Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? (4752 Views)

Heavy Rainfall In Lagos: Good Or Bad Sign For APC's Rally? / Tinubu Lost Everywhere He Campaigned, Is This Not A Bad Sign For Apc? / APC Propaganda: A Bad Sign Kwarans MUST Note - By Abdulrahman Alade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Nobody: 1:51am On Dec 04, 2012
don't know if its good because they haven't done much, or bad because it weakens them more.

ABUJA— Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, may be crippled next year if the Federal Government’s slashing of its 2013 budget proposal by N11.7 billion sails through the National Assembly.

Already, EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Larmode, has expressed concern that the development might prevent the agency from meeting its personnel cost in 2013.

The anti-graft agency had proposed N21,028,488,772 billion to fund its operations in 2013, but the Budget Office approved N9,328,159,022 billion, less than half of the commission’s request to meet capital, personnel and overhead expenditure items next year.

While defending the commission’s 2013 budget proposals before the House of Representatives Committee on Drugs, Narcotics and Financial Crimes yesterday, Larmode told the committee that the Federal Government failed to release N25 million appropriated for the purchase of arms and ammunition for the commission this year.

Members of the Adams Jagaba-led Committee queried phased releases of funds by the Finance Ministry to EFCC as evident in 15 percent deficit in cash-backed 2012 release to the commission with a month left to the end of the fiscal year.

Due to allegations of politically-motivated prosecutions, EFCC has come under criticisms lately for its seeming lukewarm approach to its anti-corruption fight.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/fg-slashes-efccs-budget-by-50/
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by takedat(m): 6:59am On Dec 04, 2012
This EFCC sef no serious, so they expect government to adequately fund them so that they can start chasing political office holders, government officials and their cronies outside government around town? Its another way to alert EFCC and Nigerians that Corruption has come to stay, its the Insignia of Government hence why EFCC will remain underfunded and a toothless dog!
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Iykopee(m): 7:14am On Dec 04, 2012
i see no reason why EFCC shud exit @ first

3 Likes

Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Clerverly: 7:28am On Dec 04, 2012
If the Govt. can stick to the cut, that should be commendable. A staff of the agency i know very well has acquired multi-million naira properties in choice locations within the country. And i keep wondering how can this be possible with his earnings as a crime officer.
So i will even suggest sinking that agency as it has outlived its usefulness.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by UncleJJ(m): 9:20am On Dec 04, 2012
Clerverly: If the Govt. can stick to the cut, that should be commendable. A staff of the agency i know very well has acquired multi-million naira properties in choice locations within the country. And i keep wondering how can this be possible with his earnings as a crime officer.
So i will even suggest sinking that agency as it has outlived its usefulness.

Its a well known policy, if you are not performing - you get your budget cut. EFCC, no dey do anything for this country - so why give them more money we know they are siphoning.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by eikeem(m): 11:10am On Dec 04, 2012
EFCC is Nigeria's biggest scammer!

1 Like

Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Areaboy2(m): 11:11am On Dec 04, 2012
N21,028,488,772 billion

thats N21 billion billion grin

1 Like

Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Abujafood: 11:19am On Dec 04, 2012
Unless I'm missing my facts EFCC has less than 3000 personnel, why spend N21 bn on their operations for 12 months?
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by KINGwax(m): 11:22am On Dec 04, 2012
Abujafood: Unless I'm missing my facts EFCC has less than 3000 personnel, why spend N21 bn on their operations for 12 months?
but your president can spend billions on meals per day? I heard 1.3billion aint even enough!
Now, do u knw how much it costs to investigate, prosecute and pursue a case?
Well, i won't be suprised if they started accepting bribes from A to prosecute B for the benefit of A!
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by tunapawizzy: 11:24am On Dec 04, 2012
Abujafood: Unless I'm missing my facts EFCC has less than 3000 personnel, why spend N21 bn on their operations for 12 months?
actually investigations cost money....its nt too much if they are actually doing their work effectively , but i think its too much since our EFCC is useless
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by PointB: 11:31am On Dec 04, 2012
Not sure how EFCC runs their operations, but N21 Billion Naira is a princely sum. I support the cut!
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by omenziate(m): 11:46am On Dec 04, 2012
The commission has been comatose for sometime now, like what is their Job description really cuz all the convicted criminals seem to b free men now.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by plendil: 11:47am On Dec 04, 2012
Area_boy: N21,028,488,772 billion

thats N21 billion billion grin

Can you imagine that?? Other than personnel, what exactly do they need so much money for? They don't have any capital expenditure as far as I know.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by excondido(m): 11:51am On Dec 04, 2012
if its anything to do wt aso rock they wil appropriate huge budget sharply..we dey sidon look
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by taharqa: 11:51am On Dec 04, 2012
KINGwax: but your president can spend billions on meals per day? I heard 1.3billion aint even enough!
Now, do u knw how much it costs to investigate, prosecute and pursue a case?
Well, i won't be suprised if they started accepting bribes from A to prosecute B for the benefit of A!
My frnd get yr facts right and stop spitting nasense, lol.... Abeg, always try to verify every tin u 'hear', b4 relaying it in public
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by excondido(m): 11:56am On Dec 04, 2012
PointB: Not sure how EFCC runs their operations, but N21 Billion Naira is a princely sum. I support the cut!
when u r nt sure u stay mute. no amount is too big to fight d monster that have come to stay.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Dee60: 12:11pm On Dec 04, 2012
Don't know if it makes any difference.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by nonjebose(m): 12:43pm On Dec 04, 2012
C O R R U P T I O N no get enemy!
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by PointB: 12:47pm On Dec 04, 2012
excondido: when u r nt sure u stay mute. no amount is too big to fight d monster that have come to stay.

Why not then we use the whole federation budget to fight corruption, since no amount is too small.

1 Like

Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Nosyke(m): 12:49pm On Dec 04, 2012
plendil:

Can you imagine that?? Other than personnel, what exactly do they need so much money for? They don't have any capital expenditure as far as I know.

Investigations cost money......lots of it. Suspects will have to be transported from Detention to courts,(flights, fuel for cars) be fed, pay lawyers and other logistic arrangements.
Do you know how much it cost the UK to successfully prosecute Ibori.................£14 million (about N3.6billion). shocked shocked shocked
Now this is just for 1 person only. Now do a random extrapolation to the numerous 'thieves' we have in this Country.....your guess is as good as mine.

As far as I am concerned, no amount is too much to fight corruption. By the way, its funny how a government that wants to fight corruption slashes the funds meant for this very fight but brings up frivolous expenditures like building an extra new banquet hall for the state house (over 2 Billion). An irony I must say.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Dec 04, 2012
EFCC should be scrapped, ICPC should also be scrapped. Their budgetary allocation should be handed over to the Police and the Military Police. EFCC and ICPC are just external police posts with branding. Infact, EFCC is more corrupt than corruption itself.

3 Likes

Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 04, 2012
Good. That is the first step towards scraping it or at best merging it with ICPC
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by dounleedee: 1:35pm On Dec 04, 2012
EFCC budget is a pittance if we are really serious about fighting crime.
Personally I don’t see why the agency should not be an organ of the Nigeria police.
Funding EFCC and crippling the professionalism of the police is an aberration.
Is it not sad that Nigeria in this century of ICT advancement still does not have a finger printing mechanising for identifying and tracking criminals? I can still remember the controversy concerning Ibori’s conviction records in Asaba and how our entire judicial and policing structures were exposed to global ridicule!
What makes this story pathetic and ridiculous is the fact that the Budget Office an organ of the presidency was responsible for the slash and not the NASS yet the same agency saw nothing wrong with the figures presented by the petroleum minister.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by PointB: 1:45pm On Dec 04, 2012
Billyonaire: EFCC should be scrapped, ICPC should also be scrapped. Their budgetary allocation should be handed over to the Police and the Military Police. EFCC and ICPC are just external police posts with branding. Infact, EFCC is more corrupt than corruption itself.

I wonder oo.

Was it not the same EFCC through Ribadu that said Tinubu's fraud is of international proportion, only for the later to band with the latter in an unholy unproductive political alliance.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by nonjebose(m): 2:02pm On Dec 04, 2012
C O R R U P T I O N no get enemy! so long a war
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by juman(m): 2:14pm On Dec 04, 2012
Iykopee: i see no reason why EFCC shud exit @ first

May God bless you.

EFCC is just yeye agency. They should close shop.
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Bolarge1(m): 2:56pm On Dec 04, 2012
PLS OOOOOOOO! NOTHING FOR EFCC NEXT YEAR MRS MADUEKE ALISON OR WETIN BE HER NAME NEEDS N6.3BILLION TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL OF PIB NEXT YEAR O!.

MAKE WE CHOP THAT ONE FIRST EFFC WE SHALL SEE YOU 2014.

Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by black9jaberry: 3:08pm On Dec 04, 2012
wht has Efcc done wt d fund given to em so far?

They simply shd b scrapped
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by Bigboy100: 3:10pm On Dec 04, 2012
EFCC and ICPC should be merged on the one hand and then a new Act should be promulgated to give them exclusive and unfettered power to deal with any financial offender. Its budget should also be freed from executive interference just like that of the judiciary. The head should be from the rank of a DIG or an Ex-Appeal Court Judge or even an Ex- Chief Judge of the Federal High Court. I think the problem of the EFCC is that of execution rather than prosecution. So what it really need is a legislative breather from executive gridlock .
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by adigun65: 3:20pm On Dec 04, 2012
did dey slash 1. senator/ Hon. allowances? 2. Aso villa budget? & oda chopping andencies?
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by PosCaricature: 3:21pm On Dec 04, 2012
take dat: This EFCC sef no serious, so they expect government to adequately fund them so that they can start chasing political office holders, government officials and their cronies outside government around town? Its another way to alert EFCC and Nigerians that Corruption has come to stay, its the Insignia of Government hence why EFCC will remain underfunded and a toothless dog!

What is the unseriousness in that?
Re: EFCC's Budget Slashed: Good Or Bad Sign? by PosCaricature: 3:24pm On Dec 04, 2012
Iykopee: i see no reason why EFCC shud exit @ first
... Just to render the commission incapacitated.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is The True Genesis Of Oduah's Problems / Stunning Confession Of Captured Boko Haram Terrorist Ogwuche / EL-RUFAI'S SON, Bashir El Rufai And His Expensive Life Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.