Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,026 members, 7,799,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? (4482 Views)

Help !! What Is Wrong With My Cv! Why Is The Job Not Coming! / The Plain Truth About GNLD Marketers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 11:13am On Dec 03, 2012
seriously, ever since i started applying for jobs have never beeen called for a test, interview or even chat.
am concerned, is it that my cv isnt constructed well? even if its my cv, what abt the job that requires filling of online forms?
if i had been called for a test and i failed at least i would knw that i failed. but this one its not even like i have been applying at all.
am seriously worried. what am i doing wrong?

i have attached my cv so u guys can also check and tell me what am doing wrong.

UPDATE: i have made the corrections u guys have suggested and have attached the corrected. can u please take a peep at it? am very grateful for u guys taking time to help me.
i have changed the cv to one page, changed d objectives, reconstructed my experience and personal skills. please chech and give me a go ahead on if its nw fit to use. thanks
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by maxpayne3: 11:27am On Dec 03, 2012
Don't quit, keep trying. God will favour you soon.

1 Like

Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 11:29am On Dec 03, 2012
maxpayne3: Don't quit, keep trying. God will favour you soon.

but isnt it strange that i havent received even one invite? am seriously worried. maybe am cursed.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by maxpayne3: 11:46am On Dec 03, 2012
Don't feel that way my dear, just pray about it and keep submitting applications. As long as there's life there's hope!
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Bisjosh(f): 12:16pm On Dec 03, 2012
Why is your phone number not there? How often do you check your email?

Just chill girl not all online advertisements are real and have u ever thought of going from one company to another to drop your CV? cos that might be more effective
Above all cheer up grin
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 12:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
Bisjosh: Why is your phone number not there? How often do you check your email?

Just chill girl not all online advertisements are real and have u ever thought of going from one company to another to drop your CV? cos that might be more effective
Above all cheer up grin

i removed my phone number b4 i uploaded my cv here, in the real cv its dere. i have not really submitted hard copy. all my submission are online.
where i stay there r no companys to submit

am planning to relocate to abj next year. then start submittin hard copies, cos my frnds are saying that cos am in onitsha many companies neee pple residing in their state.
what do u tink?
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by kevoh(m): 2:20pm On Dec 03, 2012
Aafulenu:

i removed my phone number b4 i uploaded my cv here, in the real cv its dere. i have not really submitted hard copy. all my submission are online.

am planning to relocate to abj next year. then start submittin hard copies, cos my frnds are saying that cos am in onitsha many companies neee pple residing in their state.
what do u tink?
Don't come to Abuja ooo except you have someone, I'd prefer you relocate to Lagos if its possible for you there are more companies(small and big) compared to Abuja.

Secondly for start, go to mckinsey.com and apply for their business analyst position, as long as you follow instructions you will certainly be called for a test but beware the test is no child's play you need to prepare for it not your typical GMAT.

Network with your old friends always maybe one might link you up, sign up on linkedIn,follow instructions correctly when applying for a job most people don't even those with First class and they wonder why they are not even called for a test.

1 Like

Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by DisGuy: 2:40pm On Dec 03, 2012
Aafulenu:

but isnt it strange that i havent received even one invite? am seriously worried. maybe am cursed.

you're not cursed, I think like you have said, it's largely due to your state/location. try more commercial states where you have relatives or friends who can accommodate you comfortably

you also need more work on your cv, especially in your work experience, it should include more details; go through more CV online or job descriptions of your preferred role

General question
and is, marital statues,date of birth, state of origin, male of female still necessary with nigerian cv?
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by sneak3(m): 2:43pm On Dec 03, 2012
Nothin is wrong wiv ur CV dear. Just continue praying. Some employers considers location as well. I will advice you if you have a valid address ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ can adopt in lagos try that too.all the best
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Bisjosh(f): 3:03pm On Dec 03, 2012
Aafulenu:

what do u tink?

When u relocate then.
All the best.

1 Like

Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 03, 2012
Hi. I checked it out. It speaks volumes of IT-inclination, despite the fact that you studied economics. That may appear as an anomaly to some employers. Don't be discouraged. If it's IT you want, build towards it. Career change ain't no biggy.

However, your manner of presentation is poor. It lacks coherence and finesse. This is important, considering the fact that there are a million other (equally qualified) candidates who can present themselves better (than you) in writing. Style and fluency cannot be overemphasized.

See this ==> www.nairaland.com/1098088/cv-costing-job-opportunities

And this ==> www.nairaland.com/1103041/cv-costing-job-opportunities-part

Make haste. There is no wizard tormenting you, and no priest can pray you out of this. You must do this yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Adetonyone: 4:23pm On Dec 03, 2012
Just preview your attached CV now, I see many things that are wrong in there, if this is the CV you actually submitted to all job opening out there. I have no time now but surely will come back to highlight some of the things you need to improve on. Hopefully before tomorrow morning.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2012
You didn't put your class of degree on your CV. That's the reason.

Class of degree is one of the first criteria used in shortlisting. With hundreds or even thousands of CV in front of teh recruiter, it is easy to set yours aside. Nobody has time to call you to ask what you graduated with.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 03, 2012
Your objective is too brief. Nothing on your CV says exactly what sort of roles you are looking for. As an IT professional myself I can see you in some sort of IT support role... Change the section where it says "Objective" to "Personal Profile or Statement" and put something like this

"A test analyst with over 8 years testing experience. ISEB qualified; meticulous and thorough functional, integration and content testing abilities. Skills covering all aspects of system development and the testing life cycle, from specification through to delivery and commercial launch. Highly organised, versatile and results-oriented team player with an energetic and articulate approach to testing. Highly exposed to both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and also been involved with a lot of risk-based testing. Ability to acquire new skills within short time scales, adapt to rapidly changing work practices ,build and maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues. I also have excellent stakeholder management skills."

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Femsyn(m): 5:34pm On Dec 03, 2012
Aafulenu: ... even if its my cv, what abt the job that requires filling of online forms?
if i had been called for a test and i failed at least i would knw that i failed. but this one its not even like i have been applying at all.

i have attached my cv so u guys can also check and tell me what am doing wrong.

Please check the bold part while scrutinizing her CV.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by lumideezle(m): 5:42pm On Dec 03, 2012
Aafulenu: seriously, ever since i started applying for jobs have never beeen called for a test, interview or even chat.
am concerned, is it that my cv isnt constructed well? even if its my cv, what abt the job that requires filling of online forms?

i have attached my CV so u guys can also check and tell me what am doing wrong.

OK i have a bit of free time in the office so let me break down this your CV, and i hope this helps you get a job ASAP
1)Objectives: 'Insightful and result driven at all times, in all position and circumstance, to play an important role leading to achievement of set goals of the organization.'
Like the word suggests, Objective you should be talking about why you want the particular Job you are applying for. your objective is too vague and dosent tell anything about you, your competencies and most importantly why you want the freeking Job!!! this should suggest to you that every Job you apply for should have a different Obj because you have to Taylor your objective to suit the position eg if i ask you why did you open this thread what would your ans b ? 'to be able to have professional vet my cv and advice ' now that is your objective for putting this up, that is the same way you should treat your CV, In your objective section always write y you want the position, what you are willing to put in and the previous experiences you have that would be useful in that position.

2)Remove/ hide the text boxes it only shows you do not have strong command of MS word stop shooting yourself in the foot

3)Add the grades you graduated with and how long it took you to finish school eg Bachelor of Science in Economics 2005-2010
Anambra State University, Igbariam Campus Second class higher division. the reason for this is because some recruiters wanna see you progression through school, some specify a particular grades, not adding your grade only removes your name from the list of peeps they would call for interview

4)Please understand that applying for a job is a job in itself, and you have to market yourself, now if you want to sell a phone to a friend what are the things you would be telling your friends about the phone to persuade him or her to buy, would you just say it can make calls and receive calls?? of cuz not.! you would try to explain the added features of the phone eg Bluetooth, you can transfer pictures etc, Mp3 mp4,7mp camera etc.
Now look at you CV with this same insight, you are not doing a good job at selling yourself simple. while you were in Command Secondary School Mbiri (Umunede, Delta State.)dint you do anything spectacular?? ie your achievements eg i taught the Jss3 class Econs and the school recorded a 90% pass rate in Junior WAEC as compared to 40% that was usually experienced.now i am not asking you to lie ooo!! All i asking you to do is market your self a bit more by thinking deep and highlighting what makes you stand out from the crowd. Il give you a true life story
a friend of mine went for the final stage of an interview with the GM of one of the multinational companies. The GM asked my friend that how come you barely made 5 credits in WAEC and you graduated with a first class from Uni. My fried replied that Sir with all due respect, if you grew up the way i grew up you would probably not be where you are today, he went on to narrate how he lived with his blind Father for 20 years and how he managed to merge that with high school and work. By the time he finished the GM was stunned. he was later told after he got the Job that immediately he left the manz office the Gm called HR and warned them that they must not loose that Boy o, infact any amount he wants they should grant him. THe only thing he did that made him stand out was that he marketed himself well.

Hope this helps. Let me end by commending the arrangement of you CV that is good. also rely on God he is the only one that can get it done

1 Like

Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 03, 2012
Morayo747: Your objective is too brief. Nothing on your CV says exactly what sort of roles you are looking for. As an IT professional myself I can see you in some sort of IT support role... Change the section where it says "Objective" to "Personal Profile or Statement" and put something like this

"A test analyst with over 8 years testing experience. ISEB qualified; meticulous and thorough functional, integration and content testing abilities. Skills covering all aspects of system development and the testing life cycle, from specification through to delivery and commercial launch. Highly organised, versatile and results-oriented team player with an energetic and articulate approach to testing. Highly exposed to both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and also been involved with a lot of risk-based testing. Ability to acquire new skills within short time scales, adapt to rapidly changing work practices ,build and maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues. I also have excellent stakeholder management skills."

Good luck.

Guys, candidly, all these are secondary to CLASS OF DEGREE. I don't put all the English Grammar called objective/profile statements etc on my CV and I always get called for interviews(and tests, when I was entry level).

How would someone, an entry level applicant for that matter, not put his Class of degree?

Omission of class of degree is the missing link.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 5:45pm On Dec 03, 2012
fluid26: Hi. I checked it out. It speaks volumes of IT-inclination, despite the fact that you studied economics. That may appear as an anomaly to some employers. Don't be discouraged. If it's IT you want, build towards it. Career change ain't no biggy.

However, your manner of presentation is poor. It lacks coherence and finesse. This is important, considering the fact that there are a million other (equally qualified) candidates who can present themselves better (than you) in writing. Style and fluency cannot be overemphasized.

See this ==> www.nairaland.com/1098088/cv-costing-job-opportunities

And this ==> www.nairaland.com/1103041/cv-costing-job-opportunities-part

Make haste. There is no wizard tormenting you, and no priest can pray you out of this. You must do this yourself.

thanks very much, i will apply for the job dis nite or tomoro when i have reconstructed my cv.
i went through the link u posted and it was very helpful

as for the economics and IT, i think it is part of my problem. cos most IT jobs i see are always specifin that u must have studied comp sci or any related course. although i still apply.
eg. the police ict professionals job, i applied for that job, even helped my frnds apply. gave then my reference page( the page where the DPO n LG chairman will sign) cos the couldnt sign theirs, they were all called and i wasnt. even one that wasnt an ict professional was called all cos he studied comp sci, he we went there and failed, scored less than 50 out of 1000. the odas have since don their medicals and are awaiting the next stage.
anoda is this diamond bank recuritment. i submitted both my cv and that of 3 frnds. my frnds were called, i wasnt. same with CBN

really i dont knw, and i dont see any thing in their cv that isnt in mine
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 5:45pm On Dec 03, 2012
double post
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 5:47pm On Dec 03, 2012
Adetonyone: Just preview your attached CV now, I see many things that are wrong in there, if this is the CV you actually submitted to all job opening out there. I have no time now but surely will come back to highlight some of the things you need to improve on. Hopefully before tomorrow morning.

thanks very much i will be expecting ur input.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 5:49pm On Dec 03, 2012
Jarus: You didn't put your class of degree on your CV. That's the reason.

Class of degree is one of the first criteria used in shortlisting. With hundreds or even thousands of CV in front of teh recruiter, it is easy to set yours aside. Nobody has time to call you to ask what you graduated with.

yes i didnt put my class of degree. i will include it immediatly. thanks very much, i used to tink it wasnt necessary. btw i graduated with a 2.2
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 03, 2012
lumideezle:

OK i have a bit of free time in the office so let me break down this your CV, and i hope this helps you get a job ASAP
1)Objectives: 'Insightful and result driven at all times, in all position and circumstance, to play an important role leading to achievement of set goals of the organization.'
Like the word suggests, Objective you should be talking about why you want the particular Job you are applying for. your objective is too vague and dosent tell anything about you, your competencies and most importantly why you want the freeking Job!!! this should suggest to you that every Job you apply for should have a different Obj because you have to Taylor your objective to suit the position eg if i ask you why did you open this thread what would your ans b ? 'to be able to have professional vet my cv and advice ' now that is your objective for putting this up, that is the same way you should treat your CV, In your objective section always write y you want the position, what you are willing to put in and the previous experiences you have that would be useful in that position.

2)Remove/ hide the text boxes it only shows you do not have strong command of MS word stop shooting yourself in the foot

3)Add the grades you graduated with and how long it took you to finish school eg Bachelor of Science in Economics 2005-2010
Anambra State University, Igbariam Campus Second class higher division. the reason for this is because some recruiters wanna see you progression through school, some specify a particular grades, not adding your grade only removes your name from the list of peeps they would call for interview

4)Please understand that applying for a job is a job in itself, and you have to market yourself, now if you want to sell a phone to a friend what are the things you would be telling your friends about the phone to persuade him or her to buy, would you just say it can make calls and receive calls?? of cuz not.! you would try to explain the added features of the phone eg Bluetooth, you can transfer pictures etc, Mp3 mp4,7mp camera etc.
Now look at you CV with this same insight, you are not doing a good job at selling yourself simple. while you were in Command Secondary School Mbiri (Umunede, Delta State.)dint you do anything spectacular?? ie your achievements eg i taught the Jss3 class Econs and the school recorded a 90% pass rate in Junior WAEC as compared to 40% that was usually experienced.now i am not asking you to lie ooo!! All i asking you to do is market your self a bit more by thinking deep and highlighting what makes you stand out from the crowd. Il give you a true life story
a friend of mine went for the final stage of an interview with the GM of one of the multinational companies. The GM asked my friend that how come you barely made 5 credits in WAEC and you graduated with a first class from Uni. My fried replied that Sir with all due respect, if you grew up the way i grew up you would probably not be where you are today, he went on to narrate how he lived with his blind Father for 20 years and how he managed to merge that with high school and work. By the time he finished the GM was stunned. he was later told after he got the Job that immediately he left the manz office the Gm called HR and warned them that they must not loose that Boy o, infact any amount he wants they should grant him. THe only thing he did that made him stand out was that he marketed himself well.

Hope this helps. Let me end by commending the arrangement of you CV that is good. also rely on God he is the only one that can get it done

Best advice of the day.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 5:52pm On Dec 03, 2012
Morayo747: Your objective is too brief. Nothing on your CV says exactly what sort of roles you are looking for. As an IT professional myself I can see you in some sort of IT support role... Change the section where it says "Objective" to "Personal Profile or Statement" and put something like this

Good luck.

the problem is i have little or no experience in IT apart frm teaching. i never realy worked in an IT role b4. thats y its scanty.

thanks sha, i will modify promto
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 03, 2012
Aafulenu:

the problem is i have little or no experience in IT apart frm teaching. i never realy worked in an IT role b4. thats y its scanty.

thanks sha, i will modify promto
You may also want to add specific dates to your previous roles i.e what month to what month..and also reason for leaving(contract ended, study etc)
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
Aafulenu:

yes i didnt put my class of degree. i will include it immediatly. thanks very much, i used to tink it wasnt necessary. btw i graduated with a 2.2

It is very necessary. That's probably the first criteria in shortlisting.

They first sort, manually or with system, into First Class, 2.1, and if they want 2.2, then 2.2 etc. Not having Class of degree there means they don't know what you graduated with and will just put your CV aside.

It is very critical, at least for entry level positions. For experienced hire positions, it may not be so.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Insanity(m): 5:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
i want to comment on ya address. Evn though i stay @ asaba, i have like 10 CV formats; for entry lvl, 1-3yr exp, abj add, Lag add, PH add etc 'cuz i have friends i can stay wif if i am shortlisted and so many others. U have to be really smart 'cuz the job market is extremely competitve right now. Am subscribed to a lot of job sites, so i get a lot of emails on a minute basis, you need to know whn the vacancies are availble. Subscribe to linkedIn.com, interact with other IT professionals, you will learn a lot about the trending skills in that particular industry by joining IT groups in LinkedIn. Research more on Cv formats, just google 'sample resume entry level IT', go through the results and you'll know ya CV needs A LOT of work. Goodluck and don't worry, you will get there.
NB- Always structure ya CV and cover letter to the requirements of the company you are applying to. Don't just apply wif ya default CV.
Be Happy and Passionate, that's the essence of Life.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 5:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
lumideezle:

oga, i am very grateful, ths realy helped, i will make the changes and upload by tomoro.

i didnt use text boxes i used tables and the lines arint showing.

btw, i didnt realy do anything spectacular during my nysc. am kinda of like a behind d scene kind of gurl, not seen and not heard. extreme introvet

thanks tor takin time to read d cv.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 6:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
Insanity: i want to comment on ya address. Evn though i stay @ asaba, i have like 10 CV formats; for entry lvl, 1-3yr exp, abj add, Lag add, PH add etc 'cuz i have friends i can stay wif if i am shortlisted and so many others. U have to be really smart 'cuz the job market is extremely competitve right now. Am subscribed to a lot of job sites, so i get a lot of emails on a minute basis, you need to know whn the vacancies are availble. Subscribe to linkedIn.com, interact with other IT professionals, you will learn a lot about the trending skills in that particular industry by joining IT groups in LinkedIn. Research more on Cv formats, just google 'sample resume entry level IT', go through the results and you'll know ya CV needs A LOT of work. Goodluck and don't worry, you will get there.
NB- Always structure ya CV and cover letter to the requirements of the company you are applying to. Don't just apply wif ya default CV.
Be Happy and Passionate, that's the essence of Life.

thanks
am already in linkedin, i dont realy have frnds but i will try ur address methods
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 03, 2012

My Job viewers, May you all be blessed with good jobs!
Before y'all leave. I'll like to announce that Miss Nairaland Dec. 2012 is taking place by 10pm today in the Romance section!(Nigerian time)

Vote for [size=16pt]abiL and ItsModella.[/size] There will be a brief introduction and pictures of these two candidates on the thread.
Do you want to hear their platform?? contact me @ campaignmanager.com.

MAKE YOUR VOTE COUNT, VOTE abiL or ItsModella!!! Thanks for your support!

Please don't quote this comment, u can address my ID-Shollypopz smiley
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Insanity(m): 6:10pm On Dec 03, 2012
i will advise you to subscribe wif and visit it @least once daily. Don't give up soo easily, i was called for interview in a construction firm for an opening i applied since March, i've forgotten about the application sef. Its been 2 months now and ​We've not heard frm them, only 4 peeps was called for that interview and non of us have been called. You should be strong, try Uя best, evn try better that ya best, that's all you can do. Believe me, you'll be called.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by mhoo(f): 6:17pm On Dec 03, 2012

Good luck.

In my own opinion, I'll advise she takes out the Objective/Personal Statement completely.
Re: Is It Me? My CV? Or Am I Just Plain Unlucky? by Aafulenu(f): 6:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
mhoo:

In my own opinion, I'll advise she takes out the Objective/Personal Statement completely.

please y do u think i should take it out?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Massive Recruitment At National Pension Commission / Nigerian Breweries Interview / Chams PLC Calling For Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.