Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,389 members, 7,781,118 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:18 AM

Cause Of Steering Vibration - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cause Of Steering Vibration (3472 Views)

The Major Cause Of Tyre Burst Accidents In Nigeria ( Pictures Included ) / . / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cause Of Steering Vibration by trakos(m): 11:31am On Dec 04, 2012
Hello fellow nairalanders
Please i need your advice based on past experience.i bought my 2007 Toyota Camry SE in April this year(just 8months) it was very clean nd in good condition.after a while,i discovereded the steering vibrates while braking down from high speed (above 100km/h).i was told it could b d wheel alignment,so i went for the alignment.the vibration persist for some time,then i was not feeling vibration as before again,though not completely gone.due to the low nature of camry,the car hit d ground on one bad road last week after which i started feeling the vibration but this time,it was so much.The guy that drove the car back home also confirmed it cos then,i was on my way to d airport.i will be back home tomorrow,and i will like to have an idea of the cause before taking it to mechanic,u know these people can tell you what is not.
Please feel free to make comments,really need them
Re: Cause Of Steering Vibration by tslily: 5:05pm On Dec 04, 2012
I stumble on this from the internet and I think it may be useful to you.

Vibrations in the steering column can happen for a number of reasons, such as a busted motor mount, bent rims, bad CV joints or loose lug nuts [source: Distad]. But none of these automotive problems would cause a steering wheel to shake only when the brakes are applied. That's almost always due to a problem with the rotors.

"What's a rotor?" Good question. Rotors are discs that your brake pads clamp down on in order to stop your car. In other words, they're pretty important. Why they may cause the steering wheel to shake when braking requires a quick review of how rotors work.

Rotors are usually made of metal and function at a specific width, depending on the make and model of your vehicle. When you apply the brakes, the rotors are exposed to intense heat that must be dissipated evenly across its surface for a smooth stop. However, rotors tend to wear down over time [source: FamilyCar]. As this happens, the metal may become thinned out or warped in certain spots. When the brake pads grip the rotor at high speeds, these imperfections cause a rumbling in the brake pedal that's then transmitted to the steering wheel.
Re: Cause Of Steering Vibration by nnamokenna(m): 6:35pm On Dec 04, 2012
trakos: Hello fellow nairalanders
Please i need your advice base on past experience.i bought my 2007 Toyota camry se in april this year(just 8months) it was very clean nd in good condition.after a while,i discover the steering vibrates while braking down from high speed (above 100km/h).i was told it could b d wheel alignment,so i went for the alignment.the vibration persist for some time,then i was not feeling vibration as before again,though not completely gone.due to the low nature of camry,the car hit d ground on one bad road last week after which i started feeling the vibration but this time,it was so much.The guy that drove the car back home also confirmed it cos then,i was on my way to d airport.i will be back home tomorrow,and i will like to have an idea of the cause before taking it to mechanic,u know this people can tell you what is not.
Please feel free to make comments,inreally need them

The same thing has happened to me too. Did everything: wheel balancing, alignment, changed this, changed that, problem still persisted.

Then there was one guy I went to for balancing and alignment. He drove the car and even before I told him what I was experiencing, he told me that my tires are shaking because my alloy rims have been bent out of shape and that once I change the four, it would stop.

Once I changed the four rims, it stopped. If you are using alloy rims, I suggest you check them out too as a possible cause.
Re: Cause Of Steering Vibration by Tobiizzy(m): 6:39pm On Dec 06, 2012
You should have the rotor looked at also the tyres , you could check the rotor (brake disc) by running your finger across it . It should be a smooth and parallel surface
Re: Cause Of Steering Vibration by cmax16: 6:15am On Jan 17, 2013
i would check the tyres to be sure the treads are ok, and the make sure you have not exceeded the recommended air gauge by the manufacturer (psi)...
Re: Cause Of Steering Vibration by Fruittyswaqboii(m): 8:58am On Jan 17, 2013
Check your tires, rims and wheel balancing. If it persists, the engine sitting should be checked too.

Kufre U.

(1) (Reply)

Daewoo Magnus Classic / Peugeot 407 - How Much? / Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.