Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,900 members, 7,806,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! (13290 Views)

NBC Ceded Part Of Delta Oil Wells To Ondo State / Obasanjo Ceded Bakassi Without Senate Approval!!! / No Part Of Itsekiriland Will Be Ceded To Any Group – Olu Of Warri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Nobody: 8:16am On Dec 02, 2012
Former Minister of Information, Dr Walter Ofonagoro, has said that the former Head of State, Gen.Yakubu Gowon, ceded Bakassi Peninsula, which truly belonged to the present day cross River State of Nigeria, during the civil war, so as to block arms and food from entering Biafra.
Making this revelation in a key note address delivered at the Igbo Day Celebration which held in Lagos on Saturday, he said, “General Yakubu Gowon ceded the oil-rich region to Cameroon to stop food from coming into the defunct Republic of Biafra.”
The former minister said when Nigeria Army discovered that it would notbe possible to defeat Biafran soldiers with arms, they opted for economic blockade of the old Eastern Nigeria.
He said when they discovered that food and arms were still coming into Biafra through Bakassi, Gowon decided to cede the region to Cameroon so that the blockade would be effective.
His words: “I want to say that Bakassi Peninsula belonged to the people of the old eastern region. But during the war, the Nigerian soldiers discovered that Biafran soldiers were their match so they opted for economic blockade of the region. It was in the processthat Gowon went into negotiation with the president of Cameroon and ceded the oil rich region to them so that the blockade would be effective. We all know what happened, though some people are now feigning ignorance.”
On the Major Chukwuma Nzogwu Coup of January 15,1966, he said that the purpose of the coup was to revolutionise Nigeria.
He said that calling the coupan Igbo coup was wrong since Igbos were controlling over 75 percent of the government in the First Republic.
According to him, the purpose of the coup was to bring dynamism into the government of Nigeria in line with Ghana and other African nations that were already attracting international respect.
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/how-gowon-blocked-arms-food-from-entering-biafra-ofonagoro/

8 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 02, 2012
Aftermath of the massacre of over 2million women and children- people of Bakassi are now refugees in their own country while Gowon's home state is under siege of fulanis for over a decade now. These are not coincidence

9 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Cunninlingus: 9:57am On Dec 02, 2012
An Awo policy that led to a Pyrrhic victory and the establishment of a Caliphate(northern Islamic oligarchy) and an incompetent corrupt civil service populated by the SW.

The shackles of such tribal and religious guided governance began to break when Obasanjo made tribalism and religious affiliation take a back seat in his appointments of key officials and Ministers. Then came Yaradua , who took us back to the 70's with a hausa/fulani dominated cabinet.

3 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by FreeGlobe(f): 10:21am On Dec 02, 2012
This is what we already know. It is not news. Gowon and evil spirit awolowo connived to cede off the oil rich bakassi to 1. starve millions ok kids and women 2. To weaken the eastern region economically. Both have already been doomed.

3 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Nobody: 11:43am On Dec 02, 2012
Moderator give us front page please

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by RedLight1: 11:45am On Dec 02, 2012
7 users 22 guest viewing this topic.... hmm that shows that people are no longer interested in this same old stale biafra vs the world, bakassi vs nigeria news anymore ...its boring now

3 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by goldfish80(m): 11:47am On Dec 02, 2012
Even if Gowon ceeded Bakasi to The Camerouns, the present man occupying aso rock (retarded as n/landers call him) should have appealed †ђξ case @ †ђξ IOC angry

Απϑ I still maintain,Gowon should β℮ dragged to the Hague. My 2cents

3 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by kokosheen(m): 11:48am On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: Former Minister of Information, Dr Walter Ofonagoro,
On the Major Chukwuma Nzogwu Coup of January 15,1966, he said that the purpose of the coup was to revolutionise Nigeria.
He said that calling the coup an Igbo coup was wrong since Igbos were controlling over 75 percent of the government in the First Republic.
According to him, the purpose of the coup was to bring dynamism into the government of Nigeria in line with Ghana and other African nations that were already attracting international respect.
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/how-gowon-blocked-arms-food-from-entering-biafra-ofonagoro/

So in order to revolutionize, leaders of other regions except SE were killed and at the same time Igbos were controlling 75% of the govt

Please, who is fooling who?

How can you control something and when you decide to revolutionize it, people that don't control (according to you) are killed and your people immune??

12 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by austinsmat(m): 11:54am On Dec 02, 2012
I wonder how gowon use to sleep after all his massacre to women and children of biafra now what is happening in his own state same falanis are cleansing them one Nigeria indeed

3 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Ejine(m): 12:01pm On Dec 02, 2012
Red-Light:
7 users 22 guest viewing this topic.... hmm that shows that people are no longer interested in this same old stale biafra vs the world, bakassi vs nigeria news anymore ...its boring now

No boss, it simply shows Nairaland has low traffic on Sundays.

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by solomon111(m): 12:03pm On Dec 02, 2012
goldfish80: Even if Gowon ceeded Bakasi to The Camerouns, the present man occupying aso rock (retarded as n/landers call him) should have appealed †ђξ case @ †ђξ IOC angry

Απϑ I still maintain,Gowon should β℮ dragged to the Hague. My 2cents
sorry!
It would have actually been a stupid move,had GEJ appealed to the ICJ.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 02, 2012
solomon111: sorry!
It would have actually been a stupid move,had GEJ appealed to the ICJ.
How? Why? I'd like to know.

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Nobody: 12:25pm On Dec 02, 2012
kokosheen:

So in order to revolutionize, leaders of other regions except SE were killed and at the same time Igbos were controlling 75% of the govt

Please, who is fooling who?

How can you control something and when you decide to revolutionize it, people that don't control (according to you) are killed and your people immune??
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Buc(m): 12:32pm On Dec 02, 2012
When the Peoples Republic of Biafra actualises, Cameroon will ve to give up Bakassi or face the wrath of Biafra.

4 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Lasinoh: 12:37pm On Dec 02, 2012
But during the war, the Nigerian soldiers discovered that Biafran soldiers were their match so they opted for economic blockade of the region. It was in the process that Gowon went into negotiation with the president of Cameroon and ceded the oil rich region to them so that the blockade would be effective. We all know what happened, though some people are now feigning ignorance.”

Whatever!
A bargain is a bargain! kiss
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by EzePromoe: 12:39pm On Dec 02, 2012
All i have to say is

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Coldfeet(f): 12:53pm On Dec 02, 2012
Uncle Yakub? God is keeping you alive so you can make amends o! You can see what is happening in your hometown abi? Aunty Vicky talk to him please! Let him set all things straight before 2013 ends o! It seems that will be the year......

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by iconaus: 12:54pm On Dec 02, 2012
The thread is slow because it is the naked truth nigeria is shying away fron . Where re the SW NL bogots ? we need ur comments here. Nigeria today is the aftermath of civil war . Nig is yet to escape from the effects of civil war .Nig past bad leaders are civil war major stake holders.

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by RedLight1: 12:54pm On Dec 02, 2012
Ejiné:

No boss, it simply shows Nairaland has low traffic on Sundays.
no may be u should check other topics and see for urself
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Cunninlingus: 1:05pm On Dec 02, 2012
icon aus: The thread is slow because it is the naked truth nigeria is shying away fron . Where re the SW NL bogots ? we need ur comments here. Nigeria today is the aftermath of civil war . Nig is yet to escape from the effects of civil war .Nig past bad leaders are civil war major stake holders.

The SW and North know that they have failed. The evil civil service was corrupted in all facets with the SW bureaucracy and tribalism. The north saw power from a religious angle , the fallout is a divided and corrupt Nation on the brink of War because a minority President with a powerful Eastern cabinet is in place. They in the SW will be glad to post pictures of an already dead and crumbling relic of a misaligned and poor distribution of wealth in the form of a Lagos Renascence while the North in a confused state of power decline and slipping non-relevance can only portray their frustrations on non-muslims and southerners through their jihad.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Buc(m): 1:34pm On Dec 02, 2012
The reason the SW would never support the secession of the SE is because it terrifies them to remain with the Fulanis and I don't blame them,even the thought of it makes me feel pity for them. And history thought us the Fulanis had a hand in the collapse of their greatest kingdom and empire(Oyo empire) and probably would ve conquered them outright if not for the coming of the Europeans.

2 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Cunninlingus: 1:45pm On Dec 02, 2012
Buc: The reason the SW would never support the secession of the SE is because it terrifies them to remain with the Fulanis and I don't blame them,even the thought of it makes me feel pity for them. And history thought us the Fulanis had a hand in the collapse of their greatest kingdom and empire(Oyo empire) and probably would ve conquered them outright if not for the coming of the Europeans.

The SW is afraid to be left alone in the dark.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Gozzzy(m): 1:47pm On Dec 02, 2012
Buc: When the Peoples Republic of Biafra actualises, Cameroon will ve to give up Bakassi or face the wrath of Biafra.
Wake up..... Its morning....

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Sweetnecta: 1:52pm On Dec 02, 2012
i often dont comment on politics and specifically in matters of tribes.
however, i will make an exception here because i am both yoruba and muslim.

i am old enough to remember years before the coup of January 15, 1966. the military men and if any woman were not seen, but maybe heard about if you are from families of influence or living near their barracks.

the yorubas, as much as i and others in my family starting from my father [ra] did not camp with Awolowo but Akintola when it comes to politics, yoruba, indeed the old western region which at that time included the old midwest had progress. progress based on their singular identity of one people within Nigeria. progress in free primary education. progress in economics based on Cocoa and others. to me, Yoruba could do better now without the oil and the saying that before the discovery of maize, the birds were eating something applies, always.

if the yorubas were not within the 75% in authority in Nigeria, but the igbos actually had the 75% choke hold on the population that is more than 60% only to control 25% of authority, why then the coup and why are you young igbo who got your stories from your fathers or grand fathers or even great grand fathers angry at the yorubas? people write history to fit their interest. the honest eyewitnesses are the one who could relate the story plainly.

my family as a who has not taken a single penny, even kobo from an igbo. we gave our sisters to them without asking for bride price since no female of ours is for sale. when we marry igbo women we make sure we act as husbands, responsible for all her needs, including what her people need.

if you have issue with awolowo, leave us the yorubas out of your grievances. I even wish to sue the Awolowo holdings and it is my older brothers who have been against this intention of mine. Akintola the last premier of the west didnt like him. so it is not like Awolowo is loved by every yoruba. same must apply to igbos when it comes to Azikwe and or Ojukwu, if we are sincere to ourselves.

As to islam. the north is not the owner of my religion and my great grand father practiced this very religion which must have been in my family for more than two hundred years now.

Today, the role of the yorubas is limited in the government. and when it comes to oil, all the so called engineers from all the nnpc documents that i have seen have been people outside the yoruba tribe. we may not need the oil because we may have ours soon. after all it is the land that contains the oil that continues to the west. if the east is blessed, since there is no biblical manifesto cursing the west, so can the yorubas.

I think the yorubas can do better without anything from anyone.

13 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by odumdesmond: 2:10pm On Dec 02, 2012
Its an error of fundaamenal nature, borne out of misconception and all forms of perorations and platitudinal outbursts bypeople who know more of sentiments that real facts and law that led to the Bakassi cession. Yes, politically, Gowon signed various agreements with Cameroon prior to and after the war, but did any of them cause the cession of Bakassi to Camerroon? Hell no!!! I was opportuned to do a 140 page research on the Bakassi imbroglio and came to the inexorable conclusion that Bakassi Peninsula was never a Nigerian territory. It is a complex web of rules of international law and colonial alienation following the Berlin conference of 1884-5 where African territory was divided between colonial powers, Germany got Cameroon while Britain got Nigeria. But around 1913, in a bid to define the boundaries of both nation,Germany and Britain decided that the boundary should follow a particular thalweg and measured using some cordinates which effectively put Bakassi into Cameroon. In fact a clause in the Anglo German treaty said that despite the vagaries of River Akpayafe/ Akwayafe water, "......it is hereby agreed that the territory now known as Bakassi peninsula shall be a German territory". Was Gowon born by then. He just politically signed/ executed an agreement that was made even before he was born which effect led to Biafran surrender!!!

2 Likes

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Tolexander: 2:15pm On Dec 02, 2012
I was believing this guy when i started reading the thread until i got to the place where he said the jan 15 1966 coup was planned to revolutionize Nigeria. 75% of the government were controlled by the igbos and none of them was killed in the coup. Do u people think you are smarter than other nigerians?

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by sagytariusTM1: 2:16pm On Dec 02, 2012
Karma is still existent.

THE GOD OF BIAFRA NEVER ABANDONEDHER
Like Awolowo, many of those who fought against Biafra have suffered one form of NEMESIS, or the other:  Brigadier-General Benjamin Adekunle (the Black Scorpion) who commanded the 3rd Marine Commando that blockaded and killed Biafrans from the coastal region, has long been forgotten by the people he fought for, in terms of political positions/rewards.  Isaac Adaka Boro and Ken-Saro Wiwa were killed by the same people that used them to fight Biafra.  Today, Bakassi has been lost to the Cameroon as “compensation” to that country, for blocking Biafra from the outside world from that land axis.  The wartime commanders from Middle-Belt region who fought Biafra, know how they have been faring in Nigeria’s political scene for the job they did.  

Gowon, a Christian, was used by the core Muslim north to fight Biafra.  After doing that job, he was humiliated and disgraced out of office by General Murtala Mohammed, a Muslim from the core North.  Gowon had to beg for pardon from the same people he worked for, to please let him return to Nigeria from England to which he had also run to like Ogundipe.  Today, Gowon is going all over the place praying.  May be, praying for more pardon from God for the sins he committed with Awolowo against Biafra.

In The Advocate Newspaper of Sunday 4th Nov., to Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012, Gowon was reported as saying that he and Awolowo had no regrets over their roles in the Civil War.  He alleged that Prof. Achebe did not know what happened during the war, and should not have written on what he was not sure of.  He arrogantly added that he was ready to face the International Criminal court (ICC) at the Haque, for war crimes against Biafra.  My old mother in the village will say “Easier said than done”.  Gowon must be reminded that if a stubborn goat manoeuvres its head into a narrow-necked pot to consume anything, and can no longer free its head from the pot because of its long horns, then the goat must blame itself for what it has caused itself.  This is food for thought, for all concerned.

Awolowo himself was used by the North to fight Biafra on the promise that they would make him the Civilian Head of State after the war.  That never happened.  The North he served dumped him in 1979 and chose Alhaji Shehu Shagari as Head of State.

The Southern minority ethnic groups were told to join in fighting Biafra, to be free from Ibo domination.  Today, one doesn’t know the real people dominating the South South: Is it the North? The West? Both? Or none of the above?
N.B.   Things Ojukwu and Easterners saw almost half a century ago, are the things others are only just beginning to see today.  No wonder the Bible made it clear that the Three Wise Men came from the EAST.   

Above all, most of the problems Nigeria thought she would solve by fighting Biafra, are even multiplying.  That is why, today, Benjamin Adekunle says he regrets the degree of killings he did during the war, and General Alani Akinrinade is now asking “If Nigeria splits, so what?”

To cap it up, one very remarkable thing happened in the East, in the first few years after the war.  The rate at which male children were born, especially in 1970/71 was not only outstanding, but astonishing!  This really got people saying it loud, that “Our Children who fought and died in the Biafran war are COMING BACK”.  Was that God’s own way of repopulating the East, after the Genocide against her?  God alone has the answer, but birth records are there to prove the point.  In God, the Ibos rest their case.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by sagytariusTM1: 2:18pm On Dec 02, 2012
!
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by BabaOyee: 2:27pm On Dec 02, 2012
Buc: The reason the SW would never support the secession of the SE is because it terrifies them to remain with the Fulanis and I don't blame them,even the thought of it makes me feel pity for them. And history thought us the Fulanis had a hand in the collapse of their greatest kingdom and empire(Oyo empire) and probably would ve conquered them outright if not for the coming of the Europeans.
Truly the invasion of the Fulanis led to the fall of Old OYO EMPIRE and the enthronement of emireship at Ilorin till date but the fear of Yorubas that time was not based on that. It was based on the fact that Chief Awolowo wnted Nigeria to remain one entity and he expected that one day he will rule Nigeria as a President though it never came to pass.
Chief Awolowo was a fearless courageous and bold leader. He may have his own fault here and there as a mortal being but he could face any section of the country. He was never afraid of the North.
He told Gen Giowon point blank, if East was allowed to go, the West will go too.
This was never a statement of fear.
All said and done,I think Gowon, Ojukwu,Awolowo and others acted according to the infomation and circumstances prevalent as at that time. The still remaon heroes. We can take up Nigeria from where they left it and forget the past. If Nigeria can unity,we can be great. We need to be patriotic.

1 Like

Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by BabaOyee: 2:27pm On Dec 02, 2012
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by Buc(m): 2:39pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sweetnecta: i often dont comment on politics and specifically in matters of tribes.
however, i will make an exception here because i am both yoruba and muslim.

i am old enough to remember years before the coup of January 15, 1966. the military men and if any woman were not seen, but maybe heard about if you are from families of influence or living near their barracks.

the yorubas, as much as i and others in my family starting from my father [ra] did not camp with Awolowo but Akintola when it comes to politics, yoruba, indeed the old western region which at that time included the old midwest had progress. progress based on their singular identity of one people within Nigeria. progress in free primary education. progress in economics based on Cocoa and others. to me, Yoruba could do better now without the oil and the saying that before the discovery of maize, the birds were eating something applies, always.

if the yorubas were not within the 75% in authority in Nigeria, but the igbos actually had the 75% choke hold on the population that is more than 60% only to control 25% of authority, why then the coup and why are you young igbo who got your stories from your fathers or grand fathers or even great grand fathers angry at the yorubas? people write history to fit their interest. the honest eyewitnesses are the one who could relate the story plainly.

my family as a who has not taken a single penny, even kobo from an igbo. we gave our sisters to them without asking for bride price since no female of ours is for sale. when we marry igbo women we make sure we act as husbands, responsible for all her needs, including what her people need.

if you have issue with awolowo, leave us the yorubas out of your grievances. I even wish to sue the Awolowo holdings and it is my older brothers who have been against this intention of mine. Akintola the last premier of the west didnt like him. so it is not like Awolowo is loved by every yoruba. same must apply to igbos when it comes to Azikwe and or Ojukwu, if we are sincere to ourselves.

As to islam. the north is not the owner of my religion and my great grand father practiced this very religion which must have been in my family for more than two hundred years now.

Today, the role of the yorubas is limited in the government. and when it comes to oil, all the so called engineers from all the nnpc documents that i have seen have been people outside the yoruba tribe. we may not need the oil because we may have ours soon. after all it is the land that contains the oil that continues to the west. if the east is blessed, since there is no biblical manifesto cursing the west, so can the yorubas.

I think the yorubas can do better without anything from anyone.
experience sure is a plus.
I've always felt Tinubu would be seen as Awo tomorrow. And U re right Sir, Zik was no hero of mine and Ojukwu was no hero to me also. If Biafra had worked back then, he would ve been synonymous with Gadaffi today I believe. Cause reports of his administration of Biafra, while it lasted was dictatorial. But, I may be wrong, may be prevailing conditions made him so.
Re: How and Why Gowon Ceded Bakassi To Cameroon!! by emmatok(m): 2:46pm On Dec 02, 2012
Sincere 9gerian: Former Minister of Information, Dr Walter Ofonagoro, has said that the former Head of State, Gen.Yakubu Gowon, ceded Bakassi Peninsula, which truly belonged to the present day cross River State of Nigeria, during the civil war, so as to block arms and food from entering Biafra.
Making this revelation in a key note address delivered at the Igbo Day Celebration which held in Lagos on Saturday, he said, “General Yakubu Gowon ceded the oil-rich region to Cameroon to stop food from coming into the defunct Republic of Biafra.”
The former minister said when Nigeria Army discovered that it would notbe possible to defeat Biafran soldiers with arms, they opted for economic blockade of the old Eastern Nigeria.
He said when they discovered that food and arms were still coming into Biafra through Bakassi, Gowon decided to cede the region to Cameroon so that the blockade would be effective.
His words: “I want to say that Bakassi Peninsula belonged to the people of the old eastern region. But during the war, the Nigerian soldiers discovered that Biafran soldiers were their match so they opted for economic blockade of the region. It was in the processthat Gowon went into negotiation with the president of Cameroon and ceded the oil rich region to them so that the blockade would be effective. We all know what happened, though some people are now feigning ignorance.”
He said that calling the coupan Igbo coup was wrong since Igbos were controlling over 75 percent of the government in the First Republic.

So the Igbos controled 75% of the government and thesame Igbos carried out the coup.
Why the Igbo coup plotters decide to kill the tribes representing 25% of the government.
They destroyed this country.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

QUIT NOTICE: Igbo Community In Borno Held Peace Meeting With Borno People / 2019: Ndigbo Happy With Buhari On Road Construction – Ohanaeze / Insecurity: Buhari Himself Can’t Retire To Daura In 2023 - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.