Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,959 members, 7,806,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits (3503 Views)

Another Error Of Quran Or Muhammed / Bishop David Oyedepo: 2013 Prophetic Declarations -Your Double Portion Year / Shiloh 2012: Double Portion:...DAY FOUR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Goshen360(m): 4:22pm On Dec 04, 2012
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,

New Living Translation (©2007)
Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. - Ephesians 3:20

In Today's "Churchianity", we often hear the phrase "Double Portion" of this or that especially as it relates to anointing, oil and blessings. There's nothing like double portion anointing under the New Testament because we are under a better covenant. We are under a covenant that blesses beyond and without limited to only double portion. Many of us Christians don't know what we have being given under the NT; hence we run after the shadows thinking they are substance. Asking or going after a double portion is to limit God to only a "double" dose of blessing in your life.

2 Likes

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 04, 2012
Thanks brah Goshen. Subscribing fulltime....
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Goshen360(m): 5:11pm On Dec 04, 2012
^^^ Thank you bro. You're most welcome. To unveil our unlimited riches and blessings beyond double portion, Ephesians is the book. My God, that book is mind blowing and deeper revelation.

1 Like

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by RanchOwner: 5:23pm On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen360: King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. - Ephesians 3:20

In Today's "Churchianity", we often hear the phrase "Double Portion" of this or that especially as it relates to anointing, oil and blessings. There's nothing like double portion anointing under the New Testament because we are under a better covenant. We are under a covenant that blesses beyond and without limited to only double portion. Many of us Christians don't know what we have being given under the NT; hence we run after the shadows thinking they are substance. Asking or going after a double portion is to limit God to only a "double" dose of blessing in your life.

Good article, short but heavily packaged.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Goshen360(m): 5:28pm On Dec 04, 2012
^^^ Thank you bro. I saw your article on the tithe thread and joy filled my heart for the truth conveyed in your write up. In the latter days, knowledge will increase the scripture says. Keep doing the work and fighting the good fight. God bless you.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by debosky(m): 6:38pm On Dec 04, 2012
@ Goshen

I agree with you in principle, however I still feel there is a valid place for those who choose to 'access' God's exceedingly abundant blessings by initially trusting Him for a 'double portion'. Hence I think the use of 'heresy' is too harsh - I'd prefer to call it an incomplete teaching.

I see faith as something progressively developed as one's relationship with God grows. Even the disciples that saw Jesus korokoro did not always fully grasp His power and what it could achieve in their lives. Only after repeated teaching/experience did they come to this full realisation.

While, strictly speaking, there is nothing like 'double portion' under the new covenant, it can nevertheless serve as a useful stepping stone towards a complete understanding of God's abundant blessings.

Some may be reluctant to ask for 'abundance' at first, but only ask for a 'double portion' as that is what their faith can carry. When God confirms his ability to do this, then they are able to more boldly come into God's presence and receive from his grace.

God bless you.

5 Likes

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Goshen360(m): 6:44pm On Dec 04, 2012
^^^ Okay bro. Thanks for bringing me to correction. ~Title Edited~
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 04, 2012
Goshen, what is now the difference between you and a prosperity preacher?

1 Like

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Goshen360(m): 7:07pm On Dec 04, 2012
^^^ How do you mean
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by okeyxyz(m): 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2012
@debosky:
Nice writing. Such sound reasoning is quite rare on nairaland. Everybody seems to be angry here and looking for somebody to oppress so they can feel good about themselves. It's a nigerian thing and I'm not surprised, but when these occasional soundness of mind as yours above pops up, I smile because it is refreshing, I feel my visit to nairaland was not a waste of time and I continue to hope that somewhere another interesting and reasonable opinion is lurking amongst the heap of 95% rubbish content of nairaland. So 5% is good enough reason to hope and to come back for. cheers. cheesy
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by okeyxyz(m): 11:11pm On Dec 04, 2012
@Goshen:
When I read the topic, I thought that someone was at last going to explain the true meaning of double-portion to the 'ignorant'(no insult) christians who brandish this saying about. But alas, It was not to be, So I take this opportunity to explain, so when next a christian uses the phrase 'double portion' they should know how to apply it properly.

Double portion is simply a jewish principle of inheritance. For example, if a man has five sons and he is going to share his property amongst them, He would divide his property into six parts(instead of five), The first son(or preferred son) takes two parts while the others take a part each. The son with a double portion is the one who assumes the position of the father after his death. Double portion has nothing to do with amount of wealth or blessing given to a seeker, it is about inheritance of office. So spiritually, if a prophet consents his double portion to a disciple, then such disciple inherits his office of prophesy after he's gone. This was the case with elijah and elisha. Elisha did not get 'double' the prophetic power of elijah, he merely inherited the same, exact office of Elijah, according to tradition.

1 Like

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Goshen360(m): 6:45am On Dec 05, 2012
@ okeyxyz,

I understand your explanation of "double portion" before starting this thread. My simple teaching is that, the New Testament believers aren't limited to "double" portion alone. Our heritage is beyond "double" portion and not limited to it. I'm subject to the correction of the brethren such as debosky because the Spirit bears witness in me when he said, using the word "heresy" is rather too harsh; hence the change of the title.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by truthislight: 10:00am On Dec 05, 2012
Logicboy03: Goshen, what is now the difference between you and a prosperity preacher?

Good question.

They come in shade and sizes.

1 Like

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by truthislight: 10:05am On Dec 05, 2012
Goshen360: ^^^ How do you mean

how do one access this or key into it?

It appears that not all christian that i have seen are abundantly rich, so what are they missing out in their worship that is preventing them from "tapping into this over double portion"?

Is this "christian God" partial?

I thought he said he knows our need even befor we ask?

Hmmm!
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 05, 2012
^^^Hardwork brah, you can't just sit there and pray for a billions yrs and be expecting God to bless you. Everything is there, you have to just work hard as you tap into this 'over double portion'. Infact, hardwork is a pre-requisite!!
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Image123(m): 11:17am On Dec 05, 2012
not again. There's nothing wrong with a double portion. All this noise about limitless and there's struggle to see a single portion among folks. Walk with God is majorly according to your faith personal. There is positional blessing and experiential blessing. Each believer walks continually from experiential to positional in his pilgrimage to perfection.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by okeyxyz(m): 11:22am On Dec 05, 2012
Goshen360: @ okeyxyz,

I understand your explanation of "double portion" before starting this thread. My simple teaching is that, the New Testament believers aren't limited to "double" portion alone. Our heritage is beyond "double" portion and not limited to it. I'm subject to the correction of the brethren such as debosky because the Spirit bears witness in me when he said, using the word "heresy" is rather too harsh; hence the change of the title.

You don't understand my point. You are still treating 'double portion' as a measure\quantity. Double portion is a symbol or "certificate" affirming your right to a position\privilege\etc, it is not a measure\quantity of whatever you get. Therefore your argument that "christians limiting themselves..." should not apply. It is illogical(& impossible) in the literal sense for god to give you a double portion of his power\wealth. That would mean giving more than he himself has. So where is he gonna get the other part from to make up the double? My point is that christians are misusing this phrase as a quantifier rather than a qualifier. Double portion qualifies(gives you the right) you for a privilege. You guys should try and set yourselves straight. cheesy
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Kx: 11:25am On Dec 05, 2012
I am convinced deep within me that claiming double portion anointing is more like limiting what we can gracefully receive from God.

What does a mere times 2 got to do with exceedingly abundantly above all we can ever ask of?

1 Like

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by truthislight: 12:57pm On Dec 05, 2012
seriallink: ^^^Hardwork brah, you can't just sit there and pray for a billions and be expecting God to bless you. Everything is there, you have to just work hard as you tap into this 'over double portion'. Infact, hardwork is a pre-requisite!!

meaning that all humans christians and none christians can earn a living depending on their skill level and maximisation of opurtunities.

Is it not Jesus that said this:

"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. " (Matthew 5:45).

^^^Yahweh indeed is not partial.

1 Like

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Zikkyy(m): 1:19pm On Dec 05, 2012
truthislight:

Good question.

They come in shade and sizes.

Lol! grin grin
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by taigee: 3:23pm On Dec 05, 2012
Goshen360: King James 2000 Bible (©2003)

Many times argumentative people end up confusing themselves and others, why not tear-off the Old Testament part of your bible so we can know the OT is completely irrelevant to the New Testament believer.
Double portion of what? Is it not the limitless benevolence of God that can make one to go for a double portion. EG. Someone has 100; the double portion is 200. Another has 100,000 the double portion is 200,000.
Yes God can do above what we may ask or think, but we must ask with specifics first.
Don't always be too consumed with your attempt to proof Preachers wrong and go wrong yourself. Double Portion does not Limit God it means we are asking with specifics.
or is it wrong to ask with specifics?
The question should be double portion of what?
Elisha wanted double of the auction of Elijah. (2 kings 2:9) It was hard, but God did it.
The anointing is in measures (Eph 4;13), only Jesus was anointed without measure (John 3:34)
We have access to a measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ (The Anointed One)
We can quantify our thirst for the anointing like asking for double the anointing of Christ we see operating in a Man.
Paul said covet (ie. Look for the Best Gifts)
Do you know what the anointing is?
Please do a study and know that when it come to the anointing the term "Double Portion" is not out of place.
Its about asking for an unquantifiable but tangible virtue (the anointing), while trying to be specific (x2)
God can do more than that, but we must ask first.

1 Like

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by RanchOwner: 3:41pm On Dec 05, 2012
okeyxyz: @Goshen:
When I read the topic, I thought that someone was at last going to explain the true meaning of double-portion to the 'ignorant'(no insult) christians who brandish this saying about. But alas, It was not to be, So I take this opportunity to explain, so when next a christian uses the phrase 'double portion' they should know how to apply it properly.

Double portion is simply a jewish principle of inheritance. For example, if a man has five sons and he is going to share his property amongst them, He would divide his property into six parts(instead of five), The first son(or preferred son) takes two parts while the others take a part each. The son with a double portion is the one who assumes the position of the father after his death. Double portion has nothing to do with amount of wealth or blessing given to a seeker, it is about inheritance of office. So spiritually, if a prophet consents his double portion to a disciple, then such disciple inherits his office of prophesy after he's gone. This was the case with elijah and elisha. Elisha did not get 'double' the prophetic power of elijah, he merely inherited the same, exact office of Elijah, according to tradition.

Another masterpiece.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by taigee: 3:56pm On Dec 05, 2012
okeyxyz: @Goshen:

Wrong again, read the stories well, what raised the dead from the bones of Elisha when a dead man was thrown into his tomb. (2 Kings 13:21) Its called the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Elisha did not ask for double of what Elijah had, or double of His prophetic office. He asked for Double of His SPIRIT. Go and study more on the anointing of the Holy Spirit maybe you will understand better.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by PastorKun(m): 4:08pm On Dec 05, 2012
@Goshen
I just read somewhere on this forum that 'double portion' is the theme for this year's shiloh Jamboree of winner's chapel. If that is what inspired this write up, I would say why bother after all every body knows that oyedepo is a very shallow and incompetent preacher who has no understanding of what christ's gospel is all about.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Image123(m): 4:57pm On Dec 05, 2012
Pastor Kun: @Goshen
I just read somewhere on this forum that 'double portion' is the theme for this year's shiloh Jamboree of winner's chapel. If that is what inspired this write up, I would say why bother after all every body knows that oyedepo is a very shallow and incompetent preacher who has no understanding of what christ's gospel is all about.
And you that is competent and deep, what have you done for yourself or for God. Envious fellow, look for something to achieve before you die.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by debosky(m): 5:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:
And you that is competent and deep, what have you done for yourself or for God. Envious fellow, look for something to achieve before you die.

This is getting too personal.

1 Like

Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by truthislight: 5:30pm On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:

its like while @ chris Oyakhelomi-Joagbaje is a product working for chris Oyakhelomi.

@image123 is a product of Adeboye.

Ok, it is noted.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Nobody: 5:56pm On Dec 05, 2012
debosky:

Nothing personal in what image said jare..sumtyms believers tend to be pompous and full of revelations claimin to know it all hence neglecting the place of mentorship in ministry..as some one rightly pointed out there is nothing wrong in the Tag:double portion. There is a dimension of God's necessary communication with us that we will receive only thru other saints.."remember all joints supplieth". Every saint of God who desires to know as fully as possible the mind and purpose of God needs to remain open to hear God speak to him thru the prophets or any other five-fold ministry..The bishop may be right and we may be wrong in this regard: As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another,as good stewards of the manifold grace of God....If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies,that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen. (1pet4:10-11).
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 05, 2012
Pastor Kun: @Goshen
Funny u calling oyedepo shallow and incompetent preacher..i have listened to his tapes and read his books..we may disagree on some doctrinal issues..but there is nothing shallow or incompetent about him...now my question is do u have a mentor in ministry? Cos i can see u using a tag of pst on ur nick..or is it just plain hypocrisy just to mock the body of christ.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by truthislight: 6:16pm On Dec 05, 2012
cool cool cool cool cool cool
Bidam: Funny u calling oyedepo shallow and incompetent preacher..i have listened to his tapes and read his books..we may disagree on some doctrinal issues..but there is nothing shallow or incompetent about him...now my question is do u have a mentor in ministry? Cos i can see u using a tag of pst on ur nick..or is it just plain hypocrisy just to mock the body of christ.

Oyadepo is a Fraud. cool
Bidam: Funny u calling oyedepo shallow and incompetent preacher..i have listened to his tapes and read his books..we may disagree on some doctrinal issues..but there is nothing shallow or incompetent about him...now my question is do u have a mentor in ministry? Cos i can see u using a tag of pst on ur nick..or is it just plain hypocrisy just to mock the body of christ.

Oyadepo is a Fraud. QED.
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by Image123(m): 7:26pm On Dec 05, 2012
debosky:

My Lord God. debor, was your friend kunle not personal on oyedepo?
Re: The Error Of "Double Portion" - NT Believers Are Blessed Beyond Limits by debosky(m): 7:32pm On Dec 05, 2012
Image123:
My Lord God. debor, was your friend kunle not personal on oyedepo?

Even if he was, there's nothing to gain by retaliating - abi are you Oyedepo in disguise? grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

MODIFIED / Sentenced For Asking Members For Tithes: The Drama / 14-days Prayer Session For Nigeria : People, We Need To Pray-day 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.