Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? (1937 Views)

Liverpool Ladies Accept Arsenal Bid For Asisat Oshoala. / Segun Odegbami For FIFA President Promo Photos / Mikel & Oduamadi Picked For FIFA Doping Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Nobody: 6:45am On Dec 04, 2012
Fellow Nairalanders, I think a Nigerian can bid for either the 2026 or 2030 World cup isn't out of the realm of possibility. However, a massive upgrade of infrastructure would need to be carried out for such a bid to be even remotely viable. It is true that Nigeria has hosted both the FIFA U-17 and U-20 World Cups, but the main World Cup is a different kettle of fish.

For starters, the minimum capacity of the stadia used for the opening and final matches should be 70,000; while minimum for the other group games and knockout matches is around 40,000. Presently, no Nigerian stadium can host a World Cup opening match or final.

In the final analysis, is it viable for Nigeria to host a FIFA World Cup? Would it be beneficial to our economy? Your thoughts.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Nobody: 3:05am On Jul 27, 2014
I'd choose these cities as venues: Lagos, Ibadan, Port Harcourt, Warri, Uyo, Enugu, Abuja, Kano and Jos.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by daveP(m): 3:09am On Jul 27, 2014
We should rather set everything in such a way it favors us hosting women's world cup,or U-20.its so so possible.and FIFA would be surprised at the turnout the fans would give.it would exceed previous stats,cos africans would like to see the women.I hope Fifa is reasoning?
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Nobody: 4:04am On Jul 27, 2014
daveP: We should rather set everything in such a way it favors us hosting women's world cup,or U-20.its so so possible.and FIFA would be surprised at the turnout the fans would give.it would exceed previous stats,cos africans would like to see the women.I hope Fifa is reasoning?
Yeah, a FIFA Women's World Cup in Nigeria would be awesome. 6 or 7 stadia would be available for use.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Syenite(m): 6:28am On Jul 27, 2014
Let us start with 2019 or 2021 AFCON.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 27, 2014
^^
Starting with the relatively 'smaller' tourneys won't be a bad idea.

If Naija is granted a WC hosting right; the finals draw could be held in Port-Harcourt, and the IBC could be located in Lagos cool
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by daveP(m): 1:21pm On Jul 27, 2014
CFCfan:
Yeah, a FIFA Women's World Cup in Nigeria would be awesome. 6 or 7 stadia would be available for use.
only that we'l have to start fearing the possibilty of the glass stained house-nff from chopping the profits made,instead of using it to develop the women's league which would be a very great idea.i hope they bid jst in time.happy sunday
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by daveP(m): 1:26pm On Jul 27, 2014
Syenite: Let us start with 2019 or 2021 AFCON.
about that i guess its a very big chance of grabbing if we bid, but look at the possibilties of hosting and crashing.its a typical nigeria mentality that if we host a tourney, we must win.rem nigeria 99, oliseh crying , rigobert song dancing galala! I think thats what NFF are scared off.cos it will start a whole level of corruption and finger poking(for AFCON i mean) but we always wake up when its the world cup!(U17) .
These are fresh possiblities i wonder why they are 'sleeping' in that glass house. No Foresight for the Future (NFF)
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Dhulqarnain(m): 4:21pm On Jul 27, 2014
I don't see that happening.How many stadia do we av that av 45,000 and above capacity? And even if we build those stadia,where are d fans that wuld fill dem up? I remember d 2009 under-17 WC we hosted,during d opening match,afta goin 3-0 behind,half of d fans left d Abuja stadium,same thing happened in d final.When we still played matches in Abuja,d stadium ws hardly ever filled up,maybe thats 1 of d reasons we moved to Calabar.
Not 2 4get security nd financial issues,among odas.
I also think it will be a long tym b4 Africa will get a chance 2 host d WC again.
Let us bid 4 d nations cup instead!
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by M4gunners: 6:50pm On Jul 27, 2014
Dreamers, Fifa will allow nigeria to host World Cup in our dreams only.Security will be Fifa first thought when they hear the Name Nigeria.Boko Haram will kidnapped and bomb Stadioms.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by omar22(m): 8:43pm On Jul 27, 2014
You need 2 or 3 stadiums to host the opening, both semi finals, 3rd place and finals they have to he over 70k. If it's going come to Africa again they are other countries who are in better position to host than Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Syenite(m): 3:52am On Jul 28, 2014
daveP: about that i guess its a very big chance of grabbing if we bid, but look at the possibilties of hosting and crashing.its a typical nigeria mentality that if we host a tourney, we must win.rem nigeria 99, oliseh crying , rigobert song dancing galala! I think thats what NFF are scared off.cos it will start a whole level of corruption and finger poking(for AFCON i mean) but we always wake up when its the world cup!(U17) .
These are fresh possiblities i wonder why they are 'sleeping' in that glass house. No Foresight for the Future (NFF)
Was there any AFCON in 1999? Did Oliseh play for Nigeria @ Nigeria 99? May be u were still too young then.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Syenite(m): 3:55am On Jul 28, 2014
Dhulqarnain: I don't see that happening.How many stadia do we av that av 45,000 and above capacity? And even if we build those stadia,where are d fans that wuld fill dem up? I remember d 2009 under-20 WC we hosted,during d opening match,afta goin 3-0 behind,half of d fans left d Abuja stadium,same thing happened in d final.When we still played matches in Abuja,d stadium ws hardly ever filled up,maybe thats 1 of d reasons we moved to Calabar.
Not 2 4get security nd financial issues,among odas.
I also think it will be a long tym b4 Africa will get a chance 2 host d WC again.
Let us bid 4 d nations cup instead!
In 2009 Nigeria hosted the U17 and nt the U20.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Dhulqarnain(m): 5:27am On Jul 28, 2014
Syenite:
In 2009 Nigeria hosted the U17 and nt the U20.
Oops..thanks
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Dhelake: 8:35am On Jul 28, 2014
Face reality and stop dreaming, You need to see the state of the two national stadiums, then you will face reality
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Krasid(m): 11:23am On Jul 28, 2014
We should think about hosting the nations cup not the world cup.Nigeria still has a long way to go before it can host a world cup.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by arsetalks(m): 12:07pm On Jul 28, 2014
daveP: We should rather set everything in such a way it favors us hosting women's world cup,or U-20.its so so possible.and FIFA would be surprised at the turnout the fans would give.it would exceed previous stats,cos africans would like to see the women.I hope Fifa is reasoning?
I second this. We should start with the smaller championships that we are yet to host. However, as the hosting rights of this tournaments are given at least 6 years before, we may stand little chance because of Boko Haram which our clu.eless president seems clu.eless to fix.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by daveP(m): 12:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
Syenite:
Was there any AFCON in 1999? Did Oliseh play for Nigeria @ Nigeria 99? May be u were still too young then.
its fady,guess twas 2000,or 02 .99 was a youth championship, i rem.jst remembered now.but cant forget oliseh crying.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by daveP(m): 12:41pm On Jul 28, 2014
arsetalks: I second this. We should start with the smaller championships that we are yet to host. However, as the hosting rights of this tournaments are given at least 6 years before, we may stand little chance because of Boko Haram which our clu.eless president seems clu.eless to fix.

thats true,but if its done mainly in the south,i doubt they may likely strike,but they r unpredictable jst like our clueless oga @d top.mehn il dream to see this tournament happen.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 28, 2014
Dhelake: Face reality and stop dreaming, You need to see the state of the two national stadiums, then you will face reality

A new football stadium in Lagos, and the Abuja national stadium would suffice. Also, the stadia in the other host cities would have to be significantly upgraded/or new stadia constructed.
Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Dhelake: 1:31pm On Jul 29, 2014
CFCfan:

A new football stadium in Lagos, and the Abuja national stadium would suffice. Also, the stadia in the other host cities would have to be significantly upgraded/or new stadia constructed.
Face reality bruh, hosting a world cup should be the least of Nigeria's worries, it takes a lot of money to do all this things, Brazil spent over $10b on stadias even though they only built about 3 new ones, Nigeria that cant afford $1b to fight terrorism, forget bruh

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Beive85: 1:44pm On Jul 29, 2014

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 29, 2014
Dhelake: Face reality and stop dreaming, You need to see the state of the two national stadiums, then you will face reality

There is only ONE bonafide national stadium at present and it is in Abuja, and it is in perfect condition. Moreover, nations are given almost a decade in advance to prepare their stadia, hotels etc for hosting the WC, so pointing to the condition of any facility today is dumb.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bid For FIFA World Cup? by omar22(m): 9:33am On Jul 30, 2014
the 2030 WC will porbably go to Uruguay because will coincide with the centennial anniversary of the first FIFA World Cup in Uruguay and the bicentennial of the first Constitution of Uruguay.

Nigeria getting a world cup, well from voting to hosting is around 8 years, Unless FIFA says its going to the continent of Africa and CAF and all other nations backs Nigeria then Nigeria will get the right to host the world if countries like Egypt and Morocco or a country in the Southern hemishpere of Africa stands up (Like Angola) stands am sorry Nigeria has no chance. If am correct Nigeria offered to hand back the right to host the 2009 U17 WC months before the opening game due to lack of money which got Sepp Blatter scrambling from here to there funding part of the expenses. Or the 1999 U20 World Cup that had power failures in some cities during matches, Audio problems in some stadiums, playing North Korea's National Anthem when South Korea playing, Hotel prices going up 800%. And you Honestly think FIFA will give Nigeria another tournament to host. 2009 Nigeria hosted matches in 8 cities, for the world cup you need a minimum of 9 Cities
In 2009 Nigeria used 8 stadiums

Abuja National Stadium Capacity: 60,491

Lagos Teslim Balogun Stadium Capacity: 24,325

Enugu Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium Capacity: 22,000

Ijebu-Ode Gateway Stadium Capacity: 20,000

Kano Sani Abacha Stadium Capacity: 18,000

Calabar U.J. Esuene Stadium Capacity: 16,000

Kaduna Ahmadu Bello Stadium Capacity: 16,500

Bauchi Abubarkar Tafawa Balewa Stadium Capacity: 15,000

The world cup requirements needs 3 stadium over 60k and 6 stadia within the region of 40k, South Africa had 3 stadium well over 60K 6 stadiums over 40k and the last one 38k

South Africa hosted the rugby world cup in 1995, so they had most of their stadiums in place they just needed refurblishment, Germany 2006, The Germans built 4 new stadias and refurblished 5 others, Nigeria will have to build between 8 or 9 new stadiums roads from the airport to the stadium has to be perfect, Hotels well Lagos yes but other places and Boko Haram oh please.... It wont happen

(1) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo May Have Won The Ballon D'or..but Messi Tops Fifa 15 Rankings / Interested People Should Join In Big Win Forcasts HT/FT Tips / Lionel Messi With A Nice BANTER For Ronaldo After Madrid's Defeat To Wolfsburg.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.