Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? (7167 Views)

Loyalty In Relationships: Are Black Women Too Loyal To Black Men / Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? / Are Africans Proud Of Black Americans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:06am On Dec 05, 2012
THIS MY ANALYSIS:
I spend a lot of time online esp on forums(African forums in this case)
I realized that Africans in those forums(esp NL) tend to use a way too much the word "MONKEY" whether they are are dissing,joking criticizing their fellow countrymen.
We all criticize Ba and their ni99a this ni99a that attitude,we are all offended when a white man or AYANLE call us ni99er or Monkey etc but why is that we are eager and even happy to call our countrymen and fellow Africans MONKEY?

IS it genetic to the so called "Black-race" we saw how it started with BA the white man called/call them ni99er/ni99a and now you see them ni99a this ni99a that even the educated one(most in private 4 them).Do you know the reasons they gave me? well they told me that they now own the word(a kind of appropriation) don't really know what it means owning a word undecided.

Are we then seeing an appropriation of the word "Monkey" by Africans. will Africans start calling each other "Monkey" in the street?
Keep in mind that i'm not blaming anyone cause we are all wrong, i even understand some people who can't bring up arguments(no by force) when arguing and will rather insult you.
I will go further in the look section : guess what none of you created a person or manufactured a body ,so who are you to say that OBJ,TINUBU,X and Y look like apes/monkey who the hell are you ,most of you don't even have a pic profile but yet they are the first and the most violent in their shooting (e.g: look at this ape , this ape ,some go further and dare call a whole Ethnicity(Ape looking) what the heck?

My brothers and sister change this attitude ,stop cursing/insulting each other cause guess what if you don't value and empower yourself and your people no one will do it.
Ps: it's is more current in Anglophone forum.
my 2cents
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by somalia5: 2:09am On Dec 05, 2012
very interesting, it would depend on which africans ur talking about

i as a somali dont get upset if someone calls me a monkey cause am not.
same for north africans and ethiopians and eritreans

monkey seems tailormade for those with negroid or congoid features
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:16am On Dec 05, 2012
MOD FRONT PAGE PLEASE
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:20am On Dec 05, 2012
From my Knowledge, Using the Term "Monkey/Ape" to describe an individuals way of thinking is not racist.

It is used to described a more primitive form of processing within that particular human's logic and reasoning.

Now....

With that Being Said...

Using Monkey/Ape/Gorilla ect. to Describe a person's physical appearance has a racist connotation.

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by odumchi: 2:21am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: MOD FRONT PAGE PLEASE

How would I have seen this front page request If I didn't click on this thread? We have a system set up to take care of this but no one seems to be taking advantage of it, so I think it needs to be enforced.

Please repost your front page request on this thread if you want it to be officially considered. I apologize for any inconveniences.

https://www.nairaland.com/1004554/promoting-culture-board-frontpage
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:26am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:
From my Knowledge, Using the Term "Monkey/Ape" to describe an individuals way of thinking is not racist.

It is used to described a more primitive form of processing within that particular human's logic and reasoning.

Now....

With that Being Said...

Using Monkey/Ape/Gorilla ect. to Describe a person's physical appearance has a racist connotation.

BOTH ARE INSULTING

1) Way of thinking: nobody ,no scientists can explain or show the way Monkey/ape thinks ,since their is no instrument to measure the way someone think i don't get why we use :"you think like a monkey" when arguing,furthermore how can a Human-being think like a monkey?
2) you right 100%
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:27am On Dec 05, 2012
odumchi:

How would I have seen this front page request If I didn't click on this thread? We have a system set up to take care of this but no one seems to be taking advantage of it, so I think it needs to be enforced.

Please repost your front page request on this thread if you want it to be officially considered. I apologize for any inconveniences.

https://www.nairaland.com/1004554/promoting-culture-board-frontpage
MY BAD I WAS NOT AWARE OF A THREAD LIKE THIS.
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:34am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: BOTH ARE INSULTING

1) Way of thinking: nobody ,no scientists can explain or show the way Monkey/ape thinks ,since their is no instrument to measure the way someone think i don't get why we use :"you think like a monkey" when arguing,furthermore how can a Human-being think like a monkey?
2) you right 100%

I believe the Objective of both is to be insulting. The target in question is suppose to be insulted by such usage.

I don't see the correlation to Primitive Thinking and Africans though, Unless you are implying such

I have seen this usage used by two non Africa Residing Individuals.

It's often used to describe Behavior.

Such as the Phrase "Stop Monkeying Around"

Its usage when referencing behavior and thinking is not designated to People who inhabit the continent of Africa.

I also think it's safe to say a Human is far more progressive in Logic and Advanced Reasoning than a Mere Monkey.

1 Like

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:48am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

I believe the Objective of both is to be insulting. The target in question is suppose to be insulted by such usage.
of course the objective is to be insulting .how can i think like an ape if you don't think i'm one.

I don't see the correlation to Primitive Thinking and Africans though, Unless you are implying such.[/quote] i don't see a correlation either. just wondering why Africans tend to use that to each other. but i have to ask what is exactly a primitive thinking?

I have seen this usage used by two non Africa Residing Individuals.[/quote] this word(Ape/Monkey) is primarily used by White racist tho nowadays the word is illegal and enforced. we ll know that he is still used towards "Black" and Africans esp by sports fans.

It's often used to describe Behavior.[/quote] how does a human act/behave like an ape?

Such as the Phrase "Stop Monkeying Around"[/quote] never heard ! tell me more about that.^

Its usage when referencing behavior and thinking is not designated to People who inhabit the continent of Africa.[/quote] irrelevant. I'm against African using the word monkey/ape to describe/insult etc their countrymen/others Africans.

I also think it's safe to say a Human is far more [b]progressive in Logic [/b]and Advanced Reasoning than a Mere Monkey.
[/quote] what/how is a regressive logic?
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 2:59am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: what/how is a regressive logic?

You don't have to have "regressive" logic for an individual subject,person,party,or thing to present more Progressive Logic....

Case in Point...

You can run faster than an Individual...However that Does not mean because you are running faster, he/she/or it is running backwards....

You see?.

Advanced Logic, Advanced Reasoning.

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:07am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

I don't see the correlation to Primitive Thinking and Africans though, Unless you are implying such

I have seen this usage used by two non Africa Residing Individuals.

It's often used to describe Behavior.

Such as the Phrase "Stop Monkeying Around"

Its usage when referencing behavior and thinking is not designated to People who inhabit the continent of Africa.

I also think it's safe to say a Human is far more progressive in Logic and Advanced Reasoning than a Mere Monkey.
then what do you mean by that? if i present/give you to human ,on which bases are u going to make your judgement.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:10am On Dec 05, 2012
I also have often heard, Nigerians refer to other Nigerians as Goat as a derogatory word.

Not sure if i spelled it right or not. Whether it's a form of slang or not. Not sure.

But if that is the Case.

Is using one Animal as a Derogatory Word any Different than the Next Animal?

When Whites use terms like "Monkey" to refer to blacks and black athletes via Monkey Chants. That is Racist.

That is Racism, because like i said, they are using it only towards individuals who present a certain appearance

However on Nairaland. In the "Font" World....when using the term Monkey/Ape or any other Animal...It is usually presented to devalue the person's Knowledge

By merely implying the Human in question is of a more simplistic primitive creation of processing.

As i said. Monkey when used to describe a person's appearance is Racist.

Monkey when used to describe a person's thinking is not Racist.

1 Like

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:10am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

You don't have to have "regressive" logic for an individual subject,person,party,or thing to present more Progressive Logic....

Case in Point...

You can run faster than an Individual...However that Does not mean because you are running faster, he/she/or it is running backwards....

You see?.

Advanced Logic, Advanced Reasoning.

your example doesn't answer my question . when it does mean the guy is running backwards it doesn't mean he is not either. my question stands
how is a logic regressive? and what is a regressive logic?
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:14am On Dec 05, 2012
Firstly, You must explain the correlation between Two Nigerian/African Forum Members using this term on someone, and how is it deemed a form of Racist Usage Parallel to it's usage by Non-Blacks to describe an Appearance.

I don't see how one has anything to do with the other.

An example would be...

Monkey Used to describe a more primitive state of understanding has no correlation to the "monkey" chant symbolic gestures made by white racist sports fans, and non "Blacks".

Two Completely Different Things.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:18am On Dec 05, 2012
I was watching ESPN First take earlier last week. Terrell Suggs( A Black Man) said these exact words to Skip Bayless(White Man)

"Skip first of all, you sound like a Neanderthall".

Now, is this Racist ?. No

Why not?

Because he was countering his point and expressing a reference to a behavior set and reasoning skip was displaying

Now...

Had suggs said this..

"First of all skip you look like a Neanderthall.

Would that have been racist?

Absolutely.

As i said, for the 3rd time...

Monkey when used to describe a person's appearance is Racist.

^^^
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:21am On Dec 05, 2012
When you hear Monkey Chants at Football Games...to degrade black players

Do they perform monkey chants for the Person's way of "Thinking" or their "Appearance"?

.......Exactly.

4rth Time....

Monkey when used to describe a person's appearance is Racist.

Monkey when used to describe a person's thinking is not Racist

^^^
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:23am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:
I also have often heard, Nigerians refer to other Nigerians as Goat as a derogatory word.

Not sure if i spelled it right or not. Whether it's a form of slang or not. Not sure.

But if that is the Case.

When Whites use terms like "Monkey" to refer to blacks and black athletes via Monkey Chants. That is Racist.

That is Racism, because like i said, they are using it only towards individuals who present a certain appearance

However on Nairaland. In the "Font" World....when using the term Monkey/Ape or any other Animal...It is usually presented to devalue the person's Knowledge

By merely implying the Human in question is of a more simplistic primitive creation of processing.

when did i call them racists? undecided
i said it is stupid to call someone with a derogatory word which is constantly use against you and your people(race/Africans)
3) m against any kind of insult but you must admit that calling someone a ni99er is different than calling him a fool. undecided
4)Monkey to describe a person is racist when used by another race and is wrong/awful when use by the persons of the same group(when esp the word in uestion is still use derogatory against your group)->it's not a secret what the others think Africans are monkey.
5) Monkey is also racist when describing a person's reasoning. one can only think/reason like a monkey if he is a monkey. why we never hear someone saying this hen/elephant think like a monkey ?both are racist(appearance and reasoning). i few word a Human can't look or think like a Monkey.

And Africans should stop using this derogatory word .you don't see Angry jews calling themselves stingy or dirty jews.
you don't see yoruba calling themselves Yoruba.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:23am On Dec 05, 2012
I have often seen both you and Kandii make this same egregious error.

"Monkey" only has a derogatory form of racist usage when referencing Appearance, Not the Mind.

It's Derogatory when referencing the Mind. However, not Racist in that Context.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:27am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

But if that is the Case.

you are going off topic .i have never implied Africans using this word were racist. i'm calling out their stupidity. i believe no one should degrade himself.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:28am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: when did i call them racists? undecided

You started a thread by correlating it's Racial Usage to it's intellectual usage by means of Degrading parallels

However, the forms of degradation differ. Which is why your Thread has incorrect sociological similarities.

You also made the same mistake as you engaged in within the original post, by posting what is written in the rest of the quote i am replying to seen below.

CAMEROONPRIDE:
i said it is stupid to call someone with a derogatory word which is constantly use against you and your people(race/Africans)
3) m against any kind of insult but you must admit that calling someone a ni99er is different than calling him a fool. undecided
4)Monkey to describe a person is racist when used by another race and is wrong/awful when use by the persons of the same group(when esp the word in uestion is still use derogatory against your group)->it's not a secret what the others think Africans are monkey.
5) Monkey is also racist when describing a person's reasoning. one can only think/reason like a monkey if he is a monkey. why we never hear someone saying this hen/elephant think like a monkey ?both are racist(appearance and reasoning). i few word a Human can't look or think like a Monkey.

And Africans should stop using this derogatory word .you don't see Angry jews calling themselves stingy or dirty jews.
you don't see yoruba calling themselves Yoruba.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:29am On Dec 05, 2012
I am not saying you are calling Them Racist...

What i am saying is you are drawing incorrect Parallels
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:34am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:
I have often seen both you and Kandii make this same egregious error.

"Monkey" is only has a derogatory form of racist usage when referencing Appearance, Not the Mind.

It's Derogatory when referencing the Mind. However, not Racist in that Context.
i insist both form are racist .
if we go deep in the creation of this word(his derogatory form) we can see that .Europeans have always thought that African can't think. in fact they think we are retards .some of their scientists even published those kind of researches .which makes my say that the animal insult was due to our incapacity to think(according to them) and Monkey has only be chosen because he is the animal among the others who looks more like a human.
that's it
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:40am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

You started a thread by correlating it's Racial Usage to it's intellectual usage by means of Degrading parallels

However, the forms of degradation differ. Which is why your Thread has incorrect sociological similarities.

You also made the same mistake as you engaged in within the original post, by posting what is written in the rest of the quote i am replying to seen below.

i don't deny the intellectual correlation in fact we are on a faceless forum therefore people are judged by their thinking/mind attitude.
the fact that the degradation differs doesn't mean that the other one is not one. when mind and appearance are parallels in the society. on this forum both are in an incestuous relation : you are called monkey if you are "ugly" or called monkey if your comments don't "add up" get it?

for the racist chants/fans this was to point out the racist connotation of the word.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 3:42am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: i insist both form are racist .
if we go deep in the creation of this word(his derogatory form) we can see that .Europeans have always thought that African can't think. in fact they think we are retards .some of their scientists even published those kind of researches .which makes my say that the animal insult was due to our incapacity to think(according to them) and Monkey has only be chosen because he is the animal among the others who looks more like a human.
that's it

I completely disagree

Certain Derogatory Words have multiple meanings within each form of Usage

Which means, the political stance against one form can not intertwine with another

For example...

If i called this young lady...A sloppy Pig.

Am i Automatically Racist because she is white?

or am I just referencing her Lovely Shape and Highly Attractive Charming Figure?

Now the Word "Pig" Certainly has a Racist Connotation

However, Was This Comment a Form of Racism?

Absolutely Not.

Should all White Women who make comments about Fat People not be allowed to Engage in the Usage of the Word "Pig" as a Derogatory Adjective?

Absolutely Not.

Therefor, why should Blacks not be allowed to use "Monkey" when referencing Stupidity...?.. Especially when the usage is completely unrelated.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by odumchi: 3:44am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: MY BAD I WAS NOT AWARE OF A THREAD LIKE THIS.
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Done! No prob.
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:01am On Dec 05, 2012
Ps : let's keep in mind that we live in a society of double standard
now there is a semantic difference in those cases :
a)if someone says to the fat person: "white pig" this has a racist connotation(when used by someone who's not white). whether it meant it or not
b)if he says : pig or you look like a pig (whether you are white or not no one will see a racist connotation)
c)this white girl/woman look like a pig (some people may see a racist connotation and ask why the emphasis on the race)this is the result of our double standard/racist society where any emphasis on the "race"/color is seen as racist
again you are trying to make it looks like a racism issue what white decide to do is irrelevant here.

how can you say that it is not related those NL are calling you monkey when arguing because of two reasons you are "BLACK"/AFRICANS and they don't get you argument or your argument doesn't add up.
Black should not use the word monkey due to his derogatory nature . call a fool a fool not a monkey
.stop denying the relation there is no innocent kid who will call you Monkey if you are ugly .or monkey if you say something stupid .only someone who clearly knows the racist connotation and is trying pain u.
another proof of this relation is there is no black/African who will call a white man "Monkey" when arguing .another derogatory will be used in such case.and you know that
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:04am On Dec 05, 2012
ps: pig has nothing to do with the race and you know that .people just call fat people pig regardless the color of their skin. undecided
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:12am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: ps: pig has nothing to do with the race and you know that .people just call fat people pig regardless the color of their skin. undecided

Pig is Racist To Whites in the Same Context Monkey is Racist to Blacks.

CAMEROONPRIDE:
how can you say that it is not related those NL are calling you monkey when arguing because of two reasons you are "BLACK"/AFRICANS and they don't get you argument or your argument doesn't add up.
Black should not use the word monkey due to his derogatory nature . call a fool a fool not a monkey
.stop denying the relation there is no innocent kid who will call you Monkey if you are ugly .or monkey if you say something stupid .only someone who clearly knows the racist connotation and is trying pain u.
another proof of this relation is there is no black/African who will call a white man "Monkey" when arguing .another derogatory will be used in such case.and you know that

You keep making the same mistake..despite the Myriad of examples i keep providing to destroy this argument

Ok, lets take the post history of 2 nairalanders

Myself

And

Ayanle

Look at the references used by Ayanle when he is using the word Monkey on Nairaland.

Then look at Either Myself or anyone else on Nairaland who uses the Word Monkey

Is it not clearly different?

Therefor, how can you tell an individual not to use this word, because the usage by "Another User" with "Another Agenda" is using it in a different form

You see the flaw in your argument, Which is why you tried to claim "pig" is not a racist word to describe white people. When it has been for years.

If "Pig" has nothing to do with Race, how on Earth do Monkeys?.....

Think about the contradiction you are posing.

Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:13am On Dec 05, 2012
~Royal~:

Absolutely Not.

Therefor, why should Blacks not be allowed to use "Monkey" when referencing Stupidity...?.. Especially when the usage is completely unrelated.[/i][/color]
the question should be why called someone(African) who is stupid a Monkey? do you call an aggressive cat a tiger? call a fool a fool
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by somalia5: 4:23am On Dec 05, 2012
royal plz dont raaaape him? for he is only a child, he knows not what he does

i use the word monkey to describe black people
Re: Is "Monkey" To Africans As "Nigga" Is To Black Americans? by Nobody: 4:24am On Dec 05, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: the question should be why called someone(African) who is stupid a Monkey? do you call an aggressive cat a tiger? call a fool a fool

Monkeys/Apes have always been used throughout history as a Source of Comedy from a behavior point of View.

Just look at the Lucrative Circus Industry.

Look at how Apes and Monkey's are depicted in Movies.

This has absolutely zero to do with it's Racial Parallels.

You are defining the word monkey...to mean Black African. [size=16pt]Solely[/size]

As if there are no other forms of Derogatory Usage.

Why are Athletes who can Run Fast with High Gallops Commonly referred to as "A Gazelle"

Why are Large Hairy Males commonly referred to as "Bears" in the Sexxxual industry?

If you are Opposed to Animal Usage to Describe individuals....then you must be Anti-Animal-Usage for ALL Humans, not just Black Africans.

Are you Saying Usage of Animal/Human Comparisons on the Large Scale be eradicated?..

Or...

Only the Word Monkey?...

Which One is It?.

The Highest Grossing Black Athlete in the World was Nicknamed Tiger FFS.

So Goats,Tigers,Lions,Bears,Pigs are Appropriate...Just not Monkeys?.

LoL....So it's ok to describe a 4 Legged Beast when referencing a Man's Speed, but thou shall not use "Monkey" to reference behavior Traits.

Oh really?.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is An Igbo?definition / Myths About Nigerian Tribes / Nigerian Kids Born In The U.s Going Back To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.