Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,047 members, 7,807,143 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? (1531 Views)

Suicide Bomber Kills 65 Christians Celebrating Easter At Children's Park / Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? / How Are You Celebrating Christmas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by ambrosini593(m): 6:05pm On Dec 04, 2012
This is real expecially pagans.
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:09pm On Dec 04, 2012
We will worship the Sun in all its Glory for sustaining us, our people and this planet for millenia since the creation of life iteself. .

ALL HAIL THE SUN! ALL HAIL SOL INVICTUS!

Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:11pm On Dec 04, 2012
Decemeber 26 is the WInter SOlistice when the Sun will appear at its lowest altitude.

The event is seen as the reversal of the Sun's ebbing presence in the sky, concepts of the birth or rebirth of sun gods have been common and, in cultures using winter solstitially based cyclic calendars, the year as reborn has been celebrated with regard to life-death-rebirth deities or new beginnings. In Greek mythology, the gods and goddesses met on the winter and summer solstice, and Hades is permitted to enter Mount Olympus (his domain is the underworld so he of course does not get accepted any other time). Also reversal is yet another usual theme as in Saturnalia's slave and master reversals.
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Coldfeet(f): 6:16pm On Dec 04, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
We will worship the Sun in all its Glory for sustaining us, our people and this planet for millenia since the creation of life iteself. .

ALL HAIL THE SUN! ALL HAIL SOL INVICTUS!

Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by RanchOwner: 6:27pm On Dec 04, 2012
Christmas is actually a pagan festival that was introduced to the Christian faith by the Romans.

So should Christians continue to celebrate the christmas tradition...read the new book by Pope Benedict titled, 'Jesus of Nazareth'.
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by RedLight1: 6:40pm On Dec 04, 2012
becoZ Its a well marketed holiday, especially the santa thingy... Most kids in usa dnt celebrate christmas becoz of jesus buh becoz of santa claus the gift they get and stuffs....
i have many friends in uk that doesnt believe in god let alone jesus buh they all celebrate christmas like big deal... Here in nigeria have seeing a lot of muslims taken their children to see santa clause with their hijab.. So it more like what the holiday bring, not what it really represented.. If not for santa, christmas woulda being like other normal holidays like easter etc
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by AtheistD(m): 12:26am On Dec 05, 2012
Xmas has become a lot less religious and a lot more open and secular. It is a good time to have fun, meet the family, buy presents for friends etc.

Prior to xtianity this day was still still a day of celebration for certain other religions.
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:06am On Dec 05, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
Decemeber 26 is the WInter SOlistice when the Sun will appear at its lowest altitude.

The event is seen as the reversal of the Sun's ebbing presence in the sky, concepts of the birth or rebirth of sun gods have been common and, in cultures using winter solstitially based cyclic calendars, the year as reborn has been celebrated with regard to life-death-rebirth deities or new beginnings. In Greek mythology, the gods and goddesses met on the winter and summer solstice, and Hades is permitted to enter Mount Olympus (his domain is the underworld so he of course does not get accepted any other time). Also reversal is yet another usual theme as in Saturnalia's slave and master reversals.
interesting its dec 26 nt 25 abi?
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:08am On Dec 05, 2012
RanchOwner: Christmas is actually a pagan festival that was introduced to the Christian faith by the Romans.

So should Christians continue to celebrate the christmas tradition...read the new book by Pope Benedict titled, 'Jesus of Nazareth'.
u have read d buk dat is y u are writing d above, b4 u tell pipo to read dis and dis make sure u read it urself.
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Nobody: 2:33am On Dec 05, 2012
the same reason christians fail to ask themselves this:

it's all a scam. tongue
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:13am On Dec 05, 2012
Ubenedictus: interesting its dec 26 nt 25 abi?

25 wink
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:32am On Dec 05, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

PAGAN 9JA:

25 wink
PAGAN 9JA:

oga u hv to chose 1, 25 and 26 cant both b winter solistice, can it?
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:42pm On Dec 05, 2012
Ubenedictus: oga u hv to chose 1, 25 and 26 cant both b winter solistice, can it?

It depends on the festival i am celebrating. The SOl Invictus festival is celebrated on the 25th of December.
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by plappville(f): 5:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
Ubenedictus: oga u hv to chose 1, 25 and 26 cant both b winter solistice, can it?

Does any of these dates scripturally supported or they are invented by man tradition?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by plappville(f): 5:22pm On Dec 05, 2012
Ubenedictus: interesting its dec 26 nt 25 abi?

25 or 26 or 24, the truth remains......
Christmax= .pagan festival period.
But everyone has a choice as a Christian.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by ijawkid(m): 5:26pm On Dec 05, 2012
1.....Its root is pagan....so pagans love it...

2.....Its of the world,so the world would cherish it.......

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:01am On Dec 07, 2012
plappville:

25 or 26 or 24, the truth remains......
Christmax= .pagan festival period.
But everyone has a choice as a Christian.
u have to do more to prove this! Atleast i can't find any early xtian wu blieves d above!
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:03am On Dec 07, 2012
plappville:

Does any of these dates scripturally supported or they are invented by man tradition?
do ya wish to dive into d specifics of how d date was arrived at?
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by AtheistD(m): 11:52am On Dec 07, 2012
Ubenedictus: do ya wish to dive into d specifics of how d date was arrived at?

Go for it brother wink. We all like a good history lesson... Roman Catholic style. cheesy
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:06pm On Dec 08, 2012
Atheist:-D:

Go for it brother wink. We all like a good history lesson... Roman Catholic style. cheesy
no problem expect a link, the date of his birth was not certain, the two main dates that was popularly accepted was dec 25 in d west, jan 6 in d east. I will go into the specifics later
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:23pm On Dec 08, 2012
I'll start from the year of christ birth. To get the year of christ's birth scripture gives us a clue, lk 2:1 says he was born in d reign of augustus which is between 16 january 27bc to 19 aug 14ad. That gives us a range. Lk3:1-2 make it clearer, john began his ministry in d 15th year of tiberius caesar, with herod as tetrarch of galilee, philip of ituraea... Lysania of abilene, and d high priesthood of annas and caiaphas. Tiberius became caesar in 14ad, pilate governor 26 to 36ad, herod antipas 4bc/1bc-39ad, philip 4/1bc-34ad, annas frm 6ad to 15 ad. A prophet begins ministry at 30 and 15th year of tiberius is 28ad to 29 by roman calculation and semp,oct 27ad to 28ad if luke was using d syrian calender. So 30yr backward is 3/2bc and since Jesus and john are abt 6month apart d same year applys for Jesus 4 Jesus. So biblically it can be infered that Jesus was born in 3/2bc. This date also agrees with d early xtians acct, clement dates Jesus birth to 3bc, eusibeus also dates 3bc.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:58pm On Dec 09, 2012

mr athiest are you still there, i wish to go into d month and day but i would hate talking to myself, please give a response
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by AtheistD(m): 10:00am On Dec 10, 2012
Ubenedictus: mr athiest are you still there, i wish to go into d month and day but i would hate talking to myself, please give a response

I was being sarcastic. There is little you are going to tell me that I dont already know wink

Feel free if you want to but i already know how you Catholics love to rewrite history to the tastes of the church cool.

So to summarise, I would prefer a non catholic history link smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:56am On Dec 11, 2012

I was being sarcastic. There is little you are going to tell me that I dont already know wink

Feel free if you want to but i already know how you Catholics love to rewrite history to the tastes of the church cool.

So to summarise, I would prefer a non catholic history link smiley
hahahaha, there is no rewritting of history there, whatever i say are provable, even if u want direct source materials. As for a none catholic link i'll see what i can do. The xmax=pagan myth seem to be loved by most atheist even though the myth can't be proved.
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:17pm On Dec 12, 2012
http://www.bib-arch.org/e-features/christmas.asp try it now, it seems i missed a character.
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by AtheistD(m): 10:01pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ubenedictus: http://www.bib-arch/e-features/christmas.asp

Is the link down? I cant seem to access it.
Re: Why Are Non-christians Celebrating Christmas? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:30pm On Dec 13, 2012

Is the link down? I cant seem to access it.
try it again, i've corrected it

(1) (Reply)

God Of Chosen At It Again!!! Strikes Two Ritual Killers Dead Via Thunder / Pastor E. A. Adeboye's 2013 Prophecy And Current Happenings In Nigeria / Misconceptions About Marriage In The Bible.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.