't have to tear at it the next day when trying to comb it out. You are sort of right that no one is born "dada" but Dada phenom has to do with hair texture than it has to do with birth and all that.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by amor4ce(m): 2:27am On Dec 08, 2012
JOHN MASON: I believe there's some kind of spiritual attachments to DADA, talking from experience, I happen to be one when I was born and my mum told me that anytime they cut my hair I will faint and last up to six hours before I wake up again, and this repeated three times. So I was allowed to carry my DADA and grew up with it until I was eight years old, on one my birthdays I decided to cut my dada so I invited my class my families. Were very happy for my decision, but one thing that I or any member of my family could not explain till date was the type of visitors that came our house that day with the types of gifts they brought for me. People with very long dreads from different places came to our house without invitation.
What were your theories about their origin? Many Negroes have been misled with oyinbo ways to look down on themselves.

In the Scriptures, prophets Samuel and Ezekiel had locks as did those of his people who took vows, that is, the Nazirites (Numbers 6:1-21; Amos 2:11-12). Even Eshu the Redeemer was called a Nazarene! It seems the bad belle toward dada is primarily from those people of the Nigerian east who harbour ancient hatred for the Yoruba.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Kaioiam: 6:44pm On Jan 15, 2013
I guess neither of you have never heard of pan afrikanism. Arguing over ethnicity in 2012!! Biafra men should be shot?! Really? Are you insane!! Or just full of that Christian oppressor colonizer hate! My they have taught u well. And now Afrika suffers....Wake Up

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by OShepherd: 10:53pm On Sep 20, 2015
A friend lost a beautiful 11mnth dota 2 dat Dada stuff. Her mother uninformed abt it cut off d hair only 4 dat child 2 fall sick till she died even after spending heavily in hospitals. Dat incident almost broke dem up bt 4 GOD's intervention. Let's not 4get our roots in d name of xtianity&Islam. Dada is real!!!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 24, 2015
Kobojunkie:
For "Dadas" it usually happens in a couple of hours. If I wash my hair and forget to comb, when it dries, it becomes really hard to plow through and if left for a couple more hours, you already see the dreads forming. ROFLMAO!!! I still hate this about my hair. That is why I texturize often.

I love that about your hair cool
Leave it alone

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by ellavanilla5(f): 12:30pm On Sep 25, 2015
I love guys with dread I find them very sexy, my guy has dread and I love it
Re: What Is The Meaning Of 'dada' (dreadlocks) In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 18, 2019
Mission accomplished. It's graceful mate

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Extortion, Corruption At Ikoyi Marriage Registry / Lockdown Could Lead To 7 Million Unintended Pregnancies - UN / My Wife Left The House Because I Confronted Her Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.