Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? (18650 Views)

Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill / Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead / Questions For Christians: Is the Catholic Church The First Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 05, 2012
Which of the Churches was Christ referring to in the passage below:

Matthew 16:17-19 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

I have observed that most Catholics believe that Jesus was actually referring to them in the passages I quoted above.

I want to know your views on this because most Catholics believe they are the one true Church and other Churches are hell bound. I'm not a Church goer and personally do not believe that going to Church is necessary or compulsory for salvation, but I'd still like to know your views on this!

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 05, 2012
seriallink: Which of the Churches was Christ referring to in the passage below:

Matthew 16:17-19 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

I have observed that most Catholics believe that Jesus was actually referring to them in the passages I quoted above.

I want to know your views on this because most Catholics believe they are the one true Church and other Churches are hell bound. I'm not a Church goer and personally do not believe that going to Church is necessary or compulsory for salvation, but I'd still like to know your views on this!

Thank you.

I need your contributions on this people!
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 05, 2012
seriallink:

I need your contributions on this people!

Good evening,

I really do not like commenting on matters that have to do with a particular church cause I see this as dividing the body of christ. But I couldn't help but say my bit cause I think you have been misinformed about what the view of the Catholic church concerning other christians is. I guess this misinformation came about because you might have spoken to some "over zealous" catholics whom I want to believe meant no harm.

It is true that Catholics believe that the Catholic church is the one true church and this claim they have tried to back up by given a long chain of unbroken succession of popes right from the days of the Apostles with St Peter being the first. But it is not true that the Catholic church believe that members of other denominations are on their way to hell.

Catholics bellieve that when Christ made that solemn promise to Peter and his church, he was actually referring to all who would come to believe in Christ and become members of his body. For someone to be a member of the body of Christ, that person has to be "born again" i.e he has to be born of water and the spirit. Hence when Christ talked about his church, he actually meant the community of believers.

Christ intended his church, or better still, his body to be one just as he and his father are one. He prayed for this at the Garden of Gethsemane. But sadly, instead of having just one community, we have a whole lot and more are springing up everyday.

39 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 06, 2012
striktlymi:

Good evening,

I really do not like commenting on matters that have to do with a particular church cause I see this as dividing the body of christ. But I couldn't help but say my bit cause I think you have been misinformed about what the view of the Catholic church concerning other christians is. I guess this misinformation came about because you might have spoken to some "over zealous" catholics whom I want to believe meant no harm.

It is true that Catholics believe that the Catholic church is the one true church and this claim they have tried to back up by given a long chain of unbroken succession of popes right from the days of the Apostles with St Peter being the first. But it is not true that the Catholic church believe that members of other denominations are on their way to hell.

Catholics bellieve that when Christ made that solemn promise to Peter and his church, he was actually referring to all who would come to believe in Christ and become members of his body. For someone to be a member of the body of Christ, that person has to be "born again" i.e he has to be born of water and the spirit. Hence when Christ talked about his church, he actually meant the community of believers.

Christ intended his church, or better still, his body to be one just as he and his father are one. He prayed for this at the Garden of Gethsemane. But sadly, instead of having just one community, we have a whole lot and more are springing up everyday.

Nice one, thanks for your input Bros.

4 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 11:53am On Dec 06, 2012
seriallink:
I want to know your views on this because most Catholics believe they are the one true Church and other Churches are hell bound.

Do most Catholics you meet (or even any Catholic at all) actually tell you they believe other "churches" are hellbound or you are just deliberately misrepresenting our position as usual?

6 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 06, 2012
^^^Italo the Pope grin why would I misinterpret your postition? Most of you Catholics on the religion section have always condemned other Churches claiming that yours is the one true Church started by Christ Himself.

Hey brah, I ain't no Church goer like I stated above, I just need answers from sincere Catholics on this! It seems most of you Catholic regulars in this section are disingenuous debaters!! Even you, italo, have quoted the scripture above many times as proof that your Church is the one and only true Church!

So, do you have anything to contribute on this topic or you're just trolling as usual?

2 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 06, 2012
Good day again,

Don't you think the "most" you used might not be the true position? I do not doubt that you have had some encounters with "some" catholics in this section of nairaland (religion section) but to conclude that "most" catholics who patronize this section are guilty of what you claim would suggest that you know the total population of Catholics who patronize this section. And you also know the number who act in such way." Most" suggests more than 50 percent and there is no way of you knowing this without knowing the numbers.

seriallink: ^^^Italo the Pope grin why would I misinterpret your postition? Most of you Catholics on the religion section have always condemned other Churches claiming that yours is the one true Church started by Christ Himself.

Hey brah, I ain't no Church goer like I stated above, I just need answers from sincere Catholics on this! It seems most of you Catholic regulars in this section are disingenuous debaters!! Even you, italo, have quoted the scripture above many times as proof that your Church is the one and only true Church!

So, do you have anything to contribute on this topic or you're just trolling as usual?

1 Like

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by TeenageMoney(m): 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2012
I rather join muslim than go to anyother church....

All tackling Catholic from every angle...

Well, that was hw Christ was tackled in his days....

@op, Which Church was in Existence b4 Catholic

If there is any, then that is the church... But if there isnt, u can now answer youur question urrself

11 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by holyvirgin: 8:21pm On Dec 06, 2012
@serialkiller you and your anti-catholic thread! Since when do catholics believe other protestants wil go to hell? Haba, i see the likes of you and other pharisees post on how d catholics worshp mary, idols and are hell bound and you turnaround to accuse us? Get a life or may be a job

6 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Boomark(m): 8:44pm On Dec 06, 2012
holyvirgin: @serialkiller you and your anti-catholic thread! Since when do catholics believe other protestants wil go to hell? Haba, i see the likes of you and other pharisees post on how d catholics worshp mary, idols and are hell bound and you turnaround to accuse us? Get a life or may be a job

Hahaha...

Brah seriallink, she don change ur name o. Wetin you dey kill?

1 Like

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by holyvirgin: 9:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
Boomark:

Hahaha...

i am not a 'she' fyi.
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by ichuka(m): 9:05pm On Dec 06, 2012

If there is any, then that is the church... But if there isnt, u can now answer youur question urrself[/

To the angel of the Church in Ephesus..Rev2:1.
And to the angel of the Church in Smyrna..Rev2:8.
And to the angel of the Church in Pergamum Rev2:13.
And to the angel of the Church in Thyatira..Rev2:18.
And all the Churches shall know that i am He who searches mind and heart..Rev2:23.
And to the angel of the in Sardis..Rev3:1.
And to the angel of the Church in Philadelpha.Rev3:7.
And to the angel of the Church Laodice Rev3:14.

2 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 11:10pm On Dec 06, 2012
seriallink: ^^^Italo the Pope grin why would I misinterpret your postition? Most of you Catholics on the religion section have always condemned other Churches claiming that yours is the one true Church started by Christ Himself.

Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about. Here it is:

seriallink:
I want to know your views on this because most Catholics believe they are the one true Church and other Churches are hell bound.

I challenge you to provide a quote of me or any other Catholic on nairaland saying that "other churches are hell bound."

If you can provide that, I will prove to you that that person is not in line with Church teaching...

...But if you cannot provide it, will you for once do the honourable thing by apologizing for telling another blatant lie just to discredit Catholics?

4 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 11:20pm On Dec 06, 2012
i.chuka:

If there is any, then that is the church... But if there isnt, u can now answer youur question urrself[/

And all the Churches shall know that i am He who searches mind and heart..Rev2:23.

2 questions.

1. Which ONE of these Churches was Christ then talking about in Matthew 16?

2. When did each of these Churches come into existence and when did the Catholic Church come into existence? Please provide proof of your answer...so that we can see which came first.

2 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by ichuka(m): 12:20am On Dec 07, 2012
italo:

2 questions.

1. Which ONE of these Churches was Christ then talking about in Matthew 16.
2. When did each of these Churches come into existence and when did the Catholic Church come into existence? Please provide proof of your answer...so that we can see which came first.
Dude even if an angel appears and tells you the truth you will not agree..Luke1:19
Moreover,Google is your friend
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 12:46am On Dec 07, 2012
i.chuka:

Good morning,
I believe u have some misconceptions about the quotations you made. Firstly, the quotations really do not prove that there existed a "church" or "some churches" before the catholic church. Secondly, the use of the word "church" actually refers to the community of God's people under christ.

Before Christ left this world, he gave his apostles an order to go forth into the world and spread the good news. This the apostles did with vigour after the out pouring of the promised paraclete (the Holy spirit). Everywhere the Apostles went, they managed to win converts for Christ. These converts made up pockets of communities in their various localities. At this time there was no official name given to this growing community. However, at Antioch the community of God's people were first tagged "Christians" by those who were not even believers beccause of the way they lived their lives. i.e they were "Christ-like".

The name "Christian" was not really popular with the believers of the time, hence the use of the word "church" to refer to these communities. It was necessary for the apostles to keep in contact with these respective communities via their letters in order to encourage them and give them directions since they could not be present with them physically because they had to continue with the work of spreading the gospel.

One basic fact about the "churches" then was that though they existed in different locations, they were still one under Christ, as Paul was quick to reproach those who wanted to create division by saying they belonged to Paul or Apolos. He made them understand that the community was one under Christ. Another proof of the unity of the "church" then was the disagreement that came up within one of such communities. Paul taught that the "gentiles" do not need to be circumsized before joining the community of God's people. This was vehemently refused by some believers of Jewish descent. The disagreement was settled at the "council of Jerusalem". The Apostles came together in prayer and deliberations to decide the fate of one of such "churches" and the whole of Christendom as regards this matter.

The first written record of the use of the word "catholic" which means "Universal" was made by a bishop, St Ignatius of Antioch in the year A.D. 107. St. Ignatius of Antioch in the Near East, was arrested, brought to Rome by armed guards and eventually martyred there in the arena. In a farewell letter which this early bishop and martyr wrote to his fellow Christians in Smyrna (today Izmir in modern Turkey). He wrote, "Where the bishop is present, there is the Catholic Church". Thus, the second century of Christianity had scarcely begun when the name of the Catholic Church was already in use, thereafter, mention of the name became more and more frequent in the written records.

10 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 1:01am On Dec 07, 2012
italo:

Don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about. Here it is:

I challenge you to provide a quote of me or any other Catholic on nairaland saying that "other churches are hell bound."

If you can provide that, I will prove to you that that person is not in line with Church teaching...

...But if you cannot provide it, will you for once do the honourable thing by apologizing for telling another blatant lie just to discredit Catholics?

Hey dude, if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute better get off my thread. I can see that you've started your normal activity (trolling)

3 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 1:24am On Dec 07, 2012
holyvirgin: @serialkiller you and your anti-catholic thread! Since when do catholics believe other protestants wil go to hell? Haba, i see the likes of you and other pharisees post on how d catholics worshp mary, idols and are hell bound and you turnaround to accuse us? Get a life or may be a job

And for you holyvirgin abi holydemon, if you don't have anything to say, you better get off my fĂșcking thread too tongue your likes are the reasons why I'm beginning to hate Catholics, because what you know best is insulting folks and twisting their comments. You even went to the extend of twisting my name. I thought you said you wanted to become an atheist because Christians bash each other everyday? I could remember advising you and even quoting from the scripture to encourge you and you 're here derailing my own thread!!

Why take things personal every time huh? People like you make me sick!! Are you the Catholic Church? Or a Muslim that gets angry when his/her religion is being cricticized? We are Christians, we even ask questions about our creator much less talk of a mere Church started by humans! Why have you not crucify heathens who bash Christians and God on this board everyday?

Check my threads, have I ever created any thread against your Church? This is my first thread on the Catholic Church and it's a sincere question for straight forward folks not twisters and hypocrites! So, if you do not have any sincere contribution to make, get off!!!

I do not need your babylonic gist and questions here! Abeg get off my thread, if you no get any meaningful contribution to make jorh!!

Bunch of bigoted pharisees!! Smh for una

1 Like

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 1:38am On Dec 07, 2012
Boomark:

Hahaha...

Brah no mind dem haters!! When Christians ask Biblical questions, you don't see them; when atheists mock God's word or ask good questions about the existence God, you don't see them. But when it's the Catholic Church, you'll see them jumping and rioting all over the place like fanatics that they are!

I asked a question and brah striktlymi clarified me without any insult! But modern days pharisees like holydemon and his cohorts wished I never created the thread because they are guilty of doing what I wrote up there! Nonsense!!

1 Like

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 1:56am On Dec 07, 2012
striktlymi: Good day again,

Don't you think the "most" you used might not be the true position? I do not doubt that you have had some encounters with "some" catholics in this section of nairaland (religion section) but to conclude that "most" catholics who patronize this section are guilty of what you claim would suggest that you know the total population of Catholics who patronize this section. And you also know the number who act in such way." Most" suggests more than 50 percent and there is no way of you knowing this without knowing the numbers.

Sorry about the bolded, I actually meant 'most' catholic debaters in this section.

Thanks for your candid & intelligent contributions, I'm learning from them.

1 Like

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by ichuka(m): 3:32am On Dec 07, 2012
striktlymi:

Good morning,
I believe u have some misconceptions about the quotations you made. Firstly, the quotations really do not prove that there existed a "church" or "some churches" before the catholic church. Secondly, the use of the word "church" actually refers to the community of God's people under christ.

Before Christ left this world, he gave his apostles an order to go forth into the world and spread the good news. This the apostles did with vigour after the out pouring of the promised paraclete (the Holy spirit). Everywhere the Apostles went, they managed to win converts for Christ. These converts made up pockets of communities in their various localities. At this time there was no official name given to this growing community. However, at Antioch the community of God's people were first tagged "Christians" by those who were not even believers beccause of the way they lived their lives. i.e they were "Christ-like".

The name "Christian" was not really popular with the believers of the time, hence the use of the word "church" to refer to these communities. It was necessary for the apostles to keep in contact with these respective communities via their letters in order to encourage them and give them directions since they could not be present with them physically because they had to continue with the work of spreading the gospel.

One basic fact about the "churches" then was that though they existed in different locations, they were still one under Christ, as Paul was quick to reproach those who wanted to create division by saying they belonged to Paul or Apolos. He made them understand that the community was one under Christ. Another proof of the unity of the "church" then was the disagreement that came up within one of such communities. Paul taught that the "gentiles" do not need to be circumsized before joining the community of God's people. This was vehemently refused by some believers of Jewish descent. The disagreement was settled at the "council of Jerusalem". The Apostles came together in prayer and deliberations to decide the fate of one of such "churches" and the whole of Christendom as regards this matter.

The first written record of the use of the word "catholic" which means "Universal" was made by a bishop, St Ignatius of Antioch in the year A.D. 107. St. Ignatius of Antioch in the Near East, was arrested, brought to Rome by armed guards and eventually martyred there in the arena. In a farewell letter which this early bishop and martyr wrote to his fellow Christians in Smyrna (today Izmir in modern Turkey). He wrote, "Where the bishop is present, there is the Catholic Church". Thus, the second century of Christianity had scarcely begun when the name of the Catholic Church was already in use, thereafter, mention of the name became more and more frequent in the written records.
Morning,
My point is theres nothing like catholic/universal church in the time of the apostles.
Expect you want to add to the word of God.
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 4:10am On Dec 07, 2012
i.chuka:

Morning,
My point is theres nothing like catholic/universal church in the time of the apostles.
Expect you want to add to the word of God.

Good mornng to u too sir,

I understand the point you are trying to make but really, if we are to follow that line of thought then it would imply that the bible as we have it won't be valid today. First, when Christ was on earth there was nothing like the new testament, all we had was the old. Note also that Christ never commanded anyone to write a book when he was on earth. Also Christ never referred to his people as "Christians" does it mean that the use of it is wrong?

The community of believers continues to evolve from age to age as the spirit continues to guide, guard and inspire them. There are a lot of things that were revealed to the apostles which made it's way into sacred scripture but cannot be found in the old testament. Not everything is in the bible. There are records of other things done by the early Christians that did not make it's way to the bible. I believe I made reference of a second Century Christan (an early Christian)who used the word Catholic.

The questions I believe u should ponder on are:

1) Did God's spirit stopped inspiring his people after the Apostles?

2) Did the church founded by Christ go extinct after the death of the Apostles?

3) How did Christianity make its way to our present day?

4) Was there a broken line of succession in the leadership of the Church?

5) When Christ commanded Peter to feed and take care of his flock, did he intend it to end with Peter, knowing full well that the flock would last to this very day?

Thank you!

7 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 5:54am On Dec 07, 2012
seriallink:
Hey dude, if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute better get off my thread. I can see that you've started your normal activity (trolling)

I'm not trolling. I'm only asking you to prove your allegations against Catholics.

Just ONE quote from a Catholic saying "other churches are hell bound" shouldn't be so difficult if, as you say, most Catholics think so.

2 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 6:41am On Dec 07, 2012
seriallink:
And for you holyvirgin abi holydemon, if you don't have anything to say, you better get off my fĂșcking thread too tongue your likes are the reasons why I'm beginning to hate Catholics, because what you know best is insulting folks and twisting their comments. You even went to the extend of twisting my name.

This your kind of hypocrisy is even worse than that of the Pharisees. First, you twist his name, then you accuse him of twisting your name. You call yourself a "christian" but you are "beginning to hate Catholics" because, as you say, he insults you, but I can provide a catalogue of your insults on Catholics. Besides, what does Jesus say about loving and hating?

seriallink: Why take things personal every time huh? People like you make me sick!! Are you the Catholic Church? Or a Muslim that gets angry when his/her religion is being cricticized? We are Christians, we even ask questions about our creator much less talk of a mere Church started by humans! Why have you not crucify heathens who bash Christians and God on this board everyday?

What has he said that is untrue?

Have you answered his question? Do you not condemn Catholics accusing us of all those things?

seriallink: Check my threads, have I ever created any thread against your Church? This is my first thread on the Catholic Church and it's a sincere question for straight forward folks not twisters and hypocrites! So, if you do not have any sincere contribution to make, get off!!!

Stop pretending. He didn't say you created threadS. He said he has seen your POSTS condemning Catholics of sorts of things... Isn't that true? Don't you have dozens or maybe even hundreds of posts like that?

seriallink: I do not need your babylonic gist and questions here! Abeg get off my thread, if you no get any meaningful contribution to make jorh!!

Bigoted pharisees!! Smh for una

There goes the man who accuses Catholics of insulting him!

6 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 6:47am On Dec 07, 2012
i.chuka:

Dude even if an angel appears and tells you the truth you will not agree..Luke1:19
Moreover,Google is your friend

You have forgotten that we Catholics commune with Angels and Saints everyday, its one of the many thing the likes of you condemn us for. So I'm more likely to believe an Angel than you.

...And Google says The Catholic Church was started by Christ...and that all those churches you mentioned were one and the same, only separated by location... And they were Catholic.

Let's fac it, you have nothing credible to say, do you?

6 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 6:59am On Dec 07, 2012
seriallink:

Brah no mind dem haters!! When Christians ask Biblical questions, you don't see them; when atheists mock God's word or ask good questions about the existence God, you don't see them. But when it's the Catholic Church, you'll see them jumping and rioting all over the place like fanatics that they are!

There is no need to lie. I have answered many questions based on the Bible, answered many Atheists and even many Muslims... And even all these Atheists and Muslims know how hypocritical anti-Catholics are. Go and read the Bible... Jesus had harsher words for hypocrites who believed in God than for sincere pagans. So don't blame us for doing same.

seriallink: I asked a question and brah striktlymi clarified me without any insult! But modern days pharisees like holydemon and his cohorts wished I never created the thread because they are guilty of doing what I wrote up there! Nonsense!!

Where have I insulted you on this thread? The only thing holyvirgin said that might be offensive is that you should get a life and a job instead of being like the Pharisees... And I honestly think that's a good advice put in a harsh way.

...And you've said worse than that on this thread so why are you complaining hypocritically?

6 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by italo: 7:02am On Dec 07, 2012
seriallink:
Sorry about the bolded, I actually meant 'most' catholic debaters in this section.

Can you then quote just ONE of the "MOST Catholic debaters in this section" that said "other churches are hellbound?"

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by ichuka(m): 7:16am On Dec 07, 2012
italo:

You have forgotten that we Catholics commune with Angels and Saints everyday, its one of the many thing the likes of you condemn us for. So I'm more likely to believe an Angel than you.

...And Google says The Catholic Church was started by Christ...and that all those churches you mentioned were one and the same, only separated by location... And they were Catholic.

Let's fac it, you have nothing credible to say, do you?

So all the Churches i mentioned are Catholic? Loiz!!
Ok oo,if that's what your bible tells you.
Funny is an understated if being use to describe you.
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 07, 2012
@Italo, don't you change the topic of my thread! I hate replying your messages, you are derailing this thread with your usual attitude of 'ranting and fighting over nothing'!

Mr. Italo, you said I twisted holyvirgin's name first? Oh, so, you didn't see the part that he twisted mine to serialkiller huh? I think that would make him holydemon cheesy

Do I have to provide proofs to you? I'm sorry, I don't have time for that; retrace all your posts on Nairaland, I'm sure you are guilty of what I wrote up there that's why you are ranting all over the place. Why can't you contribute meaningfully to this thread and stop saying no Catholic has ever condemned other Christians on Nairaland? Are you the only Catholic I have ever engaged in a debate on NL?

This thread wasn't created for the purpose of the argument you are trying to bring up! I created it to understand why most Catholic I engage in debates resort to the passage I quoted above as proof that theirs is the only true Church!

Lets hear your views on that; however, if you do not have anything to contribute, I'll advise you stop trolling. Chikena

2 Likes

Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by ichuka(m): 7:28am On Dec 07, 2012
striktlymi:

Good mornng to u too sir,

I understand the point you are trying to make but really, if we are to follow that line of thought then it would imply that the bible as we have it won't be valid today. First, when Christ was on earth there was nothing like the new testament, all we had was the old. Note also that Christ never commanded anyone to write a book when he was on earth. Also Christ never referred to his people as "Christians" does it mean that the use of it is wrong?

The community of believers continues to evolve from age to age as the spirit continues to guide, guard and inspire them. There are a lot of things that were revealed to the apostles which made it's way into sacred scripture but cannot be found in the old testament. Not everything is in the bible. There are records of other things done by the early Christians that did not make it's way to the bible. I believe I made reference of a second Century Christan (an early Christian)who used the word Catholic.

The questions I believe u should ponder on are:

1) Did God's spirit stopped inspiring his people after the Apostles?

2) Did the church founded by Christ go extinct after the death of the Apostles?

3) How did Christianity make its way to our present day?

4) Was there a broken line of succession in the leadership of the Church?

5) When Christ commanded Peter to feed and take care of his flock, did he intend it to end with Peter, knowing full well that the flock would last to this very day?

Thank you!

Dude,the Holy Bible is more than enough for Christains.infact one/two verses from the bible is enough to last a Christain a life time.
Moreover your Evolution theory is not part of Christainity.
For God Changeth not,He is the same yesterday,2day and forever.
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 07, 2012
italo:

Can you then quote just ONE of the "MOST Catholic debaters in this section" that said "other churches are hellbound?"

Thank you.

You are one of those that are guilty of this, I'm sure! Do I have to do the search for you?? I don't have the time, do it yourself brah! This thread isn't about that like I stated above!

Brah, abeg no carry your beaf somewhere come infest my thread o!

Stop trolling!
Re: Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church? by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 07, 2012
i.chuka:

Dude,the Holy Bible is more than enough for Christains.infact one/two verses from the bible is enough to last a Christain a life time.
Moreover your Evolution theory is not part of Christainity.
For God Changeth not,He is the same yesterday,2day and forever.

Answer his questions and stop dodging it. Now let me add my own questions since you want us to reason like that.The churches you earlier listed where are there today? Is there anyword like bible in the bible? Was there any approved christian canon in the times of the apostles? All the gospels happen to be anonymous so how do we know there were written by their widely acclaimed authours?

This questions are just to prove to you that you really cannot do without sacred apostolic tradition.That is how the ternminologies 'catholic curch' and 'bible' came about

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

CAN On Fuel Scarcity: This Looks Like An Attempt To Sabotage X-mas Celebrations / Free Sex Japan!!! / Seductive And Subtle Pornographic Content That Deposit Lusts In Your Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.