Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,480 members, 7,801,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

What Language Is "GARRI" ? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Language Is "GARRI" ? (5590 Views)

Is Garri A Food Or A Snack / Is Garri And Soup D Best Food In Nigeria / Is Garri Drinking (or Soaking) Dangerous To The Eyes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Language Is "GARRI" ? by bisi16(m): 5:50pm On Dec 04, 2012
While having a discussion at d office, a colleague of mine claimed d word originated from his language.. I thot deeply about it but just couldn't place its origin, largely because everybody calls it d same thng. I argued dat it's pidgin english shaa.

So please, what language is GARRI ? If not pidgin..

Thanx. smiley
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by Coldfeet(f): 5:57pm On Dec 04, 2012
Garri is IGBO!!! Corrupted version of Iga erri? Meaning will you eat?
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by ihedioramma: 6:02pm On Dec 04, 2012
THATS TRU WORLD.
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by Caseless: 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2012
That name is nigerian-supported like the pidgin english. That name 'GARRI' is a symbol of national unity and can also represent the hidden relationship in our diversity.

If there is anything common to nigerians ,apart from our national football team , is garri and as such it should be respected as a national symbol within/outside nigeria, and also on nairaland...cos any moderator banning us for being pro-garri is against our national symbol....ofcourse, u knw what that amounts to.

No language own that name abeg, it belong to all of us as nigerians.

I love garri , i'm ready to uphold her honour and glory....so help me GOD!
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by Caseless: 6:10pm On Dec 04, 2012
Coldfeet: Garri is IGBO!!! Corrupted version of Iga erri? Meaning will you eat?
for weye? How does that question in igbo relate to name of garri? U can also tell me abachah is also a corruption of 'will u dance?' Na all of us get dat name, no jst monopolise am abeg.
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by bisi16(m): 6:11pm On Dec 04, 2012
caseless: That name is nigerian-supported like the pidgin english. That name 'GARRI' is a symbol of national unity and can also represent the hidden relationship in our diversity.

If there is anything common to nigerians ,apart from our national football team , is garri and as such it should be respected as a national symbol within/outside nigeria, and also on nairaland...cos any moderator banning us for being pro-garri is against our national symbol....ofcourse, u knw what that amounts to.

No language own that name abeg, it belong to all of us as nigerians.

I love garri , i'm ready to uphold her honour and glory....so help me GOD!
Thoughtful post. I shaa knw say na pidgin english get am.
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by bisi16(m): 6:12pm On Dec 04, 2012
Coldfeet: Garri is IGBO!!! Corrupted version of Iga erri? Meaning will you eat?
Lol.. Very funny.
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by bisi16(m): 6:13pm On Dec 04, 2012
caseless: for weye? How does that question in igbo relate to name of garri? U can also tell me abachah is also a corruption of 'will u dance?' Na all of us get dat name, no jst monopolise am abeg.
Lol, no be small "will u dance"..
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by Coldfeet(f): 6:57pm On Dec 04, 2012
caseless: for weye? How does that question in igbo relate to name of garri? U can also tell me abachah is also a corruption of 'will u dance?' Na all of us get dat name, no jst monopolise am abeg.
Story is.... a long time ago during the slave era! Some traders who came to buy slaves were present when their host were having a meal of eba! They were looking at the then strange but now priceless food! In an odd manner which warranted the question iGA'eRRI? Since they didn't understand the language they thought they were being told the name of the food!!! Not knowing they were being invited to dinner!!!! If you think this is false pray tell us how the name came about!!!
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by Caseless: 7:26pm On Dec 04, 2012
bisi16:
Thoughtful post. I shaa knw say na pidgin english get am.
thank u! Na pidgin get that word(garri).
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by Caseless: 7:28pm On Dec 04, 2012
Coldfeet: Story is.... a long time ago during the slave era! Some traders who came to buy slaves were present when their host were having a meal of eba! They were looking at the then strange but now priceless food! In an odd manner which warranted the question iGA'eRRI? Since they didn't understand the language they thought they were being told the name of the food!!! Not knowing they were being invited to dinner!!!! If you think this is false pray tell us how the name came about!!!
oboi, see history! Cold are u a historian? How come u know all this? U might be right sha......

2 Likes

Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by Caseless: 7:29pm On Dec 04, 2012
bisi16:
Lol, no be small "will u dance"..
or akpu na corruption 'baby, are u in love?'
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 04, 2012
It sounds Igbo- ish
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by bisi16(m): 8:12pm On Dec 04, 2012
Coldfeet: Story is.... a long time ago during the slave era! Some traders who came to buy slaves were present when their host were having a meal of eba! They were looking at the then strange but now priceless food! In an odd manner which warranted the question iGA'eRRI? Since they didn't understand the language they thought they were being told the name of the food!!! Not knowing they were being invited to dinner!!!! If you think this is false pray tell us how the name came about!!!
Lwkm oo! U're crackn me up seriously.. D story sounds tru, but I want other ppl's thots too.
Re: What Language Is "GARRI" ? by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 05, 2012

So, the word Garri is from the traders?

(1) (Reply)

How To Cook Chicken Stew / Buyers And Marketers Of Vitamin A Cassava( GARRI) Wanted / Exquisite Cake Pictures From Sugar Rush Cakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.