Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,157 members, 7,807,531 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? (2773 Views)

He Decided To Teach Them A Lesson By Disturbing Them. Check The Pictures / Why Are We Scared Of Professing Our Faith In Public? / Let Us Profess Our Faith. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 02, 2012
Good morning,
Please I want to know your views on the above subject. I am of the opinion that the bible though God's word written by men through the inspiration of the spirit, is not meant to teach but is actually a record of what has been in the lives of God's people right from the old testament to the new. I believe it would be proper to draw inspiration and live right by going through the scriptures but do you think that Christ intended we use the bible as the source of any teaching that has to do with our faith?
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by k2039: 11:25am On Dec 02, 2012
Op,read 2Timothy 3:16,that answers your question

4 Likes

Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by segunoz(m): 11:34am On Dec 02, 2012
striktlymi: Good morning,
Please I want to know your views on the above subject. I am of the opinion that the bible though God's word written by men through the inspiration of the spirit, is not meant to teach but is actually a record of what has been in the lives of God's people right from the old testament to the new. I believe it would be proper to draw inspiration and live right by going through the scriptures but do you think that Christ intended we use the bible as the source of any teaching that has to do with our faith?
Nope, many things that christ did not intend are at the core of christian religion today. Anyway, your belief is right, it is for inspiration and guidance. Imagine a pastor quoting from on of paul's epistles saying,'God said'. It is just so wrong. The epistles of paul were expressing the views of paul but many pastors today believe that everything is the saying of God. They were just letters!!!

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by RedLight1: 11:34am On Dec 02, 2012
bible is meant to change your faith. and gives you the hope that u can change the law of nature, which is impossible
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Ezeufi: 11:35am On Dec 02, 2012
k2039: Op,read 2Timothy 3:16,that answers your question

Which bible? there are so many varieties. Some have 73 books and some 66 books, and some ,.......

Which one exactly are you talking about?
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 02, 2012
segunoz:
Nope, many things that christ did not intend are at the core of christian religion today. Anyway, your belief is right, it is for inspiration and guidance. Imagine a pastor quoting from on of paul's epistles saying,'God said'. It is just so wrong. The epistles of paul were expressing the views of paul but many pastors today believe that everything is the saying of God. They were just letters!!!

I quite agree that Paul's teachings were given in form of letters especially at the time he was arrested but I believe that most of what he thought were from the inspiration of the spirit because when he did not receive a directive from the spirit he was quick to point that out. For instance, when he was asked about the ish of people being single or married, he made it clear that he did not receive any inspiration from the spirit and what he taught was basically his thoughts on the matter. But again this goes to show that the bible was not where Christians got their teachings from.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 02, 2012
k2039: Op,read 2Timothy 3:16,that answers your question

I guess your answer to the question was in the affirmative but I don't think the part of the bible you quoted actually supports this view. The quotation reads: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness".
We should understand that at the time Timothy wrote this, the bible as we know it was not in existence. What we had was the old testament and some write-ups by the apostles which at the time were yet to be brought into one book we call the bible. I believe firmly that the bible is inspired by the spirit but I don't think it is meant to teach us our faith. Because the question can be asked: did any of the apostle or disciples of Jesus read the bible before they taught the christians of old? Or when there was a disagreement amongst the apostles regarding the "gentiles" and what was expected of them, was this disagreement settled by going through the bible? I don't think so. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you!
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by ITbomb(m): 12:20pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ezeufi:

Which bible? there are so many varieties. Some have 73 books and some 66 books, and some ,.......

Which one exactly are you talking about?
Take any of them and find Timothy
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by k2039: 12:44pm On Dec 02, 2012
ITbomb:
Take any of them and find Timothy

Lol
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by An0nimus: 2:42pm On Dec 02, 2012
striktlymi:

I guess your answer to the question was in the affirmative but I don't think the part of the bible you quoted actually supports this view. The quotation reads: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness".
We should understand that at the time Timothy wrote this, the bible as we know it was not in existence. What we had was the old testament and some write-ups by the apostles which at the time were yet to be brought into one book we call the bible. I believe firmly that the bible is inspired by the spirit but I don't think it is meant to teach us our faith. Because the question can be asked: did any of the apostle or disciples of Jesus read the bible before they taught the christians of old? Or when there was a disagreement amongst the apostles regarding the "gentiles" and what was expected of them, was this disagreement settled by going through the bible? I don't think so. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you!
Jesus quoted the scriptures many times in the NT. He kept saying things like ''it is written''..or ''havn't you heard?''..all the scriptures quoted by Jesus & the apostles then are part of today's bible. The passage says ''All scripture is given by the inspiration of God..'' whether old or new testament, it falls in 'all scripture' or do you doubt the 'inspiration of God' to be able to teach you His will?.. that being said, if the bible is not ideal to teach us our faith then my question is..what is?
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by icez: 2:44pm On Dec 02, 2012
hmmmmm.....

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 02, 2012
An0nimus:
Jesus quoted the scriptures many times in the NT. He kept saying things like ''it is written''..or ''havn't you heard?''..all the scriptures quoted by Jesus & the apostles then are part of today's bible. The passage says ''All scripture is given by the inspiration of God..'' whether old or new testament, it falls in 'all scripture' or do you doubt the 'inspiration of God' to be able to teach you His will?.. that being said, if the bible is not ideal to teach us our faith then my question is..what is?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Firstly, I do believe in the divine inspiration of sacred scriptures. I also agree that Jesus actually agree that Jesus made reference to the old testament but if you take a cursory look, Jesus never used the old testament as his basis for teaching God's words. There are times he taught things that seems to be against the old testament e.g when he taught about divorce and the intent of Moses for permitting it in the old testament. This however is understadable from the view point that He came to fulfil the old testament and not necessarily using it as the basis for his teachings. If you also go through the new testament you would realize that there a number of things that were not gotten from the old testament, this would suggest that they got their teachings from somewhere else apart from what was written. Again, I believe in the bible but I don't think it is meant for Christians to be taught their faith through it.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 02, 2012
An0nimus:

...Sorry I forgot to comment on the last part of your discuss I.e the question you asked. I believe that Jesus never meant to leave his faithfuls without guidance and the means for which we can learn our faith in hiim. Rememmber that Christ informed his disciples that there are a lot of things he would have loved to tell them but he won't be able to cause of his short time here on earth but he made a solemn promise that he would send his spirit the paraclete who would teach us all truths. If he had wanted the bible to be our teacher, I believe he would have handed it down to us but this he did not do.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by An0nimus: 4:12pm On Dec 02, 2012
When the bible was being compiled I strongly believe that it was God that directed the books we have today to all be brought together. They are countless other scrolls,letters etc that didn't make the 'final cut' cos God has a purpose He seeks to achieve with those that we have today in the bible. The bible is God's word but without the HolySpirit (to teach,guide) it may look like a collection of writings.
*modified* had to modify after seeing you give an answer to my question.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Dec 02, 2012
An0nimus: When the bible was being compiled I strongly believe that it was God that directed the books we have today to all be brought together. They are countless other scrolls,letters etc that didn't make the 'final cut' cos God has a purpose He seeks to achieve with those that we have today in the bible. The bible is God's word but without the HolySpirit (to teach,guide) it may look like a collection of writings. But then I still ask, if not the bible then what?

Jesus made it clear that the Holy spirit will teach us all we need to know. I really do not think that everything that Jesus meant us to know and learn about our faith is contained in the Bible. Even one of the apostles made it very clear that what he wrote was meant to make us believe that Jesus came and died for us and that there are a lot of other things he did and taught which did not make it to his write up. We honestly can't believe that everything about our faith is contained in the bible and really the Holy spirit has not stopped to inspire his people to this very day. Inspiration to write did not end with the direct apostles of Christ just like He did not stop inspiring people after the old testament. The fact that sacred scriptres were brought together to form one book does not imply that it is the source of our faith. The source of our faith is God himself and he continues to work, guide, guard and teach his people through the inspiration of the Holy spirit to this very day.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by An0nimus: 4:45pm On Dec 02, 2012
''In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God.'' ...you can't seperate God from His word. I doubt ( & I repeat doubt) that God will teach you anything at all that cannot be traced to His word as revealed by the HolySpirit when we study the bible. Whatever He shows you or tells you..go back to the bible,it MUST be there somewhere..NT or OT.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by An0nimus: 4:58pm On Dec 02, 2012
I'm loving this discourse..HolySpirit pls teach us more. Amen.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 02, 2012
An0nimus: ''In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God.'' ...you can't seperate God from His word. I doubt ( & I repeat doubt) that God will teach you anything at all that cannot be traced to His word as revealed by the HolySpirit when we study the bible. Whatever He shows you or tells you..go back to the bible,it MUST be there somewhere..NT or OT.

God's word is alive and active! Your comment suggests that God has revealed everything there is to know in the Bible. I don't think this is the case. When the old testament was put together, I believe a lot of people of those days would believe that God has revealed all and there won't be anything new. God cannot be gagged and frankly God's word cannot be contained by just one book, though a holy book. What we have in the bible is a tip of the ice berg. I would agree if you say that whatever God chooses to reveal today will not contradict what he has already in sacred scriptures just like the new testament is not meant to contradict the old. The new explains and provides insight to the old. In the same way when chooses to reveal whatever he wants, the revelation will not contradict what is there already in sacred scriptures. I gave the example of divorce. In the old testament Moses permitted the people of Israel to issue a writ of notice to d lady and thus they will be free to marry again but in the new testament Christ explained why that was permitted. And when he gave that teaching he did not make reference to another book. He taught through the inspiration of the Holy spirit.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by An0nimus: 5:26pm On Dec 02, 2012
On one point I'm sure we agree - the HolySpirit. I know God's ways are mysterious & there're deeper mysteries we are yet to know. But I still believe His word is forever, if a newer testament appears today it will not condemn what we have now. What we have for now to Him is enough and all we need to know Him.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 02, 2012
An0nimus: On one point I'm sure we agree - the HolySpirit. I know God's ways are mysterious & there're deeper mysteries we are yet to know. But I still believe His word is forever, if a newer testament appears today it will not condemn what we have now. What we have for now to Him is enough and all we need to know Him.

Quite true! What we have now is enough to seek out our salvation.

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by An0nimus: 8:49pm On Dec 02, 2012
@strik Sent you a Pm but you're offline
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by slyger: 9:17pm On Dec 02, 2012
@all.. GOD OUR FATHER intends that we live a life worthy f HIS kingdom. That we get to know wat his mind is n how HE THINKS SO wen we can think like HIM, we can then act like HIM N in dis way, we can dispel all d works d devil. Its not all about readin d BIBLE alone but askin d HOLY SPIRIT TO TEACH U N GIV U A REVELATIONAL KNOWLEDGE as u study d BIBLE... Whether u believ or not, the HOLY BIBLE is the WORD OF GOD. Pls keep all ur ideologies about d HOLY BIBLE down n ask GOD To lead u 2 d TRUTH.

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 02, 2012
An0nimus: @strik Sent you a Pm but you're offline
Got the e-mail you sent but didn't see the message.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 02, 2012
Paul's teachings weren't based on his views or opinions. They were inspired by the Holy Spirit and wisdom from God. Even Christ quoted from the scriptures when teaching.

New American Translation

2Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness

We are also told in the scripture below that the early Jew Christians (Berean) study the scripture to verify Paul's teachings:

Acts 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by An0nimus: 9:51pm On Dec 02, 2012
striktlymi:
Got the e-mail you sent but didn't see the message.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Kamxin(m): 10:06pm On Dec 02, 2012
This thread is truely objective. Since the invention of printing press in 16th century the bible became accessible to people, but adultration of God's word is now rampant and people now interpret personal, thereby becoming theologian to themselves, if everybody assume his/her interpretation is right, then every family would have a family church, with family doctrine. Its effect is clear "death of christianity" as sampled in Europe where it all started. The new testament of D bible is compiled in 4th century is meant to guide not teach since private interpretation is not God's intent(2Pet 1:20).
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Dec 02, 2012
seriallink: Paul's teachings weren't based on his views or opinions. They were inspired by the Holy Spirit and wisdom from God. Even Christ quoted from the scriptures when teaching.

New American Translation

2Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness

We are also told in the scripture below that the early Jew Christians (Berean) study the scripture to verify Paul's teachings:

Acts 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Your comments are quite commendable but like I earlier pointed out, when Timothy wrote that part of sacred scriptures there was nothing like the new testament as we know it today. All we had was the old testament and some pockets of inspired letters here and there. Even at this point some books like revelation have not been written yet. So when Timothy was talking about sacred scriptures, he was actually not referring to the new testament. And note that his comment about scriptures being inspired was also a teaching he did not read from any book. And I am quite sure he had no clue that what he wrote then would make it to the bible. Even Timothy taught through the inspiration of God's spirit and not necessarily from sacred scriptures. Note that the bible includes some of the teachings of the apostles which was gotten through divine revelation. So it would be understandable to see some teachings there. But the point I am trying to make is that Christians in those days did not get their teaching from scriptures. Also, wen Christ quoted the old testament, he did not quote it because that was the basis of his teachings. On the contrary he quoted because he was trying to let the Jews know that what was written about him is being fulfilled before their very eyes. Note that most of Christ teachings were not appealing to the Jews because they seem strange from what they r used to e.g Christ claiming to be God's son which makes him his equal.

1 Like

Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 02, 2012
Kamxin: This thread is truely objective. Since the invention of printing press in 16th century the bible became accessible to people, but adultration of God's word is now rampant and people now interpret personal, thereby becoming theologian to themselves, if everybody assume his/her interpretation is right, then every family would have a family church, with family doctrine. Its effect is clear "death of christianity" as sampled in Europe where it all started. The new testament of D bible is compiled in 4th century is meant to guide our actions not teach since private interpretation is not God's intent(2Pet 1:20).

Funny though but I quite agree with your thoughts.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by PastorAIO: 11:20pm On Dec 02, 2012
An0nimus: ''In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God.'' ...you can't seperate God from His word. I doubt ( & I repeat doubt) that God will teach you anything at all that cannot be traced to His word as revealed by the HolySpirit when we study the bible. Whatever He shows you or tells you..go back to the bible,it MUST be there somewhere..NT or OT.

How about this translation? In the beginning was Reason, and Reason was with God and Reason was God.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by Nobody: 5:04am On Dec 03, 2012
Pastor AIO:

How about this translation? In the beginning was Reason, and Reason was with God and Reason was God.

Is it your own interpretation?
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by kinglu: 9:04am On Dec 03, 2012
THE BIBLE IS A MISTERIOUS BOOK, NO ONE WROTE IT ON HIS OWN, GOD USED THOSE HE WANTED AND FOR A PURPOSE WHICH IS FOR TODAY, YOU AND I CAN READ THE BIBLE, LISTEN TO THE WORDS AND USE IT AS A GUIDE TO UP LIFT OUR SPIRITUAL LIFE TO GET CLOSER TO GOD. WE SHOULD NOT SAY THINGS HERE THAT WE DONT UNDERSTAND, GOD KNOWS YESTERDAY TODAY AND TOMORROW, HE KNEW SOME WILL FORM REBELS AND HE PLACED A CHOICE WHERTHER TO REPENT OR PERISH. IT IS SIMPLY REWARDING TO FOLLOW THE TEACHINGS IN HE BIBLE.
Re: Is The Bible Meant To Teach Us Our Faith? by MrSim(m): 11:38am On Dec 03, 2012
Your question was preceded by the fact that you you were not studying your bible. Maybe you were only reading it. I don't know about now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ALERT: NIV Bible Adulterated / The Truth Vs The Religious Deception. / Kenneth E Hagin Of Blessed Memory (aug20,1917 -sept 19,2003)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.