Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,824 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe (12398 Views)

SW Get Least Amount Of Ministries Of All Regions / Mike Akhigbe Is Not Dead. / Mike Akhigbe Is Dead (Ex Vice President) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Afam4eva(m): 6:53pm On Dec 04, 2012
I saw an interview of Mike Akigbe who was a one time governor of Lagos and Ondo state and also a Chief of staff of former head of state Abacha on AIT this morning as he addressed various issues bothering the polity.

He was asked what he felt about the clamor of state creation and he explicitly objected the idea that more states should be created and he made some valid points. He instead advocated for regionalism which several other people have advocated for. But his own twist is that the six geo-political zones should be regions but that Lagos and Abuja should be made separate regions thereby making it 8 regions instead of six.

What do you guys think about this? Do you think this two cities should be separated from the SW and the NC regions?
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Abagworo(m): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2012
afam4eva: I saw an interview of Mike Akigbe who was a one time governor of Lagos and Ondo state and also a Chief of staff of former head of state Abacha on AIT this morning as he addressed various issues bothering the polity.

He was asked what hye felt about the clamor of state creation and he explicitly objected the idea that more states should be created and he made some valid points. He instead advicated for regionalism which several other people have advocated for. But his own twist is that the six geo-political zones should be regions but that Lagos and Abuja should be made seperate regions thereby making it 8 regions instead of six.

What do you guys think about this? Do you think this two cities should be separated from the SW and the NC regions?

IMHO I prefer merging Imo with Abia. Rivers back with Bayelsa. And Akwa-Ibom with Crossriver.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 04, 2012
afam4eva: I saw an interview of Mike Akigbe who was a one time governor of Lagos and Ondo state and also a Chief of staff of former head of state Abacha on AIT this morning as he addressed various issues bothering the polity.

He was asked what he felt about the clamor of state creation and he explicitly objected the idea that more states should be created and he made some valid points. He instead advocated for regionalism which several other people have advocated for. But his own twist is that the six geo-political zones should be regions but that Lagos and Abuja should be made separate regions thereby making it 8 regions instead of six.

W[b]hat do you guys think about this? Do you think this two cities should be separated from the SW and the NC regions?[/b]

Yorubaland has been separated into different countries, and further into different regions within Nigeria. I think that is enough. Besides, what will be the rationale behind making Lagos a separate region from the rest of the SW?
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Afam4eva(m): 8:17pm On Dec 04, 2012
Aigbofa:
Yorubaland has been separated into different countries, and further into different regions within Nigeria. I think that is enough. Besides, what will be the rationale behind making Lagos a separate region from the rest of the SW?
Do you really mean you don't know the rationale?
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Nobody: 8:27pm On Dec 04, 2012
afam4eva:
Do you really mean you don't know the rationale?

Yes, please explain.
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Afam4eva(m): 8:30pm On Dec 04, 2012
Aigbofa:

Yes, please explain.
What do Lagos and Abuja have in common?
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 04, 2012
Laughable!!

How about re-dividing the regions and grouping all the major ethnic groups into different regions?? That's the best way to go about it IMO...

Include the Yoruba speaking parts of Edo, Kwara, Kogi, Niger, and Delta(including Itsekiris) into the SW - and do the same for other regions?? undecided
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 04, 2012
afam4eva:

Yeah, how about making Calabar a separate region as well. This is about money, nothing else. Stop beating around the bush.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Abagworo(m): 9:10pm On Dec 04, 2012
Aigbofa:

Yeah, how about making Calabar a separate region as well. This is about money, nothing else. Stop beating around the bush.

You seem to have an eye on Lagos money. This is as good as an Igbo wanting Rivers State in the SE.
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 04, 2012
Abagworo:

You seem to have an eye on Lagos money. This is as good as an Igbo wanting Rivers State in the SE.

Not true.
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by PaulJohn1: 3:07am On Dec 05, 2012
Aigbofa:

If possible states should be merged together.
Ogun and Lagos
Ekiti and Ondo
Oyo and Osun
Kwara and kogi
Edo and Delta.

If possible, those Benin republic Yorubas should join undecided

Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Nobody: 3:09am On Dec 05, 2012
Paul John:

If possible states should be merged together.
Ogun and Lagos
Ekiti and Ondo

Oyo and Osun
Kwara and kogi
Edo and Delta.

If possible, those Benin republic Yorubas should join undecided

In as much as I love Ondo state and Ondo people, I beg to differ. There will be no merging.

Why da hel should Osun and Oyo merge? Are you insane? angry
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by NegroNtns(m): 8:09am On Dec 05, 2012
Abagworo:

hmmm, im watching your tresspass.. ...land grabber angry
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by 50calibre(m): 8:23am On Dec 05, 2012
This foolish politicians should focus on more pressing matters of the country, and stop chasing trivial issues
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by PointB: 8:24am On Dec 05, 2012
I support the idea of 6 regions.

As for Lagos and Abuja having regional status, I don't know the basis. I rather the Lagos like Abuja be declared federal territory and an Administrator/Minister be appointed to effectively manage it.
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by princemaicheal: 8:38am On Dec 05, 2012
Is a shame that people that should know better are canvasing for additional regions outside the six region.We have already divided this country to bits should we also proceed to tiny shreds?Lets maintain the six regions and bring back healthy competition as it were in the 60's.
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Robertomatteo: 8:41am On Dec 05, 2012
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Geomac: 8:49am On Dec 05, 2012

It is senseless, this man should quit whatever he is smoking. Abuja will remain in NC.
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Nobody: 8:51am On Dec 05, 2012
What most people keep forgetting is that a slight migration pull from Lagos & Abuja would reduce these states to nothing. If we split into regions, there would be an astronomic rise in the risk of a total division of the country as we know it. Surely, the fear of dividing Nigeria is what no sitting president wants to face.

2015 is the ultimate test. I foresee a Southeast Industrial Bank setup to improve infrastructure in the region and fund a military to defend the region. These plans are underway should the next elections heat up beyond control.
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by ABUGEORGE(m): 9:06am On Dec 05, 2012
Na wao for naija, wen we will ever live has one nigerian dat we claim to be. In d whole thirty six states we have their is no states dat u wont see d yoruba, hausa, igbo and other tribes in dat places, instead of d govt to unite d people or u're dividing d people, wat kind of un thinkin people do we really have in nigeria. Must we deprive one from one. Govt in naija una wahala don too much, u people are killin d country. My question is, creating more states will it bring nigeria to success, their are states in naija dat dont have much resources lik dat yet u want to put more state. I tire for una self
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Revolva(m): 9:08am On Dec 05, 2012
Well I support the idea of the man at all point ... There is too much marginalisation in this nation
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by princeFAD: 9:10am On Dec 05, 2012
I think the best is to divide the country into three parts
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by tunapawizzy: 9:19am On Dec 05, 2012
prince FAD: I think the best is to divide the country into three parts
NO LETS JUST DIVIDE IT INTO 36PARTS....
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Akanbiedu(m): 9:20am On Dec 05, 2012
Any backdoor arrangement on Lagos will be forcefully resisted.

When the morning was working, what was night doing?
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Sealeddeal(m): 9:27am On Dec 05, 2012
Nigeria! The solution to our problem is clear but some people would hardly accept it. Lets just divide this country but if we must stay together,let the six zones be used as the federating units.
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Sealeddeal(m): 9:31am On Dec 05, 2012
The reason why the West dont like division of nigeria is because,the East region has not included them in their plan.if the easterners should start now to talk of Southern entity instead of Biafra/Niger delta,the west will quickly accept the strategy.who is not tired of nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by ochukoccna: 9:44am On Dec 05, 2012
The genie Nzeogwu let out of the bottle has come home to roost
Let us have a SNC to determine if we want to stay together &the terms of our collective existence or go our seperate ways.
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 05, 2012
afam4eva:

chairman,

am still looking forward to seeing your rationale for removing Lagos from SW and Abuja from NC
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by Afam4eva(m): 9:49am On Dec 05, 2012
donroxy:

chairman,

am still looking forward to seeing your rationale for removing Lagos from SW and Abuja from NC
Who i'm i to remove Lagos and Abuja from the SW and NC respectively. I'm i the government?
Re: Lagos And Abuja Should Be Made Seperate Regions - Mike Akhigbe by ba7man(m): 9:49am On Dec 05, 2012
Tusky44: What most people keep forgetting is that a slight migration pull from Lagos & Abuja would reduce these states to nothing. If we split into regions, there would be an astronomic rise in the risk of a total division of the country as we know it. Surely, the fear of dividing Nigeria is what no sitting president wants to face.

2015 is the ultimate test. I foresee a Southeast Industrial Bank setup to improve infrastructure in the region and fund a military to defend the region. These plans are underway should the next elections heat up beyond control.
You're so wrong. Lagos needs to be decongested b'cos its already a global example of overpopulation. The infrastructure in the state can't handle the number of people it's servicing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari Departs On 3-day-visit To Kenya (full Details ) / Presidency Reverses Okoi Obono-Obla's Suspension / We’ll No Longer Recognise Results Obtained Under Duress – INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.